Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-23-2003, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that we don't have.

Australian protesters condemn Bush over Iraq

Quote:
Chanting "Go home Bush" and "Warmongers Out Out Out", around 5,000 protesters earlier stood outside the parliament building as Bush defended his administration's wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Quote:
Slogans such as "Bush is an evil guy" and "Lying war heads" were daubed on posters.
Quote:
The crowd applauded as protesters carried an effigy of Bush followed closely by a dog wearing a mask of Howard, who strongly supported the war.
Go get 'em Australia!!!

Too bad our voices of opposition would not be allowed close enough to be heard - let alone in the chambers!!! Of course, even if there was a large protest, our *press* wouldn't cover it.............

*sigh*

I'm off to fold some cranes.

El
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-24-2003, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Well, whadua' know..........Mother Jones mag gets my point! (I realize many here don't bcuz I suck at expressing it in print)

Please, No Pictures!

Quote:
Reporters Without Borders, a media advocacy group, has just released its second annual World Press Freedom Ranking, and the U.S., sad to say, didn't do so well. In fact, we came in behind Trinidad, Benin, Slovakia and Uruguay, among many others (although well ahead of Cuba and North Korea) as a respecter of press freedom
Quote:
The administration wants Americans to think that media coverage, not current policy, is the problem. But the evidence, in measured in bombings, casualties, and body bags, points to the opposite conclusion. The Washington Post reported that the White House recently banned the media depiction of returning coffins:
As a person who will never, ever forget the images of Vietnam, let me tell you (again) how terrible I think this is. We are a nation that barely realizes we are at war.

Freedom of press..................yeah, right.

El
#3 of 11 Old 10-24-2003, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Els' 3 Ones
As a person who will never, ever forget the images of Vietnam, let me tell you (again) how terrible I think this is. We are a nation that barely realizes we are at war.
I remember during dinner when the news was on and images of injured/dying/dead american soldiers were shown and that seemed to do a lot to sway the public. Now a days in the internet US news I see only charred remains of trucks - or empty boots - but none of the gruesome stuff (which, actually I'm relieved about) - but I wonder - could this sanitization be problematic?
#4 of 11 Old 10-24-2003, 10:27 PM

Fear not! The good Res. Dubya proudly proclaimed in our Parliament "I love freedom of speech"! I'm sure that when he returns to the USA he will set about ensuring that the media, academics, citizens, all enjoy the right to say what they want! Freedom of the press will return!

Susan
#5 of 11 Old 10-24-2003, 10:47 PM

oh, i feel so reassured :

#6 of 11 Old 10-25-2003, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Uh, shouldn't you be watching the new Joe millionaire series, or Survivor? What's the matter with you??? War? You're joking me. We are the champions of the world.
#7 of 11 Old 10-25-2003, 01:46 AM

I feel like I'm missing something here :

How does this article highlight rights american citizens don't have? Is it that it was reported? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just not getting it

#8 of 11 Old 10-25-2003, 03:18 AM

Thanks Hilary.

I think I finally came down with the flu today, it that explains my "just not getting it." I keep reading stuff and being like, "what am I missing?"

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the term "free speach zone." I *thought* that was supposed to be AMERICA (not around the corner, behind the fence, blah blah blah).

#9 of 11 Old 10-25-2003, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary
They are not restricted to fenced off areas X blocks away, where no-one can see.
200m exclusion zone around a locked down parliament house while bush was there - but yeah there were visible protesters
#10 of 11 Old 10-26-2003, 07:35 PM

yes Bob Brown and Kerry Nettle did make some noise , refused to be removed and were banned from attending the next day for Hu"s address

two Tibetans were removed at Hu's request! he calls the shots in our parliament
#11 of 11 Old 10-26-2003, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TiredX2
Thanks Hilary.

I think I finally came down with the flu today, it that explains my "just not getting it." I keep reading stuff and being like, "what am I missing?"

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the term "free speach zone." I *thought* that was supposed to be AMERICA (not around the corner, behind the fence, blah blah blah).
What you need to do is get creative. Cover your "real" posters with pro-bush rhetoric and then right before he passes you pull off the "cover" and wave your "real" banner in his face. You have to get a group of people to do it and you all have to keep straight enough faces just long enough to pull it off.

If you can keep from gagging while you say "Zeig Heil" to the new Fuhrer for a few minutes the SS (Secret Service...LOL) will probably not think twice. By the time they do think, it'll be too late.

MNS

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page