twilight - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 654 Old 04-30-2009, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No one is signed for Breaking Dawn yet, as Summit has not officially decided to do it. They have just started looking at the possibility. Both Kristen and Robert have indicated their willingness to do the movie, Kristen in a recent interview and Robert in a red carpet interview. I don't think anyone has to worry about RP retiring anytime soon since he's said nothing recordable to the fact. He has mentioned he would like to make an album, but that isn't of course, incompatible with acting.

, , , and
#122 of 654 Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
No one is signed for Breaking Dawn yet, as Summit has not officially decided to do it. They have just started looking at the possibility. Both Kristen and Robert have indicated their willingness to do the movie, Kristen in a recent interview and Robert in a red carpet interview. I don't think anyone has to worry about RP retiring anytime soon since he's said nothing recordable to the fact. He has mentioned he would like to make an album, but that isn't of course, incompatible with acting.
You're right! I just went back to the article where I got that info from and I just realized that it was dated April 1st, 2009 and that it was placed in the "satire" category. So much for reading clearly.

Here was the article by the way: http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article...acting-in-2010
#123 of 654 Old 04-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
I don't think anyone has to worry about RP retiring anytime soon since he's said nothing recordable to the fact. He has mentioned he would like to make an album, but that isn't of course, incompatible with acting.
That's good to hear. I got the soundtrack yesterday and it has a song sang by him on it. While he has a nice voice, he really needs to work on the annunciation--you can't understand a word of it.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#124 of 654 Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 PM

I've been told the books are like Jane Austen with vampires. True?
#125 of 654 Old 05-01-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I've been told the books are like Jane Austen with vampires. True?
Gawd, no. I struggled though every Jane Austen book I ever read. These are easy, fun reads.

It's hard to think about which Twilight guy is more attractive than others because they are so young. (All except Peter Facinelli are young enough to be my kids.) I watch and think, "The guy who plays Bella's dad is kinda cute."
#126 of 654 Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 AM

Verity - I second your gawd no! But have to squawk at the rest, just a little. I love Austen's Pride and Prejudice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Twilight is so very delicious because she created interesting characters and moved them through a well thought out plot. So many stories don't end well or are inconsistent, but these stories have a great arc. They are not however literature, because they are not particularly well written. Personally I forgive a lot of that because it's told in the 1st person from a 17/18 year old's point of view. Because of this view point, they are easy quick reads (I've read them all at least 4 times - I've never done that before!)
Austen tells interesting stories with fabulous characters. She too has a great plot arc, but there is more depth in the writing and they take a little more to get into. If that richness is what you're looking for you will be disappointed in Twilight - my literary snobbish sister couldn't get through the first chapter. I hate for anyone to be disappointed in Twilight. If you know what you're in for they are just so lovely! It is certainly my own brand of heroin!
I have heard that she had different literary inspirations for the first two at least, and that Pride and Prejudice was the inspiration for the first. I read an interview with Stephenie Meyers and she said that if she were writing the series again, she wouldn't change a thing, except that they would be written better because practice makes perfect. I think that she knows that she is a writer in progress, but she has storytelling down!
#127 of 654 Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 AM

I should have written "both Jane Austen books," because I realize I've only read two: Northanger Abbey and Emma. At least the first one was short. ;-)

Back to your regularly scheduled Twilight thread.
#128 of 654 Old 05-01-2009, 01:58 PM

I'm officially "following" Stephenie Meyer & Rob Pattinson on Twitter! Tee-Hee! I feel a little like I'm stalking them, somehow.

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#129 of 654 Old 05-01-2009, 06:19 PM

OK I have never twittered or wanted to but now I must figure this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How oh how do you do this?? Is it twitter.com? How do you find people?
#130 of 654 Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Yep. Twitter.com. After you sign up it should offer for you to find people. Once you find them click on their follow buttons. Viola!

ETA: And now I'm following MotheringMag, too!!

#131 of 654 Old 05-02-2009, 12:24 AM

I'm on Twitter...

http://twitter.com/eponabri
#132 of 654 Old 05-03-2009, 12:51 AM

OK, so I've read the whole Twilight sage twice now. I also read "The Host", but got kind of disappointed. I really really really wanted to like it too, but I just didn't - didn't like the plot, didn't like the characters, didn't like how it was written. Almost had to force myself through the whole thing.

I am so sad now. I cannot read the Twilight books over and over forever. I need to find something new to read. Right? But I am so hooked, so I've been thinking

Can anyone recommend me something that is kind of similar to Twilight? I know there is nothing exactly like Twilight, but is there something similar in spirit, sort of?

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#133 of 654 Old 05-03-2009, 02:58 AM

I know how you feel about Twilight ending. First off...have your read Midnight Sun? It's a retelling of Twilight from Edward's perspective. This is a partial manuscript that Stephenie Meyer started writing a few years ago. She lent copies of it to the actors of the movie and then it got leaked. So...she decided to put it on hold. However, she did post the partial draft on her website for her fans to read. It's sooo good. Only 12 chapters and you don't get to the meadow scene.
#134 of 654 Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 PM

"I am so sad now. I cannot read the Twilight books over and over forever."
Sophi4ka, can we really not??
I haven't accepted this fact yet. I have read and even enjoyed other things, but I keep coming back.
#135 of 654 Old 05-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
I haven't accepted this fact yet. I have read and even enjoyed other things, but I keep coming back.
Me too! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!
#136 of 654 Old 05-03-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I carry a copy of Twilight in my backpack at all times in case I need a fix.

Charlaine Harris writes entertaining vampire fiction and I have been working my way through her books. The first is called Dead Until Dawn.

Believe me when I tell you, they aren't Twilight.

also, I read a bunch of Twilight-inspired blogs. They are lots of them out there written by women who aren't teenagers and they're fun to read.
#137 of 654 Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 PM

#138 of 654 Old 05-04-2009, 06:57 AM

My daughter and I were watching the movie a couple of nights ago. We usually watch in a room where my younger daughter (almost 8) won't be walking in and out, but she was at a sleepover, so we were in the living room. Even my husband and son (almost 15) would stop and watch for a few minutes as they were in and out of the room. (They do not do that with other chick movies we watch.) My husband said he definitely could see why we were hooked.

Eh, it's not Academy Award or Pulitzer Prize material, but it obviously has a lot of appeal to a lot of people.
#139 of 654 Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post
My daughter and I were watching the movie a couple of nights ago. We usually watch in a room where my younger daughter (almost 8) won't be walking in and out, but she was at a sleepover, so we were in the living room. Even my husband and son (almost 15) would stop and watch for a few minutes as they were in and out of the room. (They do not do that with other chick movies we watch.) My husband said he definitely could see why we were hooked.

Eh, it's not Academy Award or Pulitzer Prize material, but it obviously has a lot of appeal to a lot of people.
:

I second and third that!! Lots of appeal here! I cant wait to watch this movie with my husband. He will probably not like it but what ever.
#140 of 654 Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 AM

I wanted to add that I watched the hospital scene closely and didn't see what everyone is complaining about. I guess I am just not a terribly harsh critic.

I still absolutely the scene at the prom where they are dancing in the gazebo. It is just a beautiful scene, and so romantic. ::::::swoon::::::
#141 of 654 Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 AM

My hubby puts up with DD watching the movie over and over because he thinks Kristen Stuart is cute. LOL Makes me feel better about crushing on Edward.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#142 of 654 Old 05-04-2009, 12:29 PM

I watched the movie four times before my DH finally sat down to watch it with me. He thought it was okay.
#143 of 654 Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 PM

I saw the movie before I read the books. I'm pretty sure that if I saw Robert Pattison in any other movie, he would just be good looking. But being that he is an immortal, sexy vampire, his looks multiply!

I'm reading the books now, and they are even better than the movie, IMO. I have to admit, Jacob is starting to grow on me in New Moon. Now I am looking EVERYWHERE for Eclipse, but all the stores in my area are sold out : I could order it online, but then I have to wait for shipping. Lol.

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
#144 of 654 Old 05-04-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanelleB View Post
My hubby puts up with DD watching the movie over and over because he thinks Kristen Stuart is cute. LOL Makes me feel better about crushing on Edward.
heeehee. When we first watched Twilight, when it was over, I said to my hubby, OMG RP is sooooo sexy. He just chuckled. Well, then he bought me the movie and I felt kind of guility So, then like a week or so goes by and I am reading about RP in some magazine and my hubby got a little jealous...it was funny because he never gets jealous anymore.

DH did mention something about Kristen Stewart though.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#145 of 654 Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM

I definitely think that Rob Pattinson is cute, but my crush is totally on the character Edward. I've got my mortal and I'm quite taken with him, but if I stumble on a selfless vampire, look out! hee hee
A friend of a friend (sounds fishy but it's legit) has a poster of RP hanging over her bed, the bed that she shares with her husband! He asked if he should get Cheryl Tiegs and she replied that he could get whatever he wanted, but she was keeping RP!
#146 of 654 Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I definitely think that Rob Pattinson is cute, but my crush is totally on the character Edward. I've got my mortal and I'm quite taken with him, but if I stumble on a selfless vampire, look out! hee hee
Absolutely! RP is cute, but the character Edward is sexy! If you haven't you need to read Midnight Sun (it's Twilight from EPOV), and you'll love him so much more.

#147 of 654 Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
A friend of a friend (sounds fishy but it's legit) has a poster of RP hanging over her bed, the bed that she shares with her husband! He asked if he should get Cheryl Tiegs and she replied that he could get whatever he wanted, but she was keeping RP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susana View Post
I carry a copy of Twilight in my backpack at all times in case I need a fix.
I have all four audiobooks on my iPod and I listen to them whenever I drive/go anywhere. Thanks God its so many listening hours - by the point I finish Breaking Dawn I am all ready for the Twilight again

Of course I read the Midnight Sun. I would personally hang the person that leaked it to the internet. If not for that idiot, Stephanie Meyers would have the book out by now. So frustrating. I wish there would be a way to convince her to finish it.

It also annoys me how some people are complaining that her writing is not good. So what that its not Leo Tolstoy kind of literature. Who cares? (those snobs...) For a person that read a lot (and I mean A LOT) of classical literature, I have to say that I don't remember when was the last book I've enjoyed reading as much as the Twilight saga books.

Anyway, I am still looking for book recommendations? Anyone?

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#148 of 654 Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophi4ka View Post
It also annoys me how some people are complaining that her writing is not good. So what that its not Leo Tolstoy kind of literature. Who cares? (those snobs...) For a person that read a lot (and I mean A LOT) of classical literature, I have to say that I don't remember when was the last book I've enjoyed reading as much as the Twilight saga books.

I agree with your assessment! I get so aggravated when people say it's "poor writing". It completely and totally sucks you in. That's good writing!!

As for other books..Have you read "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. It's amazing! I'm reading "The Host" right now too. It's a slow starting book but once you get into it you can't stop reading!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#149 of 654 Old 05-06-2009, 01:11 PM

I think it's bad writing and I still like it. Shrug. The two opinions are irreconcilable.
#150 of 654 Old 05-06-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophi4ka View Post
I just read a YA fantasy/fiction by Gail Carson Levine. She wrote Ella Enchanted, apparently. Not bad.

While DS is in the kids section of the library I grab a coupla fantasy books out of the YA section. Read Golden Compass and series that way. Not bad.

Have you read all the fantasy classics already? The Lord of the Rings? Harry Potter? The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Dune?

What about Gregory Levine's retellings of fairy tails? Wicked? Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister? How about Christopher Paolini's Eragon?

I've given up, acknowledged that I'm simply a sci-fi/fantasy fan and gone with it. I like the YA books, because there's less smut and slightly less violence. And usually a happier ending. I could also get that from Christian fiction, but I find fantasy more entertaining -- probably just a further escape, but ya know. I figure if I'm gonna escape, I may as well escape to happy places.

The baby and 3yo have interrupted this a zillion times so I make no sense, I apologize.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page