Vaccinating Pets - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

1Likes

#31 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live on a small farm with 4 dogs, 2 cats, poultry, a pig and a horse. We definitely vax the animals. there is a fundamental and medical difference between humans and animals. The animals cannot look at their lives and say, hey I better not do this because I could contract an illness or I should take good care of myself. I have watched animals, especially dogs and cats, come into the yard after a walk or adventure around the property with injuries which could be caused by other animals or man-made structures (barbed wire fences etc.) which could lead to serious illnesses. Your pets need assistance in staying healthy. Rabies is the very least you should do for them. They should receive anti-parasite meds regularly. If you have ever seen an animal die from heart worms your heart would break. There are many holistic vets now, there's even an association http://www.ahvma.org/. talk so people to find someone who works for you but please don't apply human philosophies to animals, it can be really damaging and cause a family great saddness should something happen to their pet. The same goes for spaying and neutering, it has to be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Vaccine Guide for Dogs and Cats, read it.

We do not vax, we also don't board our pets so that is a non issue.
#33 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One DA2PP is all that is required. Lepto is as highly reactive shot, and not really needed unless your dog is drinking water that has wild animal urine in it. Bordatella is usually one of the only shots required for boarding. It is highly uneffective, (think Pertussis in humans) but for some reason, it is usually required by boarding kennels.

If I were you, I would do the DA2PP at 12 weeks, the Rabies at 6 months, and then be done with it. Research has shown that one vaccine lasts for the life of the dog, if timed so that mother's immunity has worn off.

The breed of dog is also important, as some breeds are more prone to reactions than others. Some are also prone to lifelong autoimmune problems from vaccines, and some are less so.

Be as conservative as you can, and never get more than one shot at a time. Space them out by several months if you can.

As a breeder, I do not really vax any of my dogs anymore, but some that I co-own are vaxed according to a more conservative schedule and then they get titers drawn yearly. Especially if we have to ship a girl for breeding or someone is going away to "camp" to show.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#34 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 11:04 AM

Did your vet give you any gruff about running titers on your pet? And is it more or less expensive or the same as getting the vaxes...that sounds awful to attach a price...but I'm wondering. Also, is it something you'll have to repeat every year? LOTS 'O QUESTIONS...sorry 'bout that! ;-)
#35 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 11:25 AM

I don't vax my indoor cat. (I selectively vax my dogs on a 3 year schedule)When I brought my very sick cat into my vet's office, the said he might not live though the night. He had a urinary tract obstruction. After I left him, the first thing that they did was give him a rabies vax! I'm thinkin' : Hey, could we a least see if he's gonna live, before we challenge his immune system.

PS He did recover.
#36 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 PM

Most vets won't give you any trouble about running titers... they are more expensive than just doing the vaccines, so quite the opposite might be true and the vet might just loooove the fact that you are doing titers!

You can repeat titers every three years, just like the recommendations for vaxing. I say this all the time, but DON"T let your vet talk you into re-vaxing if a titer is "too low". There is no such thing. Titer levels change on a daily basis, depending on what exposures the animals have. So ANY titer is a positive one.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#37 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonsmom View Post
We live on a small farm with 4 dogs, 2 cats, poultry, a pig and a horse. We definitely vax the animals. there is a fundamental and medical difference between humans and animals. The animals cannot look at their lives and say, hey I better not do this because I could contract an illness or I should take good care of myself. I have watched animals, especially dogs and cats, come into the yard after a walk or adventure around the property with injuries which could be caused by other animals or man-made structures (barbed wire fences etc.) which could lead to serious illnesses. Your pets need assistance in staying healthy. Rabies is the very least you should do for them. They should receive anti-parasite meds regularly. If you have ever seen an animal die from heart worms your heart would break. There are many holistic vets now, there's even an association http://www.ahvma.org/. talk so people to find someone who works for you but please don't apply human philosophies to animals, it can be really damaging and cause a family great saddness should something happen to their pet. The same goes for spaying and neutering, it has to be done.
For me I am not applying HUMAN philosophies to my pets -- I am applying what is good vet medicine to my pets...which is to not vaccinate. I administer hw prevention -- but that is not a vaccination. I administer flea prevention (sparingly) -- but that is not a vaccination. In your post you indicate you have seen animals come back with injuries -- how can anything other than Rabies protect them in that circumstance? The pet vaccines are for contracted diseases...not injuries. As like human vaccine controversy....the same can be said for the vaccinations given to animals. Thankfully that research has seemed to move a wee bit more speedy and thankfully the protocols have been changed to every 3 years (which was a flat out compromise to make the vaccine companies happy).

There is just as much research out there pertaining to animal vaccines and why NOT to have them done.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#38 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 03:26 PM

I would strongly recommend the bordatella (kennel cough) vaccine. Kennel Cough is highly contagious and easy to pick up any place where animals get together. Tucker was adopted from East Baton Rouge Parish Animal Control. They do not vaccinate against it, and have a high rate of dogs with it. A day or two after we got him home, we noticed that Tucker had it. It took several rounds of antibiotics and multiple vet visits to get rid of it. It would have been a lot cheaper, and better for Tucker, if he had had the vaccine.

If you ever want to board the pup or take it to grooming, most places will require it because it is so highly contagious. Lucas' mom took her puppy to the vet's office to get neutered. She assumed that while he was there, they were going to give him all of his necessary shots. She didn't, and this tiny italian greyhound puppy picked up kennel cough while staying at the vets office overnight.

Highly, highly contagious.

That said, all three of my dogs are 100% up to date on vaccinations. Tucker is fully vacc'd because of our experience with his kennel cough. Colleen is fully vacc'd because she's a rough collie, and requires regular sessions with the groomer. Ein is fully vacc'd because he goes on vacation with us and needs proof of vaccinations for some hotels and doggy daycares.
#39 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Kennel cough is highly contagious, although with 2 dozen or so rescue dogs through my house, never had 1 case and they came from very, very poor backgrounds. In the dog world this vaccine is considered a waste b/c it isnt highly effective and it is treatable. Most people that are up to date with the latest vax news concerning dogs is do none or just a parvo and distemper, 1 rabies shot at around 2 years old and nothing there after but maybe a titer.

Some breeds are more sensitive then others when it comes to vaccines, collies for example have an increased chance of having a reaction. Also many problems relating to dogs are being linked to vaccines like allergies, chronic ear infections, kidney failure (Addison's disease), auto-immune disorders, bone/joint problems, eye problems, and many others. There is a ton of info out there regarding dogs and vaccines so anyone that wants to can get all the info they want.

I think it is just as important to research about your animal's health as your child's health.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#40 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 04:15 PM

The Bordatella vaccine is a huge waste of time and money. The bacteria that causes kennel cough-- bordatella (sound familiar, those who are researching pertussis??) CHANGES all the time. Sometimes the vaccine is for the right strain, sometimes it's not. So it's hugely ineffective. Also, even if you have vaccinated for the right strain, your dog can still get bordatella. It's just not a good shot.

I believe the heartworm vaccine was taken off the market years ago. Recalled. It was killing dogs all over the place.

We do not do heartworm preventative all the time, either. Heartworm is not something that is seen much in my area. I don't worry about it. The incidence is something like .02%.

I would be really careful about what heartworm preventative a collie gets. Ivermectin (Heartguard) is VERY dangerous and has killed a lot of collies. There are better choices out there. For that matter, I would never give it to any scottish herding dog.

The new thinking (and I HOPE rescue groups are on top of this, too) is that vaccines need only be given at MOST once every three years, and hopefully less than that.

ETA-- my dogs are at (VERY crowded with lots of dogs) dog shows all the time. We have never ever had a case of kennel cough. They are also boarded sometimes for showing or breeding. Again, no kennel cough. In over 20 years. It doesn't prove anything, I guess, other than the fact that through 100's of dogs, kennel cough has never been an issue.

#41 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 PM

I couldn't agree more with the posters regarding the bordatella vaccine. I do rescue and for 3 days I had over 40 dogs in my backyard. We did a breeder rescue and had to disburse the dogs to many foster homes over the east coast. With the entire lot of 40 dachshunds + my 5 dachshunds we never had anything worse than tape worms (the rescued dogs had them severely). These dogs had not even been vaccinated for Rabies...much less anything else.

I have had so many friends who have vaccinated with bordatella and their dogs still got kennel cough. Same goes for all the things dogs are vaccinated against (with the exception of Rabies).

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#42 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 09:06 PM

I have 3 dogs that have all been vaxed. Didn't know the dangers until we started researching vax's for baby to be. One of the dogs is due for some vaxes but he has REALLY bad allergies and no meds we try seem to help so now I'm afraid to give him any vaxes on top of it. Thinking of asking about the Titer test and I also just found a holistic vet not too far away that I may take him to. I just don't know if they could help or we'd be waisting more money. We have no problem spending money if we can find something to help him. One of the meds he's on now is exspensive but what's the since if he's not getting better and maybe worse. I've heard that allergy shots and meds only supress everything which is not good for overall health. Anyone else have experience with dogs that have allergies?
#43 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 09:10 PM

ugh! forgot to select email notification to replies. I always do that.:
#44 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 PM

We only do the rabbies vax and only because it's required by law. Though right now I'm looking into seeing if they'll let us use titers instead.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#45 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 09:51 PM

We vax our dog but not our cats, as they are indoors-only.

However, if I was still doing rescue work, I would vax our cats. A dear friend of mine who is a kitten foster mom for a rescue group unknowingly took in a kitten with parvo and lost almost all the non-vaxed kittens she was caring for. (The vaxed ones were OK.) She was absolutely devastated.
#46 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 10:16 PM

One of my mixes, Sierra, that was rescued off the streets at 6 months old had horrible allergies soon after I got her. She literally pulled all of her fur out and had bloody sores from head to toe. We tried all the meds, etc and nothing helped. When we did the allergy test it came back that she was allergic to everything, chicken, corn, wheat, rice, etc. The only thing she wasnt allergic too was deer : She was on a cortizone shot every other day and allergy shots 3 times a day. I didnt know what to do at this point. My vet said that it was time to put her down. Well I was working at PetsMart at the time and met a wonderful person who told me all about how vaccines and diet play such an important role in a animals health. I listened to her, didnt believe her b/c the "gov't would never poison an animal" but I finally figured what the %^&* and stopped vaxing her, stopped giving her monthly flea/heartworm treatments, and changed to a raw food diet. She was growing hair within 2 weeks, completely healed by 2 months and now 4 years later, no relapses. So IMO, DO NOT VACCINATE YOUR DOG!!!

Also another story that was happening at the same time was another of my mixes, Bailey, was suffering horrible problems. I got her from the local pound when she was 12 weeks old. I adopted her with sarcoptic mange, severe UTI and respitory problems. Got that fixed up and soon after she started to limp in her front legs. She was diagnosed with pano at 4 months old. Pano is a bone problem also called "growing pains" that moves around from limb to limb and the dog usually outgrows it within a few years. Being dx at 4 months old is VERY early. So we were treating her with Rimadyl and shortly after that I noticed her joints were swelling to as big as softballs. So another trip to the vet and turns out she has Auto-immune joint disease which is an auto-immune response that attacks her joints. We had to have joint taps (big long needles inserted into the joint) weekly. These are very painful and left her unable to walk for many days. Her outcome: put her down at 8 months old or keep her in a crate 24 hours a day until she is 3 y/o. All of Bailey's problems were happening at the same time as Sierra's was so I was faced with putting down 2 dogs at once.

Thank goodness my friend came into my life b/c she saved both of their lives. I started Bailey on the no vax, no flea/heartworm, and raw food diet at the same time as Sierra and she was 100% back to normal a few short months later. 4 years later, no relapses and you never would have known what was once wrong with her or that they both were knocking on death's door.

If I were you, I would stop all vax, all flea/tick/heartworm treatments and get on a good diet for the time being. A good diet would be California Natural, Canidae, Innova, Wellness, a home-made diet or a raw food diet. A good diet is the #1 thing when considering the dog's health...

I would research the flea/tick/heartworm treatments. Most last a lot longer then a month. I treat my dogs with flea treatment once in the spring and that lasts them all year. Also garlic is good to give your dogs to keep fleas, ticks, and mosquetos (sp?) off.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#47 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 10:33 PM

I did vaccinate my dogs for their first year then one of my pups got Addison's disease (adrenal gland failure-NOT related to vax's) so now we don't give any vax's because I don't want to risk the added stress to his disease and have him get sick again. For me the risk of him getting a disease just doesn't outweigh the dangers of flaring up his Addison's.
#48 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 10:46 PM

I don't vax anymore. I got the first round of shots for my Christmas puppy but didn't feel good about it considering my stance on vax's for my son. I did some research and feel comfortable with my decision not to get her anymore shots. I do heart worm prevention only because I live in the South where mosquitos are prevelant. She will eventually get a rabies vax I'm sure but not until she absolutely has to. I was afraid of parvo in the beginning so I didn't take her to many public places but I did let her play with the neighborhood dogs and kids so she got socialized. Now at 6 months she goes everywhere with us. I will not board her but will hire a pet sitter if I ever have to be away or will find a family member or friend to care for her if it ever comes up.

Kim
#49 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanveann View Post
We vax our dog but not our cats, as they are indoors-only.

However, if I was still doing rescue work, I would vax our cats. A dear friend of mine who is a kitten foster mom for a rescue group unknowingly took in a kitten with parvo and lost almost all the non-vaxed kittens she was caring for. (The vaxed ones were OK.) She was absolutely devastated.
I am pretty certain cats cannot get parvo. Are you talking about distemper? If so, distemper is almost always a puppy/kitten disease -- or can infect those immune depressed.

#50 of 143 Old 05-09-2007, 11:45 PM

thanks angie. he's been on a special prescription allergy food for past two years b/c his blood work said he's allergic to about 14 different things between grass, trees, beef, chicken, etc. I'll have to check into the foods you mentioned. what type of "raw" food diet do you do? his back is all full of sores and I feel soooo bad for him. I didn't realize about heartworm meds. I know he can't have the chewable b/c their flavored. I'll have to check into frontline stuff too, we have ALOT of ticks in our area and being pregnant I'm nervous. DH has gotten bit by two in the past week.
#51 of 143 Old 05-10-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnsdanebabies View Post
I did vaccinate my dogs for their first year then one of my pups got Addison's disease (adrenal gland failure-NOT related to vax's) so now we don't give any vax's because I don't want to risk the added stress to his disease and have him get sick again. For me the risk of him getting a disease just doesn't outweigh the dangers of flaring up his Addison's.
Addison's actually IS related to vaxes. Addison's is an immune system malfunction related to the adrenal glands, and yes vaccines interfere with the immune system. A very good breeder friend of mine has a breed that is prone to Addison's, and they do not vax at all due to the risk of bringing on Addison's, as well as lupus. autoimmune thyroiditis, and many other problems. In some breeds, it's just asking for trouble.

#52 of 143 Old 05-10-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post
I am pretty certain cats cannot get parvo. Are you talking about distemper? If so, distemper is almost always a puppy/kitten disease -- or can infect those immune depressed.
It's a disease LIKE parvo that they get. I am not a cat person so I do not remember the name. Pan-something? But it's very much like parvo and highly fatal. I do not even know if there is a vaccine for it, actually.

#53 of 143 Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Addison's actually IS related to vaxes. Addison's is an immune system malfunction related to the adrenal glands, and yes vaccines interfere with the immune system. One of my best dog friends breeds Bearded Collies,(VERY prone to Addison's) and they will not vax at all due to the risk of dogs developing Addison's and other autoimmune disease like lupus, autoimmune thyroiditis, etc.
I agree that Addisons is most definately a vaccine related illness. My Great Dane's grandmother died of Addison's 2 weeks after being vaccinated. In between those 2 weeks she suffered terribly but by the time they found out what was wrong, it was too late for her.

#54 of 143 Old 05-10-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface15 View Post
thanks angie. he's been on a special prescription allergy food for past two years b/c his blood work said he's allergic to about 14 different things between grass, trees, beef, chicken, etc. I'll have to check into the foods you mentioned. what type of "raw" food diet do you do? his back is all full of sores and I feel soooo bad for him. I didn't realize about heartworm meds. I know he can't have the chewable b/c their flavored. I'll have to check into frontline stuff too, we have ALOT of ticks in our area and being pregnant I'm nervous. DH has gotten bit by two in the past week.
Yeah my vet wanted my dogs on the "special diet" that special diet is WAY too expensive and the ingrediants are disgusting. It isnt much better then feeding Purina. Even though most think dog food is dog food, it isnt. Most is based on where they get their meat sources, grains, etc. The meats found in Ol'Roy, Purina, Iams, Nutro, etc are the left over parts like chicken beaks, feathers, and blood. It also has to be denatured which means they have to make it unfit for human consumption and by doing that, they poor chemicals like citronella on the meat. The meat found in high-quality kibbles are human grade sources. They are a little expensive but worth it. Even though your dog is allergic to many types of things, so was mine but she could eat the things she was allergic too but in a different form. A real piece of meat is different from a denatured piece, kwim?

I dont feed raw anymore, not since the twins came home. We just couldnt find the time to package 320# of raw meat a month so we switched to a high-quality kibble and they are doing great. When we did feed raw (for 5 years) we fed a variety of meat like chicken quarters/backs, beef, deer, lamb, pork, etc. Organs like beef heart, liver, brains, kidneys, etc. You can go to any search engine and type in "raw food diet for dogs" and you will get alot of info. Also the main vets behind this diet is Dr. Tom Lonsdale and Dr Ian Billinghurst. Personally I would follow Lonsdale's raw diet.

#55 of 143 Old 05-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks Angie for the names of the other dog foods. I was just comparing the Calf. Natural to the hill's z/d ultra allergen he's been eating. The z/d has two preservatives in it that can cause skin problems, cancer and liver problems and he's been eating it for 2yrs. I've asked a couple times if the food could be the problem and they said no. I'm so mad I could spit nails, what is wrong with the medical community!: The store locator shows the pet store next to vet carrries it so I'm going to get some today. Hopefully this will help, we also deceided to stop shots and meds since they don't seem to be helping anyway. If his skin, ears and eyes are a mess I can only imagine what his insides are like. I will feel even worse if I find out what I've been feeding him everyday for 2yrs has been making the problem worse, but for his sake I hope the new food works.
#56 of 143 Old 05-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
It's a disease LIKE parvo that they get. I am not a cat person so I do not remember the name. Pan-something? But it's very much like parvo and highly fatal. I do not even know if there is a vaccine for it, actually.
You guys are right ... Feline Panleukopenia is called distemper and is extremely similar to the virus that causes parvo in dogs, hence my confusion. There is a vaccine for it: http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/a...h/feline.asp#4

In my friend's case, all of the non-vaxed kittens died, the partially vaxed kittens sometimes pulled through, and the fully vaxed kittens were fine. So while I don't vax my own indoor cats currently, if they went outdoors or if I were introducing cats from unknown environments (as in a foster-care situation), I would vax. Sadly, rescued pets can often carry some pretty nasty diseases, especially when they're first taken in
#57 of 143 Old 05-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Ah... okay so there is a vaccine for it. Well, I guess that is good because I have seen cats that have it and it spreads like wildfire. I don't (can't) have cats due to severe cat allergy. But I was a vet tech in college and vaguely remembered something about the disease.

So sorry for the loss of the kitties...

#58 of 143 Old 05-10-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface15 View Post
Thanks Angie for the names of the other dog foods. I was just comparing the Calf. Natural to the hill's z/d ultra allergen he's been eating. The z/d has two preservatives in it that can cause skin problems, cancer and liver problems and he's been eating it for 2yrs. I've asked a couple times if the food could be the problem and they said no. I'm so mad I could spit nails, what is wrong with the medical community!: The store locator shows the pet store next to vet carrries it so I'm going to get some today. Hopefully this will help, we also deceided to stop shots and meds since they don't seem to be helping anyway. If his skin, ears and eyes are a mess I can only imagine what his insides are like. I will feel even worse if I find out what I've been feeding him everyday for 2yrs has been making the problem worse, but for his sake I hope the new food works.
Glad to hear it. I know it is amazing what the dog food companies put in their food and that the vets push for it. Hopefully this does solve his problem..keep me updated, please!

#59 of 143 Old 05-10-2007, 05:35 PM

I used to and stopped. I just do rabies now for the dogs.
#60 of 143 Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
None of our pets are vaxed. And it was QUITE a struggle to find a vet who'd spay my female cat without vaxing her! :
We just got our cat spayed without even thinking about the fact that we hadn't vaxed her. They did it anyways without even asking and we found out via the bill. SO mad!!

As for our dogs, we don't vax our adult dogs other than rabies. We live out in the boonies and the county can put your dog down if it does attack and is not vaxed. But, also living out makes me worry more about the risk of rabies, so we do that. I did vax as puppies (selectively, w/ researched dec.) b/c I had a dog catch parvo at 6 mos. and she luckily survived, but it was awful!! And awfully expensive too. Not that I wouldn't pay that again for her, just making a point.

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page