May 2009 Book Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 192 Old 05-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Godmother by Carrie Adams

This book took me by surprise. I was expecting another light chick lit book and this was not one. While the premise has all the makings of that genre (the main character is godmother to four kids but has no family of her own), it ends up being much deeper. The book deals with stalking, marital infidelity, infertility, miscarriage, death and other deeper subjects. The ending was even better than I expected -- not perfectly tied in a bow.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#62 of 192 Old 05-14-2009, 11:02 PM

I have had so little time to read lately, but I think our lives are going to settle down a little, for awhile, anyhow. I have been able to listen to books, luckily.

Eragon - I wasn't too far into this when I realized I have already seen the movie. Oh well, I listened to all 20 something hours of it. It was good enough to finish the book, but not good enough to finish the series. It's incredible that the author was only 20 when this was published!

Feed - This was really excellent. I had no idea what it was about, just downloaded it on a whim. My favourite line is, when they are visiting the filet mignon farm and seeing them grow with blood being pumped in etc., the main character says he likes to know where his food comes from. LOL
#63 of 192 Old 05-14-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post

Feed - This was really excellent. I had no idea what it was about, just downloaded it on a whim. My favourite line is, when they are visiting the filet mignon farm and seeing them grow with blood being pumped in etc., the main character says he likes to know where his food comes from. LOL
I loved that book too.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#64 of 192 Old 05-15-2009, 08:43 AM

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

I don't mean to be on a Barbara Kingsolver kick, but after reading Animal Vegetable Miracle, I realized I had started Prodigal Summer before and not finished it. It's really a delightful novel, set in southern Appalachia and revolving around a group of neighbors and relatives. The two old neighbors who are bickering over various issues are hilarious. And there's a lot of info about the ecology of that region woven in.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#65 of 192 Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 PM

#21 The Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley

Buckley writes amusing satires, and this book is no different. Not quite as biting and humorous as Thank You For Smoking, it, nonetheless, is still amusing and fun to read. It is perhaps more amusing if you know a bit about the Supreme Court Justices and their fobiles. So, maybe, reading Toobin's The Nine would be a good primer.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#66 of 192 Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 AM

How to Be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward

A family with a host of secrets completely falls apart when five-year-old Ellie goes missing. Years later, the family is still struggling with the emotions of losing a child. I read this in one day -- not only is it a quick read but I was intrigued by the characters.

(1-04) (8-09)
#67 of 192 Old 05-16-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post

I didn't love this when I read it, (but thought it was good) but it's sure stuck with me since then and I think about it in various situations -- like when I have to wear a headset at work and am struggling to talk to a customer with the background conversations happening in my ear. : Seriously, I think of Feed everytime.

#52 Revenge of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz
I really like her humor, though I know it's not for everyone. The third in her series about Isabel Spellman, a private investigator, and her whacked out family and friends.

#53 Wrack and Ruin by Don Lee
Lyndon Song is a Brussels sprout farmer in CA, estranged from his brother, and once famous sculptor who has kept his fame a secret from everyone in his small town. This was good, but I think my enjoyment was affected by knowing that Revenge of the Spellmans was up next! For book club in a few weeks..
#68 of 192 Old 05-17-2009, 02:21 AM

A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell

This was a historical fiction novel about about Jewish people in Italy during WWII. After loving The Sparrow so much, I wanted to read another book by this author but I have to say, this one did not measure up. The writing was still great and it was a good subject but there were so many characters and we never really got to get close to any of them to really care enough -- I mean the stuff that happens is awful but it seemed so impersonal . . . I wanted to feel the story more.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#69 of 192 Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 AM

#54 A Certain Justice by P.D. James
Another in the Adam Dalgliesh series. Just good British mysteries. This one is set in the world of law in London.
#70 of 192 Old 05-17-2009, 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Bufomander;13776380]I didn't love this when I read it, (but thought it was good) but it's sure stuck with me since then and I think about it in various situations -- like when I have to wear a headset at work and am struggling to talk to a customer with the background conversations happening in my ear. : Seriously, I think of Feed everytime.

Once again, I think the reader of this book made the difference from it being a good book to being a great book. I don't know if I would have liked it as much had I only read it.
#71 of 192 Old 05-17-2009, 09:53 PM

Elizabeth and Her German Garden by Elizabeth Von Arnim

Though the layout of this reproduction is ugly in the extreme, the book (text) itself is wonderful. I love the author's sense of humor. My favorite are the descriptions of the dour governess:

"Why does your governess look so gloomy? When I see her at luncheon I always imagine she must have just heard that somebody is dead. But she can't hear that every day."

". . . the strain of continually having to set an example must surely be very great. It is much easier, and often more pleasant, to be a warning than an example . . "

The funny observations and descriptions of her family, friends, and her luscious garden are a joy to read. For anyone that loved Enchanted April -- I recommend this book as well.

#72 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 09:31 AM

Slumdog Millionaire: A Novel by Vikas Swarup

It probably helps that I haven't seen the movie yet. Other reviews seem to point to it being nothing like the movie and perhaps not as good. On its own, this is a good book. Ram is a poor waiter when he wins the top prize on a quiz show. Because he is so poor, the contest sponsors assume he has cheated. A lawyer comes to his aid and he relays how his life experience's helped him to answer the questions. I had a little trouble keeping track of the timeline because his stories are not in chronological, but rather question order. I am more intrigued to see the movie now.

(1-04) (8-09)
#73 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM

#6 Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

I read this book totally wrong. I assumed that it was fiction, a novel, and read and critiqued it (harshly) as such. I thought, "Man, the narrative arch is practically missing. There are so many tangents and irrelevant characters. What poor organization of a novel! This needs to be much, much tighter and follow the plot more closely."

Then I finished it and read the back of the book (I never read the back before reading the book - I like surprises), and realized it's nonfiction. A "true-crime" book.

I would have gone into it totally differently if I'd known that. And probably would have appreciated it and enjoyed it a lot more.

One thing's for certain, though: I now want to visit Savannah.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#74 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
Slumdog Millionaire: A Novel by Vikas Swarup

It probably helps that I haven't seen the movie yet. Other reviews seem to point to it being nothing like the movie and perhaps not as good. On its own, this is a good book. Ram is a poor waiter when he wins the top prize on a quiz show. Because he is so poor, the contest sponsors assume he has cheated. A lawyer comes to his aid and he relays how his life experience's helped him to answer the questions. I had a little trouble keeping track of the timeline because his stories are not in chronological, but rather question order. I am more intrigued to see the movie now.
We just saw the movie last night -- it was great--though very intense and violent. I saw in the credits afterwards that it was based on a novel and was thinking to read it.

#75 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
#76 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
We just saw the movie last night -- it was great--though very intense and violent. I saw in the credits afterwards that it was based on a novel and was thinking to read it.
I think you will enjoy the book. I rented the movie because I am so far back in the queue at the library that I will probably get the 10-year anniversary edition. The Blockbuster worker was quite pleased with my rental choice.

(1-04) (8-09)
#77 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM

I just started Pride and Prejudice and Zombies . . . loving it already.

#78 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Isn't it great?

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#79 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post

I read this book totally wrong. I assumed that it was fiction, a novel, and read and critiqued it (harshly) as such. I thought, "Man, the narrative arch is practically missing. There are so many tangents and irrelevant characters. What poor organization of a novel! This needs to be much, much tighter and follow the plot more closely."

Then I finished it and read the back of the book (I never read the back before reading the book - I like surprises), and realized it's nonfiction. A "true-crime" book.

I would have gone into it totally differently if I'd known that. And probably would have appreciated it and enjoyed it a lot more.

I had no idea either ... I thought it was a fiction novel. Who knew? Though, as nonfiction, it seems like "creative nonfiction" or a "nonfiction novel," though, kind of like Capote or Sedaris. You know?

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#80 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post

hahahaha! i knew that going in, and some of the tangents/lack of focus still bothered me, LOL! i did appreciate it some, though. the characters were certainly interesting/entertaining, to say the least. i've put the movie on my netfilx queue now, and i too want to visit savannah now!

semi-crunchy mama to 1 unschooly, sometimes unruly, but mostly sweet and cool DS (17)
student reiki practitioner and aspiring /
#81 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, I can't wait to get this from the library! I'm about 400th in line though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell

Powell is an uninspired secretary for a government agency in New York when she decides to cook her way through Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and blog about it. The blog becomes popular and Powell finds herself in her fifteen minutes of fame.

Several reviewers found Julie to be whiny in this book. While I can see what they mean, I am not sure if I totally agree. I think that complaining is part of her humor and I can relate. What I can't relate to is wanting to eat any of the food from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". Gak. What inspires people to want to eat brains, kidneys and livers? It bothered me that Child was very dismissive of Powell because she (Powell) seemed to have a lot of admiration for her (Child).
I just put this on my to read list. Sounds interesting. Despite the brains, kidneys and livers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
Remember when so many of us read The Book of Lost Things by John Connelly?

I would love to read another of his books, does anyone have any recommendations? He seems to have quite a few books......
Quoting myself to see if anyone has any suggestions yet

I'm reading a little stack of books right now (Animal Dreams, Just Do It, The Serpent Box, Real Food), jumping around b/c our house has been so messy lately, I can never lay my hands on one specific book. Yikes.
#82 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I went out and bought it cause I was tired of waiting.

Quote:
I just put this on my to read list. Sounds interesting. Despite the brains, kidneys and livers
I liked that one too.

Quote:
Quoting myself to see if anyone has any suggestions yet
I haven't read any other by Connolly.

#83 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I had no idea either ... I thought it was a fiction novel. Who knew? Though, as nonfiction, it seems like "creative nonfiction" or a "nonfiction novel," though, kind of like Capote or Sedaris. You know?
Totally.
Quote:
i've put the movie on my netfilx queue now
I want to see it too.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#84 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
It just dawned on me that that comment could have been about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies just as well as Julie and Julia!

#85 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I'm 401 in line! Gotta love Seattle Public Libraries.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#86 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 PM

The Reader

I just read it today and really enjoyed it. I've been wanting to see the movie but prefer to read the book first.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#87 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I guess it's kind of hard to misspell May, unless we want to do the Yam 2009 Book Challenge. Sorry to disappoint
How about "Meh?"

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

#88 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmom View Post
How about "Meh?"
I was thinking "Amy"

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#89 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 10:17 PM

I feel like I've slowed down (if that's possible) The weather has started to improve here in the northeast US and ds, dh and I have been outside from after work to bedtime. By the time I eat, clean up, read stories to ds, and get him to sleep, I'm ready for bed myself.

Guess I just have to gear up for some good old easy beach-reading this summer...any suggestions?

1. T is For Tresspass - Sue Grafton completed 1/3/09
2. Marley and Me - John Grogan completed 1/13/09
3. A Thousand Splendid Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini completed 1/22/09
4. Harvesting the Heart - Jodi Picoult completed 2/2/09
5. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer completed 2/10/09
6. New Moon - Stephenie Meyer completed 2/18/09
7. Knit Two - Kate Jacobs completed 2/27/09
8. The Last Days of Dogtown - Anita Diamant completed 3/4/09
9. Dewey - Vickie Myron completed 3/10/09
10. Queen of Babble - Meg Cabot completed 3/17/09
11. Trans-Sister Radio - Chris Bohjalian completed 3/30/09
12. The Secret Supper - Javier Sierra completed 4/15/09
13. The Shack -Wm Paul Young completed 4/30/09
14. Lipstick Jungle - Candace Bushnell completed 5/15/09 (I was on vacation, I needed a good story that didn't take a lot of thinking!)

Just started The Law of Similars by Chris Bohjalian

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

#90 of 192 Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
The Reader

I just read it today and really enjoyed it. I've been wanting to see the movie but prefer to read the book first.
Glad to hear you liked it, it is my on "need to read list"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page