What causes autism? - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#271 of 306 Old 06-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
krissi -- there also isn't a lot of knowledge among the health community about the uranium in California groundwater. The Rockies have uranium ore in various places and people have been contaminated from coming into contact with it. But in the Sierras in California there are supposedly a lot of uranium deposits with the granite and the water filters through as it heads to the valley. But there have also been studies of various water basins in the San Joaquin Valley -- the dry lake beds -- and the levels of uranium are very high. It's not clear if it's because uranium has come down from the Sierras for years and has landed there as water evaporated or if there is some more sinister explanation. In talking to one person about this, I asked if there was a seasonality to the uranium levels and he said "it all depends on when the government dumps it."

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#272 of 306 Old 06-17-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissi
Could you tell me more about your experience with klebsiella? I am curious if you noticed it being associated with any specific symptoms. DS has been going through ultra clingy periods, unusually hyper episodes and some strange poop issues. I can't tell how much of this might be related to his dysbiosis and how much is just normal baby stuff. My holistic ped is not very helpful.
Yes, yes, and yes. What kind of strange poop issues? That will tell you everything you need to know IME.

When DS's poop is mush we've had all those things you mention, including more nightwaking, sleep fighting and SID things like not wanting to be touched and clothing issues. And also some ASD behaviors like toe walking, spinning and hand flapping appeared a few times too, again only when poop "goes to custard" to use an MT expression.

We spent a week without enzymes and probiotics recently for gut testing and that was very interesting from an observational standpoint. I fully believe had I not been so diligent about his diet from the minute he got full body eczema from starting cereals as his first food (and of course not vaxing) I would have an ASD child here. I still worry about this of course as his gut is no where near out of the woods.

I firmly believe a certain kind of hyperactivity is not at all normal and is very related to diet and gut health. A mother knows what is normal and what isn't for their child. My guy just cannot calm down and needs to have a meltdown at night and naps to sleep, that's not normal and there's been times when his digestion/poop has been excellent... and gee, his behavior is noticeably different too.
#273 of 306 Old 06-17-2006, 01:17 AM

Most kids with autistic spectrum not only have custard but it smells worse, and different.... sorry if that's TMI.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#274 of 306 Old 06-17-2006, 01:32 AM

Quote:
S007, that is a very interesting and thought provoking post! I had never thought of dogs getting autism and ADHD before. It is actually kind of heartbreaking to see that experts agree on some of the adverse effects of vaccines on dogs but not on children.
Thanks, krissi. It is heartbreaking. But I am certain that there are at least some experts who are very well aware of adverse reactions and because of that, don't vaccinate their own children. After all, there are pediatricians, doctors, nurses and workers in special needs services who either selectively vaccinate their own children or don't vaccinate them at all. They know about the dangers of vaccination because they are at the bottom of the cliff. Unfortunately, most people only meet these individuals when they find themselves at the bottom of the cliff, not while they're living in ignorance at the top.
#275 of 306 Old 06-17-2006, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
But see, dogs don't have neurotic owners, whereas kids have neurotic parents
Hence, your "illogical logic" above?! (Took me a little while to work that one out!):
#276 of 306 Old 06-17-2006, 02:05 AM

.... but... its perfectly logical. To them.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#277 of 306 Old 06-17-2006, 03:12 AM

Gale Force, that is so scary about the uranium. I have been giving DD calcium for a while but I think we will switch her to MCHC calcium after reading about it in the other thread. We're trying to supplement other minerals too. She was deficient in almost everything when we had her tested through Metametrix.

JaneS: Wow, thanks for the info. That sounds totally familiar. DS poop has been changing a lot but the issue right now is (possible TMI here) that it IS alternating between constipation and mush and it has an extremely strong odor of moldy cheese. He is getting into this hyper state where it's hard to figure out what to do with him and he looks a little crazed; reminiscent of DD when her yeast was totally out of control. He doesn't want to be held and spins in circles in my arms, but he also cries if I put him down on the floor even if I sit down next to him. He's having increasing trouble getting to sleep and appears sensitive to grains even if they're in my diet coming through breastmilk. Although we've been doing probiotics a while now and holding back on solids, the problems seem to be getting worse. Maybe we need to get more aggressive and add in something like enzymes. Or switch the probiotics. What we're doing doesn't appear to be working. Maybe I will surf over to Amazon and order that DeFelice book right now...
#278 of 306 Old 06-17-2006, 10:58 AM

What is a "normal" level of hyper? My 5 month old gets quite hyper when she is tired--ever since she was about two months old when she is tired her arms and legs start going like mad. Recently she's also started getting extremely wiggly when she is held--when I have her on my hip I have to hike her back up every 60 seconds or so, and in the sling it's like wearing a baby monkey. Does that sound like too much, or just on the active side of normal?
#279 of 306 Old 06-19-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Most kids with autistic spectrum not only have custard but it smells worse, and different.... sorry if that's TMI.
Oh yes, we have the "bring the house down" smell most of the time too!
#280 of 306 Old 06-19-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
What is a "normal" level of hyper? My 5 month old gets quite hyper when she is tired--ever since she was about two months old when she is tired her arms and legs start going like mad. Recently she's also started getting extremely wiggly when she is held--when I have her on my hip I have to hike her back up every 60 seconds or so, and in the sling it's like wearing a baby monkey. Does that sound like too much, or just on the active side of normal?
Great question that only a mama can answer I think. Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20 with first timers! My DS used to twirl his feet a lot as a babe, it didn't register with me then as it does now. I think the question re: hyperness and tiredness is when it happens, whether they do sleep well and if they sleep enough. If not, then you have a problem.
#281 of 306 Old 06-19-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
JaneS: Wow, thanks for the info. That sounds totally familiar. DS poop has been changing a lot but the issue right now is (possible TMI here) that it IS alternating between constipation and mush and it has an extremely strong odor of moldy cheese. He is getting into this hyper state where it's hard to figure out what to do with him and he looks a little crazed; reminiscent of DD when her yeast was totally out of control. He doesn't want to be held and spins in circles in my arms, but he also cries if I put him down on the floor even if I sit down next to him. He's having increasing trouble getting to sleep and appears sensitive to grains even if they're in my diet coming through breastmilk. Although we've been doing probiotics a while now and holding back on solids, the problems seem to be getting worse. Maybe we need to get more aggressive and add in something like enzymes. Or switch the probiotics. What we're doing doesn't appear to be working. Maybe I will surf over to Amazon and order that DeFelice book right now...
Bad stool smell means undigested food or intestinal flora imbalance or both.

All of those symptoms you mention can be indicative yeast/bad bacteria b/c they produce neurotoxins. Also they compete with host for nutrients, which if you are nutrient deficient to begin with, just makes the situation worse. Also if digestion is not working, the amino acids that the brain runs on are not getting through.
#282 of 306 Old 06-24-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaV
These guys are more in support of using foods and quality supplements.
NCDE - natural cellular defense by Waiora. www.waiora.com is a new product out on the market for metals detox. Don't have an opinion of them, but my DAMS guy told me about them.
This is not the first time I've seen or heard of this product and it looks very enticing.

I'm only on page 7 of this AWESOME thread so far, so I apologize if someone's already talked about it but does anyone have any experience with this?
#283 of 306 Old 07-13-2006, 02:23 PM

I have always considered myself knowledgable, especially when it came to medica "stuff" but right now my head is spining and I a, going into knowledge hunger mode.
PLEASE can someone poin me in theright directin for a starting point. i want info on nutrition and enzyme, mineral etc
sorry but nak so can't type much
#284 of 306 Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM

This should keep you busy...

Scientific Foundations of a DAN! Protocol from Autism Research Institute:

Quote:
https://www.autismwebsite.com/ari/dan/dan.htm

There are many research studies that are consistent with and/or support the efficacy of the Defeat Autism Now! (DAN!) approach. DAN! refers to a safe, biomedical approach to the treatment of autistic children and adults. I would like to thank Teresa Binstock for compiling and summarizing the following compilation of research studies.

Bernard Rimland, Ph.D.
Director, Autism Research Institute
The Pangborn-Baker book: "Autism: Effective Biomedical Treatments" is the DAN manual:

https://www.autismwebsite.com/ari/pub/pubs.htm

Generation Rescue has a ton of resources, a tremendous site on the successes of chelation:

http://www.generationrescue.org/

Study on lack of mercury excretion:

http://www.generationrescue.org/pdf/holmes2.pdf

Dr. Amy Holmes' site on chelation:

http://www.healing-arts.org/children/holmes.htm

Dana's site has very comprehensive links:

http://www.danasview.net/index.htm

The chapter on autism and treating bacterial/fungal overgrowth in the gut from Breaking the Vicious Cycle:

http://www.pecanbread.com/BTVCautismchapter.html

Karen DeFelice's book is a must read on enzymes:

http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionpdd.htm

Dr. Mary Megson and vit. A protocol

http://www.megson.com/index.html

"Children with Starving Brains: A Medical Treatment Guide for Autism Spectrum Disorder" by Dr. Jacquelyn McCandless
http://www.autism-rxguidebook.net/DesktopDefault.aspx

Dr. Shaw's book too: "Biological Treatments for Autism and PDD"
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/autismbook.html
#285 of 306 Old 07-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Autism: An extreme challege to integrative medicine
PM Kidd - Alternat. Med. Rev, 2002

Part 1: The Knowledge Base
http://scholar.google.com/url?sa=U&q...7-4/autism.pdf

Part 2: Medical Management
http://scholar.google.com/url?sa=U&q.../autism7-6.pdf
#286 of 306 Old 07-13-2006, 04:38 PM

OMG Jane! Are you a mind reader?

Was just looking up some stuff to be ready for our DAN! appt. and look what I found!:
#287 of 306 Old 07-13-2006, 04:43 PM

Actually I come from a long line of Portuguese females who can read minds at certain odd times. Good luck.

I should also add Cutler's book on his research regarding the safer "low and slow" method of chelation that keeps a constant level of chelator in the body. With IVs or once/day dosing, the level goes up and down in bloodstream, overwhelming detox pathways and redistributing the metals:
www.noamalgam.com

And the Autism-Mercury Yahoo group files on the same:
http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/
#288 of 306 Old 08-14-2006, 03:17 PM

:

Gotta sub so I can come back after I've digested the first bit. Whew!

MT-I'm in awe. You rule.

(And everone else who has spent so much time on this so the rest of us can learn from you and your experience-Thank you.)
#289 of 306 Old 08-15-2006, 07:26 PM

As we know, mercury creates oxidative stress http://www.drgreene.com/21_1904.html

News release, August 15:
Penn Researchers Find Link Between Autism and Abnormal Blood-Vessel Function and Oxidative Stress
http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_.../autbldvsl.htm

Will they be able to put two and two together?
#290 of 306 Old 08-15-2006, 07:35 PM

The oxidative stress thing is interesting. We do know that DD has that. They didn't test specifically the substances mentioned in that study, but she had highly elevated lipid peroxides.

But a lot of things can cause oxidative stress in addition to heavy metals, so I doubt that many people will connect the two.

I think it's going to be really hard for conventional medicine to ever accept any solution to the autism puzzle because the body is too complex. In cases such as DD's, the entire system is somewhat out of whack and there isn't one single thing that jumps out as having caused it. The "extreme challenge to integrative medicine" article nails it pretty well I think.
#291 of 306 Old 08-15-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I think it's going to be really hard for conventional medicine to ever accept any solution to the autism puzzle because the body is too complex.
Krissi

I think that is true, I don't believe that it is as simple as mercury=autism, genetics=autism, oxidative=autism, environmental factors=autism however these alone or more likely in combination and other things are all involved in autism.

Conventional medicine is into isolating areas of functioning in the body and discount the degree of complexity and integration of the systems of the body, eg vaccines=antibodies only and no impact on other areas of the body.
#292 of 306 Old 08-16-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy & reggie
Conventional medicine is into isolating areas of functioning in the body and discount the degree of complexity and integration of the systems of the body, eg vaccines=antibodies only and no impact on other areas of the body.
#293 of 306 Old 10-02-2006, 07:15 PM

I came across this aticle describing autism in 1800's

http://aut.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/8/1/7

What I find interesting are these phrases:-

Quote:
Many of the children with autistic symptoms described by Dickinson
also presented with serious bowel disturbances. In one of three cases
described in this article, senna syrup, calomel (mercury chloride), and cod
liver oil were used to address this issue with some success.
Quote:
Indeed, developmental delay and muscle weakness may be more pronounced in some children described by Dickinson owing to popular child-rearing practices, as well as the effects of poverty. Malnutrition, chronic diarrhoea, and vitamin deficiency have a detrimental effect on the developing child’s brain and body.
I don't think it is just poverty that can affect the overall functioning of the body. I think that antibiotics, vaccinations, chronic infections, environmental toxins etc can all combine to adversely affect the functioning of a fetus/infant/child and end up with neurological dysfunction eg autism.
#294 of 306 Old 12-04-2006, 11:57 PM

I can not speak for every autistic child since they are all made up of different puzzle pieces, I will only (briefly) relate what I KNOW triggered my sons autism:

genetic weakness of metallathionene (heavy metal) detox pathway

in utero and breast milk exposure to mercury: RhoGam and fillings and maternal load, broken thermometers, we used to PLAY with teh stuff in chem lab!! OMG, MANY vaxes and travel vax and immunoglobulin shots as a kid, mercury additive in paint and topical merthiolate (my mom thought it could cure anything and doused every tiny scrape with it for YRS)

post natal exposure to arsenic (contributed, did not cause, he had pica and ate mulch obsessively)

poor maternal mineral and vit A and B12 status

stealth virus': epstein BArr, Cytomegalovirus and herpes simplex and poss zoster

MAternal exposure to PCB's , grew up next to what became a superfund site and ate pounds of fish caught of Jersey shore in teh 70's, spent summers downstream from a later known PCB dump site

ALLL that got dumped into my poor baby, but the thimerosal exposure was definitely the BIGGEST single thing

Laura
for teh record: we have him *recovered* at six, thru EXTENSIVE DAN protocol, and a myriad of all other alternative therapies and IV chelation, to name just a few..
#295 of 306 Old 12-05-2006, 12:03 AM

Annikate,

we use the Waiora NCD (zeolite) and I really like it, and I HATE MLM companies so for me to endorse one is really saying something! It is a new add for us and I have seen good chgs with less detox rxn than some otehr products, we continue to also use NDF, NDF plus and LiverLife all from BioRay and like them all as well
#296 of 306 Old 01-12-2007, 02:00 PM

I feel like the children that are born more prone to getting autism might get it from the vaccination, but I don't think all children are at risk. There are too many of us that have been getting vaccinations for many years and autism just isn't that widespread.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#297 of 306 Old 01-12-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
I feel like the children that are born more prone to getting autism might get it from the vaccination, but I don't think all children are at risk. There are too many of us that have been getting vaccinations for many years and autism just isn't that widespread.
So, just how much thimerosal came in your needles? My 9 year old son got a heck of a lot more than you did as an infant/toddler - that I can guarantee.
#298 of 306 Old 01-14-2007, 03:38 PM

Among children who were born after the number of recommended vaccines on the CDC vaxing schedule started to increase, and increase, and increase, beginning I believe in the 1980s, and then even more in the 1990s, autism and related problems are VERY widespread. 1 in 166 is an epidemic !!! And that's just counting the ones who are diagnosed with some form of ASD...if you add in all the related problems such as ADD/ADHD, and kids with "behavioral" problems such as oppositional defiant disorder, etc, and other issues that kids are medicated for with psychiatric drugs, that may also be related, the potential number of children who may have been negatively affected by the large amount of vaccines they received is huge.

I personally don't believe that the mercury in vaccines is the only cause. I do believe it is a big part of it and I truly hope the mercury is being reduced because I think that will help lessen the impact. But there are other problems with vaccines as well - the effects of the foreign proteins and live viruses being injected into the body and bypassing the natural route of exposure, and other toxins in vaccines are also problems. And I personally believe the early overuse of antibiotics is also a large factor because they kill beneficial gut flora, interfere with the early functioning of the immune system and basically throw the whole body out of balance. It is very common for ASD kids to have an early medical history that included frequent or prolonged use of antibiotics. And I do believe that in some people genetic predisposition is a factor too, but the genetic predisposition alone would not have caused these people to have these issues without the other problems with vaccines and antibiotics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#299 of 306 Old 01-14-2007, 07:12 PM

mamma68

'autism just isn't that widespread."

ummmmmmmmmm what part of "one in 166" do you feel is NOT widespread???????? even the government is admitting ASD is at EPIDEMIC proportions... WTF??
#300 of 306 Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 PM

for the record autism is an incredibly complex condition with many many individual triggers that differ from child to child,, to say that vax causes autism , period or even thimerosal causes autism.. period is grossly oversimplifying the condition (although both vax and mercury certainly can play big roles in triggering ASD there is a lot more to it than simply that..)KWIM?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page