March 2009 Book Challenge - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 229 Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's one of my favorite books! I just loved the writing and the story. I was a bit disappointed in the ending . . . seemed kind of . . . I don't know . . . manufactured. What did you think?

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 229 Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Frankly, the ending confused me just a little bit. I sort of had to read and then stop and think about it and then read and then stop and think about it again. There were some aspects I thought seemed a little predictable or whaddaya call it? a deus ex machina or something? a machine to fix the story? am I totally butchering the terminology?
#213 of 229 Old 03-30-2009, 08:03 PM

23. Greywalker - Kat Richardson

Urban Fantasy - First in a series.

Quote:
Harper Blaine was slogging along as a small-time P.I. when a two-bit perp's savage assault left her dead. For two minutes, to be precise. Her "death" has made her a Greywalker - able to move between our world and the mysterious, cross-over zone where things that go bump in the night exist. And her new gift (or curse) is about to drag her into that world of vampires and ghosts, magic and witches, necromancers and sinister artifacts. Whether she likes it or not.
I thought the premise of this book sounded interesting, and bonus! it takes place in Seattle. However, this book went on FOREVER, and yet it felt like nothing happened...forever. Way too much "I can't handle this" main character whining. So much of this book seems like it was just setting up the rest of the series - and not just the action of this particular installment of it. Great authors can do both at once.

I really liked some of the secondary characters (Quinton, Mara & Ben) - in fact, a lot more than I liked the boring and plodding main character, Harper. Can we switch protagonists? Because then I might continue with this series. As it stands, notsomuch.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#214 of 229 Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
Thanks for the PM, Bufomander I haven't seen Sliding Doors because I can barely stomach Gwyneth Paltrow but I put it in my Netflix queue. I'm curious now! LOL
Uh oh -- now I'm scared that I'll make you watch a G.P. film when you don't want to and you won't like it! FWIW, I'm not sure I've seen any *other* films with her in it.... It's less about alternate choices than alternate possibilities...if that makes any sense....
#215 of 229 Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 PM

Oops! I came to post:
#40 Original Sin by P.D. James
Nice little British mystery. takes place at a publishing company. last 60 pages or so found me very engrossed.
#216 of 229 Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 PM

LOL It's ok. I'll live. I AM very curious about the film now and can't wait for it to arrive!

I love PDJames. Were you the one in an older thread who asked which books of hers to read first? I love her writing. I think it's a cut above your average mystery stuff, not that it's bad to be average!
#217 of 229 Old 03-31-2009, 10:48 AM

Matilda by Roald Dahl. I just read it to my 11 week old son, and I'm sure I got more out of it than he did. But it counts, right?

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#218 of 229 Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 AM

#17 - Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

Oh my! I think this is one of the best books I've read. Not much 'happens' as such, but there was so much to read over a second time, and really think about. Also very generous-hearted, which I love. I kept dog-earing pages to come back to again one day.

It's written as a lengthy letter from a 76 year old minister in Iowa, with what he wants his 6 year old son to know after his death. Just such a smart, thoughtful book.
#219 of 229 Old 03-31-2009, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
#4 - The Virgin in the Garden - A.S. Byatt

The first of four books about the Potter family. (I accidentally started with the second one, last year.) In this one, 17-year-old Frederica acts in a play and wants to lose her virginity, while her troubled younger brother, Marcus, becomes friends with a teacher who turns out to be even more troubled, and her older sister, Stephanie, meets a man who wants to marry her. I liked it, but found it very slow going. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever finish it.
#220 of 229 Old 03-31-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
#4 - The Virgin in the Garden - A.S. Byatt

The first of four books about the Potter family. (I accidentally started with the second one, last year.) In this one, 17-year-old Frederica acts in a play and wants to lose her virginity, while her troubled younger brother, Marcus, becomes friends with a teacher who turns out to be even more troubled, and her older sister, Stephanie, meets a man who wants to marry her. I liked it, but found it very slow going. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever finish it.
I love that book (and the three that come next)! They are so beautifully crafted. :
#221 of 229 Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
23. Greywalker - Kat Richardson

Urban Fantasy - First in a series.

I thought the premise of this book sounded interesting, and bonus! it takes place in Seattle. However, this book went on FOREVER, and yet it felt like nothing happened...forever. Way too much "I can't handle this" main character whining. So much of this book seems like it was just setting up the rest of the series - and not just the action of this particular installment of it. Great authors can do both at once.

I really liked some of the secondary characters (Quinton, Mara & Ben) - in fact, a lot more than I liked the boring and plodding main character, Harper. Can we switch protagonists? Because then I might continue with this series. As it stands, notsomuch.
That's too bad that you didn't like it....I know what you mean about it taking a while to develop, and Harper does complain a lot, but I think that the later books get better. Although, she never really does develop Mara and Ben's characters.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#222 of 229 Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post
That's too bad that you didn't like it....I know what you mean about it taking a while to develop, and Harper does complain a lot, but I think that the later books get better. Although, she never really does develop Mara and Ben's characters.
I might try the next one if I can find it at the library, because I really do like some of the secondary characters enough to see what happens. But I won't be forking over cash for these trade paperbacks any time soon.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#223 of 229 Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
#17 - Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

Oh my! I think this is one of the best books I've read. Not much 'happens' as such, but there was so much to read over a second time, and really think about. Also very generous-hearted, which I love. I kept dog-earing pages to come back to again one day.

It's written as a lengthy letter from a 76 year old minister in Iowa, with what he wants his 6 year old son to know after his death. Just such a smart, thoughtful book.
Home (the companion to Gilead) and Housekeeping are also excellent. Housekeeping is one of my all time favorites.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#224 of 229 Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 AM

will someone pls. post a link to the april thread? i am never able to find the new threads.
#225 of 229 Old 04-01-2009, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

I've been a bit derelict in my posting, here's my four most recent reads from the last couple of weeks...

#13 Eclipse (Audio)
by Stephenie Meyer
read by Ilyana Kadushin

My review of Eclipse (Audio) can be found HERE

#14 A Bit on the Side
by William Trevor

My reveiw of A Bit on the Side can be found HERE

#15 East of Eden
by John Steinbeck

My reveiw of East of Eden can be found HERE

#16 As I Lay Dying: Redux
by William Faulkner

My review of As I Lay Dying can be found HERE

#1 The King in Yellow, #2 Ghost Story, #3 Twilight (Audio), #4 Nice Work, #5 The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged, #6 Collected Poems 1909-1962 (T.S. Eliot), #7 New Moon (Audio), #8 Selected Poems (William Carlos Williams), #9 The Pearl, #10 The Blackwater Lightship, #11 100 Selected Poems (e.e. cummings), #12 The Grapes of Wrath, #13 Eclipse (Audio), #14 A Bit on the Side, #15 East of Eden, #16 As I Lay Dying: Redux

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#226 of 229 Old 04-01-2009, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
will someone pls. post a link to the april thread? i am never able to find the new threads.
That's because I haven't made it yet

Off to create April's thread, then I'll be back to post the link.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#227 of 229 Old 04-01-2009, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Viola ... April's Thread

#228 of 229 Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
I love PDJames. Were you the one in an older thread who asked which books of hers to read first? I love her writing. I think it's a cut above your average mystery stuff, not that it's bad to be average!
Yeah, that might have been me. I'm enjoying working through them and I think the same thing -- a slight cut above -- more substance than some in the genre. My Amazon recs are full of her now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Viola ... April's Thread
Is it okay for me to find it humorous that, while you avoided it in the new thread, you didn't quite avoid misspellings in the link to the new thread?
#229 of 229 Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
Is it okay for me to find it humorous that, while you avoided it in the new thread, you didn't quite avoid misspellings in the link to the new thread?
That wasn't a misspelling. Just a personal quirk. Instead of Voilá I'll usually say Viola. It bugs my wife who speaks French. Guess it didn't translate.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page