Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulahma View Post
i also almost emailed my first love- haha

he was 6'1'', pale, dark hair and he wrote me love letter upon love letter. he would call and leave me messages quoting classic novels. After reading some criticism of the book, I felt the need to thank him for being a tad old fashioned. if I wrote about the experience now- it would probably seem really goofy and lame and cliche- but at the time- [swoon]
Yep, my first reay BF did all that too, and he was a writer. Total swoon. I too had the urge to contact him, but since I don't know where he is or his e-mail it was easier to resist. It wouldn't have been smart in any case.

I am on book 5 of the sookie stackhouse series..... I think we may need a new thread for them. is there one going yet?

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsboyko View Post
Yep, my first reay BF did all that too, and he was a writer. Total swoon. I too had the urge to contact him, but since I don't know where he is or his e-mail it was easier to resist. It wouldn't have been smart in any case.

I am on book 5 of the sookie stackhouse series..... I think we may need a new thread for them. is there one going yet?
ha! he is a writer in hollywood now

darn writers.....

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 PM

I have just bumped up a Sookie Stackhouse thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7#post14076217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsboyko View Post

Old 07-13-2009, 03:18 PM

Yeah yeah, I know I'm super late to this thread, but I just finally saw this movie. I have not read the books. I have avoided all threads because I didn't want any spoilers. I've been wanting to see Twilight for awhile, just haven't gotten around to it. Um...WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG???? I watched this movie two times in a row on Saturday. I'm totally 15 again!

And can I just say...I would bat for the other team for Edward! *SWOON* I can't talk about my crush with DW because I wouldn't want her to worry. I'm a lesbian? Not if Edward visited my room at night!

Off to go buy the books...

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm LMBO, Beth! And do read the books--so much better than the movie!

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
Old 07-14-2009, 08:49 PM

Enjoy the books!

The movie is fun, but the books are sooooo much better!!!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM

Beth - Enjoy!!!!!!!! It's so fine to discover it all for the first time!
If the fever catches you and you think that you're losing your mind, it does become sane (in a few months ) I can now have entire conversations where I do not relate any aspect to Twilight. Of course, I'm now obsessing Harry Potter until it's closer to November and New Moon.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:17 PM

KyCat- A few MONTHS? Oh lord help me!!!!

So, I was trying to explain my new-found Edward obsession to my DW yesterday. I ended up really figuring it out. Thought I would post it here.

I started reading all of the Anne Rice Vampire series when I was 16 yrs old. I had almost died in a car accident at 15 and had a lot of scars covering my hand (46 stitches on the top of my hand) and some on my face. I'm sure you can imagine how that would affect a pretty 15 yr old. Before the accident I had been asked to the Homecoming dance by a VERY popular, cute senior class boy. He still kept his promise and took me to the dance, because how bad would he looked if he canceled on the accident victim? I tried my best to keep my scars hidden as best as I could, but it didn't work. He ditched me near the beginning of the night.

Fast forward a year to the vampire series:
I loved the books and got REALLY into them. I wanted Lestat (who I almost believed WAS real) to come and turn me into a vampire. I was serious about it. I wanted to be a real vampire more than anything! If I could be turned then all my scars would go away and I'd be beautiful again!!

Then I read the 3rd book, Queen of the Damned, at almost age 17, and it changed my life forever. Rice wrote a lot about the first vampire ever and how her skin "glistened like scar tissue. Translucent and beautiful". I had to read the entire description over and over before I started to not picture something ugly and disfiguring. Anne Rice couldn't have been describing something ugly in a beautiful way. I tried to not look at my hand much up until then. It was so ugly! But after reading that beautiful description of the vampire's skin, I stared long and hard at my scars individually. I finally noticed the translucence in the sunlight, the snake-like squiggles, the different color and skin tone of the healed parts. I finally saw how beautiful it was! I was like a vampire!!! : I was as close as I'd ever get and I felt a real, secret connection to them that only I knew about or understood. From that moment on, at 17, I decided that my scars were beautiful, no matter what anyone else thought. I didn't just accept them. I embraced them and didn't mind people asking me about them. I was proud of them! I wanted to show them off! Look how unique I am!! :

I've never talked about this before until yesterday (and right now). So, when I say that Twilight brought me back to age 15, it really, really did! My DW couldn't understand my LOVE and fascination for vampires and why I watched the movie two times in a row, until I explained it to her. Geez, I can't wait to read the books...

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Old 07-16-2009, 12:12 PM

Beth-
I didn't mean to scare you! Many people enjoy and even love the series without catching the fever. But if you do find your entire life revolving around Twilight, I was actually trying to calm you -- it will wane, so enjoy the ride. I feared that I had gone around a bend that I couldn't come back from! (That being said, I can't wait for the release of New Moon, and I'm fully expecting a relapse for a while then. )
-Cathy
Old 07-18-2009, 12:27 AM

I'm anticipating a relaps come November, too. I'm in a self induced waning phase now (currently thoroughly enjoying a huge crush on Jamie Fraser from the Outlander books), plan on picking Twilight up again come Oct/early Nov in anticipation of the movie.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
Old 07-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanelleB View Post
I'm anticipating a relaps come November, too. I'm in a self induced waning phase now (currently thoroughly enjoying a huge crush on Jamie Fraser from the Outlander books), plan on picking Twilight up again come Oct/early Nov in anticipation of the movie.
I loved those books, Jamie is an amazing character. I thoroughly enjoyed the...er...detail those books have that is lacking in Twilight.

blogging.jpg 
Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
I loved those books, Jamie is an amazing character. I thoroughly enjoyed the...er...detail those books have that is lacking in Twilight.
me too. . .in fact, my DH was very happy when I was reading the Outlander series (he's usually very jealous when I'm into books. . .but these he encouraged)

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:16 AM

I was tempted into a relapse when I saw the New Moon trailer on the big screen when we went to see Harry Potter tonight! It looks so good!!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Yes, the movie looks great!
I am waiting to re-read the series,at least Twilight and New Moon until just before the movie comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
I was tempted into a relapse when I saw the New Moon trailer on the big screen when we went to see Harry Potter tonight! It looks so good!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
me too. . .in fact, my DH was very happy when I was reading the Outlander series (he's usually very jealous when I'm into books. . .but these he encouraged)
Um, yeah. My hubby hasn't made the connection between my renewed interest and the Outlander books. I wish he would get a clue--it's nice finally having a sex drive after having none since the twins were born, I'd like to take advantage of it.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygumdrops View Post
Okay...this makes me I have been seriously thinking that I'm having a midlife crisis because I am LUV with Edward.
I am so glad to know that I'm not alone.

I read all the books on a four day wknd recently and have been totally obsessed ever since. It really did wake up a passion I'd forgotten was there...and I don't care HOW CORNY that sounds!!!

LOL!! Def coutning down the days till New Moon come out!!!!

Is it November yet!?!?!?!?!

Dern, I keep finding things I want to reply to! Maybe I should read the whole thread first!!! LOL!!

Originally Posted by Eliseatthebeach
It's the Anne Rice vampire chronicles for this generation....but way more bubblegum. ----------

Blasphemy! OMG, my stomach actually started hurting when I read that.

As much as I love Twilight, I cannot condone this comaprison!! LOL!
Ann Rice + Lestat = my first true vampire love
I devoured all her books...well, up until the last one. *weird*
Lestat will ALWAYS be the best...that's another thread though!!

OOOHHH!!! And the Outlander series!! Ach! **swoon**
Priceless as well.

These are all books I wish I hadn't read just so I could read them for the first time!

Center
Old 07-22-2009, 10:45 PM

http://www.newmoonthemovie.com/

Here's some fun.

http://www.newmoonmovie.org/

It's mentioned here, too.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 08-04-2009, 06:24 PM

So I saw an article in our local paper today about Ariel Tweeto.. local athlete, Alaskan Native, 20 yo.. doing the "hollywood thing" (her words).. anyway, she is in negotiations for a small part in the Twilight film sequel..

so just curious, but how many female roles COULD she fit into in the sequel? I am trying to recall the names of the girlfriends from Jacob's group, but am at a loss..

Hoping this works out for Ariel!

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/142740
Old 08-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Well, she could easily be one of the newborns, such as Bree.

, , , and
Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
Well, she could easily be one of the newborns, such as Bree.
That's true. I keep thinking though because she is AN that they would cast her as one of the AI characters.. although I suppose it is just as likely that they cast her as one of the vamps from the Denali group- which would actually fit pretty well imho.

I know Bree was supposedly from the Seattle area, but I don't picture her being AI- did it say? I don't recall? I always picture it in my head as AI/wolves vs all different races of previous humans/vamps..
Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 PM

Well, the Denali's aren't in Eclipse, so probably not one of them. I don't think her nationality would matter one way or the other as one of the newborns, since vamps come from all races. She could possibly be Leah, but while her role in Eclipse isn't HUGE, it's more than small, and is pretty big in Breaking Dawn. I'd think the actress would have mentioned the role continues to Breaking Dawn. However, she could be Jared's SO, Kim, or Jacob's sister on whom Paul imprints.

, , , and
Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Well, the Denali's aren't in Eclipse, so probably not one of them. I don't think her nationality would matter one way or the other as one of the newborns, since vamps come from all races. She could possibly be Leah, but while her role in Eclipse isn't HUGE, it's more than small, and is pretty big in Breaking Dawn. I'd think the actress would have mentioned the role continues to Breaking Dawn. However, she could be Jared's SO, Kim, or Jacob's sister on whom Paul imprints.
I think you are probably right.. well, I will hope for Kim or Jacob's sister! I think either part would really help her on her way!:
Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 PM

Yes, I would imagine that she would play Leah.

Quote:
She could possibly be Leah, but while her role in Eclipse isn't HUGE, it's more than small, and is pretty big in Breaking Dawn. I'd think the actress would have mentioned the role continues to Breaking Dawn. However, she could be Jared's SO, Kim, or Jacob's sister on whom Paul imprints.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM

Wow, I just love this series so much! I finally started reading Twilight in early April, at my daughters' insistence, and totally devoured the series in a matter of a week or two. Then I proceeded to re-vamp the series (as they say over on the Twilight Moms forums - a great place to discuss the books in depth) 4 more times in a row.

I'm just totally enamored of Edward, and what a tortured, romantic soul he is! Who wouldn't love him! He's gorgeous, smells amazing, is very smart (has two medical degrees!), he's inherently-bad-but-tries-so-hard-to-be-good, is willing to sacrifice his own happiness for Bella's, and when he loves, he loves completely. He's a mature 110 year-old man of the world, in a 17-year-old's body. Who wouldn't love that! Oh, and he sparkles!

A lot of people think Bella isn't a great role model for girls, but she's stubborn and bookish and independent and a caretaker, all the things I am; this is why I relate to her.

I love Jacob's character, too (although I have to say I'm Team Edward all the way), and love the chapters (and extras on author Stephenie Meyer's website) from his point of view.

The movie was, hmm, okay, I guess. It had a great look to it, and everyone looked totally gorgeous (LOVED the Cullens - wish there was a bit more of them), and how I pictured, especially Rob Pattinson as Edward (uh, YUM!!!), but I think they could have done so much better. I think they could have explored E & B falling in love a bit more. I didn't get the feel for the depth of their love.

My daughters and I refer to it as "the movie that we keep watching because we think it's going to get better, but it doesn't"!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrinawitch View Post

A lot of people think Bella isn't a great role model for girls, but she's stubborn and bookish and independent and a caretaker, all the things I am; this is why I relate to her.
I think the thing that throws people for a loop with Bella is that she is very introverted.. and I think America still (at large) likes girls that are outgoing cheerleader types.. and that just ISN'T Bella.. so I agree with what you said above, but I would add introverted to that list.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
Beth-
I didn't mean to scare you! Many people enjoy and even love the series without catching the fever. But if you do find your entire life revolving around Twilight, I was actually trying to calm you -- it will wane, so enjoy the ride. I feared that I had gone around a bend that I couldn't come back from! (That being said, I can't wait for the release of New Moon, and I'm fully expecting a relapse for a while then. )
-Cathy
yea, my obsession waned until I discovered fanfiction. Now am hooked once again.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM

I am listening to all the books on tape and am listening to Breaking Dawn right now.

I think Eclipse is, by far, the best book in the series. It has so much back story for all the other characters. We get a look into what makes each character how they are. Bella admits she loves Jacob. The story really has momentum.

Breaking Dawn Chapter 19 and (sigh) the only thing that's happened so far is Bella and Edward have DTD and she's just given birth to a monster baby. This book is dragging... I'm really not enjoying the storyline at all.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
I think Eclipse is, by far, the best book in the series. It has so much back story for all the other characters. We get a look into what makes each character how they are. Bella admits she loves Jacob. The story really has momentum.
Breaking Dawn Chapter 19 and (sigh) the only thing that's happened so far is Bella and Edward have DTD and she's just given birth to a monster baby. This book is dragging... I'm really not enjoying the storyline at all.

Funny how opinions vary....I can't say I have a favourite myself. I liked each book in a different way. I know many people liked Breaking Dawn the best.
It does get better, so keep reading.

BTW After suggesting the Saga to all my friends, finally one of my best friends is reading them and says she can't remember the last time she enjoyed a novel so much. And this is someone well read.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 AM

It didn't get better. I have a Chapter left and I can't wait for this book to be over!

I liked Twilight the movie a lot. I thought Twilight the book dragged maybe because I had seen the movie first. New Moon I liked because Jacob was in it a lot. Maybe that's why I'm not enjoying this book. Bella was supposed to end up with Jacob IMO. Bella and Jacob had much better sparks. And I didn't want Bella to become a vampire so listening to many, many chapters about becoming one was (yawn) BORING!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I just wanted to say something if I might. I listen to the book because my friend kept telling me about them.

I do think the best part of Breaking was listening to Jacob tell his story. I really enjoyed that. Other then that the story does go on to long!!!

Over all I thing that she is a good story teller. She just needs a better editor.

Oh and I'm not sure that Jacob is the right guy for her. Each guy fills a different part of who Bella is. I'm not sure that Jacob would be happy if she never fully let go of Edward. Which I am not sure if she would.

User Tag List