Febraury 2009 Book Challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2009, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I"m too lazy to go back to the January thread to see what number I'm on (I think this will be 10?).

I finished Amanda Foreman's book The Duchess which is a biography of Georgiana Cavendish, the Duchess of Devonshire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
#2 - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

A parallel novel to Ender's Game, about one of the other kids from that book, Bean. It starts with Bean's life on the streets before going to Battle School, and ends up telling basically the same story as Ender's Game, but from Bean's point of view. (And reveals some new things about Bean.) I thought the first part was the most interesting, because it was a completely new story, but I liked all of it.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
For whatever reason it shows up regularly on the ALA's list of Most Frequently Challenged and Banned Books. (The link is HERE.)
Oh fun! I've read a bunch of those. And I love it when they have Banned Book Month at the library
Old 02-13-2009, 06:57 PM

10. I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone - Stephanie Kuehnert
YA - Emily Black lives in small-town Wisconsin, brought up by her music-loving father and the legends of her rebellious mother Louisa, who left when she was an infant to follow the punk music scene. This book is about Emily's own journey on the path of music, the boys that distract her from it, and her search for answers about her legendary - and absent - mother. Also told from the perspective of Louisa, this book weaves an amazing and emotional narrative of punk rock and the emotions we run from. Highly, highly recommended!

The only slight disappointment I had was how quickly it ended. There was a pretty emotional scene at the very end, and then boom, you're done. I kind of wish there had been a little bit more of the story, just a tiny bit of what happened next. It just goes to show you that I wasn't ready to let go of these characters. I wish I could hang out with Emily Black.

1. One Foot In the Grave - Jeaniene Frost 2. Shadow Kiss - Richelle Mead 3. Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooling Life - Rue Kream 4. Lord of Misrule (Morganville Vampires, Book 5) - Rachel Caine 5. Sunshine - Robin McKinley 6. Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) - Jim Butcher 7. Magic to the Bone - Devon Monk 8. Bone Crossed - Patricia Briggs 9. Impossible - Nancy Werlin 10. I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone - Stephanie Kuehnert

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM

#5 Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk

I picked this up after reading a review in this thread (or January's come to think of it). And, it was quite fun.

Urban fantasy with a PI type main character who is a woman. Throw in a little romance that isn't too cringe-inducing, and it's an enjoyable, light read. I'm excited about the next book that comes out in May.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
#2 - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
Orson Scott Card used to be my favorite author. Im not sure what has happened to him in the last few years but his books are simply annoying to me now (bad editing, doesnt even seem like the same writer. ).

anyway, the Ender Series begins with: Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind...followed by Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant and i *think* the last one is Ender in Exile.

I enjoyed all of those, and they are certainly his most popular but if you love Sci/Fi and/or Fantasy, his earlier works are awesome! if you woudl like any recommendations, let me know. i think i have read every book he wrote, before 2008 (when i started to become disenchanted by him).
Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 PM

January:
#1. The Hunger Games (Collins) *****
#2. Dead until Dark (Harris) ****

February:
#3. Stolen Innocence (Wall)****
#4. Until You (McNaught) ***

#5. Little House in the Big Woods (Wilder)*****

What an excellent book! I wish I read it when I was little. It reminds me so much of my time spent with my grandparents in a small Ukrainian village. The book is written so simply, yet the descriptions is so vivid! Nothing is happening, yet the life is right there before you.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 PM

For my word loving friends -- I think this is really cool.

http://www.wordle.net/create
Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Guardian Angels, Citro

This is the next book after Shadow Child regarding the Gentry, a fearsome group of prehistoric, leprechaun-like men that live in the northern woods of Vermont. Spooky and creepy, the story will keep you up wondering about the characters and the place. I've just started The Gore, which I think is the final installment.

#1 Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, #2 Moosewood Restaurant New Classics, #3 Autobiography of God, #4 The Ghost Orchid, #5 The Poe Shadow, #6 Knit One Kill Two, #7 Citizen Girl, #8 The Fourth Bear, #9 The Third Secret, #10 Change of Heart, #11 Guardian Angels
Old 02-14-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
I enjoyed all of those, and they are certainly his most popular but if you love Sci/Fi and/or Fantasy, his earlier works are awesome! if you woudl like any recommendations, let me know. i think i have read every book he wrote, before 2008 (when i started to become disenchanted by him).
Sure, which ones would you recommend?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:32 PM

A Thousand Splendid Sunsets.
Just finished this. I agree that its an excellent book and would definitely recommend it. However, it was very difficult for me to read at times. I have become very sensitive in my old age and this book definitely brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. That's not necessarily a bad thing, however. Few times books leave a lasting impression on me but I believe this one will...for many reasons, not the least of which is a greater appreciation for my life...simple pleasures that are so often taken for granted. I love books that stop me in my tracks and force me to face this realization and this one definitely did.
Whatever I read next will be lighthearted! lol! I think I will probably start on #7 of the Vampire Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
Sure, which ones would you recommend?
If you are into series, OSC has a few others out there that i enjoyed.
Alvin Prentice (the Maker series) was very interested to me. About the 7th son of a 7th son...Lots of American Indian lore, magic, etc. etc. I enjoyed the entire series; however DP says he couldnt get into them.

The Homecoming series was good also. BSG reminds me a bit of this, w/o the Cylons. The first of that series was The Memory of Earth

He also has a Women of Genesis series (Rachel, Sarah, and one more that i am forgetting). I LOVED LOVED LOVED those (i love reading about Rachel and Sarah though).

As far as stand alone books, the first book by OSC i ever picked up (on someone's coffee table while i was waiting for them to get dressed) was Pastwatch: the Redemption of Christopher Columbus...i LOVED it and it was the book that led me to other OSC books. Saints is a great historical fiction book about Mormons (i have a fascination with learning about other religions).

i obviously read these books over a few years! lol! i used to be an avid collector of his (down to the sci/fi mags w/ his pubs) but i have recently falled out of love with him. his older stuff, though, i find really good. i did like the Ender series but oftentimes i feel OSC's other books have been cheated by how popular Ender's Game became (there is also a huge controversy surrounding Ender's Game if you ever want to google that..another thing that left a bitter tastes in my mouth). Honestly, prior to 2006, i never read a book by OSC that i didnt like.

1. Club Dead, Charlaine Harris. #3 of the Southern Vampire Series.
2. Dead to the World #4 of the Southern Vampire Series.
3. Dead as a Doornail, book #5 of teh Southern Vampire Series.
4. Holidays on Ice, David Sedaris.
5. Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins.
6. Life as We Knew It
7. Definitely Dead #6 of the Southern Vampire Series.
8. A Thousand Splendid Sunsets
Old 02-15-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
...and this book definitely brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. That's not necessarily a bad thing, however. Few times books leave a lasting impression on me but I believe this one will...for many reasons, not the least of which is a greater appreciation for my life...simple pleasures that are so often taken for granted. I love books that stop me in my tracks and force me to face this realization and this one definitely did.
Yes yes yes... That is exactly how I felt when I read the book. Thank you for putting the words out there for me!

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 AM

#13 Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Category: Fiction, Young Adult
Rating: 4.5/5
Summary: High school senior Quentin can’t believe his luck when his crush Margo chooses him as her partner in crime in an elaborate all-nighter around town. But then she disappears, and he doesn’t know whether she’s just being Margo or if something bad actually happened.

Review: From the first page:

"Most of my friends were in the band, and most of my free time during school was spent within twenty feet of the band room. But I was not in the band, because I suffer from the kind of tone deafness that is generally associated with actual deafness."

That totally cracked me up, but maybe I just have an odd sense of humor. Here’s another one you can try on for size. Quentin is trying to convince himself to stay somewhere a little, um, rustic:

"I resolved right then to stay until morning. If Margo had slept here, I could, too. And thus commenced a brief conversation with myself.
Me: But the rats.
Me: Yeah, but they seem to stay in the ceiling.
Me: But the lizards.
Me: Oh, come on. You used to pull their tails off when you were little. You’re not scared of lizards.
Me: But the rats.
Me: Rats can’t really hurt you anyway. They’re more scared of you than you are of them.
Me: Okay, but what about the rats?
Me: Shut up."

But this book is more than funny. I loved exploring what happens when you put someone on a pedestal. I loved the adventure of the road trip. I loved learning about paper towns.

The only thing I didn’t love about this book—and it’s just the eensiest teensiest thing—is some of the dialogue at the end of the book revealing what happened to Margo. The dialogue felt a little too speech-y to me, but I also don’t know how that could be avoided given what we had to learn about at that stage of the story.

I look forward to reading more from this author. Plus, he’s on LibraryThing, which makes him even cooler in my book and therefore more likely to move up in my to-read list.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Old 02-15-2009, 07:14 PM

The Gore, Citro

Okay, I was terribly wrong about this being a sequel to the Shadow Child books. Unfortunately I began reading it with an eye towards those books, so it took me a bit to put that aside and realise it was a stand-alone novel. It follows a group of Vermonters - one sees something, maybe bigfoot? - in the woods, and then other townspeople get involved. Very creepy and lots of historical interest, despite it not being what I expected!

#1 Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, #2 Moosewood Restaurant New Classics, #3 Autobiography of God, #4 The Ghost Orchid, #5 The Poe Shadow, #6 Knit One Kill Two, #7 Citizen Girl, #8 The Fourth Bear, #9 The Third Secret, #10 Change of Heart, #11 Guardian Angels, #12 The Gore
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 PM

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella

Becky is just as self-absorbed and selfish as in the first book. I needed a quick, no-brain read and this fit the bill.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 02-16-2009, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I didn't manage to get as much reading done as I wuld have liked on my vacation at the beginning of the month. I did finish one that I had started long ago. I'm also a bit behind for my goal and with summer coming I'm sure I'll be slacking some more. I am kind of glad that I made my goal in the winter. If I made it in the summer it would only be for 10 books. haha

# 3 Bliss by O.Z. Livanell
I could not get into this book. It picked up near the end but that was it.

#4 Water for Elephants
This was an enjoyable story. Nice easy reading.

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (9 years old)
Old 02-16-2009, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
#13 Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Category: Fiction, Young Adult
Rating: 4.5/5

But this book is more than funny. I loved exploring what happens when you put someone on a pedestal. I loved the adventure of the road trip. I loved learning about paper towns.

The only thing I didn’t love about this book—and it’s just the eensiest teensiest thing—is some of the dialogue at the end of the book revealing what happened to Margo. The dialogue felt a little too speech-y to me, but I also don’t know how that could be avoided given what we had to learn about at that stage of the story.

I look forward to reading more from this author. Plus, he’s on LibraryThing, which makes him even cooler in my book and therefore more likely to move up in my to-read list.
Hm -- interesting. I am a huge fan of Greene's other books but I did not like this much. I'll be interested to hear your opinions of his other books.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 AM

Lucky Breaks by Susan Patron

This was the sequel to The Power of Lucky which won the Newbery Award last year. It's a sweet mid-grade novel about a girl about to turn 11. She finds her life and friends boring and tries to impress a girl she meets.

I'm reading In The Woods now . . . forgot who recommended this but am liking it.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 AM

#6 The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer

Very cute, light and fluffy....exactly what I needed after reading some emotionally heavy books.

January
1. The Kite Runner (Khaled Housseini)
2. A 1000 Splendid Suns (Khaled Housseini)
3. Sarah's Key (Tatiani De Rosnay)
4. Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall with Lisa Pulitzer

February
5. Change Of Heart (Jodi Picoult)
6. The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer
Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM

6. We Interrupt This Broadcast
7. Take Back Your Marriage
8. How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 PM

#17 - East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Thank God for a long weekend cause I couldn't put this one down. The Biblical tale of Cain and Abel is retold through Adam and his two sons. I'm glad I didn't find out that this one was an Oprah's book club pick until after I read it - why do we need her stamp of approval on all the good books? At least my library copy was old and worn and falling apart at the seams and didn't have her name on the cover. I felt like I was discovering a great book on my own without any expectations - but that feeling would have been lost if I had known it was one of her picks. See! Now you can't even talk about a classic piece of literature without mentioning Oprah when she shouldn't even factor in. That's too bad.

Anyway. A quote from the book after a piece on mass production: "Our species is the only creative species, and it has only one creative instrument, the individual mind and the spirit of a man. Nothing was ever created by two men. There are no good collaborations, whether in music, in art, in poetry, in mathematics, in philosophy. Once the miracle of creation has taken place, the group can build and extend it, but the group never invents anything. The preciousness lies in the lonely mind of a man...

And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual."
Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 PM

I absolutely LOVE East of Eden. I believe it is one of the finest pieces of literature ever (EVAH!) written.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM

I love anything Steinbeck wrote. He's my hero!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
#17 - East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Thank God for a long weekend cause I couldn't put this one down. The Biblical tale of Cain and Abel is retold through Adam and his two sons. I'm glad I didn't find out that this one was an Oprah's book club pick until after I read it - why do we need her stamp of approval on all the good books? At least my library copy was old and worn and falling apart at the seams and didn't have her name on the cover. I felt like I was discovering a great book on my own without any expectations - but that feeling would have been lost if I had known it was one of her picks. See! Now you can't even talk about a classic piece of literature without mentioning Oprah when she shouldn't even factor in. That's too bad.

Anyway. A quote from the book after a piece on mass production: "Our species is the only creative species, and it has only one creative instrument, the individual mind and the spirit of a man. Nothing was ever created by two men. There are no good collaborations, whether in music, in art, in poetry, in mathematics, in philosophy. Once the miracle of creation has taken place, the group can build and extend it, but the group never invents anything. The preciousness lies in the lonely mind of a man...

And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual."
I actually just started this book toay for my Eminent Authors: Steinbeck class, and I'll be posting reviews for three books just as soon as I can get off my duff and write them.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 02-16-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
I absolutely LOVE East of Eden. I believe it is one of the finest pieces of literature ever (EVAH!) written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
I love anything Steinbeck wrote. He's my hero!
I'm glad. I want to read some more of his stuff. When I go to Monterey this summer, I plan on reading Cannery Row while IN Cannery Row!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I actually just started this book toay for my Eminent Authors: Steinbeck class, and I'll be posting reviews for three books just as soon as I can get off my duff and write them.
Looking forward to your reviews!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
I'm glad. I want to read some more of his stuff. When I go to Monterey this summer, I plan on reading Cannery Row while IN Cannery Row!
If you can, go to the Steinbeck Museum in Salinas. It's awesome and fun for kids as well (believe it or not).

Old 02-17-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
If you can, go to the Steinbeck Museum in Salinas. It's awesome and fun for kids as well (believe it or not).
I want to see that. I also saw on Wikipedia that the house he grew up in is restored and is now a restaurant.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:25 AM

Hm! I didn't know that. I'll have to look for it next time I go up there.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:08 PM

#3 - Shopping for Porcupine by Seth Kantner

Kantner writes about his life in Alaska, growing up in a sod igloo above the Arctic Circle, hunting, fishing, trapping, travelling by dog team or snowmobile, eventually taking up photography and writing. He tells stories about other people who live there, and talks about how life in the Arctic is changing. I found it really interesting.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
For my word loving friends -- I think this is really cool.

http://www.wordle.net/create
That's cool! Thanks!

User Tag List