Janaury 2009 Book Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 365 Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to join this year! Hmmm, it's tough to set a goal. I will try to read 50 books. That feels doable for me. I am famous though for starting books and not finishing!!

#1 The Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonald

This is the first in the Travis McGee novels. I've been nagged for years to read this series by relatives who live in South Florida. I'm glad I finally picked up the book. Great light reading for a cold winter night.

hh2.gif

#62 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 12:19 AM

Cool, cathe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post
#1: Life As We Knew It, by Susan Beth Pfeffer

This was pretty good...for YA. I guess my expectations of YA fiction need to be lowered a bit...I tend to find it somewhat shallow, as if one or two layers of introspection have been removed. Yet I keep reading it!
In that case, I think you would like Into the Forest by Jean Hegland. Same sort of premise of LAWKI, but a more mature book/main characters. I liked it more than LAWKI myself.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#63 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Frida's Bed by Slavenka Drakulic

This is a novel but based on the life of the painter Frida Kahlos. Though the story was amazing (her life and what she went through) the writing was very strange -- it kept changing point of views, not of different people but from third person to first person and past to present. It's translated from Croatian so I'm not sure if that's where the confusion is from or if it was written in this strange way.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#64 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 01:24 AM

I finished A Flaw in the Blood by Stephanie Barron. It is a mystery set in the Victorian era just after the death of Prince Albert, and imagines an alternate reason for his death. Queen Victoria narrates every third chapter or so. It was a quick, enjoyable read, and I give it a solid 3 1/2 stars out of 5.
#65 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
#1 The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

Apropo for the first finished book of the year I think I really enjoyed this. I liked pretty much everything Obama had to say. And if he can accomplish half of what he lays out here in his presidency, I think our country will be a much better place for everyone. I think this is a must read for everyone. Inspiring to say the least, for me anyway

i am so glad to hear a good review of this book. its next on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromero View Post
#2 A Thousand Splendid Suns
Loved it just as much as the Kite Runner. Several times I had to put the book down, go do a load of dishes and then get back to it. Some of the things that happened were so hard to read.

Next on my list....Life As We Knew It. Everyone had such great reviews about it, so hopefully I can make a trip to the book store in the next day or so.
i just reserved these 2 books at the library. i need to figure out how to read during the day if im going to meet my goals this year. the internet doesnt help! lol!
#66 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 PM

I'm just jumping in without a goal rather than reading when I have time. Baby #1 is one the way...

I am working on book #1: I Dreamed of Africa. So far so good.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#67 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
I'm so excited . . . Remember me raving about the book Darling Jim? Well, I just got the author Christian Moerk as the keynoter for the Central Coast Writers' Conference in October. I'm so excited to meet him!
Oh that's cool! Nice work!

#2 Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

Pretty fun read actually. Carrie Fisher is funny in a dark AA/NA kind of way. She cracked me up a couple times. I was drawn in by the cover and enjoyed the book in a light tabloidish book sort of way.
#68 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleo View Post
I'm beginning with 50 books, but that may increase. Since October I've been getting true crime books.
I just finished:
The Cases That Haunt Us by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker
and I'm currently reading:
Zodiac by Robert Graysmith

the next books in my list are:
Death of Innocence by John and Patsy Ramsey
Black Dahlia Files by Don Wolfe
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
1. The cases that haunt us by John Dougles and Mark Olshaker
2 Zodiac by Robert Graysmith (god was it boring!!)

I'm reading Death of Innocence right now,. So far so good

Quote:
Ugh, Jane Eyre
:

Alee, mamma to Leon (2) and expecting #2 May '10 :
#69 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM

Okay, my goal is not to drop out by April like I did last year heh... I didn't stop reading, but I stopped coming here and looking at what others are reading... so I'm in again.

I'm starting the year with Hunger Games (Collins), and Schooled (Korman). Not finished yet, but already completely in love with Hunger Games.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#70 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 PM

3. Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

About half way into this book, I was thinking that Lancaster was a real witch. She seemed more likable in the first book by her that I read (Bright Lights, Big Ass). However, as I continued on I remembered why I appreciate her biting sarcasm and wit. So I still want to go out for margaritas with her. But I am a little more scared of her.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#71 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 PM

"The Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella

This was the perfect book for me today when I'm feeling miserable with a cold. It was so funny and enjoyable to read. About a high-powered lawyer who runs away when she makes a huge mistake and ends up a housekeeper. When she gets cleared at the law firm and offered her dream job as partner, she has to decide if she wants to go back.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#72 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 08:13 PM

1. The Glass Castle (Jeannette Walls)
This was difficult for me to read, as I am overly sensitive to the struggles of others. Some of the things the parents did and said to their children were absolutely unthinkable. I was left wondering if they really did think they were helping their children by allowing them to struggle, or if they were just too lazy and selfish to take care of them and used that as an excuse. It did make me thankful for what I have and sort of gave me a kick in the pants to start helping people. And it was definitely a page-turner--I couldn't wait to see how the kids turned out as adults.
#73 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 08:37 PM

I'd love to join. I lurked on this thread last year to get book ideas, but I never posted. I will sign up to read 109 books in 2009.

So far:
1. The Historian (Kostova) - on the recommendation of this thread! It was hard to put down. Very engrossing.

2. Garden Spells (Sarah Addison Allen) - light, quirky, thoroughly enjoyable. I will watch for her next book. Her latest book, The Sugar Queen was also light, quirky and thoroughly enjoyable.

3. Errands (Judith Guest) - this one was in my bag of paperbacks. Published in 1997, a very good character study, kind of sad. (A family where the Dad dies of a brain tumor.)

Now off to the library website to order the latest recommendations from this thread.
#74 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:

This was the perfect book for me today when I'm feeling miserable with a cold. It was so funny and enjoyable to read. About a high-powered lawyer who runs away when she makes a huge mistake and ends up a housekeeper. When she gets cleared at the law firm and offered her dream job as partner, she has to decide if she wants to go back.
Ooh! I remember reading this several years ago and recommending it to everyone at work! It was hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPam View Post

2. Garden Spells (Sarah Addison Allen) - light, quirky, thoroughly enjoyable. I will watch for her next book. Her latest book, The Sugar Queen was also light, quirky and thoroughly enjoyable.
She has a new book coming out this year.

2. The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson

I came across this as a Celestial Seasoning's book club pick. It was boring. They should stick to tea.
#75 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:

I loved it too! And I don't care for most chick lit, but this was lovely (and not just because I'm a lawyer...).

#2 - The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett

This was a delightful little novella, sort of a fantasy/fairy tale, about what would happen were the Queen, out with her corgis one day, to come across a mobile library and feel obliged to borrow a book. She becomes an ever more voracious reader, to the chagrin of her minders. I don't think I'd heard of Bennett before, but his writing is charming and literate, and while the story is amusing, I found it also gave me lots to think about.
#76 of 365 Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Okay, my goal is not to drop out by April like I did last year heh... I didn't stop reading, but I stopped coming here and looking at what others are reading... so I'm in again.

I'm starting the year with Hunger Games (Collins), and Schooled (Korman). Not finished yet, but already completely in love with Hunger Games.
Oooo -- both good choices.

#77 of 365 Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 AM

2. Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, Book 3) - Richelle Mead

Vampires/Paranormal/YA - I tore through this book! I really like this series, and this was a good installment, although the ending was really disappointing. I can't believe I have to wait until September for the next one, argh! (I have a more detailed review in the Good Reads link in my siggie, but it seems like not many people here read paranormal so I'm saving space ).

1. One Foot In the Grave - Jeaniene Frost 2. Shadow Kiss - Richelle Mead

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#78 of 365 Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 AM

#3 Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances
John Green, Maureen Johnson, Lauren Myracle

Rating: 3.5/5

Summary: Three interconnected holiday stories of love from three bestselling teen authors.

Review: I wasn't quite ready to let the holidays go, so I actually put this on hold at the library after Christmas. I felt a little weird cracking it open in my living room now completely devoid of holiday decorations. But I'm glad I did.

These are quick, fun stories that made me laugh out loud several times—not a common occurrence when I'm reading. I loved the sarcastic humor of the characters, especially in the first two stories. The main character in the last story was a little whiny for my taste, but that was kind of the whole point of the story in the first place so I got over it.

I already had John Green's Paper Towns on my to-read list, but I loved Maureen Johnson's writing so I'm trying to pick one of her books to add. Maybe Devilish?

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#79 of 365 Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Well, it always feels weird to start again at 1.... Last year I tried to read a little less and I think I succeeded (I know, I know, a less slothful person would go and check the 2008 and 2007 threads.). I've thought about doing the same for this year -- I even thought about saying I'd just do one book a week.... I'm not sure I can really do that, though.....At any rate, I'm starting the new year with three books fairly different from each other:

#1 Blindspot by Jane Kamensky and Jill Lepore
The professional review on Amazon didn't have much good to say about this one, but I enjoyed it -- and the 18 out of 23 of the "normal people" reviews gave it 4 or 5 stars. Set in 1764, two main characters are a portraitist from Scotland and a young girl (from a "good family") in Boston who has fallen into ruin. Written by two historians. I feel a little sheepish that I liked it when the critics didn't, so I won't recommend it wholeheartedly....

#2 Fine Just the Way It Is by Annie Proulx
Collection of short stories set in Wyoming. By the author of Brokeback
Mountain (which was also a short story). Very diverse.

#3 Shroud for a Nightingale by P.D. James
Another in the Adam Dalgliesh series. I'm liking them again -- I think something about this one was a bit more British mystery-ish to me, and that helped. I realized that I long for a character list a la Agatha Christie, to keep everyone straight.

Quote:
I'm so excited . . . Remember me raving about the book Darling Jim? Well, I just got the author Christian Moerk as the keynoter for the Central Coast Writers' Conference in October. I'm so excited to meet him!
Super cool, Cathe!
#80 of 365 Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 PM

#6 My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler. Laugh out loud funny, pretty shocking, a bit draggy toward the end. There is only so much you can read about someone's sex life, and she did try a bit too hard for laughs from time to time. 3 stars.
#81 of 365 Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
Well, it always feels weird to start again at 1.... Last year I tried to read a little less and I think I succeeded (I know, I know, a less slothful person would go and check the 2008 and 2007 threads.). I've thought about doing the same for this year -- I even thought about saying I'd just do one book a week.... I'm not sure I can really do that, though.....At any rate, I'm starting the new year with three books fairly different from each other:
It is weird to start at 1 again isn't it?

And read less!?! I've always wondered how you manage to read so much!
#82 of 365 Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 PM

#1. The Hunger Games (Collins)

An excellent book. Well written page turner. Bound to make you think and feel, and I will definitely be rereading it. I am very happy I bought it, and I won't be able to wait until 2010 for the sequel!!

It is set in the futuristic totalitarian society. 12 districts of the country have to send one boy and one girl (ages 12 to 18) selected via lottery to take part in The Hunger Games. The point of the games is to punish the districts for the uprising by making a show of youth killing each other to survive. The whole show is turned into a reality TV program "celebrated" all across the country. The plot revolves around a girl who steps in to take the place of her little sister who was chosen via the lottery. It is considered almost certain death, as to win the game all the other 23 contestants have to die. It didn't end how I wanted it to end, but it makes sense the way it's written. If you haven't read it - you really should. There is romance, there is a definite food for thought, it reads easy, but carries a heavy message.

P.S. The only thing I would change about the book is names. The main character's name is Katniss, there is a boy Gale, another one is Peeta, bleh.

P.P.S. I always feel a little sad finishing a good book.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#83 of 365 Old 01-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
It is weird to start at 1 again isn't it?

And read less!?! I've always wondered how you manage to read so much!

Maybe I should make my goal 109 and whenever I reach it I have to stop for the year. I just said that to DH and he said "I don't see that happening."

Cathe, how's the cold?
#84 of 365 Old 01-08-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
#1. The Hunger Games (Collins)
I keep hearing good things about this one!
#85 of 365 Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post

Cathe, how's the cold?
Well--I'm at least able to breathe through my nose today so that's a good sign. Still coughing but definitely on the upswing. This was a nasty one -- I just hope the rest of the family doesn't get it that bad. Both of my dd's are in a play next week and they need to be able to sing!

Just got the teaser page up for the writers' conference if anyone wants to check it out . . . http://www.communityprograms.net/wc/wcteaser.htm

#86 of 365 Old 01-09-2009, 04:59 AM

#3 Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

A story about the tragic events that happened in Paris of July 1942. The French rounded more then 10,000 French Jews and sent them to Velodrome d'Hiver in Paris in atrocious conditions. From there they sent them to internment camps and then onto Auschwitz.

The book is not a historical account of what happened (as the author admits in the book). It is about a fictional girl Sarah, who when hearing the police knocking on her door at night, hides her little brother in a secret cupboard and locks him in there, promising to come back later for him.

The book alternates each chapter between a young Sarah in 1942, and Julia, an American living in France in 2002, who happens to be investigating the roundup and how their lives are intertwined.

(naking)
I really liked this book. I am ashamed to admit that I knew nothing about the round up in Velodrome d'Hiver in Paris though. It was very emotional to read about the round up and the camps, but I felt they were neccessary for the story to be in there. I personally loved reading the chapters about Sarah versus Julia....I found myself rushing through Julia's parts to get back to Sarahs story. Towards the end book it did become somewhat weak and predictable. Irregardless, I still really reccommend the book.
#87 of 365 Old 01-09-2009, 06:16 AM

Heh. Maybe I can keep up with this year's thread.

I'm making a goal of 75 for 2009. So far I've read:

1. Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall
2. Night Mare by Piers Anthony (Xanth series)
3. Simply Green Parties by Danny Seo

and I'm in the midst of reading Dragon on a Pedestal by Piers Anthony (Xanth series).

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#88 of 365 Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

I just realized that I selled JANUARY wrong in the thread's title. I'm a loser :

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#89 of 365 Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I just realized that I selled JANUARY wrong in the thread's title. I'm a loser :
I wasn't going to say anything....

on my way to work, but quickly --

#4 The Black Tower by P.D. James
another mystery in the Adam Dalgleish series
#90 of 365 Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 AM

#3 - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

When I was young, I read all the Agatha Christies, but it's been 20 years. This hit the spot!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page