Love Comes Softly - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-20-2009, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone read this series? I bought the whole series and am on the second book right now. I also recently watched Love Comes Softly (the movie) and loved it. This series reminds me of little house on the Prairie and when I read the books it makes me wish I had lived during that time. Such a simple time compared to today.

Does anyone know of any other books that are similiar to the love comes softly series?!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#2 of 15 Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 AM

That sounds like a lovely series. I think I'm going to pick it up.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that would be similar.
#3 of 15 Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 AM

I read that series until it almost fell apart as a teenager and just recently re-read it for the first time in almost 10 years. It's such a sweet series. She has another series (shorter, only 4 books) that I really enjoyed called Canadian West about a teacher who moves to Alberta then to the far north. If you like her writing you might also enjoy Lori Wick.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#4 of 15 Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 PM

Janette Oke (the author of Love Comes Softly) has quite a few books, several series. They are all very good. I have read and re-read all of them. I would also recommend the Mitford Series by Jan Karon. It's not the same time period, but they are simple, charming, the same kind of vibe.

Me and DP, No children yet, but we plan on having kids someday. I'm trying to lose weight and get fit. Ask if I've done my push-ups this week.
#5 of 15 Old 04-21-2009, 09:37 PM

i love those books Janette Oke has more books that are amazing too

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#6 of 15 Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 PM

I loved that movie! I haven't read the books.

I listened to one of the Mitford series books on tape and agree it was charming.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#7 of 15 Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindoula View Post
I read that series until it almost fell apart as a teenager and just recently re-read it for the first time in almost 10 years. It's such a sweet series. She has another series (shorter, only 4 books) that I really enjoyed called Canadian West about a teacher who moves to Alberta then to the far north. If you like her writing you might also enjoy Lori Wick.
I was going to recommend these books as well, the Canadian West one was awesome. I love her style of writing, and have read tons of her books, never been disappointed. If you like her you might also like books by Beverly Lewis, she writes mostly about the Amish which I just love. Her series, Abrahms Daughters was really great, she also has several series.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#8 of 15 Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I read them as a young teen and liked them pretty well, along with other Janette Oke books. I think I'd loathe them these days. If you like 'em your children might like some of her kids' books: Spunky's Diary is about a dog, Ducktales is about a duck, and I vaguely recall three more about a turtle, a hedgehog and a bear. No idea how old your daughters are, but those books are for 8-12-year-olds.. ish... I think. It's been a while!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#9 of 15 Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 AM

I read her whole series as a kid, and I was disappointed that the movie didn't match the book EXACTLY.
#10 of 15 Old 04-24-2009, 02:37 AM

Is this the movie they show on the Hallmark Channel?

I think there is an entire series of them. I watched them recently when DD and I were sick and she was spending a lot of time sleeping.

Sweet movies!

I've never read the books though. How do they compare to the film?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#11 of 15 Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCoupongirl View Post
I read her whole series as a kid, and I was disappointed that the movie didn't match the book EXACTLY.
Or, to be more precise, that they don't match the books even remotely! Sweet movies, but I tend to think of them as alternate universes: same names, totally different histories.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#12 of 15 Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw the Hallmark Channel film of the same name. It was a sweet story. So I take it the book(s) are better? How so?

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#13 of 15 Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM

They are more historically accurate for one thing, but the movies weren't glaringly off so that's not really a big deal. The books expound more on the lives of the characters and are much richer. They also follow a significantly different time line, starting with the fact that Clark and Marty are actually fairly close in age and that Missie is only about 18 months old when Marty meets them, and that Clark had only VERY recently been widowed (widowered?). The movies and the books just seem to separate a bit more with each sequel after that so that the last one is really enjoyable, just not all that related to the narrative of the book. It's hard to be specific without giving away too many details about the story.

#14 of 15 Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 PM

I read the book because we live about 15 minutes from where the movie was made. The set was in the middle of public trails. We hike out the the set all the time and the kids love to run around in the "old cabin". It was a very sweet story.
#15 of 15 Old 04-30-2009, 02:24 PM

I love this series, I have read it many, many times. I also really enjoy her Seasons of the Heart series along with most all of the individual stories that make up the Women of the West series.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page