Goods 4 Girls: Helping African Girls One Pad at a Time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
According to the commercials on tv, Always and Tampax are distributing menstrual pads and tampons in Africa so that girls don't have to miss school because of not being able to manage their periods. I think that the concept is great, but also disturbing. It seems in a low income society, reusable menstrual pads would be a wiser choice. Why encourage the dependence on disposable pads in a society that cannot afford to purchase them? (In Zimbabwe, a box of 20 tampons costs half a month's wages.) And why increase the amount of waste that needs to be properly disposed of?

I just saw this new program, Goods 4 Girls, that is organizing the donation and distribution of reusable menstrual pads to African girls in areas with adequate water for washing the pads. It is a new program. If you would like, you can sew your own pads and mail them in for distribution, you can order pads from online vendors and have them shipped to Goods 4 Girls, or you can mail a monetary donation to the program.

I just wanted to pass along the information in case it is a cause any of you would like to support.

User Tag List