Janaury 2009 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 365 Old 01-01-2009, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, here we are with a clean slate. It's a New Year and so, in that spirit, let's set a resolution for the book challenge threads this year: THAT WE WILL ALL HAVE THE MOST FUN WITH BOOKS POSSIBLE!

Now, repeat after me...

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), new and improved guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

So, with that, avante and a happy reading January to everyone!

As for myself, I hit my goal of 100 in 2008, so I think I'm going to up it just a little to 105 (never good to overreach oneself) for 2009.

2008's Threads can be found HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 365 Old 01-01-2009, 03:36 PM

My goal is to read the library books I have and then not check out any more until I finish the unread books on my own bookshelves.

Last night, I finished The Careful Use of Compliments by Alexander McCall Smith. I am not enjoying the Isabel Dalhousie series as much as the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. But I like his style of writing. It's simple and easy to read and a nice break from longer, more involved books.

This morning, I started Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman.

Do non-fiction books count? I read a lot of non-fiction.

However, most of the books on my bookshelf are fiction cuz DH likes that best and he's the one who tends to purchase books rather than borrow from the library.
#3 of 365 Old 01-01-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
Do non-fiction books count? I read a lot of non-fiction.
Nonfiction, fiction, audiobooks, children's books, young adult books, it all counts.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#4 of 365 Old 01-01-2009, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Finished this book this morning . . . .

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain

This was about a detective who chased a serial killer for 10 years, only to become one of his victims. She ended up letting him live, but continues to torture him in other ways. He is called back to work when another serial killer begins snatching teenage girls.

Man, Cain has a seriously twisted imagination. I had to put this book down several times it got so gruesome. But still, I had to finish it because it was so good. For those of you who read Confessions of a Teenage Sleuth, this is much different. Very, very scary--especially to think someone like that might be out there.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#5 of 365 Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 PM

I will join! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read! I have been known to remove furniture in my room/house for MORE bookshelf space! :

Right now, I am reading Desperate Housewives, Passionate for God. Only a few chapters into it. SO far, so good.

Also, I am half-way through Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. No mind to the fact I STARTED it last March!

My Goal: 72 Books

Mrs B
#6 of 365 Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM

I'm so happy to see this thread!!! I started last year in February I think but I just didn't keep up and then the last few months I've been reading a ton so I think it's time to jump back on the wagon so to speak. I'm going to set a goal of reading 40 books this year. I'd like to read more non-fiction but really any reading is good for you in my book.

I'm making up a list for the library right now actually, can't wait to go tomorrow. I'm finishing the Earthsea series by Ursula Le Guin and looking for some other stuff too. have to have something to help make these cold days go by :

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#7 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 02:04 PM

Started Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather. Still reading Eat to Live.
#8 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM

ill jump in with a very small goal...36 books..thats 3 books a month. im a slow reader and with 2 nurslings and small ones i hardly get time to read. when i lay down at night to read i usually pass out w/in 5 minutes.
right now im on book #5 of teh Southern Vampire Series
#9 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM

I'm joining this year! My goal for 2009 is 100. I go through reading spurts, sometimes I will devour many books in a week, other times I will go a month between books! I'm going to try to keep a steady flow going this year.

I finished 2 books yesterday, I don't think they need a synopsis as they're both pretty known books!

#1: Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer
#2: Marley and Me by John Grogan
#10 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 PM

My goal this year will be 25 books. I think I will be a little busier this year with a half acre garden.

#1 Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#11 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris (author of Chocolat)

This book was quite a change from the last three suspenseful books--and I needed the break I guess. It's about an unhappy writer who can't seem to write another serious work since a book he wrote 10 years ago. He returns to a place in France near where he spent summers as a child and is able to write again. Like Chocolat, there's a touch of mystical.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#12 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 04:08 PM

Happy New Year everyone! :

I'm going to set my goal, and since my goal last year was 75 books, but I only got to 49 books, I think I will set my goal at 52 books this year, one book a week. I was so close last year! Having a baby in February may have put a tiny damper on my reading efficiency, plus a few book club books that I just could not get into slowed me down.

I like the idea of finishing all my library books and then trying to tackle the pile of books I own or have borrowed from friends. I've got a tall pile next to the bed that needs to get some work done to it!

Off to finish my 4 current books:

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery
Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher
How To Be a Famous Writer by Ariel Gore
#13 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Added this to my reading list!
#14 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

This book was quite a change from the last three suspenseful books--and I needed the break I guess. It's about an unhappy writer who can't seem to write another serious work since a book he wrote 10 years ago. He returns to a place in France near where he spent summers as a child and is able to write again. Like Chocolat, there's a touch of mystical.
I love Joanne Harris. This was my 2nd to last read of 2008. So good. I can't wait to read another one of her books.
#15 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 07:20 PM

My goal for this year is just to keep reading, and not get totally drowned between the office and home - making time for myself isn't my strong suit!

#1 - The Film Club by David Gilmour

When his son is a teenager, David Gilmour notices how much he dislikes school, and how it's driving a wedge between them. On the spur of the moment, he offers to Jesse that he can 'drop out' on condition that he watch three movies a week with his dad, to be chosen by his dad. Gilmour's book intersperses musings about the films he chose for their 'film club' with the story of those three years with his son, through Jesse's teenage breakups, Gilmour worrying about his son's future without a high school education (will he drive a cab? be a pothead?), and his son's run-ins with drugs.

This was a good, thought-provoking read, very bittersweet. The film stuff was interesting, but what really kept me reading was the father-son relationship. As the mom of a 7 year old girl, I couldn't imagine how I'd deal with a teenage son telling me he did a lot of cocaine at a party the night before (and I sure wouldn't have the know-how Gilmour seems to about the effect it would have!)...eek.

I also enjoyed reading about Gilmour's unconventional family structure - for a while he and his ex-wife switched houses so he could live with his son in her bigger house, and at one point he and the ex-wife and his son go on a holiday to Cuba while his present wife, who has a regular job, stays in the ex-wife's house.
#16 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 11:27 PM

My goals is to read 20 books. I'm pretty busy with a ft job, ft school, and family. I'll be happy if I can read one book per month that's not required. Although I've got into the habit of reading instead of watching TV. So I've been burning thru the books at rapid speed. Once it's nice outside though I'll be outside.

So I finished #1-The Evil Men Do. Would tell you who it was by but I already took it to the halfpriced book store. Roy Hazelwood was the secondary author. This one is non-fiction. A compilation of cases investigated by Real-life FBI behavioral analysts. Not a book for the faint of heart but interesting.

My sister recommended "Dead by Sunset" by Ann Rule, so that will be #2.

#3 is supposed to be Twilight and dh had BETTER come home from work Monday with dd's copy that he loaned out to a coworker. :
#17 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 PM

I found my copy of The Kite Runner a few days ago and finished it yesterday . I can honestly say that this book was hands down one of the best books I have read in I don't know how long. It made me take a deep look at myself about prejudices that I didn't even realize that I had, reevaulate my stance on a lot of subjects, and the biggest is that I finally reached out to my Afghan neighbors that I knew nothing about until this afternoon. I stopped by with some fresh bananna bread, and was warmly invited in by my neighbors. So, yeah, I loved it.

I just picked up A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini today.

My goal for this year is 24 books.

#1 The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
#18 of 365 Old 01-02-2009, 11:47 PM

I just started The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, so that will be my first book of the new year. My reading will probably slack off since I'm going to have a baby any day now, but we'll see. Next on my list is Cost by Roxana Robinson, if I can get my library to buy it. And I still have to finish the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel, even though I wasn't thrilled by the second installment (Valley of Horses - might as well read a Harlequin romance). But I'll give the next one a shot.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#19 of 365 Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 AM

I'm beginning with 50 books, but that may increase. Since October I've been getting true crime books.
I just finished:
The Cases That Haunt Us by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker
and I'm currently reading:
Zodiac by Robert Graysmith

the next books in my list are:
Death of Innocence by John and Patsy Ramsey
Black Dahlia Files by Don Wolfe
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Alee, mamma to Leon (2) and expecting #2 May '10 :
#20 of 365 Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 AM

1. The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit

Quote:
One summer day in a lovely country garden, Gerald, Jimmy and Kathleen come face to face with the wonderful world of magic that at some time or another exists as reality in every child's mind. An enchanted castle... an old silver ring with a power to grant all wishes... a sleeping princess awakened after a hundred years... time-mellowed statues that dance off their pedestals to swim in a garden lake when the moon is full... scarecrow figures that suddenly become alive... these and many more thrilling adventures descend on the three children like a wondrous shower of stars from a strange sorcerer's wand.
#21 of 365 Old 01-03-2009, 06:01 AM

I want to read the books I got for Christmas! In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, Nourishing Traditions, Made from Scratch by Jenna Woginrich, and Preserving the Harvest (see a theme here?!):
#22 of 365 Old 01-03-2009, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Last year, I just barely reached my goal of 24 books. I think I'll aim for 25 this year. I'm reading Oliver Twist right now.
#23 of 365 Old 01-03-2009, 05:15 PM

Despite not having reached my 50 book goal for the last several years, I'm sticking with it!

#1 Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

Quote:
Branching out from the traditional casseroles and stews so popular in the early days of the slow cooker, she tackles appetizers, soups and desserts as well, using the appliance with great effect to produce vegetable stocks as well as flavorful offerings like the Indian-inspired Curried Cauliflower Soup with Chutney and Cashews as well as Asian-influenced Hot and Sour Soup. The fundamental chilis and stews are not forgotten, but beans and grains so essential to the vegetarian diet put the slow cooker to best use. Pastas and vegetables nicely round out the book.
Moosewood Restaurant New Classics

Quote:
offers hundreds of mostly homey recipes. Some of the recipes are vegan or can be made so; there are also a handful of fish dishes. As in the other books, the influences of a variety of cuisines are evident in dishes such as Israeli Za'atar Salad, Pan American Grits, and Vegetable Pho with Shrimp. Jeanne Lemlin's Vegetarian Classics (LJ 4/15/01) offers more sophisticated recipes, but Moosewood's books are always popular.

This will likely be a go-to cookbook during CSA season, next to From Asparagus to Zucchini

The Autobiography of God, Lester

Quote:
Was God at Auschwitz? Whose side is God on? The child of Holocaust survivors, Rebecca is both rabbi and therapist, and she knows that God is not all powerful, all good, or always right. When her congregation at a Vermont college acquires a Torah salvaged from a Polish community that was liquidated by the Nazis, the dead Jews talk to her, and a black Jewish angel brings her God's autobiography. She reads it, the first ever to do so, and when God visits her, she is shocked to discover his identity and his desperate need.
I expected this to be a murder mystery with a female rabbi as a protagonist, and that wasn't it at all. It did present an interesting perspective of G-d, and I've been thinking about it a lot.

The Ghost Orchid, Goodman

Quote:
Ellis Brooks has been accepted to Bosco primarily because her first novel is to be a fictional account of the mansion's mysterious past; while there will be no deaths during her stay, there's spookiness aplenty, as well as several 1893 murders still begging resolution. Goodman's narrative alternates between Ellis's first-person present and 1893. Coincidentally—or not—two of Bosco's other guests are also working on projects related to the mansion. But they turn out to be little more than convenient accessories as Ellis, the daughter of a psychic (and possessor of certain powers of her own), unlocks clue after mystical clue to secrets long buried by the mansion's original owners.
I loved this one - it was spooky, atmospheric, and fast moving.

#1 Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, #2 Moosewood Restaurant New Classics, #3 Autobiography of God, #4 The Ghost Orchid
#24 of 365 Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 PM

No goal, just fun.

I'm at the end of Clapton the Autobiography by Eric Clapton. It's ok, not anywhere near as good as The Heroin Diaries was. I enjoyed it though.

Still finishing up The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova because I distracted with some other books I do love the book though.
#25 of 365 Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 PM

finished Death Comes for the Archbishop. LOVE LOVE LOVE Willa Cather's writing. And this book is doubly beautiful to me because it's about where I've just moved: New Mexico. It's about a young French priest who is given the newly American territory of New Mexico as his bishopric (That can't be the right word...it looks weird. What is the correct term here?). The "natives" of the area are Native American tribes and Mexicans who don't consider themselves American. This man and his Vicar, a childhood friend coincidentally, use their gentle spirits to spread their faith and help the people they encounter. It's full of amazing characters and is quite a nice little book. But then again, I'm partial to her writing style.

(Just as an aside, you don't have to be religious to enjoy this book. I'm an atheist )
#26 of 365 Old 01-03-2009, 10:17 PM

1. One Foot In the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 2) - Jeaniene Frost
Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy - Little blurb:
Quote:
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.
Loved it! I love love love this series. The first was good, but this installment was so much better. I'm in love with Cat and Bones's relationship - they are such a good couple. The further development of the team member friendships is very welcome - they are such good guys, and Cat needed to be less of a loner. I loved the vampire politics and the further exploration of the ghouls - the world is getting more fleshed out and it's great and intriguing. I laughed out loud numerous times, which is always welcome. I can't wait to read the third installment!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#27 of 365 Old 01-03-2009, 10:52 PM

i was ambitious last year, considering my obligations, and went for 52.
how about 26? of course, if i count in all of the picture books i read to dd, well, that might bring me to 104 last year!

1. Animal, vegetable, miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. i received a copy as a gift and this is a 2nd read for me. if you have any interest in where your food comes from, or how you can lessen your impact on the earth, this is fantastic. plus, Kingsolver is just a great writer.

it was lovely to have a record of my reading from last year, tho busyness kept me from posting the last couple. glad to be back.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#28 of 365 Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

#1 The King in Yellow
by Robert W. Chambers

My review of The King in Yellow can be found HERE

#1 The King in Yellow

#29 of 365 Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post
Despite not having reached my 50 book goal for the last several years, I'm sticking with it!

#1 Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

The Autobiography of God, Lester

I expected this to be a murder mystery with a female rabbi as a protagonist, and that wasn't it at all. It did present an interesting perspective of G-d, and I've been thinking about it a lot.
These both sound really interesting to me. Lots of slow-cooker books are meat-focused. Thanks for the titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
finished Death Comes for the Archbishop. LOVE LOVE LOVE Willa Cather's writing. And this book is doubly beautiful to me because it's about where I've just moved: New Mexico. It's about a young French priest who is given the newly American territory of New Mexico as his bishopric (That can't be the right word...it looks weird. What is the correct term here?). The "natives" of the area are Native American tribes and Mexicans who don't consider themselves American. This man and his Vicar, a childhood friend coincidentally, use their gentle spirits to spread their faith and help the people they encounter. It's full of amazing characters and is quite a nice little book. But then again, I'm partial to her writing style.

(Just as an aside, you don't have to be religious to enjoy this book. I'm an atheist )
She wrote about Catholics in Canada in the 1700s. I don't remember the title, but it was a wonderful book, full of great historical reality as well as a good story. I think I'll check this one out. Thanks for the tip about not having to be religious - I hope it doesn't put down the non-Christian faiths though.
#30 of 365 Old 01-04-2009, 01:35 PM

Dancianna, I'll look that up! I love her books. Her characters are full and rich and she is so very descriptive yet doesn't use flowery language.

So I started my number 3 book last night: Naked Pictures of Famous People-Jon Stewart. DH bought it for me at a used book store recently. It's okay. Not as hilariously funny as I thought. And it's not because it's dry humor because I like that and expect it from Stewart. I just had an idea that it would be funnier.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page