December 2008 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 137 Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry for the late start on this ... forgot it was the First!

Alright, this is it ... the last inning of 2008. December is here and all the chips will be called in in 31 days. Get those last books for 2008 in and then we can put this year's book challenge to bed.

I have mixed so many metaphors in that that it is not even funny. I'll stop now.

Happy December to all have a good winter's read to close out the year! :

(Did you know ghost stories are traditional for this time of year? Food for thought.)

Just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), new and improved guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

So, with that, avante and a happy reading December to everyone!

January's thread is HERE
February's thread is HERE
March's thread is HERE
April's thread is HERE
May's thread is HERE
June's thread is HERE
July's thread is HERE
August's thread is HERE
September's thread is HERE
October's thread is HERE
November's thread is HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#2 of 137 Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 AM

Thanks for starting the new thread.

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

From the cover:

Towner Whitney, the self-confessed unreliable narrator of The Lace Reader, hails from a family of Salem women who can read the future in the patterns in lace, and who have guarded a history of secrets going back generations, but the disappearance of two women brings Towner home to Salem and the truth about the death of her twin sister to light.
#3 of 137 Old 12-02-2008, 02:54 AM

#62 The Underneath by Kathi Appelt

Summary: An abandoned cat with kittens on the way befriends a hound who's chained up all day every day and when he is fed, it usually comes with a kick from a steel-toed boot. The cat, her kittens, and this hound stay underneath the porch where the man with the boot can't get to them. They're safe as long as they stay in The Underneath. But have you ever tried to keep a kitten in one place?

Review: Absolutely gorgeous book. The cover has a quote from Louis Sachar, where he calls the book "poetic." I'm not usually a fan of poetry, so this initially put me off and I prioritized reading another National Book Award nominee, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, first. I did end up enjoying the Frankie book more than this one, but just by the width of the tiniest kitten whisker.

But now I see where Sachar was coming from calling this book "poetic." It's not poetic in the sense of flowery language, aren't trees pretty, la la la. It's poetic because the language is so vivid and true it takes your freaking breath away.

On the whole, this is a sorrowful little story, but so, so worth the emotional ups and downs. As I was flipping through the book to write this review, I actually found myself stopping and re-reading entire chapters!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#4 of 137 Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
#62 The Underneath by Kathi Appelt
My dd just finished this and loved it. I plan to read it too.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#5 of 137 Old 12-02-2008, 06:47 PM

"Jitterbug Perfume" by Tom Robbins

The story alternates between modern day (3 separate stories of people in various parts of the world all with something to do with perfume) and an ancient story of a king who searches for immortality.

This was a weird book. It was lent to me by the same friend who lent me "The Man Who Fell In Love with the Moon" so I had high hopes but I never really got that into it. I mean, it was okay and there were parts that were good, but there were other parts where I just wanted to get through them and onto something interesting.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#6 of 137 Old 12-02-2008, 07:35 PM

#47 Happy To Be Here by Garrison Keillor

Maybe I should stick with listening to Garrison Keillor? I didn't really care for this book. Or maybe I should read a different Garrison Keillor book? Any recommendations?

Nice work on hitting 100 books NCD!

I have about 30 left to hit my goal of 75, think I can make it?
#7 of 137 Old 12-03-2008, 12:03 AM

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Loved this one! I hope there is a sequel and Frankie gets to kick some major Bassett butt.

Best quote:

"Frankie remembered how Matthew had called her a pretty package, how he'd called her mind little, how he'd told her not to change - as if he had some power over her. A tiny part of her wanted to go over to him and shout, "I can feel like a hag some days if I want! And I can tell everybody how insecure I am if I want! Or I can be pretty and pretend to think I'm a hag out of fake modesty - I can do that if I want, too. Because you, Livingston, are not the boss of me and what kind of girl I become." But most of her simply felt happy that he had put his arm around her and told her he thought she was pretty."
#8 of 137 Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
"Jitterbug Perfume" by Tom Robbins

The story alternates between modern day (3 separate stories of people in various parts of the world all with something to do with perfume) and an ancient story of a king who searches for immortality.

This was a weird book. It was lent to me by the same friend who lent me "The Man Who Fell In Love with the Moon" so I had high hopes but I never really got that into it. I mean, it was okay and there were parts that were good, but there were other parts where I just wanted to get through them and onto something interesting.
I read this in my early 20s and loved it. Tried again in my late 30s and couldn't get into it. I think some books might work only for certain times in our lives..before or after that, and they lose their magic.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#9 of 137 Old 12-03-2008, 12:37 PM

Okay....I haven't been doing much reading lately because i NaNoWriMoed instead, and won! I'm now in the editing process, which is possibly more fun than the writing.

On the reading front....

#59: My Start-Up Life, by Ben Casnocha

About an eighth-grader who starts his own dot-com business, and how he juggles school and business meetings with venture capitalists. There was some great advice in here, particularly for non-business types such as myself who are forced to wear the "business hat" sometimes.

#60: Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific, by J. Maarten Troost

Recommended LONG ago by someone on this forum. Troost goes to Kiribati with his girlfriend for a two-year stay (she gets a job there, he goes along for the ride). He expects palm trees and white sand beaches; he gets trash-filled lagoons and scrawny dogs. Great humor in this one, and wonderful insight about people who try to "advance" cultures other than their own. But it was about 40 pages too long, which I attribute to Troost's lavish use of adverbs. Remove most of those, and the book is a decent length.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#10 of 137 Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post
Okay....I haven't been doing much reading lately because i NaNoWriMoed instead, and won! I'm now in the editing process, which is possibly more fun than the writing.
Congratulations!

#11 of 137 Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM

Imaginary Men by Anjali Banerjee

A perfect chick-lit with an Indian flair. While in India for her sister's wedding he main character --- herself an official matchmaker -- invents a fiance to appease her family's desire for her to be married. When she returns to the San Francisco, she has to find a real man to take the role.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#12 of 137 Old 12-03-2008, 07:02 PM

Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler

I last read this about fifteen years ago for a class, but I only remembered the broadest of contours. It was an absorbing re-read.

First published in 1940, it's a novel set in the late 1930s Stalinist Russia (though Russia and Stalin are never mentioned by name - the Stalin figure is known only as Number One), centering on a (fictitious) old-guard Bolshevik, Rubashov, the last one remaining from an iconic photo that used to adorn all Soviet offices. Now all but Rubashov and Number One are gone, the remaining heroes of the Revolution executed or otherwise dead. Rubashov is jailed at the outset of the novel, accused of fomenting counter-revolution and placed in solitary confinement. Over the course of the novel, he reflects on the revolution, on his own conduct, and considers whether he should confess.
Ultimately, he comes to recognize the true danger in the view he has always espoused, that the end justifies the means.

Great read! And very prescient when you consider it was published in 1940.
#13 of 137 Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post
I read this in my early 20s and loved it. Tried again in my late 30s and couldn't get into it. I think some books might work only for certain times in our lives..before or after that, and they lose their magic.
So true! I really liked the Tom Robbins books in my early 20's too. Now, not so much. But there definitely are other books that I started earlier in my life that didnt resonate, and now do.
#14 of 137 Old 12-07-2008, 02:46 AM

#33 The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Fun, empowering book. Definately a page turner.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#15 of 137 Old 12-07-2008, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Recently I have read some children's books and I recommend them all.

First Light - Rebecca Stead
Found - Margaret Pederson Haddix
Life as We Knew It - Susan Beth Pfeffer

This doesn't count, I suppose, but the last adult book I finished was The City of Trembling Leaves and while it is long and kind of slow reading, I really liked it in the end.
#16 of 137 Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 AM

"The Fledging" - Octavia E. Butler

This book creeped me out a little too much. I really couldn't like and feel for the main character because she was so freaky and weird. I was really, really turned off by the relationships between the Ina and the symbionts. Really. I was glad when this book was over.
#17 of 137 Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 AM

#131 The White Mary by Kira Salek

This was a book club read for this Thursday.... It was okay. I felt myself trudging through it...From Amazon:
Quote:
A young reporter embarks on a dangerous adventure in Salak's gripping debut novel, a blend of Heart of Darkness and Tomb Raider. Like her protagonist, Marika Vecera, award-winning journalist Salak has traveled solo—and narrowly escaped death—in the world's most remote and terrifying places, including war-torn Congo and the interior of Papua New Guinea. Marika, an ambitious journalist, travels to discover the truth about war correspondent Robert Lewis, who has observed some of the modern world's greatest atrocities. He is believed to have committed suicide, but a letter from a missionary leaves Marika thinking he may still be alive in the wilds of Papua New Guinea. She sets off on her quest, and eventually malaria, ritual murder and arduous trekking through the wilderness lead Marika to some startling discoveries and a pathway out of her own past trauma. While the book can be harrowing (the graphic descriptions of torture are sobering and hard to put out of mind), it offers Marika a redemptive optimism in the face of the worst humanity has to offer.
#18 of 137 Old 12-07-2008, 06:21 PM

Another NaNoWriMo winner here.

#63 Chains
by Laurie Halse Anderson

Isabel is a 13-year-old slave girl during the Revolutionary War. Isabel is promised freedom for herself and her sister when their owner dies. But instead, they're sold to a heartless couple in New York, where Isabel becomes entangled in the struggle between the Americans and the British.

If you like historical fiction, you can't get much better than Chains. This book immediately transports you to the time of the Revolutionary War. If you or a child in your life would like to learn more about that period beyond memorizing battle dates and places, check out this book.

You can't help but feel what Isabel feels—scared, trapped, desperate. I usually shy away from stories set during times of slavery because it's too, too much to stomach. (Same reason I avoid war movies.) But this story manages to keep a thread of hope throughout so you don't end up feeling crushed by sadness and outrage.

I'm looking forward to the sequel, Forge.

#19 of 137 Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 AM

A few of these belong in November, but I'm too lazy to do two threads.

60. A Quick Bite - Lynsay Sans
Paranormal Romance - This was a cutesy paranormal romance - with emphasis on the romance. The main characters is a (born) vampire who passes out at the sight of blood, thus complicating her diet. In this paranormal universe, vamps exist and are just like you and me, with a different diet, but don't advertise their presence to the normals. This was a somewhat funny story, but the world didn't interest me that much and the plot was almost nonexistent. The romance was cute though. I will probably give this series one more shot and then call it good depending on how that one goes down.

61. Blood Drive - Jeanne C. Stein
Book 2 in the Anna Strong Series - Urban Fantasy/Vampires - This series is turning out to be pretty dark and more humorless than I was hoping for. Anna is a strong lead (no pun intended) but I tend to like a little more snark and quirk in my paranormal/urban fantasies. I'll probably continue reading the series just to see where it goes next, but I'm not really highly anticipating the next installment.

62. Succubus Dreams - Richelle Mead
Paranormal Fantasy/Romance - The third installment of Georgina Kincaid, succubus in residence in Seattle. I really like this series, but the ending to this installment was less than satisfactory.

63. You Suck: A Love Story - Christopher Moore
Humor/Urban Fantasy - I didn't realize this was the second installment of a trilogy, but I pretty much loved this book! It was laugh-out-loud funny. I kept thinking I was going to wake up my kid from laughing so hard. This was my second Christopher Moore book, and I definitely want to read more. This was much funnier than The Lust Lizard book. I want to be BFF with Abby Normal!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#20 of 137 Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Another NaNoWriMo winner here.
YAY Snozzberry!

I didn't do the NaNoWriMO officially but I did power through the first draft of my next children's chapter book -- working on refining it now.

#21 of 137 Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 PM

"The Hour I First Believed" by Wally Lamb

Well, this was quite a long book that probably could have been cut by 100 pages or so. It was good though--about a couple of teachers who worked at Columbine HS during the shootings and how it affected their lives--but also incorporates treatment of women in prison, the flood in New Orleans, a little feminism and other issues.

#22 of 137 Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
YAY Snozzberry!

I didn't do the NaNoWriMO officially but I did power through the first draft of my next children's chapter book -- working on refining it now.
What's NaNoWriMo? Sounds interesting

Quote:
"The Hour I First Believed" by Wally Lamb

Well, this was quite a long book that probably could have been cut by 100 pages or so. It was good though--about a couple of teachers who worked at Columbine HS during the shootings and how it affected their lives--but also incorporates treatment of women in prison, the flood in New Orleans, a little feminism and other issues.
I liked his other books, this is on my library list
#23 of 137 Old 12-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Check out the web site at www.nanowrimo.org

In November, you try to write 50,000 words emphasizing quantity not quality--just to get your novel written.

#24 of 137 Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Check out the web site at www.nanowrimo.org

In November, you try to write 50,000 words emphasizing quantity not quality--just to get your novel written.
Cool! Thanks

:

I just forwarded that on to my mom. She would love that!
#25 of 137 Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 PM

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

Hanna Heath is a rare book conservator who has been hired to work on the fabled Sarajevo Haggadah. The story jumps between Hanna and those who have touched the haggadah from the 1400s to the present. If you enjoy historical fiction, you will not be disappointed by this book. Brooks does a wonderful job weaving past with present.

(1-04) (8-09)
#26 of 137 Old 12-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Devil's Corner, Lisa Scottoline
Quote:
Assistant U.S. attorney Vicki Allegretti's meeting with a confidential informant goes terribly wrong when the routine appointment turns into a bloodbath, leaving Vicki's ATF partner, Morty, dead along with the informant and her unborn child. Vicki's bosses tell her to move on to her next case, but Vicki, determined to find the killer, launches her own investigation, in the course of which she takes on an unlikely partner, Reheema, an African American woman whose mother was killed in a drug-related murder that may connect to Vicki's case.
I enjoyed this one. Vicki is a really likeable character, and the plot is intruiging, particularly considering the current state of affairs in Philly. Corruption at the highest level?

Affluenza, DeGraff et al.
Quote:
In their eye-opening, soul-prodding look at the excess of American society, the authors of Affluenza include two quotations that encapsulate much of the book: T.S. Eliot's line "We are the hollow men / We are the stuffed men," which opens one of this book's chapters, and a quote from a newspaper article that notes "We are a nation that shouts at a microwave oven to hurry up." If these observations make you grimace at your own ruthless consumption or sigh at the hurried pace of your life, you may already be ill. Read on.
Hmmm, still can't decide how I feel about this one. A bit preachy, but well written and entertaining. I'm not sure it's going to convert anyone -- I mean I try to live simply but even I read points and didn't think I could live up to expectations. I think the movie it's based on might be more inspiring. Certainly will give me something even more to think about when I'm buying.

1-Garden of Beasts, #2-Passporter Guide to WDW, #3-Skylight Confessions, #4 - The Secret, #5 - The Kite Runner, #6 - Gone, #7 - Hidden Mickeys, #8 - Into Thin Air, #9 - Wolf Point, #10 - Ocean Breezes, #11 - Harmony Guide to Cables and Aran, #12 - East, #13 - Getting Started Knitting Socks, #14 - Keeping Faith, #15 - The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight, #16 The Big Nap, #17 - Grave of God's Daughter, #18 - Daddy's Girl, #19 - Behind the Scenes at the Museum, #20 - America, #21 - The Little Friend, #22 - Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, #23 - Candyfreak, #24 - Devil in the White City, #25 A Playdate with Death, #26 - Lunch Lessons, #27 - Hidden, #28 Garden of Eden and other Criminal Delights, #29 The Amber Room, #30 The Keep, #31 March, #32 Triathlons for Women, #33 Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, #34 - Mirror, Mirror, #35 - The Kingdom Keepers, #36 Freakonomics, #37 - The Thirteenth Tale, #38 - The Jungle Law, #39 - The Double Bind, #40 - The Burnt House, #41 Devil's Corner, #42 - Affluenza
#27 of 137 Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 AM

The Fall of Candy Corn by Debbie Viguié

I almost shouldn't admit I read this series -- its about as hokey as it gets in the genre of Christian teen chick-lit (is that even a genre). Candace "Candy" is back working at the amusement park The Zone, this time for the annual Halloween event. She fights sabetours, her boyfriend and her own self-doubts in the second installment of this series.

(1-04) (8-09)
#28 of 137 Old 12-09-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Cool, cathe! Do you have a pub date for your 1st chapter book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post
Affluenza, DeGraff et al.

Hmmm, still can't decide how I feel about this one. A bit preachy, but well written and entertaining. I'm not sure it's going to convert anyone -- I mean I try to live simply but even I read points and didn't think I could live up to expectations. I think the movie it's based on might be more inspiring. Certainly will give me something even more to think about when I'm buying.
It converted me. I'd never thought about those issues before, and I read it for a book club. Many of us in the book club feel like that book changed our lives!

#64 No Plot? No Problem! A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days by Chris Baty

This made for a fun read during my crazy month of writing. And this book is what convinced me I didn't need to stress out about writing an outline before NaNoWriMo because according to Baty, "plot happens." Which is completely true. The story arc and ending I first envisioned for my novel are completely different from how they actually turned out. That's a good thing, I promise you.

The week-by-week guide was helpful, even if my writing motivation didn't track it exactly. The book also had writing exercises throughout that I haven't tried yet but sound fun, like the person and thing game.

You take your notebook, pen, and an unread newspaper and go to a public place with lots of foot traffic. Close your eyes, count to fifteen, then open your eyes. The first person you see is your Person. Write down everything you can about them before they leave your sight. Then take your newspaper, close your eyes, open it to a random page, move your finger down the page a few seconds, and open your eyes again. Whatever you're pointing to has a deep connection to your Person. What's the connection? Figure it out and write about it. And bonus points for integrating your Person into your current writing project!

#29 of 137 Old 12-09-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
#64 No Plot? No Problem! A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days by Chris Baty

This made for a fun read during my crazy month of writing. And this book is what convinced me I didn't need to stress out about writing an outline before NaNoWriMo because according to Baty, "plot happens." Which is completely true. The story arc and ending I first envisioned for my novel are completely different from how they actually turned out. That's a good thing, I promise you.

The week-by-week guide was helpful, even if my writing motivation didn't track it exactly. The book also had writing exercises throughout that I haven't tried yet but sound fun, like the person and thing game.

You take your notebook, pen, and an unread newspaper and go to a public place with lots of foot traffic. Close your eyes, count to fifteen, then open your eyes. The first person you see is your Person. Write down everything you can about them before they leave your sight. Then take your newspaper, close your eyes, open it to a random page, move your finger down the page a few seconds, and open your eyes again. Whatever you're pointing to has a deep connection to your Person. What's the connection? Figure it out and write about it. And bonus points for integrating your Person into your current writing project!
That sounds like a great book! I love the Person-Thing game idea, how fun!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#30 of 137 Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Cool, cathe! Do you have a pub date for your 1st chapter book?
I wish! Haven't gotten a publisher yet -- actually haven't started sending it out yet. Hope to start submitting it during winter break . . .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page