What causes autism? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 306 Old 01-25-2006, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone used this product to help achieve health in kids with ASD or who are vax injured?
I used one tonight for the first time. In my busy schedule, keeping my kids well, I got sick. I guess Mom does need sleep sometimes... A friend of mine is using it to help cure her cancer. I noticed improvement after two hours use. Like to have some feedback...
http://www.drclark.com/pictures/zappertext.htm

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#122 of 306 Old 01-25-2006, 12:02 PM

RE: viral infections

The Enzymes and Autism Yahoo group is using Enzymedica's Virastop right now, they are doing a trial www.enzymestuff.com
#123 of 306 Old 02-01-2006, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
bump.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#124 of 306 Old 02-01-2006, 01:08 PM

Oh, I want the zapper in the worst way! Our son just finished his first round of DMSA chelation. We noticed no negative effects, and he continues to be more and more interactive with the family each day.

We have ordered the Virastop...we will take it with candex, biotin, olive leaf extract.....maybe colostrum...I don't know...is colostrum casein free???

I just tested ds urine for ph and it was extremely alkaline...so sigh....I am wondering what good it is going to do to treat ds for viruses when his body has an ideal invironment for them to grow????....interestingly my dh is extremely acidic...his urine is the equivalent of acid rain.....What to cook with these two opposite characters!!!!! My head is spinning

I might try giving ds something someone on the aut/merc yahoo group uses called a mito cocktail.

I might try giving ds a protocol to increase acetylcholine. I couldn't explain why, but it has something to do with the negative reaction he had to the probiotic. We found out that ds needs a special D-lactate free probiotic when the whites of his eyes turned yellow from a Klare labs probiotic...the "special" probiotic is $165...I have yet to order that. The yahoo group autism mercury is helping me figure this all out.
#125 of 306 Old 02-01-2006, 01:19 PM

We purchased the dmsa w/o a RX and 80% of the supplements ds is taking from here

We also got the hair test there, w/o a RX, because we live in the same state. I can order any test just about that ds would need w/o an RX.

The Great Plains Lab is 10 minutes from my house....I love the whole idea of not paying for shipping! but, I am thinking switch from the new beginnings brand to Solaray on some items because Solaray is even cheaper, and I work at the health food store and can get Solaray brand in exchange for work.
#126 of 306 Old 02-02-2006, 12:42 AM

Why mercury challenge tests are not effective as a diagnostic tool:

http://onibasu.com/archives/am/1723.html
#127 of 306 Old 02-04-2006, 05:24 PM

Interesting discussion of diet and mercury toxicity, especially the role of cholesterol in clearing toxins from the body through a case study of a woman with mercury poisoning (and an autistic child):

http://www.westonaprice.org/envtoxins/mercury.html
#128 of 306 Old 02-06-2006, 01:59 AM

And that comes back to selenium, and the whole glutathione/liver/bile/toxin/cholesterol thing that comes in on the nutrition/immunity thread.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#129 of 306 Old 02-06-2006, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I found this an interesting read:

Autism - the vaccine connection

http://www.saras-autism-diet.freeservers.com/

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#130 of 306 Old 02-06-2006, 04:00 AM

Wow, that was a major read.

I can see the logic there. What concerns me genetically though is that such a radical change in utero means that these children reacting to lutein have such a restricted diet, its little wonder their amino acids have to be supplemented on it.

Sure, there is major improvement, and some of these children "come back" but the implications of this for the genes of future generations don't bear thinking about.

It's horrifying in the extreme, and lets be brutal about it. As women, and as parents we have to accept responsibility for being sucked in, for allowing ourselves to live lives so far removed from what is right, that babies in utero develop defence mechanisms like this.

Horrible though this may sound, the implications for these children should they too have children, and the long term implications for the genetic base of the world is horrifying IF the methylation or genetic damage cannot be reversed.

This is exactly the sort of solution the world does NOT need in the long run.

Somehow, we have to go back "further" and work it out properly so that it doesn't happen.

You can't just blame vaccines as they do here. It's not "just" vaccines. I agree its part of the equation through many generations, but its not the whole story.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#131 of 306 Old 02-06-2006, 04:11 AM

This makes about 96% sense to me.

One area that doesn't is that most of the autistics after MMR vaccinations developed protective food choices, or "picky eating" after the MMR. Some of the childrne went on total probiotic binges, only eating yoghurt, kefir and krauts; refusing anything else, and ironically they are the ones that are now best off where their parents haven't done anything.

But if the "start" was after vaccination, where does that leave the 8 week in utero theory?

http://www.saras-autism-diet.freeser...connection.PDF

the other bit that sticks in the craw is the implications.

#132 of 306 Old 02-06-2006, 04:24 AM

Interesting in this one about carotenoids.

http://www.saras-autism-diet.freeser...ism-lutein.pdf

I didn't know this, and will print it out and research it some more. Funnily enough when I've advised people to take carotenoids, I've always done it with hesitation even here, and said that I prefer CLO, but because the medical profession has gotten down on me before for suggesting that, have suggested carotenoids for pregnant women.

If further research proves to me that the carotenoids, is yet another medical lie, then That will just add another "final" nail in their coffin in my brain.

Now, how many final nails is that?

#133 of 306 Old 02-09-2006, 11:02 PM

Another nail?

Quote:
While medical orthodoxy claims that consumption of large amounts of carotenes has no downside, it is possible that dependence on carotenes for vitamin A, even in those who are good converters, compromises other biochemical functions in subtle ways.

The so-called nontoxic betacarotene supplements contain a synthetic form of carotene, just one of 50 or 60 carotenes found in the typical diet. The biological activity of synthetic betacarotene is much lower than that of the natural complexes of carotenes and, in fact, may put stress on the immune system Studies with humans and rats given synthetic betacarotene found an increase in white blood cells. In cancer trials, synthetic betacarotenes were not found to be protective. In fact, in one study, patients given synthetic betacarotene had worse results than controls (NEJM April 1994 330: (15);891-895).
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...aminasaga.html
The effect of vitamin E and beta carotene on the incidence of lung cancer and other cancers in male smokers. The Alpha-Tocopherol, Beta Carotene Cancer Prevention Study Group.

"Unexpectedly, we observed a higher incidence of lung cancer among the men who received beta carotene than among those who did not..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_DocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Effects of a combination of beta carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease.

CONCLUSIONS. After an average of four years of supplementation, the combination of beta carotene and vitamin A had no benefit and may have had an adverse effect on the incidence of lung cancer and on the risk of death from lung cancer, cardiovascular disease, and any cause in smokers and workers exposed to asbestos.

Jane note: might there be a difference b/c the synthetic form of vitamin A retinyl palmitate was used? What on earth does modern medicine have against natural vitamins for goodness sakes!! I just love it that when vitamins are finally studied, they still get it wrong. My search pulled up a ton of alpha tocopherol cancer studies as well and ... same issue... natural vitamin E has many other factors.

Randomised trial of alpha-tocopherol and beta-carotene supplements on incidence of major coronary events in men with previous myocardial infarction.

INTERPRETATION: The proportion of major coronary events in men with a previous myocardial infarction who smoke was not decreased with either alpha-tocopherol or beta-carotene supplements. In fact, the risk of fatal coronary heart disease increased in the groups that received either beta-carotene or the combination of alpha-tocopherol and beta-carotene; there was a non-significant trend of increased deaths in the alpha-tocopherol group. We do not recommend the use of alpha-tocopherol or beta-carotene supplements in this group of patients.

#134 of 306 Old 02-10-2006, 10:48 AM

That WAS an interesting read

Quote:
One of the most common responses of the immune system is to convert wheat and dairy proteins (gluten and casein) into powerful morphine-like opiates. This is done to protect the body and mind from the stress and suffering caused by the immune response to dietary lutein. Removing gluten and casein without removing lutein will lead to a temporary 'waking up' as the opiate level recedes, followed by frightening reactions to lutein-containing foods. These have wrongly been described by other writers as 'phenol reactions' and 'yeast die-off'. Although phenol reactions can occur as phenol sensitivity increases on a GFCF diet, it is the lutein reaction that keeps the body in a state of metabolic chaos. Yeast die-off may happen at some point later in the healing process, but the symptoms are very different to a lutein reaction.
Especially this....my son has not enjoyed the treatments we have been doing because he feels more pain. He is more keyed in to his symptoms, and his only way of coping before, was to ignore his symptoms. Basically, he has lost all of the morphine like qualities of the gluten and casein.....

Question? Do you still get the morphine like qualities from gluten and casein if you cheat with enzymes?

Sigh...I'm checking into the Sara's Diet.....Ds has been really mad and unable to cope with his symptoms lately, and he blames the treatment and all of the vitamins and the diet.....which kind of fits in with what they are saying here.

BTW, ds WAS on EPD, which they mentioned in that article, and when his EPD wore off, he became more autistic.....

EPD would be $500 every 2 months....I would like to get ds back on that. I guess we may try eliminating lutens for a short trial.
#135 of 306 Old 02-10-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths
Question? Do you still get the morphine like qualities from gluten and casein if you cheat with enzymes?
I've heard of parents "cheating" with enzymes will no adverse effects and it worked out well.

We used digestive enzymes while we did the diet, but it wasn't for that long. I had to open up the capsules in his food and it was hard to disguise the horrible taste. Plus we were trying to remove high phenolic foods as well (such as tomatoes), and the only thing that disguised the taste was ketsup. Figures.

Did your son have glassy eyes and dialated pupils?
#136 of 306 Old 02-10-2006, 01:25 PM

My son has glassy bloodshot eyes....and lives in a room that is darkened because of his migranes....so I haven't notices his pupils, but would think they would automatically be typical for someone living without sunlight. (I let a little bit of sunlight in when he will let me by moving the blanket covering his window, but it is just a slight amount.)
#137 of 306 Old 02-10-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Question? Do you still get the morphine like qualities from gluten and casein if you cheat with enzymes?.
Peptizyde in sufficient quantities is the only enzyme on the market that eliminates this.

And increasing enzymes has also contributed to the "more aware" feeling, Karen DeFelice talks about this in her book.

For me and DS both, we get hyper from high proteases.
#138 of 306 Old 02-11-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Did your son have glassy eyes and dialated pupils?
I checked ds eyes today and yep, they are very glassy and dialated, but I figured they were dialated because his room was dark. Why? What do you think this means? I thought glassy eyes were allergies....
#139 of 306 Old 02-11-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Peptizyde in sufficient quantities is the only enzyme on the market that eliminates this.
Peptizyde is what we are giving him, so does mean he has lost a major form of pain relief? What if he depended on the morphine like qualities of gluten and casien to deal with his constant pain? Now, he doesn't have that. No wonder he feels worse. I am at loss as to what to do about this, besides a trial of no lutien foods..or EPD, which we can't do right now...

Should we be using some other thing for pain relief now until we get this all sorted out? Natural Pain relief suggestions? I have heard of white willow bark, but never used that. We wouldn't want anything that stresses out the liver, since he is on round 2 of chelation with DMSA.

I bought borage oil and flax oil, to add to his orthomega fish oils he is already taking. I heard the adding of extra oils would help with fibro symptoms...so maybe I should add these first.

I just bought Olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, virastop, biotin, and l-lysine to start a viral protocol....and I wonder if these are going to cause die off and worsening of symtoms too. I plan on starting them slow. One new thing every 4 days or a week. Haven't quite figured out in what order to proceed with these, or if I need to have a pain relief or symptom relief in place before proceeding, but now that I write this out, I think I will introduce flax and borage oils prior to the anti virals.
#140 of 306 Old 02-11-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Peptizyde is what we are giving him, so does mean he has lost a major form of pain relief? What if he depended on the morphine like qualities of gluten and casien to deal with his constant pain? Now, he doesn't have that. No wonder he feels worse. I am at loss as to what to do about this, besides a trial of no lutien foods..or EPD, which we can't do right now...

Should we be using some other thing for pain relief now until we get this all sorted out? Natural Pain relief suggestions? I have heard of white willow bark, but never used that. We wouldn't want anything that stresses out the liver, since he is on round 2 of chelation with DMSA.
Yes, probably re: losing opiate effects with Peptizyde.

Is white willow a natural form of aspirin? Maybe look into homeopathy?

Are you giving minerals? Did DeFelice's book have any suggestions on migraines? (It's been a while since I've read it.) Maybe the Enzymes and Autism Yahoo group would have more suggestions for you. I'm sorry I cannot help.

If you start a viral protocol, does it include increasing vitamin A?
#141 of 306 Old 02-11-2006, 03:18 PM

Interesting reading at the Thoughtful House website, their 2005 Conference:

http://www.thoughtfulhouse.org/confe...sentations.htm

(TH is the current home of Andy Wakefield with all his research posted on that site too... hey he's a cutie! )
#142 of 306 Old 02-11-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, probably re: losing opiate effects with Peptizyde.
I tried the herb ginger for headaches and nausea, they worked a little for the nausea, but he didn't like the ginger trip gum. I bought a drink called ginger brew for him to try,and he hasn't yet, it delivers 17 grams of ginger. If he likes this, maybe he can drink it several times a day.

Quote:
Is white willow a natural form of aspirin? Maybe look into homeopathy?
I think white willow is the natural form of aspirin. The amalgam illness book says ginger for headaches, but I have a lot of herbal books I got at an auction, I can look up headaches in them too. Homeopathy is definately worth checking out. The owner of the healthfood store who helps me is reading a book on homeopathy and autism right now, but it is not Amy Lansky's book. I can read it when she is done, and maybe get some ideas.

It could be the tinnitus causing the headaches. For his tinnitus, we are having a fatty tumor of the ear ruled out. He is going to have an MRI, in April. Tinnitus can be caused by heavy metals, viruses, parasites, or some kind of anomaly like a tumor....so I figure by doing anti virals, and chelation, and screening him for a tumor....it is ruling out at least three of the things that can be causing the tinnitus....and is a round about way of maybe dealing with the cause of the headaches if their cause is the tinnitus....

Several people on the autism mercury yahoo group lost their tinnitus during chelation, someone around round 10, so that is hopeful.

I don't have DeFelice's book, but if anyone does and can look up what it says to do for body pain like fibromyalgia and migraines, I would appreciate it.

Yes, the antiviral protocol is supposed to include vit A. I haven't got that yet or figured out the dosage... I wonder if we should do a trial of lutein free before the antivirals, and get his pain under control.....Looks like I will ask the autism mercury list about this too.
#143 of 306 Old 02-11-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Are you giving minerals?
I am giving these minerals: Calcium, magnesium, and the trace minerals zinc, selineum, molybdenum.

Vitamins we are giving are: C, folic, E, inositol, and we are going to add biotin and vit A.

we were going careful on adding too many b's.

I think I was going to check into switching his Omega 3's to nordic naturals which include the Vitamins A&D.
#144 of 306 Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I don't have DeFelice's book, but if anyone does and can look up what it says to do for body pain like fibromyalgia and migraines, I would appreciate it.
Basically her entire book! Her experience was 24 hr. migraines every single day for most of her life. Then having 2 boys on the spectrum really gives her a unique perspective on all this. The big break thru came when she started amitriptyline herself and put her oldest (just him I think) on it for his head banging. They got about 50% better. The other 50% came from enzymes.

Her youngest was the gut damaged one, with bacterial issues.

I highly recommend getting the book... it's really a must read for understanding underlying biological reasons for sensory issues.

THE BOOK IS: "Enzymes for Autism" or "Enzymes for Digestive Health" by Karen DeFelice (they are both the same). www.enzymestuff.com
#145 of 306 Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 PM

Ok, I must get that book then.

I am feeling really overwhelmed today....even with dh bringing home flowers and cooking dinner for valentines day...

Because for one, I had gotten all geared up to do antivirals, and purchased oreganol and virastop and all, then Sara's diet says no oregano oil and no vit A, and I have read other places about the importance of vit A especially with antivirals..and who is Sara's diet? maybe we can only do *most of it* and be fine...not to mention the restrictions of Sara's diet with needing to purchase rare game meat....to which my dh is drawing the line and his opinion is rare game meat for ds only, which would mean cooking separate meals...and basically cooking multiple different meals point stresses me beyond my capabilities....

then I found out the vitamin C I have been giving is all wrong....

DS is really nauseous after this latest round of chelation....I now don't know if I should be focusing on lutein free, viruses, or get uva ursi and go after bacteria first....
#146 of 306 Old 02-15-2006, 10:53 PM

I can understand... we're not even facing half the issues you are and I'm

I'm constantly reading conflicting information, it's maddening!
#147 of 306 Old 02-16-2006, 03:35 PM

This thread is so packed full of such valuable information. I finally printed it out so I could read it more leisurely. (broken printer since christmas has finally been replaced!)

one thing that leaves me

is the discussion of mineral and enzyme supplements.

If I read the suggestions correctly, I think Peptizyde (from Houston Nutraceuticals) is good.

but I'm still not sure about mineral supplements. MT, you had a suggestion of one brand in particular, right?

Honestly, I think our whole family could benefit but DS does have some sensory issues and I would like to support him through supplements.

#148 of 306 Old 02-28-2006, 01:19 AM

this needs to be bumped to the front page.

#149 of 306 Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 PM

IS AUTISM A G-ALPHA PROTEIN DEFECT REVERSIBLE WITH NATURAL VITAMIN A?
Mary N. Megson, M.D., F.A.A.P.
Quote:
Autism may be a disorder linked to the disruption of the G-alpha protein, affecting retinoid receptors in the brain. A study of sixty autistic children suggests that autism may be caused by inserting a G-alpha protein defect, the pertussis toxin found in the D.P.T. vaccine, into genetically at-risk children. This toxin separates the G-alpha protein from retinoid receptors. Those most at risk report a family history of at least one parent with a pre-existing G-alpha protein defect, including night blindness, pseudohypoparathyroidism or adenoma of the thyroid or pituitary gland.

Natural Vitamin A may reconnect the retinoid receptors critical for vision, sensory perception, language processing and attention...

Many of these children, who need natural, unsaturated cis forms of Vitamin A found in sources such as cold water fish like salmon, or cod, liver, kidney, and milk fat, are not getting this in the modern diet. Instead, they are dependent on Vitamin A Palmitate, found in commercial infant formula and low fat milk. Unfortunately, absorption of Vitamin A Palmitate requires an intact gut mucosal microvilli surface at the right PH, in the presence of bile for metabolism (12). However, many of these children already have damaged mucosal surfaces due to unrecognized wheat allergy or intolerances...

When the live viral measles vaccine is given, it depletes the children of their existing supply of Vitamin A (13), which negatively impacts the retinoid receptors. Natural Vitamin A, in the cis form, is important for activation of T and B cells for long-term immune memory to develop (14) and is necessary for natural killer cell function (15). Scrimshaw, et al. (1968) reviewed over 50 studies of infection and nutrition and wrote, "no nutritional deficiency in the animal kingdom is more consistently synergistic with infection than that of Vitamin A" (16)...

Our early experience with treatment with natural cis forms of Vitamin A in Cod Liver Oil (CLO) in these autistic children, followed by stimulation of blocked acetylcholine receptors for neurotransmitters affected with a blockage of G-alpha pathways in the cell, is promising. There are dramatic, immediate improvements in language, vision, attention and social interaction in some of these children, as evidenced by the following case reports.
#150 of 306 Old 02-28-2006, 09:57 PM

I answered you by PM Tracy, but noticed you asked a minerals question above and thought I would post this for posterity.

DS tolerates the Ultra Sensitive Minerals from Brainchild very well. Thus far the only one that has not caused regression in gut issues for him:

www.brainchildnutritionals.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page