So how are you involved??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always berated myself for lack of action. I don't want to be one of those people that just bitches about things and doesn't really work for change. Of course I take action in my personal life, like recycling, using cloth products, reducing consumption, voting, etc. but nothing really political. I often don't feel like I have time for anything but I think I would be so much happier if I felt like I was actually working toward a better world and not just dreaming about it. So what do you do?
#2 of 4 Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I write letters for Amnesty International. That's something I can do in my spare time. I go to rallies for causes I support (anti-war, save Darfur, etc.). The kids like these things because there's usually music and dancing. I also just joined our local Make Poverty History group and am trying to get a sub-committee on fairer trade and better aid started (not having much luck, though).
#3 of 4 Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Writing letters for Amnesty International and writing to your congresspeople are great ideas, and the Internet makes them super easy! The AI website has a letter-writing section where they have letters prewritten for you, and the e-mail addresses to send them to, for helping political prisoners. The same goes for lots of political groups who want you to write your congressional representative; all you have to do is copy and paste the text into your e-mail.

That said, both of these kinds of letter writing are more effective in real life, so if you have time to print out the letters and stick them in an envelope, that's even better and hardly takes any more time! And good for you for wanting to work for change--every person who does a little makes a difference.
#4 of 4 Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjulie View Post
Writing letters for Amnesty International and writing to your congresspeople are great ideas, and the Internet makes them super easy! The AI website has a letter-writing section where they have letters prewritten for you, and the e-mail addresses to send them to, for helping political prisoners. The same goes for lots of political groups who want you to write your congressional representative; all you have to do is copy and paste the text into your e-mail.

That said, both of these kinds of letter writing are more effective in real life, so if you have time to print out the letters and stick them in an envelope, that's even better and hardly takes any more time! And good for you for wanting to work for change--every person who does a little makes a difference.
I worked in Washington, DC for a US Congressman. Many of them pay little attention to "cut and paste" letters. If you take that letter and re-write in your own words or edit in some way, you will be much more likely to get the Congressman's attention.

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page