Janaury 2009 Book Challenge - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 365 Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm late posting these, but I read them in January (or is it Janaury? ), so here they are.

5. Sunshine - Robin McKinley

I would give this 3.5 stars out of 5. Not really what I expected - very different from most other paranormal/urban fantasy, which wasn't a bad thing necessarily. I just wanted a little less agonizing and a little more magic. But, it was interesting and I plan on reading more by this author. I'm open to suggestions here.

6. Storm Front (Dresden Files, Book 1) - Jim Butcher

I don't know why I haven't read this series until now, it's really good! It's very interesting to read paranormal/urban fantasy both by a male author AND with a male protagonist - this is a very female heavy genre. A lot of potentional here for interesting adventures. I love when I start a series late and don't have to wait years for the next installment - I think there are like 9 more already published! Woo-hoo!

1. One Foot In the Grave - Jeaniene Frost 2. Shadow Kiss - Richelle Mead 3. Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooling Life - Rue Kream 4. Lord of Misrule (Morganville Vampires, Book 5) - Rachel Caine 5. Sunshine - Robin McKinley 6. Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) - Jim Butcher

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 365 Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
#5 The Bastard Of Istanbul by Elif Shafak

Eh. I couldn't connect with this book. Story of two young women, one a Turk living in Istanbul, the other an Armenian-American splitting her time between San Francisco with her dad and her Arizona with her mom. Set in present time. I wanted to like this book, but ended up skimming the last 100 pages to make sure I wasn't missing the point. Didn't figure out what the point was though.

Plus I got caught up in my next book, World Without End. It's got me hooked already.
Just jumping in since I read this book over the summer and I have to say that you're right, it was a little awkward. Unless you have a real understanding of Turkish-Armenian-American politics and social situations, it wouldn't make much sense. And it just makes more sense in Turkish than English, even though the author is fluent in English and did the translation herself.

Elif Şafak was actually prosecuted in Turkiye under Article 301 for a perceived anti-Turkish statement made by one of the characters in the book. The trial started one week after she gave birth and the charges were dropped amid public outcry over the idiocy of the whole thing. Had she not been prosecuted for it, I doubt seriously that the book would ever have received the press that it did and likely wouldn't have been published in English.
#363 of 365 Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 PM

1. T is For Tresspass - Sue Grafton completed 1/3/09
2. Marley and Me - John Grogan completed 1/13/09
3. A Thousand Splendid Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini completed 1/22/09
4. Harvesting the Heart - Jodi Picoult completed 2/2/09 (Liked the story. It wasn't like her more recent "twist at the end" books. )

I have declared 2009 as the year of "You haven't read that yet?"

So...I have started the Twilight series. A questions to the series readers, Should I devour them all in a row, or should I read one, move on to another book, read a Twilight book, move on to a different book, etc...?

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

#364 of 365 Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmom View Post

I have declared 2009 as the year of "You haven't read that yet?"

So...I have started the Twilight series. A questions to the series readers, Should I devour them all in a row, or should I read one, move on to another book, read a Twilight book, move on to a different book, etc...?
My humble opinion: read them quick(there is no lyrical poetic beauty to savor). I did take a break in between a couple of them- just to remind myself that I was an adult and could get pleasure from other (adult) books. I read them all pretty quick- enjoyed it (mostly) at the time, but looking back I am glad I didn't give up too much time to them. That said, enjoy!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#365 of 365 Old 02-05-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
Just jumping in since I read this book over the summer and I have to say that you're right, it was a little awkward. Unless you have a real understanding of Turkish-Armenian-American politics and social situations, it wouldn't make much sense. And it just makes more sense in Turkish than English, even though the author is fluent in English and did the translation herself.

Elif Şafak was actually prosecuted in Turkiye under Article 301 for a perceived anti-Turkish statement made by one of the characters in the book. The trial started one week after she gave birth and the charges were dropped amid public outcry over the idiocy of the whole thing. Had she not been prosecuted for it, I doubt seriously that the book would ever have received the press that it did and likely wouldn't have been published in English.
Oh, thank you for writing this! I'm glad it wasnt just me.

Interesting info about her too. I didnt realize that. Glad the charges were dropped.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page