Where did you go after the Twilight books? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-19-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I completely admit that I thought the whole hoopla over the twilight books was silly. My 14 yo niece was crazy about them. If she was crazy about them then I certainly wasn't going to read them.

Well, a friend read them and loved them. Then another did. Then another. So, I picked them up and read them and LOVED them. No, they weren't literary masterpieces but, they were great, easy read adventures with romance and excitement and for me, they were completely absorbing.

So, I finished Breaking Dawn yesterday and I'm going through withdrawal! I miss the characters, I miss the story.

I tried to pick up a couple other books to read but, I just can't get into any other books.

So, for those of you whole loved the Twilight books, what did you read after them?
#2 of 21 Old 04-19-2009, 11:51 AM

She has the 1st few chapters of midnight sun on her website. (thats twilight from edwards POV)

Have you tried the house of night books? Buy p.c. cast. They are pretty good

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#3 of 21 Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM

I read her other book... The Host. I think this one could easily become a series too.. You will grow to love the characters on this one too..
#4 of 21 Old 04-19-2009, 12:29 PM

I couldn't read anything else for awhile after I finished the Twilight books, too.

Midnight Sun is very good, but it frustrates me. I want more from it, and I don't know if we'll ever see more? But still, by all means, read it.

Have you seen the movie yet? It's good Some people don't like it, but I don't get why not. (that's another discussion.)

I have recently gotten into the Charlaine Harris "Sookie Stackhouse" books. The first is called Dead Until Dawn. They're fun and easy to read.

but yeh. I know where you are coming from. interesting, isn't it, how much one can enjoy these books when at first it didn't seem probable. I told my daughter I had no interest in them, gave into her requests to read them so we could discuss them, and now I am totally "one of those people".
#5 of 21 Old 04-19-2009, 03:43 PM

The Outlander series, if you haven't read them, are interesting, fun, adventure/romance books.

gardening : SAHM to ballerina (6/15/02) and son (5/18/05) still for my husband. Independent Childbirth Educator
#6 of 21 Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Nora Roberts has a vampire series called the Circle Trilogy. Another series that is not a literary masterpiece by ANY means but I was still entertained. A lot darker/graphic than Twilight but includes another Good Guy Vampire. That is what I read after Twilight.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#7 of 21 Old 04-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susana View Post
I have recently gotten into the Charlaine Harris "Sookie Stackhouse" books. The first is called Dead Until Dawn. They're fun and easy to read.
Love these books! I just finished the third one yesterday.

I also love the Outlander books. They are in no way similar to Twilight - just saying I love them.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#8 of 21 Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 PM

Glad to find this thread!

I am re-reading the series right now, thinking about reading The Host and wondering why other books aren't as interesting to me right now as the Twilight books.

Will jot down some of these series titles and check them out at the library.

I am listening to Twilight on audio when I walk on the treadmill.

This. has. got. to. stop.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#9 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 AM

I haven't read the Twilight books (sorry, couldn't make it through the first one). But I have recently started passing on to my (college-age, Twilight lovin') cousin my Lynsay Sands' Argeneau series books. They are a vampire romance series (definitely adult romance, lots of physical intimacy). She liked the first couple so much that I've been sending her the next one as soon as she sends one back (though now that I've started putting them on my iPod Kindle reader I'm going to let her have all the books).
#10 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 12:31 PM

I read them again.

The next book I read, I had a hard time getting into. But I think I've weaned myself off my Twilight addiction now.
#11 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM

To be upfront I thought Twilight was the literary equivalent of a twinkie or snowball (I can't stand either) so take my recommendations or leave them-

I went with the Gemma Doyle trilogy starting with A Great And Terrible Beauty. IMO they are much better written. I ate them up!!

I was also going to recommend the Sookie Stackhouse books.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#12 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 03:41 PM

When I first finished the series I didnt want to read anything else for the first week or so after (it only took a few days to read the series for me). But, the first book i read after finishing the series was SM's other book, "The Host". I loved it! I really got into and she has said that she will prob. make it into a series. Warning: You really have to push through the first few chapters (which are short) before you can get into it, but once you're in you get hooked!

After that, I finally broke down and began reading the Harry Potter series which I had avoided for years. I'm on book 4 now and loving it!
#13 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 PM

I'm still having a hard time disengaging from Forks, but I've found that I don't need teenage love or vampires, just a REALLY engaging story. I strongly recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It was a lovely story that will make you want to write letters again, (not that I ever did, I'm just saying). I still want to read and reread Twilight -- I had gotten a little better and then I watched it again and now I want to reread it all. Right now it's not hard for me to read anything else, it's hard for me to not read and just be in the here and now with my family. I just want to take off to Forks and live with some vampires for a while, sigh.
#14 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 PM

:

Wow I am in the same boat! Just finished the series on Saturday and I am going through withdrawal!
#15 of 21 Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 PM

I enjoyed the Twilight series. The next series I got into was the Southern Vampiere Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse) and I LOVE them. The first book was hard for me to get through without picturing the characters from True Blood (which is based on these books) but once I did I thoroughly enjoyed the series. There are 8 out now, so should keep you busy for awhile. I am not usually into vampire books, but these are fun. Light, funny, mysterious, and... adult. Well, not trashy or anything, but they go where Twilight didn't go, if you know what I mean.

I also LOVE the Outlander series. I have been loaning out the series to my friends lately and it makes me want to read it again. I might have to get a copy for my Kindle to have myself (since I can't seem to lift up a "regular" book since I got it).
#16 of 21 Old 04-21-2009, 01:55 PM

You all need to read "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins! I could NOT put it down!!! It was amazing!! It's the first in a trilogy!

I'm getting ready to read "The Host" and then I want to move on to the Sookie Stackhouse books! I love these suggestions!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#17 of 21 Old 04-21-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell View Post
I enjoyed the Twilight series. The next series I got into was the Southern Vampiere Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse) and I LOVE them. The first book was hard for me to get through without picturing the characters from True Blood (which is based on these books) but once I did I thoroughly enjoyed the series.
We just got a free couple months of HBO, so I turned on True Blood the other night. Can i just say EEEEWWWWW!!!? The few minutes I watched, I thought Bill and Eric were nothing like as handsome as the books. I did love Anna Paquin, but the whole tone/atmosphere of the show seemed really dark and gross and graphically violent. The whole reason I love the Sookie Stackhouse books is that they're light and funny. Well, and adult. Hey, I've been curious about vampire sex ever since I read the Lestat books in college.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#18 of 21 Old 04-21-2009, 09:54 PM

AuntNi, I agree with everything you said about True Blood. I just watched for the first time last Friday night.
I didn't get the hots for either Bill or Eric. But Jason is a whole 'nother story!
I like the books way more than the show

luckily, in regards to Twilight, I was able to transfer my hots for Edward in the book to the Edward on the silver screen (and back again)
#19 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 PM

Southern Vampire series. Sookie Stackhouse!

I also read The Host
#20 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Two books I read upon the recommendation of people here were Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett. The first one was better, but the second one was pretty good. It had the Bubonic Plague, which was interesting, and also more graphic violence that I just had to skip (and would advise others to skip). I think ultimately it was a less satisfying, in part because of the Black death and it's ability to nip long drawn out storylines in the bud, and also because he didn't want to completely parallel the first story, even though they are very similar, he tried to make the characters do different things that I found annoying. But if you want characters you can get attached to, I think Pillars of the Earth is pretty good for that.
#21 of 21 Old 04-24-2009, 01:56 AM
crl

Well, I actually read them first (and still like them better than the Twilight books), but you might check out the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page