Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Ok. I'm totally embarssed to admit how much I have enjoyed this series. It's light. It's fluffy. It sounds silly when you try to explain it to someone and yet, it's been a fun read.

I am not sure how I ended up with the third book, but I found the first two in paperback so I could read them and then read the third. It's been a fast little series...it's dark, but not TOO dark and silly but not TOO silly. Over this past dreary week, it's just been exactly the right kind of mental fluff to keep me entertained.

Anyone else? I'm half way through the last book, so no spoilers, please.
#2 of 12 Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey sometimes you need a break, I understand!

The next in the series is due out late this summer, I believe, called "Dreamfever" and the final one is "Shadowfever"

The tone kind of makes me think of the "Terminator" series

KMM also has a lighter series (her "Highlander Novels": "The Dark Highlander", "The Immortal Highlander", etc) that are related to the current "fever" series; you will recognize some of the characters. Its lighter in tone than the "fever" series also, I very much enjoyed them
#3 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

I knew she had a whole other series (or several? ) but they look kind of romancy so I didn't pick them up. I didn't know they were related. Awesome.

Off to amazon! I can't wait to start passing these around with my friends!
#4 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I knew she had a whole other series (or several? ) but they look kind of romancy so I didn't pick them up. I didn't know they were related. Awesome.

Off to amazon! I can't wait to start passing these around with my friends!
They are romancy LOL, but they do have characters/events that you see in the Fever series. I don't think you need to read them first to get the story though, but I do think it adds to it. I checked and the next one ("Dreamfever" is due out 8/25/09 if they keep to their schedule!) So read slowly so you catch up just in time; me I have to wait :
#5 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM

I have a ? I want to ask you re:
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Barron's identity
when you get to "Faefever" (3rd book)!
#6 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I just pre-ordered the next book. MUST HAVE. And I've ordered the others. Sigh. I'm a sucker. These books were just so much fun!

What's your question?
#7 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 PM

OK, we know Barrons is an assumed identity. Who/what do you think Barrons really is? I think he may very well be (this won't ruin things if you haven't finished Faefever yet)
the Unseelie King!!! Mac keeps saying he isn't human, he has superpowers of some sort, the shades fear him and keep their distance, V'lane is very careful around him. He also says that the UK hasn't been seen for a long time, perhaps Barrons is him in sort of human form LOL? V'lane tells Mac that the UK has repented and wants to make things right with the Fae and destroy the evil. Barrons is a bad boy but good deep inside IMO. I also wonder if Mac might possibly be Queen Aoebheail (sp?) and not know it yet (amnesia, a disguise to hide her, perhaps she may have drunk from the Cauldron and thus not have all her memories?) - but that may be too far fetched LOL.

Dying to know what you think!
#8 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I think your theory is a good one as far as who Barrons is because it seems other people have found clues pointing in this direction. It would be a pretty darn satisfying plot twist!

My theory is

SPOILER ALERT! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO SPOILER TAGS! SPOILER ALERT!

Someone clue me in and I'll go back and fix this.

Nevermind, figured it out. Because I am AWESOME.

My theory is that he's the boy who wrote the journal (p 193 - 194 in the hardback of Faefever, sitting right here on my desk).

No one else seems to have hit on this theory so I am guessing I am wwwwaaaaaayyyyy off.
#9 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Ooo I forgot about that boy! You may have hit the nail right on the head! I may be the one who is waaay off, falling for "Yeah, I'm the UK, but I've changed! Really!" Glad we don't have to wait too long!
#10 of 12 Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I will never admit this anywhere else (although if she would just give the books less embarassing names and maybe if the covers didn't all have big nakey man chests on them!!!) but these books are not bad. I'm on the second one and I'd compare them to something like the Suzanne Frank series (Reflections in the Nile, etc). I read those on the advice of Diana Gabaldon - I think either on her blog or in her Outlandish Companion she had a list of things to read while you're waiting for the next Outlander book. A lot of them have kind of silly premises but are fun and entertaining. I'd lump this series in with those. Not bad. Not brain food, but fun and often funny.
#11 of 12 Old 11-23-2010, 02:01 AM

Hi!  I'm wondering if anyone here is still around?  I'm super excited for Shadowfever to come out in January. . .but I don't know what I'll read after that!!  I'm so totally hopelessly hooked on these books!  I did think the first half of the first one was kind of dumb, I found myself rolling my eyes a lot. . .I'm so glad I finished it and went on in the series!!  Love these books!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#12 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 AM

I must have missed this thread but I see it was started in February 2009, just before I’d even started getting into urban fantasy.   I too thoroughly enjoyed this series for all the same reasons as the OP. It is light yet not too trashy, dark but not too scary and the sex sizzles but is not overly graphic. The perfect kind of book to read when I need to wait for my son during his activities and I am tired.

I read all the books in a few weeks last Spring and am just dying to know who “it”  was in the last chapter (don’t want to give to much away) I was thinking of re-reading them before Shadow Fever comes out in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post

Hi!  I'm wondering if anyone here is still around?  I'm super excited for Shadowfever to come out in January. . .but I don't know what I'll read after that!!  I'm so totally hopelessly hooked on these books!  I did think the first half of the first one was kind of dumb, I found myself rolling my eyes a lot. . .I'm so glad I finished it and went on in the series!!  Love these books!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page