Hunger Games - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started reading it, and it seems very fascinating. Anyone else? (no open spoilers please )

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 02:11 AM

I checked it out over the holidays but had to return it since I didn't have time to read it. It looks great! Let me know how you like it! I just put the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series on hold too! I'm trying to balance reading and scrapbooking right now but reading is winning out!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

It is fascinating. If you checked it out because of recommendation from Meyer, then don't expect for it to be anything like her books. But it IS really good, an is well written! I usually don't read futuristic fantasy, and the themes are a bit heavy (especially for someone who was born in the USSR), but it is a great mix of political oppression, fantasy, adventure and relationships.

It's something between 1984 and The Giver (well, so far anyway heh). It is hard to put down, really draws you in. It is much easier to read than 1984, yet a lot more thought out than The Giver.

P.S. If I taught High School, I would read this with my kids along with 1984.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Finished it and love it. The sequel comes out in 2010. :
Too long to wait!!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Finished it and love it. The sequel comes out in 2010. :
Too long to wait!!
I might wait awhile then! I hate having to wait so long for sequels! I'm too impatient!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 PM

I read it about a month ago and loved it. I was a bit upset with the ending. I did not like how the main character (I've forgotten her name) handled herself. But I'm sure it will get worked out in the next book. I wish it was coming out sooner.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieB View Post
I read it about a month ago and loved it. I was a bit upset with the ending. I did not like how the main character (I've forgotten her name) handled herself. But I'm sure it will get worked out in the next book. I wish it was coming out sooner.
I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending either, and I hope for the next book to bring about some resolution. I worry that it won't be the resolution I'm rooting for.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 PM

I finally finished this!! It's amazing!!! I loved it! Very much a cliff hanger though! The next book comes out in Sept 2009 with the last book coming out in 2010. If you google the wikipedia page for The Hunger Games it takes you to the 2nd books page and gives a brief idea of what the next one will be about!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 PM

The sequel to The Hunger Games is out. I had it pre-ordered from Amazon...I thought it didn't come out til later this month, but here it is! I'm so excited. I absolutely loved the first book, I'm hoping the second is good as well.

Anyone else looking forward to Catching Fire??

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

I can't wait.
I absolutely cannot afford to buy it right now, and I'm sure that the library has 1000 holds on this title. That's okay, I'm telling myself when I finish reading my other books, I'll be just on time for Catching Fire.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

I read it and thought it was very good. One of my new students is starting the sequel and I am looking forward to finding out what happens next. EW totally promoted the first, then said the second isn't as good, but I think anyone who was into the first is going to want to find out what happens!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM

I'm over halfway into the 2nd book and love it! It's just as good as the first, IMO. I'm glad I didn't take Entertainment Weekly's review to heart. haha

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 AM

I just finished Catching Fire yesterday (Sunday). I bought it on Saturday. I could have easily read the entire thing on Saturday, but I kept putting it down on purpose, so I could savor it a little longer.

It really is just as good as the first. I laughed and I cried. A marvelous read.

I'm trying to get DH to read the Hunger Games so that I can talk to someone about these books. A good friend read Hunger Games, but didn't like it so much. (She's big into more "chick lit" stuff, fantasy/scifi isn't her thing.) So I'm DYING to discuss it.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 PM

Just finished it. Great book! I really don't want to have to wait til sometime in 2010 for the 3rd book. The cliffhanger at the end... :

Old 10-21-2009, 01:24 PM

I am about halfway through... good so far!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
It is fascinating. If you checked it out because of recommendation from Meyer, then don't expect for it to be anything like her books. But it IS really good, an is well written! I usually don't read futuristic fantasy, and the themes are a bit heavy (especially for someone who was born in the USSR), but it is a great mix of political oppression, fantasy, adventure and relationships.

It's something between 1984 and The Giver (well, so far anyway heh). It is hard to put down, really draws you in. It is much easier to read than 1984, yet a lot more thought out than The Giver.

P.S. If I taught High School, I would read this with my kids along with 1984.
I do teach high school- and a science fiction course specifically... I will probably be recommending this book for approval in my district... I just have to find the time to finish it first
Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 PM

I finished it last night and absolutely loved it. I can understand why Katniss was confused at the end. I wish we could post spoilers here, but I'm going to say she didn't have enough experience in that particular aspect of life to really understand what was going on. She's so guarded. Anyway, my husband is reading "Catching Fire" right now and I keep giving him dirty looks to hurry it up so I can read it next!

I'm assuming there's a third book? Or is this bigger than a trilogy? I'd better do a wiki...
Old 11-04-2009, 02:18 PM

It is a trilogy, but number 3 isn't out yet.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Catching Fire just came out. I worry about reading it, because I will not have the patience to wait for #3.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Pinoikoi- I'm a teacher too. Last year I had the opportunity to switch to 8th grade and teach a Sci-Fi lit. course. I was absolutely DYING to do it, but they had already decided on the books, and I wanted to be able to add/take out books over time, and the answer was no! ARGGHHH!

I would so love to teach the Hunger Games! I hope you get approval. What a great opportunity for your students.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:16 AM

nak
love these books!! can't wait for the next one!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalee2 View Post
Just finished it. Great book! I really don't want to have to wait til sometime in 2010 for the 3rd book. The cliffhanger at the end... :
I read both books and loved them. Now it's driving me crazy waiting for the third one.

User Tag List