Janaury 2009 Book Challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 365 Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
Last year I tried to read a little less and I think I succeeded (I know, I know, a less slothful person would go and check the 2008 and 2007 threads.). I've thought about doing the same for this year -- I even thought about saying I'd just do one book a week.... I'm not sure I can really do that, though.....
Why would you want to do that?! I am in awe of how fast you read, and a bit jealous too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
#4 The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
That is one of my all-time faves!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#122 of 365 Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 PM

#1 I Dreamed of Africa

A beautiful autobiography. A story of when one door closes another one opens. And... such a beautiful story of the African wildlife and how she helped keep it that way.

Now onto The Birth House and Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#123 of 365 Old 01-11-2009, 07:56 PM

JenLove, I have the film based on that book! Incredible story. Film's not that great...it's a bit uneven but the scenery is gorgeous.

I've been stuck on vid games for the past few days and haven't kept up with my reading. For shame!
#124 of 365 Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
JenLove, I have the film based on that book! Incredible story. Film's not that great...it's a bit uneven but the scenery is gorgeous.
It's next up on my Netflix list.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#125 of 365 Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 PM

2. Life Class (Pat Barker)

Ehh, I wasn't that thrilled with this one. I never felt really in tune with any of the characters, and it seemed to drag on and on, even though it wasn't a terribly long book. Not one of my favorites.
#126 of 365 Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
ok, you convinced me. after Hunger Games.

did you watch the HBO series? thats what caused me to read the books. i just could NOT wait until next spring to find out what happened. you will LOVE them...they are very different than the HBO series though.

im trying so hard to utilize our local library for my reads lately. its saves me SOOO much money!
I didn't watch HBO series, but I hope that our library will have them sooner or later. I can see how it would make great TV show.

I used out library a lot last year. On occasion I buy books after I read them.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#127 of 365 Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 PM

#4 - Digging to America by Anne Tyler

I don't think I've read any Anne Tyler before, and I enjoyed this novel about two families who meet at the airport while adopting girls from Korea. Their paths become increasingly intertwined over the years. Some of it was very insightful, and some of it was ... light, just kind of touching the surface somehow. Very readable overall though.

I thought it was odd that the families were both at the airport for the 'delivery' of their adopted daughters. I'm not overly familiar with this stuff, but I thought families had to travel to the country in question and spend some time there being screened, dealing with the paperwork and so on - not just pick them up as they arrive?
#128 of 365 Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 PM

5. 1906 by James Dalessandro

I got this book thinking it was only about the San Francisco earthquake in 1906. Instead, it is also about the rampant corruption amongst the politicians and police force in San Francisco at the turn of the century. The earthquake is more of a backdrop to the unfolding event. I found it slow at times but still interesting enough that I wanted to finish the book.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#129 of 365 Old 01-11-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
#4 The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

One of my favorite books so far this year. OK, I have only read 4, but I think it will stick as one of my faves.
I read that years ago but remember really loving it as well.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#130 of 365 Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 PM

I just found this thread tonight, and it's the kick in the pants I needed. I haven't finished reading a novel since my daughter was born over 3 years ago. : I've read a bunch of non-fiction, mostly parenting books , but I really want to start reading again just for me without some practical reason.

My goal is to just finish a novel a month, so 12 for the year. If I do more, great. If not, it's still 12 more than I read last year (or the year before that or the year before that ).

I've been browsing at the bookstore and on Amazon lately and gotten some ideas from this thread too. Here are a few that I think I will try:

Sarah's Key
Prodigal Summer
Three Junes
Garden Spells
The Historian

I'd also like to read a few classics like maybe Brave New World. Suggestions welcome.

coolshine.gif

#131 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
this description is haunting me. ... i dont want to read this book (too close to home) but i cant get this little boy out of my head.
I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for it to haunt anyone....
#132 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I just realized that I selled JANUARY wrong in the thread's title. I'm a loser :
Is it okay that I think it's funny that you "selled" it wrong?
#133 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#134 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is it okay that I think it's funny that you "selled" it wrong?
: SHAME :

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#135 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Because I am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas

A YA novel written in verse -- similar to Ellen Hopkins' books. About a teen with an abusive father--except the father doesn't abuse her, just her siblings, and she is torn between being grateful and wanting her father to notice her.

#136 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
I may have to add that book to my list. I found her blog just now and wow! Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyBuggles View Post
I love it, too, and Amanda's blog. Do you read it? She's one of my favorite people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
Is it this one: Blog

Okay, I am officially a member of the Amanda Blake Soule fan club now. I could not stop looking at her blog and flicker photos of her studio and house. I so want to redecorate now. :

Quote:
Cool! I've been familiar with her name for a while, but never read her -- then her latest one was on my amazon recs and I thought I'd better give her a try. Now DH and I are watching a BBC production of one her books, and it's fun.
Did PDJames write Children of Men? What other books would you recommend by her?
#137 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
Ooh, she did -- I had no idea, I haven't read that one. Thus far, I've only read her Adam Dalgliesh series -- currently reading Death of an Expert Witness. If you like British murder mysteries in general, I can't imagine you wouldn't like these...?

#5 Gone Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright
Just re-read this to my feverish daughter. I loved it when I was in about 4th grade, must have read it 143 times. DD likes it too. Have others here read it?

#6 Between Here and April by Deborah Copaken Kogan
I think maybe I got this rec here? I liked it. Fiction about a woman, a journalist, who suddenly remembers about her best friend in first grade who disappeared. She starts doing some research and learns that her friend's mother killed herself and her two daughters. Some interesting passages on both motherhood and marriage. ooh, i was going to quote one, but dd is calling, poor thing.
#138 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Just re-read this to my feverish daughter. I loved it when I was in about 4th grade, must have read it 143 times. DD likes it too. Have others here read it?
Never heard of it . . . going to check it out for my 4th grade dd.

#139 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 PM

143 times? Did you actually keep count??

#140 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 03:14 PM

Oooh! Sign me up for this challenge! I'm a reader. I'm moving away from my beloved book club this month. Very sad.

#1 Waiting for Daisy: A Tale of Two Continents, Three Religions, Five Infertility Doctors, an Oscar, an Atomic Bomb, a Romantic Night by Peggy Orenstein I enjoyed it. Fast read, interesting perspective on struggling with infertility.

Now I am reading Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn.
#141 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Ooh, she did -- I had no idea, I haven't read that one. Thus far, I've only read her Adam Dalgliesh series -- currently reading Death of an Expert Witness. If you like British murder mysteries in general, I can't imagine you wouldn't like these...?

#6 Between Here and April by Deborah Copaken Kogan
I think maybe I got this rec here? I liked it. Fiction about a woman, a journalist, who suddenly remembers about her best friend in first grade who disappeared. She starts doing some research and learns that her friend's mother killed herself and her two daughters. Some interesting passages on both motherhood and marriage. ooh, i was going to quote one, but dd is calling, poor thing.
I enjoyed Children of Men. I'll have to try those other books, sounds fun!
#142 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 05:23 PM

Finished my first two books of the year:
The Senator and the Priest by Andrew Greeley and Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama. There were some interesting parallels between the two books: both dealing with South Side Chicago and Illinois Senators. Greeley deals with the historical and current Irish race relations in the United States which could be termed a victory of acceptance and success in the American culture; while Obama described the struggles of African Americans in the United States and the still strained race relations.

I recommend both books. Greeley is an entertaining fiction writer who incorporates social justice and sociological issues into his writing as well as Catholicism and Irish culture and mysticism. Its a fun book but one that you can think about.

Obama's book helped me to make sense of some of my ponderings regarding my profession and morals. Even though my education is leading me in the direction of a community organizer, I had never heard of the term before. His work in Chicago and as community organizer was familiar to me because that's the sort of work I have done in the past and hope to do more of in the future. I frequently work with various racial groups and I know that the color of my skin is sometimes a barrier to that work. I can't pretend its not an issue because it is. And its a challenge that I'm trying to figure out how to navigate. Obama's words helped to give me some insight. Now I just wish I could find that page again....

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#143 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM

This is a great thread! I've read all the posts and now have a list to go through at the library.

I'm not keeping count. Like another poster said, reading can become a bad sort of escapism to me. I have a hard time putting down a good book. I actually stopped reading fiction for many years after my daughter was born because of that. I'm back to reading but if I tried to set a goal and keep count, that would probably not be a good thing for me.

Still, fun thread and I want to take part

I think the first book I read in 2009 was Stand the Storm by Breena Clarke. I really liked the story for the most part, but wasn't thrilled with the writing. But the story kept me reading. My main complaint was that it took a few chapters to figure out who you were following. I'd be reading about a character and thinking ok, this is someone and then - they die. That happened more than a few times. Finally we established we were following this one boy and his mother. The other characters were sort of peripheral and I wish we'd had more of them and less of the boy. And at the end when some main characters die it was also just sudden and random like that.

Overall, it's a very good story but also very disturbing. It would probably be triggering for some. It's about a black family living in the south just before/during/after the Civil War so as you can imagine, not a light hearted story. Lots of violence, sexual violence and just plain disturbing scenes. A very interesting story though.

I just finished Lima Nights by Marie Arana. It's about a man of German descent who lives in Lima, Peru. He becomes infatuated with a 16 year old native girl. The first half of the book is the two of them getting together and his marriage falling apart because of it. The second half is them still together 20 years later and the problems they are having.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a good read. The story was interesting but I also enjoyed the social issues that were brought up (the German Peruvians vs the Native Peruvians). My only complaint is the ending. It just . . . ended. I don't want to give it away but when it ended I wasn't happy but now, two days later, I think it was fitting.

Last week I read A Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Nicholas Drayson. I almost put this down and am glad I didn't. It was sort of slow to start but I really liked his cute writing style. Sort of quaint with the author talking to the reader (is that called fourth wall in a book too?). After a few chapters I was hooked.

It's about an Indian man living in Kenya. His wife has died and his only family left is his grown daughter who now runs the family business. He doesn't have much to do so he attends a bird watching group every week, where he develops a crush on the woman running it. Then an old acquaintence from school comes into town and shows an interest in the woman too, so they develop a contest. The man who sights the most species of birds in a period of one week is the one who gets to ask the woman to a dance and the loser can only ask her if she turns down the first man. Then, in bits and pieces, the author weaves in more serious issues such as politics in Kenya and the issue of AIDS. I enjoyed it.

Before that I read Attack of the Theater People by Marc Acito. It wasn't great literature or anything but just plain funny. It takes place in the 80's. Edward gets kicked out of Juliard and doesn't know what to do with his life. He stumbles into various jobs and ends up being a spy for an insider trader, except he has no idea what insider trading is or that it's illegal. Hilarity ensues,

A few days ago I tried to read Last Post by Robert Barnard. The back of the jacket lists all of the mystery writing awards he's won or has been nominated for. I couldn't get past a few chapters before I put it down and ranted to my husband about how awful it was. I don't know if I'm missing something or what. All of the dialogue was stilted. The author is British and I thought maybe that's really how they speak in his area of Britain (can't remember where). But all the dialogue is similar. Everyone speaks the same. Aside from that the main character discovers this mystery and, in talking about it, just takes huge leaping jumps to conclusions right away. And then things such as a man remembering details such as what days of the week a friend's husband worked 30 years earlier. What finally made me drop the book was when the main character meets a man who is going to help her with a small mystery. Within one page, we're reading hints at her wanting him. One page! No chemistry to speak of, nothing established. Just one meeting in story time, one page in the book and we're getting hints that she is thinking of how they might have a relationship. I thought I was misreading something when I first read that. About a page (and one day) later and she's talking to him about his unhappy marriage and recommending to this man who is practically a stranger that he send his wife and baby back to India since they're not happy. I finally just flipped to the last chapter to find out what happened. Among other things yes, the man she met left his wife and baby and hooked up with the main character. Weird book.
#144 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post

I haven't read it yet, but did you know that she has a new one out (came out in November)?

It's called The Private Patient, and the reviews seem pretty good. It's another Adam Dalgliesh though, so not a departure like Children of Men.
#145 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
I haven't read it yet, but did you know that she has a new one out (came out in November)?

It's called The Private Patient, and the reviews seem pretty good. It's another Adam Dalgliesh though, so not a departure like Children of Men.
I didnt know, thanks for the heads up
#146 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
Why would you want to do that?! I am in awe of how fast you read, and a bit jealous too!
Just to see what life would be like if I didn't read so much, or to see if the kitchen would be cleaner, or I'd spend more time in quiet reflection..... or somethin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
143 times? Did you actually keep count??
maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post

This is actually what started me reading the Adam Dalgliesh ones -- cause Private Patient is on my Amazon recs, and heaven forbid I read a series out of order...
#147 of 365 Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 PM

4. In the Land of Second Chances (George Shaffner) It was OK. I expected to like it better as Kirkus Reviews used terms like "quirky charm" and "feminist slant". Readable, but just OK.

5. Blackberry Wine (Joanne Harris) As recommended on this thread. I really enjoyed this book, especially how it all came together at the end.

6. Life As We Knew It (Susan Beth Pfeffer) A popular one on this thread. I could not put it down, and read for much of the night last night. She captured the teenage voice so well I thought I was a teenager as I was finally going to sleep. Gripping and engrossing, and very readable. I really loved this book. Thanks to everyone who recommended it.
#148 of 365 Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 AM

#7 Death of an Expert Witness by P.D. James
Yep, I'm still enjoying these.
#149 of 365 Old 01-13-2009, 03:44 AM

# 7- Sense and Sensibility- Jane Austen

Just started this last night. I'm loving it so much. It's one of my favorite stories (I also love the Ang Lee, Emma Thompson adaptation)

(I'm not counting this, even though we can, but DH is almost finished reading us Despereaux. Good lord, that book is SAD!)
#150 of 365 Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 AM

Who asked about PDJames? She is one of my favorite writers. Cuz even though it's "just" mystery fiction, it is incredibly well-written. I always learn something from her books. However, I did read on recently that was not as well-written as the rest of Adam Dalgliesh series and of course, I can't remember the title...I think it was Death of an Expert Witness.

Try Death in the Holy Orders or A Certain Justice or Devices and Desires. Those are my three favorites.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page