twilight - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 654 Old 05-24-2009, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Danielle - I can't imagine it either. Of course, before I read BD I heard some crucial points and couldn't believe it. But after I'd read all 4 I thought that it flowed and make perfect sense. I think that a lot will depend on how NM and Eclipse lead up to it and how they sell it. This is my problem with this multiple director approach. I hope that it goes well, I really do, but I think that for people to follow such a fantastical sci fi story some cohesion of vision and style would be HUGE. Like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. The "willing suspension of disbelief" required for enjoyment of a vampire/human/werewolf love story should not be complicated by differences in style and tone. I know that Harry Potter movies have done it, but I've only seen a couple, they don't call to me like the books (I am really interested in #6 so I plan on watching the earlier ones from Netflix this summer in preparation).

I'm excited for New Moon because I love the book and although I'm not a director guru, I LOVE the movie About a Boy and Weitz directed that so I'm hopeful. Eclipse really has me scared. I have nothing against the director David Slade, but he seems to be a vampire movie guy. Eclipse is sooo emotional, but I could see that getting shortshifted for long fight scenes. Does Stephenie Meyer have any veto power?? Do authors ever? I know that she really got along well with Catherine Hardwicke but this must be stressful for her. It's hard for me as a reader to think that they'll botch the movies, I can't imagine being the author.

WOW OK Sorry for that little rant. I was just trying to say that I thought Kristen was OK as Bella for Twilight but can't imagine her in BD, but luckily she's got some time for development so hopefully she can step up and pull it off. Hopefully all of them can. (please please please) Say what you want about Pattinson, but he has a great pained face which should come in handy during the first half of BD. (Slinking off pretend that I do things in life other than obsess about Twilight - oh and Mrsboyko you can totally play Alice in our reenactment! I love her but she plays too young for an old lady like me. Obviously Bella would be fun, I relate to Esme, and if we needed it I could play Victoria!
#182 of 654 Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Honestly I don't understand why they have to change the director with every film. I was happy with the first film, mind you I saw it before I read the book.
I just started Breaking Dawn and am curious how I will find the movie a second time around.
#183 of 654 Old 05-26-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
Danielle - I can't imagine it either. Of course, before I read BD I heard some crucial points and couldn't believe it. But after I'd read all 4 I thought that it flowed and make perfect sense. I think that a lot will depend on how NM and Eclipse lead up to it and how they sell it. This is my problem with this multiple director approach. I hope that it goes well, I really do, but I think that for people to follow such a fantastical sci fi story some cohesion of vision and style would be HUGE. Like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. The "willing suspension of disbelief" required for enjoyment of a vampire/human/werewolf love story should not be complicated by differences in style and tone. I know that Harry Potter movies have done it, but I've only seen a couple, they don't call to me like the books (I am really interested in #6 so I plan on watching the earlier ones from Netflix this summer in preparation).

I'm excited for New Moon because I love the book and although I'm not a director guru, I LOVE the movie About a Boy and Weitz directed that so I'm hopeful. Eclipse really has me scared. I have nothing against the director David Slade, but he seems to be a vampire movie guy. Eclipse is sooo emotional, but I could see that getting shortshifted for long fight scenes.
KYCat, I so agree with you. I don't really understand why they had to switch directors for each film.
I don't see how they can pull of the BD either. Being a PG-13 movie, how exactly will they do the second part, with all the blood and stuff? Especially the birth scene. Also, the second part in the book was narrated by Jacob. I wonder how will they do that as well.

I also agree with you about Eclipse. It is emotional. All those dialogs. Especially between Edward and Jacob (oh the tent chapter!!! I love it). I hope they will do the tent thing in the movie. I also hope they will not make a fighting action movie out of it. In the book, only the fight between Edward and Victoria was described. But I bet in the movie they will do the whole enchilada with the wolves, Cullens and the newborns.

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#184 of 654 Old 05-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I'm excited for New Moon because I love the book and although I'm not a director guru, I LOVE the movie About a Boy and Weitz directed that so I'm hopeful. Eclipse really has me scared. I have nothing against the director David Slade, but he seems to be a vampire movie guy. Eclipse is sooo emotional, but I could see that getting shortshifted for long fight scenes. Does Stephenie Meyer have any veto power?? Do authors ever? I know that she really got along well with Catherine Hardwicke but this must be stressful for her. It's hard for me as a reader to think that they'll botch the movies, I can't imagine being the author.

WOW OK Sorry for that little rant. I was just trying to say that I thought Kristen was OK as Bella for Twilight but can't imagine her in BD, but luckily she's got some time for development so hopefully she can step up and pull it off. Hopefully all of them can. (please please please) Say what you want about Pattinson, but he has a great pained face which should come in handy during the first half of BD.
ITA! Also, I wonder how they're going to do Bella's transformation. She's supposed to look and sound almost completely different. Caking on the white makeup won't do, IMO. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll get another (ahem, better) actress.

I think the purpose of getting different directors was because of scheduling conflicts? Something like the second director had a prior commitment and wasn't available to do Eclipse. I dunno, I just hope it works out and they don't mess it up too much.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#185 of 654 Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM

if you can you should listen to the preview of the audio book on ITUNES... i cant even describe it. you have to hear it for yourself
#186 of 654 Old 05-27-2009, 01:00 PM

I would actually be really pissed if they switched actresses. Enough so that I wouldn't watch anymore of the movies.

They had to get different directors because they scheduled shooting so close together that Chris Weiz would still be in post production of New Moon when they started filming Eclipse.

, , , and
#187 of 654 Old 05-27-2009, 03:45 PM

But why didn't the director of Twilight do New Moon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
I would actually be really pissed if they switched actresses. Enough so that I wouldn't watch anymore of the movies.

They had to get different directors because they scheduled shooting so close together that Chris Weiz would still be in post production of New Moon when they started filming Eclipse.
#188 of 654 Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post
But why didnt director of Twilight do New Moon?
She wanted more time to shoot it than Summit had scheduled. I'm actually really glad they changed directors. 1) I think her directing made the movie a lot less than what it could have been. I think what has been attributed to bad acting is actually bad directing. 2) New Moon will rely on lots of special effects. Catherine Hardwick has very little experience with Special Effects, and frankly, it shows in Twilight. New Moon will be utterly ridiculous and cheesy without great special effects. Chris Weiz has oodles of experience, and that bodes well for New Moon.

, , , and
#189 of 654 Old 05-28-2009, 12:44 AM

I don't think that Catherine Hardwick was a perfect director, but I do think that she understood the emotional drive of the book. I am hopeful that Weisz can pull that off and still improve on the other elements. I am less hopeful for Slade, but I could certainly be wrong. Now that I understand the time constraints,(thanks sebarnes) I understand better the director decision because heaven knows I want the movies made NOW! (November 20 seems so far from now ) Of course I also want them done well so we'll see. Has anyone heard any word on who would do BD?
#190 of 654 Old 05-28-2009, 04:38 PM

I am now reading Breaking Dawn. I only have time to read at night, so I end up reading late even though I have to get up at 6. I love it even though
I am tired. I have not been so engrossed in a series for a while.
I agree with what many of you have said. Yes, all the books need film directors who have knowledge in special effects, however what makes these books so yummy are the interpersonal relationships. If they are turned into action or horror films the essence of the books will be lost.
#191 of 654 Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM

Jalilah - how are you coming with BD?? Has everyone else finished all 4? I remembered that this is a Twilight thread with people at different points in the books. Sorry if I've inadvertently posted any spoilers. It's just hard for me to discuss one without it flowing over into all of them.
#192 of 654 Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 PM

Don't worry about spoilers with me. I already knew what was going to happen in the end before I started the first book.

I am at the part in BD where the pack has turned against Bella and the Cullins but Jacob has defected and left the pack with Seth.

I am already thinking about what I'll read when I finish. I am not in the mood to read anything else!
I wish there were more than 4 books. As far as I am concerned the saga could go on and on....

Quote:
Jalilah - how are you coming with BD?? Has everyone else finished all 4? I remembered that this is a Twilight thread with people at different points in the books. Sorry if I've inadvertently posted any spoilers. It's just hard for me to discuss one without it flowing over into all of them.
#193 of 654 Old 05-30-2009, 07:03 PM

:

I'm finishing BD again. Third time?

I know this is the Twilight thread, but there is some fun stuff on this link.

http://www.newmoonmovie.org/

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#194 of 654 Old 05-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Wow! I had no idea that so many "grown ups" were as obsessed with the Twilight saga as me!

I have two teenaged sisters who kept recommending the books, but I claimed to be an adult therefore could not read something so silly. I reluctantly took my sisters' copy of Twilight when I was bored awaiting the birth of my dd. I couldn't put it down! In 2 weeks I had read all 4 books, plus everything on Stephanie Myers' website, and seen the movie twice! I bought the DVD when it came out.

I admit, I wish the movie could have been as good as the book, but I am SO looking forward to "New Moon"!!

Great to see that I have nothing to be ashamed about!

Wife tosuperhero.gif , Mama to The Princess (2/03-3/07) and Little Lady (3/09), Expecting #3 (10/11).  vbac.gif
#195 of 654 Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 AM

Heads up, ya'll

the first New Moon trailer is going to debut tonight during the MTV Movie Awards. I never watch MTV anymore, but I'll watch tonight
#196 of 654 Old 05-31-2009, 09:32 AM

any links for the New Moon trailer after it shows would be awesome:

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#197 of 654 Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 AM

treemom, I will totally hook you up!
#198 of 654 Old 06-01-2009, 12:16 AM

http://www.newmoonmovie.org/

scroll down, just a little

my daughter and I sat perfectly still throughout.

can't wait.
#199 of 654 Old 06-01-2009, 12:35 AM

I haven't watched an mtv awards show in years but tonight I had to go over my dad's just to see it...heehee.

Rob is so dreamy. Poor Kristen Stewart for dropping the popcorn. Do you think she did it on purpose?

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#200 of 654 Old 06-01-2009, 10:03 AM

I was mortified for her when she dropped the corn. Seemed pretty real to me. Can she really be a normal kid who is nervous as hell? I felt so bad for her.

Also, I was telling my dd (nearly 16) that I hated the Converse shoes with the dress. DD loved it. Then I realized how old I am. And what a mom I am, too.

Rob.
#201 of 654 Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Well I turned on MTV for the first time in a LOOOONNNNGGGG time to check out the trailer. (I tried to contain myself and be a good wife, so we flipped between the awards and the Stanley Cup finals). I thought the werewolf transformation was amazingly smooth and beautiful! I think that Weisz has nailed the technical aspects -- let's hope that the story is kept intact. I loved seeing the trailer, but I'm one of those people who don't like to see too much before I see a movie. With this trailer out and it's June and the movie isn't coming out until November, I'm worried that we'll see all the good stuff in little pieces before the movie comes out and it will be anti-climactic. It will be hard to avoid all of the trailers (although dh offered to watch as much sports as possible so our tv viewing would not be of shows that would have the previews ).
Oh and when Kristen dropped the popcorn, I thought it was the most Bella thing she's done! She seemed truly flustered and my heart went out to her. I don't think that it was staged. I very much enjoyed the almost kiss!!
I have a question -- when Twilight won best movie, who was the dude on the far right in the vest??????
#202 of 654 Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 PM

Loved the trailer. Taylor Lautner has definitely moved up to hot in this one.
#203 of 654 Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
Loved the trailer. Taylor Lautner has definitely moved up to hot in this one.
Uh, yeah. No 17-year-old should look that good with his shirt off... Whoo... *fans self*

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#204 of 654 Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSFMmkMfQ5Q

Here's the trailer on youtube.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#205 of 654 Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 AM

I have to admit it. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the books--I find them entertaining but don't have the same love that I have for say, Harry Potter--I am enjoying the bejeebers out of that trailer and I'm getting excited about the new movie.
#206 of 654 Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 PM

That reminds me.....How many of you have read and liked the Harry Potter series?
I am now on Breaking Dawn,the 4th book of the Twilight saga. I am thinking about what to read when I am finished.
As I said in my first post,I never in a million years would have thought of reading Twilight had I not seen to movie first. I would have never rented the movie,had my 11 year old son not asked for it and he did not particularily like the movie.He gets scared easily and prefers funny books and movies. He's also never been interested in Harry Potter so I never pushed it. I also was never interested in the series but now I think I really need something good to read once the Twilight Saga is finshed. I am dreading finishing it and I really wish there were more of them!
Any suggestions anyone?
Are there any Twilight addicits who did not like Harry Potter?
#207 of 654 Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 PM

HP didn't really speak to me. I read the first two books while I was on bedrest, and wasn't compelled to read more. Don't get me wrong, the books were good, they just didn't hook me in the way the Twilight books have. I can also say the same for Inkheart (my 10 year old DD loves them though, and is loving Inkspell, the second book). As for what to read after the last book, I'm rereading the series for the 3rd time now, but the first time straight through (I read each book 2X's in a row before moving on to the next book) so I'm no help there. I've just been reading outtakes & extras from SM's website as well as fanfic to get my fill of new material. And to think I just picked up the book because I was bored while nursing and my DD left it lying around. LOL

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#208 of 654 Old 06-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
How many of you have read and liked the Harry Potter series?
I'm reading them right now and I really do like them. They don't suck me in quite as much as the Twilight books did (do), but I'm am really enjoying them.

And I've read the whole Twilight series several times, so you could always just read them again!
#209 of 654 Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post
Are there any Twilight addicits who did not like Harry Potter?
I absolutely loved the Harry Potter books and have read all of them several times. I did not like any of the Harry Potter movies though. . .then again, usually movies are not as good as the book. I did like the Twilight movie, I went in thinking it was going to suck and I remember when we came out I was amazed and said to my friend, "wow, it didn't suck". Granted, it wasn't as good as the book, but it was pretty good.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#210 of 654 Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 PM

i love the harry potter books i read them over and over and over again. twilight has joined harry potter, the black jewels trilogy, and stephanie plum as my favorite series. if you want to stay in the child/ young adult genre harry potter is good. The Black Jewels books (IMHO) are amazing but they arent for everyone (everyone i know has liked them but i am sure there are people who dont )they aren't young adult and they are a bit dark... the first book sometimes turns people off but it is the only book of all of them that is quite that dark and shocking. i think my mom skipped like half the first book and i just summarized for her. it sort of sets the stage for the rest of the books so you know where everyone is coming from. they are way more light hearted after the first book. it is a love story though!! an amazing love story!! and its Fantasy... so sort of in the same realm as twlight .. sort of

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page