formula feeding and not vaxing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-03-2004, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know alot of you don't vax since your breastfeeding and your kids have your antibodies. What do you do if your formula feeding? Anyone not vax and ff? The only thing I am still worried about is HIB, although Eliza isn't in daycare and I have no plans to put her in daycare that is the only disease I'm worried about. Anything else I would still not vax for and am still comfy not vaxing for except I have been thinking of Hib since I know bf protects against it but since Eliza isn't....what do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-03-2004, 02:48 AM

My son was formula fed, I only turned down the Chicken Pox so far and plan on declining the MMR. Everything else he was/will be vaxed to schedule.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#3 of 15 Old 02-03-2004, 03:37 AM
Banned

Sorry, I can't help with your decision, but there was a thread on here that talked about adding supplements to formula to help improve gut flora and the immune system. Here you go:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ula+supplement
#4 of 15 Old 02-03-2004, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Turquoise thanks for the link! And Laffnowcrylater thanks for your input also.
#5 of 15 Old 02-03-2004, 12:37 PM

I can't help you there. To me, I see not vaxing as linked to not formula feeding. The baby's gut is a vital part of the immune system, and the guts of breast fed babies are different than the guts of formula fed babies. I have a supportive family doc who is in total agreement that baby is generally protected, especially against pheumoccocal and Hib from breast milk. Some nights, when I feel exhausted from marathon breast feeding, I think about switching to formula, then I realize I would have to rethink my who approach to medical care. I probably would selectively vax if I weren't practicing exclusive breastfeeding. However, regarding Hib, there are actually very few cases of Hib in the U.S. now (not sure of the exact number). So, you would not be taking a huge risk to skip it, especially if the babe is past the age where meningitis is a big risk. Good luck!
#6 of 15 Old 02-03-2004, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
personally, I think if I FF my son I would be even LESS inclined to vax.

hugs

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#7 of 15 Old 02-03-2004, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
My mother produced five children. We weren't vaxed (nonbelievers). She tried to bf but was totally defeated by the system for the first two, who were born in the 40's, managed to nurse me for 3 months, nursed my little sister for 11 months and my little brother for at least 7 (maybe more, I can't remember). None of us were ever terribly ill with anything. We had all the normal childhood illnesses, measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox plus colds and flus and stuff. We didn't even get polio!

She did try to feed us a healthy diet and we ate a certain amount of organically grown stuff, but it was very hard to find in the 50's.

I think it is reasonably safe to skip vaxing even if you ff. If vaxes are toxic...

Nana
#8 of 15 Old 02-04-2004, 12:34 AM

I was a non-vaxing ff'er. He is obviously weaned now (almost 2).
I would be more concerned about teaching a child to wash hands, etc and building up a healthy gut than rushing out to get my kid jabbed.
We do have the occasional cold around here, but nothing on scale of the dire warnings from either LCs, about not BF. I was that 1% unable to, or from the nurses, about not vaxing. Despite being an active toddler on a farm, DS is still tetanus-free.
#9 of 15 Old 02-04-2004, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all . I was only concerned about hib but realized like some of you said, what makes that one any less toxic than the others. And if ff lowers the immune system or messes up the gut she would probably be worse vaxed than not. I say I'm comfy with my non vax decision but occassionally the non rational part of myself freaks for a second :LOL.
#10 of 15 Old 02-04-2004, 12:14 PM

My older two were formula fed (I was on steroids, ugh) and they are not fully vaccinated and won't be. Both are extremely healthy. I agree with another poster that I would be less willing to vaccinate a formula fed baby than a breastfed one.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#11 of 15 Old 02-05-2004, 05:48 AM

I agree that I'd be even less inclined to vax if ff. I'm glad you find comfort and support in talking out your fears, doubts, etc. with those of us on this board.
#12 of 15 Old 02-05-2004, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
POL, if you put probiotics powder in the formula, and something like Transfer factor, then that will go some way to making you feel less worried, because you will be doing more than just formula then.
ah, thanks hilary..something for me to remember for my ff friends...

hugs

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#13 of 15 Old 02-06-2004, 03:09 AM

Just wanted to say hello..My daughter was formula fed and I do not vaccinate her. I agree with the others in that I especially wouldn't vac and formula feed. Anyhow Sophie is almost 2 and got just a hint of the nasty flu from her cousin who is in daycare but other than that she hasn't ever been sick. I believe diet plays a large role in how healthy my dd is. If you have anything you want to know or ask about feel free to pm me. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone here
#14 of 15 Old 02-06-2004, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Meghan, thanks for sharing your story and the offer for info .

Hilary, yeah I have thought about that, thanks for the suggestion!!
#15 of 15 Old 02-09-2004, 01:44 PM

My ds was ff and has not, nor will be, vaccinated.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page