Help me save this park for future generations - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1 Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so upset and angry over this!!!

For those of you who have never heard of it, Creve Coeur Park is a huge, beautiful, serene park in Maryland Heights, a suburb of St. Louis, MO. I grew up living right next to it and remember many school field trips there as well as weekly trips with friends and family. It is truly breathtakingly beautiful, and the park area includes a large lake. The park is always full of people and it is one of the only places around where one can go to rollerblade, bike, sail, hike, picnic, fish etc. It is also home to a lot of wildlife and has areas for birdwatching. I believe the YMCA also holds a summer camp there.

Some years ago, the City of Maryland Heights allowed the Page Extension Highway to be built over the park, saying that it would not disturb the park since the highway would be built above it. Well, trust me it did! The park is now much noisier as you hear all the cars on the highway as they are going over it. I am sure that with this much noise some of the many animals who had made th park their home have left. Now they want to ruin the park completely. Here's the original text from a petition, describing what will be done just across the street from Creve Coeur Park:

The City of Maryland Heights wants to REZONE 200+ ACRES (an area larger than the lake) of agriculture farmland next to our park to mixed use, which will allow for 5.5 MILLION square feet of low-density residential town homes and condos, corporate office space & a retail strip mall anchored by a Wal-Mart!

And this won't affect the park at all.:

I don't want my beloved park to become littered with Wal-Mart bags and hamburger wrappers. I want to hear birds chirping not cars coming in and out of parking lots. I want the park to be safe for children to play in. Plus, there is a family farm right next to the park (Thies Farm) that my family has always bought from and I don't want my vegetables being raised next to a huge commercial zone.

Please help me conserve this park so my son can enjoy it as much as I did. Here's a link to the petition and the organization that started it and some more info about responsible growth in Maryland Heights. (Click on the far right tab on the pic for the petition)
http://savecrevecoeur.com/

This is something I feel very passionate about, and if you are as outraged as I am about this, please sign the petition and tell everyone about it. Even if you do not visit this park often or live near it we all need to stand up for conservation and tell our government we will not hand the natural beauty of this country to corporate interests!I will also be cross-posting this in the Activism board.

If you do take the time to sign this petition and spread the word, I just want to give you a big thank you:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page