Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait, there is a thread on here for WoW? WHY WAS I NOT TOLD lol

Charolais 80 Druid (H) - Dragonmaw
Oshiri 71 Paladin " "
Cantharidin 58 Death Knight " "
Caleanon 54 Hunter " "
Munkustrap 24 Mage " "

My mage is in love with alicewyf's priest <3

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

#62 of 580 Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
So I complained to my guild, my husband and my friend, but I'll complain here too. I did Utgarde Pinnacle. I was the pally healer. The tank was a pally. We also had a balance druid (who is in my guild), a warlock, and a warrior, I think--I can't quite remember. We were doing the quests, most of us, so we had to pick stuff up in the instance. I was stopping to drink, and the pally kept running on ahead and attacking stuff. I was all annoyed because of how he just kept charging right in, prematurely, then almost dying. The druid started complaining about how sloooooooooooow he was. Whatever, my guildie was probably trying to complain about me, but the tank would almost die before I got up to heal him, and then I'd have to holy shock and heal the others who were taking damage.

Anyway, when we got to the end (after wiping just twice), a healing shield dropped. I was going to roll need, but then the tank said he was rolling need because it had more block and armor than his current shield. I felt sorry for him, so I passed. But geez, after thinking about it, I was annoyed. I started to wonder if he was really specced prot because of how he would almost die in a fight before I got there, and I had to heal him constantly. So I looked him up on the armory, and he was prot, but his gear was not great. He had Scourgebane, the +15 stamina trinket that pallies get early on, he had the Libram of Wracking, which increases the spellpower of exorcism and holy wrath by 120, and Horn of Argent Fury trinket which has the chance to chastise the enemy for 1024 to 1536 holy damage. We were in Pinnacle, which as far as I know has only a few undead. His defense was only 430, 30 more than mine. Sheesh, no wonder!

ETA: not that I'm that great either.
Wow yucky. Never pass loot to someone if it's something they'll discard as soon as they can, while it's a real upgrade to you.

I tank a lot and I pull as fast as I can. But that "as fast as I can" has the caveat that the healer is on board and comfortable with the pace. If I run ahead of the healer, pull some stuff, and then slowly die with no heals, I take it as a sign that the healer would like me to slow down. In general, I just watch how much mana the healer uses on trash fights and make sure we're going at a pace they can match.

I don't have much patience for healers that need to drink to full before every trash fight, though. That would annoy me. But drinking so that you have sufficient mana to easily heal the trash fight is necessary. Healers have to watch everyone's green bar. It ain't hard for me to watch one person's blue bar.

You have all the cards in a situation like this, you should use them. Let that guy run ahead of you and actually die. Not almost die. There's a healer shortage, not a terribad tank shortage. Lots and lots of terribad "tanks" out there. Which he wasn't in any case, if he wasn't uncrittable.

Dad to DD 9/2008
#63 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 01:57 AM

My husband wants to make my 15mo a murloc for halloween.

Then he starts in about us ALL making WoW costumes... that's just a little farther past the 'nerd' line than I wanna go!

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#64 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 02:05 AM

Viola - That'd irritate me too. I've passed on some serious gear that I probably shouldn't have because I "played nice"...

We did "The Battle For Undercity" tonight... omg. It was rad.

Dynamicdoula - That's awesome. I went as a questgiver last Halloween and this past one. I have a big yellow exclaimation point on a headband that I made 2 years ago. lol

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#65 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plunky View Post
I don't have much patience for healers that need to drink to full before every trash fight, though. That would annoy me.
There is still a tank shortage on my server. Seem to be enough healers. I thought the xpac would change that, but not really yet.

Part of him almost dying wasn't that I was drinking, it was that I had been drinking, and then was looting quest objects while the others ran ahead. I don't need to drink after every fight, and I normally don't bother, but every fight was a big deal here, so I would replenish after a couple of pulls. And normally if I want to top off for the hell of it, I can, it's no big deal, the tank can start the fight and I can still keep replenishing until I have to heal. There was no such luck here, it was like pull, lose a quarter to half his health in two seconds.

The dumb thing is, he gave up a shield that had more stamina and plus defense for one that has no defense. And he's equipped it and seems to be using it, I checked him out on the armory once or twice. He was a nice guy, but I think I will look at defense and that kind of thing.

So is 975 for a wispcloak a decent price?
#66 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
There are at least two tailors in my guild who can craft it.

If buying/gathering the mats is cheaper for you (which I believe probably should be, I got the mats for mine cheap enough that I don't remember paying attention to the price), I can certainly hook you up with one of them.

I'm sure neither of them would charge or ask for anything but imo, a 25g to 40g crafting fee is appropriate for an epic crafted by a "stranger".
#67 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks, that's so kind of you, but this is on my non-PM server. The prices are so different. I bet I can get the mats for cheaper, if there is anyone in my guild who can craft it.

I'm usually really cheap, but sometimes I spend a lot of money because then I seem to earn it better afterwards. I bought Haris Pilton's Gigantique Sack the other day, just for the achievement, and I haven't recovered from that hit yet.
#68 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I bought Haris Pilton's Gigantique Sack the other day, just for the achievement, and I haven't recovered from that hit yet.

I bought it too right before WotLK came out. It was mostly for the achievement but I've enjoyed lvl'ing with the extra bag space!
#69 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
There is still a tank shortage on my server. Seem to be enough healers. I thought the xpac would change that, but not really yet.

Part of him almost dying wasn't that I was drinking, it was that I had been drinking, and then was looting quest objects while the others ran ahead. I don't need to drink after every fight, and I normally don't bother, but every fight was a big deal here, so I would replenish after a couple of pulls. And normally if I want to top off for the hell of it, I can, it's no big deal, the tank can start the fight and I can still keep replenishing until I have to heal. There was no such luck here, it was like pull, lose a quarter to half his health in two seconds.

The dumb thing is, he gave up a shield that had more stamina and plus defense for one that has no defense. And he's equipped it and seems to be using it, I checked him out on the armory once or twice. He was a nice guy, but I think I will look at defense and that kind of thing.

Nodnod, I was more explaining what a proper tank's thought process on pulling should be, than saying you were playing improperly. I feel your pain on healing tanks that aren't really tanks. I've been levelling up my shaman with the idea to make him resto at 80, and I have encountered some doozies. 9k hps DK, not specced tank was the worst (in reg nexus). He had the moves, because his old main was a warrior tank, but I just couldn't keep him up. Finding a global cooldown to drop totems was hard.

If you're healing heroics, check that the tank is a) uncrittable and b) something like 22k hps unbuffed (30k in bear form). For bears, they should have around 30% dodge also, they're uncrittable from talents.

Dad to DD 9/2008
#70 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM

I'm so freaking sick of tanks that chain pull then you are drinking. Sometimes I just let their stupid asses die. :
#71 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Alright, I downloaded recount and can see how much damage I'm doing in fights and what my average DPS is. Pretty nice! Now, is it listed anywhere what the average DPS *should* be based on spec and level? I can see what I'm doing, but I still don't know if it's a good number or not.
#72 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
Alright, I downloaded recount and can see how much damage I'm doing in fights and what my average DPS is. Pretty nice! Now, is it listed anywhere what the average DPS *should* be based on spec and level? I can see what I'm doing, but I still don't know if it's a good number or not.
As far as I know, no such resource exists. And it will depend on group composition, etc. At 80, there are benchmarks, before that, not so much. In general, try to beat the tank as a bare minimum.

Dad to DD 9/2008
#73 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I'm so freaking sick of tanks that chain pull then you are drinking. Sometimes I just let their stupid asses die. :
!

I condone this sort of behavior. If, after this happens, and I slow down...you drink excessively, or not immediately after pulls, however, I will not PUG with that healer in the future. You do not need 100% mana for every pull (unless the tank sucks, which I don't). My rule of thumb to watch for is 50% healer mana for trash.

I don't wait for DPS mana except on bosses. Man I hate when people say "oom" or "mana". The only people who should be saying that are healers _during_ combat. Then it's useful. If a mage after combat says "oom", I think to myself: "so drink!". Worst case is I keep pulling while they're drinking and get more threat front loaded until they start the pewpew.

I PUG a lot, can you tell?

Dad to DD 9/2008
#74 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
!

I condone this sort of behavior. If, after this happens, and I slow down...you drink excessively, or not immediately after pulls, however, I will not PUG with that healer in the future. You do not need 100% mana for every pull (unless the tank sucks, which I don't). My rule of thumb to watch for is 50% healer mana for trash.

I don't wait for DPS mana except on bosses. Man I hate when people say "oom" or "mana". The only people who should be saying that are healers _during_ combat. Then it's useful. If a mage after combat says "oom", I think to myself: "so drink!". Worst case is I keep pulling while they're drinking and get more threat front loaded until they start the pewpew.

i agree with ya, you really shouldnt need more than half mana to do a pack of trash and you can sip and run. waiting for everyone to be full all the time could make the dungeon take twice as long. yucko

(general you, not anyone on the thread in particular )
#75 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
give us your class, spec and in what context and i am sure someone could throw out some ballpark figures.
#76 of 580 Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicdoula View Post
My husband wants to make my 15mo a murloc for halloween.

Then he starts in about us ALL making WoW costumes... that's just a little farther past the 'nerd' line than I wanna go!
>.>

We've so talked about me dressing up as an undead or belf warlock, DH a felguard and DS an Imp

Among other WoW ideas as well as various sci-fi ish type costumes
#77 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I got my cloak. I bought the frozen orb and some eternal water, I had the infinite dust, frostweave and eternal life. The one thing I didn't have was the siren's tear, and there were none on the AH so I looked at where to get it. Then there was one on the AH, but it was 350 g. So I went out and farmed the clams, but by that time the gem was sold from the clam vendor. So I just logged off there, and set my alarm and checked every 15 minutes, and finally got it. yay.
#78 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by +stella+ View Post
give us your class, spec and in what context and i am sure someone could throw out some ballpark figures.
I'm a feral DPS druid. My armory. Um, and in the context of, uh, killing stuff? I'm not really sure what you mean.
#79 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
I'm a feral DPS druid. My armory. Um, and in the context of, uh, killing stuff? I'm not really sure what you mean.
like raid, 5 man instance, or soloing. raid will be highest, then 5 man, soloing is usually lowest cause stuff dies too fast to get a real idea of your dps. you are limited by their low hp.

i asked a buddy of mine who likes to follow the dps stuff and hes guessing it should be about 1200 over the course of a 5 man instance. but he was just guestimating. maybe someone else who plays a feral druid will have a better idea, i was always resto.
#80 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just started playing and am so lost!
I can't keep track of everything yet.
I just duelled with someone, and won, but have no idea how, or even what i did, and all these things kept popping up and I couldn't even see. :
So overwhelming ... but I can see the appeal.

I am just in the basic WOW with a tauren hunter.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#81 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
like raid, 5 man instance, or soloing. raid will be highest, then 5 man, soloing is usually lowest cause stuff dies too fast to get a real idea of your dps. you are limited by their low hp.

i asked a buddy of mine who likes to follow the dps stuff and hes guessing it should be about 1200 over the course of a 5 man instance. but he was just guestimating. maybe someone else who plays a feral druid will have a better idea, i was always resto.
Ahh, gotcha. Currently I'm basically just soloing. I rarely have enough time to do instances anymore. When I have more time it'll be soloing and 5 man instances. Eventually we'll probably be raiding, but a lot of my guild is still leveling to 80, so we're not ready yet.
#82 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
!

ITA with all of that. I'm lucky that I never pug and the tanks I play with vary from good to awesome.

As a priest, I use regen instead of spellpower type trinkets so I'll trinket and inner fire and try to stay out of the 5sr until I'm at full mana instead of drinking between pulls. Allows the tank to keep going. Even if I'm near oom when we get to a boss, I normally tell the tank to go ahead and get started and send my shadowfiend at the boss, it's always enough.

The one bear tank in my guild just innervates me everytime it looks like I need to drink so he can just keep pulling. I love it.

And thank god the pally tanks no longer need to drink between each pull. They were so slow before the expansion!

Speaking of thanking god, I got the mod ThankGod from Curse and it tells you verbally (there is also a graphic but I turned it off, voice is enough imo) everytime you get a clearcast or Surge of Light proc. The voice is nice enough that it doesn't get annoying. Awesome mod for priests. I think it also works for holy paladins. I really recommend it, I had no idea I was critting that often and must have wasted so much mana no managing those procs well.
#83 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
I just started playing and am so lost!
I can't keep track of everything yet.
I just duelled with someone, and won, but have no idea how, or even what i did, and all these things kept popping up and I couldn't even see. :
So overwhelming ... but I can see the appeal.

I am just in the basic WOW with a tauren hunter.
Just do quests and follow the story.

You'll eventually get dungeon quests for which you'll have to find a group to complete (not sure at what level on the horde side but it starts near lvl 18 for alliance). And I really recommend doing most/all the dungeons while you level. They're lots of fun and teach you how to use your character in a group setting. As a hunter, you'll learn to be very mindful of where and what your pet is doing.

You can learn alot from wowwiki.com and www.wowhead.com can help if you're stuck trying to complete a quest.
#84 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:

1200 is a bit high, IMHO for the asker...as she's 73 and in blues/greens. My main is a feral, although I'm more tanky than cat. I have a hybrid spec so I can solo though: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rygos&n=Beable. When I hit 80, gemmed properly, with leg armor, and so on, I was doing about 1100 in heroics if I went as kitty, but my spec and glyphs were not really correct for kitty. I do about 1400 soloing now with that same problem, but heroic gear. I think I'd do more like 2k with the proper glyphs/specs. Ferals are somewhat gimped in five mans because stuff dies too fast with all the AOE going on. On bosses she should be doing better.

In the Nexus/UK runs that I'm doing with my alts it seems like "decent" DPS does about 800, and excellent DKs/AOE'ers/hunters do more like 1200.

There are some really good feral resources out there. The wowthinktank blog is excellent. And of course the Elitist Jerks portion on ferals. What is your attack cycle in instances? We don't really have a rotation any more, it's like a queue to keep Savage Roar (which you may not have at 73) and all our bleeds going.

Your spec is not maximized for DPS, which may be what you want. Feral Instinct is a bear talent, and as you have zero points in Protector of the Pack, you should just not even pretend you're a bear. Shredding Attacks should be maxed (huge dps boost here in instances). Nurturing Instinct should be dropped. I would go full on feral for Rend and Tear + Berserking before I went past Omen in Resto.

Edit-Just messing around, I came up with this spec as a "pure" kitty spec at 73: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000

There are two free points to put wherever.

Dad to DD 9/2008
#85 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM

I like that spec better than the one that was suggested to me on the WoW forums. I think I'll give it a try.

As for my *rotation* I try to start off with shred (but I can't always get behind them), and then feral fairie fire, keep mangle and rake up, and finish off with either rip or ferocious bite. Things do die pretty quickly.
#86 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
and all these things kept popping up and I couldn't even see. :
The settings for the combat displays can be adjusted to your personal preference through the user interface.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#87 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 PM

two things...

an 8 hour maintainance and a rolling restart and now its down again because they need to do "urgent maintainance"... and they even closed down the forums (that or ppl are just PO'ed like me and crashed it)

and I no longer have the mage... its a 31 orc lock now, Eagletalon (and no I didnt know that there was an NPC with that name or I wouldnt have used it) ... and Im on blood furnace.. I have other insignificant ones.. but thats my main

please blizz... I need my wow fix :|

Crys - mom to DS, C (6/04) expecting twins 2/23/13 joy.gif

#88 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 PM

hey amy, sorry if i shot high, that was coming from someone assuming tbc raiding stuff rather than wrath leveling stuff, i saw your armory but he didnt.

anyway, saw this today and thought you might like it. http://www.resto4life.com/2009/01/09...rip-some-face/

since we were on the topic.
#89 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Ok, who blew up the authentication server?

:
#90 of 580 Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 PM

I just got Ambassador of the Horde and my Albino drake on my paladin... *flaunts her stupid achievements*

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page