March 2009 Book Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Problem With The Puddles by Kate Feiffer

Parents who can't agree on anything, an 8 1/2 year old girl called Emily by her father, Ferdinanda by her mother, and Baby by everyone else, an older brother named Tom, two dogs both named Sally. When they leave their country house to go back to their city house, the Sallys are left behind. This book alternates between the Sallies trying to get back to their family and the family trying to get back to the Sallies.

I had this to review for amazon. It's a cute enough book -- not the greatest but cute.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#33 The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Good stuff. Jackson, Mississippi -- 1962. Interaction between white women and their "colored" maids.

Friends are here, all for now. Anybody else reading this?
#63 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 02:35 PM

14. Legacy (The Sharing Knife, Volume Two) and
15. Passage (The Sharing Knife, Volume Three) by Lois McMaster Bujold

I'm really, really enjoying this series. It's just really wonderful, interesting fantasy with a sweet love story and elements of SF first contact stories, but minus a lot of the annoying fantasy hallmarks (i.e. too many characters or names that sound the same, over-reliance on setting). I'm very much looking forward to reading the next (final?) volume, I'm on the list at the library.

16. White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, Book 7) - Kim Harrison

Ok, so reading this book I realized why I like to wait until a whole series is completed before starting to read it - I can't freaking remember what happened in the previous books! This particular installment was difficult because suddenly the author decided to call upon details of I believe THREE short stories that were published in anthologies, which I (and I imagine a lot of other readers of the series) hadn't read. There were a LOT of holes because of this. So now I'm scrambling to get a hold of those anthologies from the library so I can fill in the gaps - not the way I generally like to read books to say the least. I think one day I'm just going to have to sit down and reread this whole series in sequence. It's a great series, but man, I think mama brain is finally taking its toll.

17. The Official Ubuntu Book, 3rd Ed - Benjamin Mako Hill, et al

So I got a wretched rootkit virus on my computer last week and the only way to get rid of the thing was to pretty much nuke my operating system and start over - this required me to either a) purchase a replacement copy of Windows XP (mine came loaded on my laptop, so no disk to replace it) or b) switch operating systems. I chose b, and replaced my XP with Ubuntu, which is a Linux operating system. I LOVE it! So the book is great, VERY basic, geared to the normal windows kind of desktop computer user (not for command line fanatics). It comes with two disks (one desktop edition, one for servers) so it makes installation really easy (although you can download Ubuntu legally for free from www.ubuntu.com). If anyone is looking to switch operating systems and dive into the wonderful world of open source and free software, I can't recommend Ubuntu - and this book - highly enough.

1. One Foot In the Grave - Jeaniene Frost 2. Shadow Kiss - Richelle Mead 3. Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooling Life - Rue Kream 4. Lord of Misrule (Morganville Vampires, Book 5) - Rachel Caine 5. Sunshine - Robin McKinley 6. Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) - Jim Butcher 7. Magic to the Bone - Devon Monk 8. Bone Crossed - Patricia Briggs 9. Impossible - Nancy Werlin 10. I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone - Stephanie Kuehnert 11. Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand - Carrie Vaughn 12. At Grave's End (Night Huntress, Book 3) - Jeaniene Frost 13. Beguilement (The Sharing Knife, Volume One) - Lois McMaster Bujold 14. Legacy (The Sharing Knife, Volume Two) - Lois McMaster Bujold 15. Passage (The Sharing Knife, Volume Three) - Lois McMaster Bujold 16. White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, Book 7) - Kim Harrison 17. The Official Ubuntu Book, 3rd Ed - Benjamin Mako Hill, et al

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#64 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM

13. The Yellow Wallpaper
14. Above All, Be Kind
15. Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots
#65 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 05:04 PM

Ok. So I adored Graceling. Does anyone know any other books that are similar? I would love suggestions!
#66 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 05:19 PM

I have been sick since Wednesday and unable to read. During my delirium, I considered returning all my books because I was convinced I would never be able to read again (had headaches and nausea). I am slowly getting back in the saddle but I am way behind now.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#67 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avecilla View Post
13. The Yellow Wallpaper
I LOVE this story!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#68 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM

Fledgling by Octavia Butler.

I was not as pleased with this story as I hoped I would be. I just didn't find it compelling. I'm not much of a sci-fi buff, but I can usually get into anything if it's well written and moves quickly, even if it's far-fetched, as this was (53-year-old amnesic, genetically modified vampire). I guess I had a lot of questions at the end. And it seemed like more of an outline of a plot than a rich text. It's relatively recent (2005) so I think I'll give some of her earlier work a try. Recommendations welcome.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#69 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmann View Post
Fledgling by Octavia Butler.
It's relatively recent (2005) so I think I'll give some of her earlier work a try. Recommendations welcome.
I haven't read Fledgling, but Butler's book Parable of the Sower has to be one of the scariest books I've ever read. It's kind of a way too realistic, dark view of one future for our country (very timely right now with the economy the way it is). I would definitely recommend it, but don't blame me if it gives you nightmares or makes you want to start burying money in jars in your backyard!

#70 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
#33 The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Good stuff. Jackson, Mississippi -- 1962. Interaction between white women and their "colored" maids.

Friends are here, all for now. Anybody else reading this?
I have this in my TBR pile. I heard it is very good!
#71 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
I haven't read Fledgling, but Butler's book Parable of the Sower has to be one of the scariest books I've ever read. It's kind of a way too realistic, dark view of one future for our country (very timely right now with the economy the way it is). I would definitely recommend it, but don't blame me if it gives you nightmares or makes you want to start burying money in jars in your backyard!
Thanks, I'll check it out. Unfortunately my library only has Fledgling and no other books by her. Guess I'll have to check the used book store.

#72 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Not loving the book I'm reading now, but I won't let myself not finish it. Do you always finish books you start, or is it my compulsive nature?

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

#73 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmom View Post
Not loving the book I'm reading now, but I won't let myself not finish it. Do you always finish books you start, or is it my compulsive nature?
This is a compulsion that I know all to well! I can't not finish a book. Good or bad, I just can't!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#74 of 229 Old 03-09-2009, 11:32 PM

The Big Girls by Susanna Moore

This was recommended last month -- at some point I realized I had read this before but I didn't remember what happened and I was so into the story that I read it again anyway. This is a disturbing book about various people associated with a women's prison--including inmate, guard, psychiatrist, etc.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#75 of 229 Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I used to have to finish everything I started, but then, I read something Nancy Pearl said (can't remember what exactly) and I began to feel alright about letting go of certain books if I wasn't enjoying them. I think that approaching it with the mindset of "not now doesn't mean not never" kinda helps me too. Even though I know some of them are really not ever books.

#7 The Underground by Kat Richardson

My least favorite of the series so far. I just couldn't get into the backstory on Quinton and had a lot of trouble picturing the scene since she took so many liberties with Pioneer Square and the Underground.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#76 of 229 Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post
.....I think that approaching it with the mindset of "not now doesn't mean not never" kinda helps me too. Even though I know some of them are really not ever books.

Ooooh, I like that approach! I may just have to adopt it!

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

#77 of 229 Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 AM

#13 - Everyone Worth Knowing by Laura Weisgerber

Well, that was palate-cleansing! Pure fluff, by the author of The Devil Wears Prada (which I haven't read, although reviews say it's better). Just what I needed, post-Atwood...
#78 of 229 Old 03-10-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Started Deweyby Vicki Myron, because, like I said, I'm a sucker for a good animal story. This book is ok, but maybe should be titled, A History of Spencer, Iowa, the memoir of Vicki Myron and, Oh Yeah, There's A Cat That Lives in the Library!
Just wanted to come back and say that this made me laugh, even though I haven't read the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
I have this in my TBR pile. I heard it is very good!
Re: The Help by Kathryn Stockett -- Yeah, I enjoyed it -- it was a pretty long book but really flowed for me (if it wasn't due back really soon and we weren't leaving for a trip on Friday, I probably wouldn't have even thought about how long it was.) I liked some of the little things she added in that happened to be happening around that time -- Like zip codes coming into being and ppl saying no one was going to use them and how struck one of the main characters was by Dylan's The Times They Are A-Changin'.

Quote:
I definitely used to finish every book -- picture me as a 7th grader trudging through Dicken's Old Curiosity Shop (not an assignment) -- but in the past 4 or 5 years I've started allowing myself to stop every once in a while -- maybe one book out of every 15, sometimes more, sometimes less....
#79 of 229 Old 03-10-2009, 12:02 PM

19. The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

I read this because DH did and said it was the best Ellroy's ever done. However, I found it tedious and too much like his other books to really enjoy. Knowing Ellroy's background story about his own mother, I felt like this book was an act of therapy for him, a way to exorcise his own demons. I wish he could have found another way to do that because I didn't like coming along for the ride. The whole Elizabeth Short story/murder/background made me uncomfortable. I think this man doesn't understand women and doesn't know how to write about them. (I felt this way about LA Confidential as well)
#80 of 229 Old 03-10-2009, 12:26 PM

I give a book 60 to 100 pages--if it's not grabbing me by then--it's outta here.

#81 of 229 Old 03-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I used to try and finish every book, but now I give it 50 to 75 pages. If I'm not feeling it by that point, I give up and move on. There are way too many good books out there for me to waste my time on one that I'm not enjoying. I think I got the okay to do this from Nancy Pearl's Book Lust book too. Love her. I also like to think that sometimes I will return to a book later on down the line. Sometimes it's true that the timing is off for the right time to enjoy a book.
#82 of 229 Old 03-10-2009, 06:25 PM

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

I've read this before but I'm doing a paper on the author and have to compare two of her major works. This is a great book about a teen who has been raped and doesn't know how to speak up about it.

#83 of 229 Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I've put books down that I didn't really get into, but this usually happens only when I'm reading multiple books.

#84 of 229 Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 AM

24. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

I always hear this book/author referred to on the Gilmore Girls... so I thought I should read it. ("Hey, did anyone ever think that maybe Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, she was just cold?") All I knew about Sylvia Plath was that she was mentally ill and considered something of a new thinker. I looked her up on Wikipedia after reading The Bell Jar and it is shocking how much of the book is actually autobiographical. She did a good job creating the character of Esther because obviously she knew that character very well as herself.
#85 of 229 Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 AM

#8 Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead

Got this rec off of one of these threads, and I loved it! The dialogue was great and a very charming, witty main character.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#86 of 229 Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
yeh, i give a book around 100 pages too and then bail on it. i have a hard time not finishing a book but if after 100 pages it isnt doing well, i will stop and perhaps pick it up later (i am currently reading 1812 and have been for a very long time..i like the book well enough...but it never grabs me and i cant finish it or discard it...so i keep going back to it every few months to see if i can get through it).

one Q: how do those of you who listen to audio books get into them? i have never used them and am now listening to my first one and its just strange to me. did it take you a few books to get into the mode? our library has a system of audio books, but you cant d/l them to ipods yet so you have to burn CD's. im hoping they fix this soon but i am now listening to an 8 CD book.
#87 of 229 Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
one Q: how do those of you who listen to audio books get into them? i have never used them and am now listening to my first one and its just strange to me. did it take you a few books to get into the mode? our library has a system of audio books, but you cant d/l them to ipods yet so you have to burn CD's. im hoping they fix this soon but i am now listening to an 8 CD book.
It took me a while to get into them, but now I can't imagine not having one loaded on my iPod to listen to as I drive back and forth between work, school and home. So, I'd say give it a little bit and you'll get used to it.

Of course it helps if you have a good book/good reader, I've had some real stinkers that take some real slogging through; the Twilight series being the most recent ... the reader is dreadful!

#88 of 229 Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 PM

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw by Jeff Kinney

Greg Heffley keeps a journal, not a diary! This is the 3rd in the series and in this story Greg’s dad is trying to toughen Greg up so he’s not so wimpy. He tries sports and is thinking about sending him to military school. While not dealing with that Greg tries to attract the attention of the 4th prettiest girl in school (the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prettiest have boyfriends).

This book is so funny. I was laughing out loud within the first few pages and didn’t stop though the whole book.

#89 of 229 Old 03-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
24. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

I always hear this book/author referred to on the Gilmore Girls... so I thought I should read it. ("Hey, did anyone ever think that maybe Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, she was just cold?") All I knew about Sylvia Plath was that she was mentally ill and considered something of a new thinker. I looked her up on Wikipedia after reading The Bell Jar and it is shocking how much of the book is actually autobiographical. She did a good job creating the character of Esther because obviously she knew that character very well as herself.
Oh, I read that too, for the same reasons I think, the get the cultural references to being "in the bell jar" etc. That book made me blue.

#7 Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (did I post this one already? can't remember)

I liked this one almost as much as World Without End, although, I'm thinking I shouldn't have read them back to back b/c I got a little tired of his writing and plot style.

#8 Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

Your typical fast moving quick read Picoult novel. The story is about a man who might be a murderer on death row, he might also be a messiah, and he wants to donate his heart to the surviving daughter of the family who lost the dad and another daughter in the murder. Nice and twisty story line. Although, I sorta guessed some of the stuff that happened before it was "revealed".
#90 of 229 Old 03-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post
#8 Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead

Got this rec off of one of these threads, and I loved it! The dialogue was great and a very charming, witty main character.
Yay, I'm so glad you liked it! I love her books, they are so fun. She has two other series - one is similar, urban fantasy (Storm Born) the other is YA - Vampire Academy. They're all fun for different reasons.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page