May 2009 Book Challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
31. A Long Way from Chicago - Richard Peck

YA/Short Stories - This was a GREAT book, and I'm not usually a big fan of the short story. The premise is that Joey and Mary Alice, two kids from Chicago, are sent to their Grandma's for one week every summer starting in 1929. There is a story for each visit, going through I believe 1942 (although there is not a story for every single year). Grandma lives in rural Illinois, and doesn't want anybody in her business. She is an amazing, larger-than-life character who goes about doing her own form of justice in interesting ways. She's not a huggy, laughing kind of grandma, but a strong one who teaches them interesting lessons - so interesting, that the kids are afraid to tell their parents about them, lest they decide to stop sending them for the (once-dreaded) visits. Really interesting look the depression in the Midwest, and how people coped.

I can't wait to read the sequel, where Mary Alice is sent to live with Grandma for a whole year (A Year Down Yonder). Off to request it at the library!

1. One Foot In the Grave - Jeaniene Frost 2. Shadow Kiss - Richelle Mead 3. Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooling Life - Rue Kream 4. Lord of Misrule (Morganville Vampires, Book 5) - Rachel Caine 5. Sunshine - Robin McKinley 6. Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) - Jim Butcher 7. Magic to the Bone - Devon Monk 8. Bone Crossed - Patricia Briggs 9. Impossible - Nancy Werlin 10. I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone - Stephanie Kuehnert 11. Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand - Carrie Vaughn 12. At Grave's End (Night Huntress, Book 3) - Jeaniene Frost 13. Beguilement (The Sharing Knife, Volume One) - Lois McMaster Bujold 14. Legacy (The Sharing Knife, Volume Two) - Lois McMaster Bujold 15. Passage (The Sharing Knife, Volume Three) - Lois McMaster Bujold 16. White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, Book 7) - Kim Harrison 17. The Official Ubuntu Book, 3rd Ed - Benjamin Mako Hill, et al 18. Graceling - Kristin Cashore 19. Holidays are Hell: "Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel" - Kim Harrison 20. Dates From Hell: "Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil" - Kim Harrison 21. Hunted (House of Night, Book 5) - P.C. and Kristin Cast 22. Hotter Than Hell: "Dirty Magic" - Kim Harrison 23. Greywalker - Kat Richardson 24. Horizon (The Sharing Knife, Volume 4) - Lois McMaster Bujold 25. Taking Charge of Your Fertility - Toni Weschler 26. The Girl Who Could Fly - Victoria Forester 27. Those Left Behind (Serenity, Vol. 1) - Joss Whedon, et al 28. Scent of Shadows(Signs of the Zodiac #1) - Vicki Petterson 29. Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse #9) - Charlaine Harris 30. Crouching Vampire, Hidden Fang (Dark Ones) - Katie MacAlister 31. A Long Way from Chicago - Richard Peck

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 08:24 PM

Life of Pi
still trying to figure out how i feel about this book. I listened to it in the car and it was very interesting story about an Indian boy who gets lost at sea after his family's cargo ship sinks. He has lost everything, except a few wild animals. There were definitely philosophical ponderings which were interesting and of course thought provoking...but im not certain its a book that is as great as some (elsewhere) have reviewed. I don't know though..i could be wrong and feel different next week. It was a good book...very amusing and sensational story.

1. Club Dead, Charlaine Harris. #3 of the Southern Vampire Series.
2. Dead to the World #4 of the Southern Vampire Series.
3. Dead as a Doornail, book #5 of teh Southern Vampire Series.
4. Holidays on Ice, David Sedaris.
5. Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins.
6. Life as We Knew It
7. Definitely Dead #6 of the Southern Vampire Series.
8. A Thousand Splendid Sunsets
9. All Together Dead #7 of the Southern Vampire Series
10.Graceling
11. David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall.
12. Star Beast, Robert Heinlein
13. Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
14. When You Are Engulfed In Flames, David Sedaris
15. From Dead to Worse, #8 Southern Vampire Series
16. Animal Vegetable Miracle
17. Pride and Prejudice, Austin
18. Harry Potter #2
19. The Big Over Easy, a Nursery Crime, Jasper Fforde
20. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Old 05-24-2009, 01:52 AM

#23 Storm Front by Jim Butcher

This is the first book in the Dresden Files, and I definitely want to read the next 11 or so. This series is about a wizard named Harry Dresden--you can look him up, he's in the phone book in Chicago. He's a PI and also consults for the police department on occasion.

This is urban fantasy and has some pretty witty dialogue, and at least so far, an interesting world mythos.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:47 AM

#55 The School of Essential Ingredients
#56 The Graveyard Book
Old 05-24-2009, 12:57 PM

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I am rereading this in anticipation of P&P&Z, which I should get within six weeks from our local library. It has been years since reading it in highschool, but I was surprised how much I remembered (hey, I'm the one who just read Eragon without remembering that I watched the movie only two years ago!) I found it was slow starting but I felt so satisfied by the end. Ahhhh.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:37 PM

#26 - The Unredeemed Captive by John Demos

This is a nonfiction book focusing on Puritan family captured in a raid by French and (primarily) Indians in the early 18th century, focusing in particular on a daughter of the family, 7 year old Eunice Williams, who was adopted into the community of Kahnawake, married there, and refused to return.

This was fascinating! While the historical record is a bit spotty, Demos puts in in context sensitively. I learned a lot about a period and place that I haven't studied much. Very readable.

He used "danger quotes" to excess, however, which was a bit annoying!
Old 05-24-2009, 04:33 PM

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

I spent 6 of the last twelve hours reading it. Highly addictive.

Though I only decided to read it because my 10yo has been begging to read it and I wanted to see if it was okay for her. I need some other opinions. She's a very advanced reader, has read the Harry Potter series, Lemony Snicket, Vampirates, etc. This definitely has a more romantic bent than anything she's read, even though there was nothing obscene. She was in 7th/8th grade classes this year, so all her friends were of course totally obsessed with Twilight and that's why she wants to read it. Thoughts?

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

Old 05-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
31. A Long Way from Chicago - Richard Peck

I can't wait to read the sequel, where Mary Alice is sent to live with Grandma for a whole year (A Year Down Yonder). Off to request it at the library!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post

This is the first book in the Dresden Files, and I definitely want to read the next 11 or so. This series is about a wizard named Harry Dresden--you can look him up, he's in the phone book in Chicago. He's a PI and also consults for the police department on occasion.

This is urban fantasy and has some pretty witty dialogue, and at least so far, an interesting world mythos.
put these three on hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
Life of Pi
still trying to figure out how i feel about this book. I listened to it in the car and it was very interesting story about an Indian boy who gets lost at sea after his family's cargo ship sinks. He has lost everything, except a few wild animals. There were definitely philosophical ponderings which were interesting and of course thought provoking...but im not certain its a book that is as great as some (elsewhere) have reviewed. I don't know though..i could be wrong and feel different next week. It was a good book...very amusing and sensational story.

1. Club Dead, Charlaine Harris. #3 of the Southern Vampire Series.
2. Dead to the World #4 of the Southern Vampire Series.
3. Dead as a Doornail, book #5 of teh Southern Vampire Series.
4. Holidays on Ice, David Sedaris.
5. Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins.
6. Life as We Knew It
7. Definitely Dead #6 of the Southern Vampire Series.
8. A Thousand Splendid Sunsets
9. All Together Dead #7 of the Southern Vampire Series
10.Graceling
11. David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall.
12. Star Beast, Robert Heinlein
13. Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
14. When You Are Engulfed In Flames, David Sedaris
15. From Dead to Worse, #8 Southern Vampire Series
16. Animal Vegetable Miracle
17. Pride and Prejudice, Austin
18. Harry Potter #2
19. The Big Over Easy, a Nursery Crime, Jasper Fforde
20. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
I wasn't stunned by its awesomeness either.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
#26 - The Unredeemed Captive by John Demos

This is a nonfiction book focusing on Puritan family captured in a raid by French and (primarily) Indians in the early 18th century, focusing in particular on a daughter of the family, 7 year old Eunice Williams, who was adopted into the community of Kahnawake, married there, and refused to return.

This was fascinating! While the historical record is a bit spotty, Demos puts in in context sensitively. I learned a lot about a period and place that I haven't studied much. Very readable.

He used "danger quotes" to excess, however, which was a bit annoying!
I don't think I know what danger quotes are....
Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

I spent 6 of the last twelve hours reading it. Highly addictive.

Though I only decided to read it because my 10yo has been begging to read it and I wanted to see if it was okay for her. I need some other opinions. She's a very advanced reader, has read the Harry Potter series, Lemony Snicket, Vampirates, etc. This definitely has a more romantic bent than anything she's read, even though there was nothing obscene. She was in 7th/8th grade classes this year, so all her friends were of course totally obsessed with Twilight and that's why she wants to read it. Thoughts?
Beth -- after reading it yourself, what are you thinking? Could you read it with her, like at night or as a special time together? If she was reading it on her own, do you think it would suck her in (as it did you) or would it not be that interesting to her.... Just thinking out loud.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:02 AM

42. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

I enjoyed it enough, but there's too many other books in my TBR pile to be reading all the sequels.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I am rereading this in anticipation of P&P&Z, which I should get within six weeks from our local library. It has been years since reading it in highschool, but I was surprised how much I remembered (hey, I'm the one who just read Eragon without remembering that I watched the movie only two years ago!) I found it was slow starting but I felt so satisfied by the end. Ahhhh.
I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it (my first time).

The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields

This was just laying around my house and I couldn't get to the library so I picked it up (gotta read something while nursing my babe), and I'm glad I did. It won the Pulitzer in 1993 or thereabouts. It is short but pretty heavy. It's written as a mixed biography/autobiography of a woman of the 20th century, born in Canada but spending much of her life in the US. Shields writes beautifully and has a knack for letting small details reveal her characters. I really enjoyed it.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:47 AM

about halfway through...
#57 Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World by Michael Pollan
Good stuff -- I'm fascinated by what he had to say about Johnny Appleseed
Old 05-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
I don't think I know what danger quotes are....
Ah-ha! Random quotes around things for no reason that make it look like you didn't really mean the word or phrase in question.

Like if I said that I recently "read" a "book," you'd go hey, does she mean she only leafed through it, or that it was so bad it didn't qualify as a "book," or was it really a magazine - what did the danger quotes mean??

The author kept randomly putting quotes around things for no reason, and I was really conscious of it while I was reading it.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:31 PM

#24 Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

Second in the Dresden Files and just as enjoyable as the first.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was interviewed by one of the local papers about the impact of potential losing our school libraries . . . if you want to read it.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
Ah-ha! Random quotes around things for no reason that make it look like you didn't really mean the word or phrase in question.

Like if I said that I recently "read" a "book," you'd go hey, does she mean she only leafed through it, or that it was so bad it didn't qualify as a "book," or was it really a magazine - what did the danger quotes mean??

The author kept randomly putting quotes around things for no reason, and I was really conscious of it while I was reading it.
That's what I would've guessed, though I've never heard them called that. I wonder why the author used them so much -- it seems strange to me, especially in a non-fiction work -- do you think he was trying to distance himself from the words he was using somehow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
I was interviewed by one of the local papers about the impact of potential losing our school libraries . . . if you want to read it.
Good stuff, Cathe.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
Beth -- after reading it yourself, what are you thinking? Could you read it with her, like at night or as a special time together? If she was reading it on her own, do you think it would suck her in (as it did you) or would it not be that interesting to her.... Just thinking out loud.
Well, it was definitely sensual and seductive in some places, but I'm not sure if most of that would just go right over her head. I never read Vampirates, and she's trying to convince me that those were pretty romantic. I like the idea of reading it aloud. That would be a fun summer activity for us, then maybe we could watch the movie when we're done. Thanks!

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

Old 05-26-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post

I am so putting this on my list!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM

The Abstinence Teacher, Perotta

Quote:
Perrotta's sixth book takes on the war between the liberals and the evangelists. When single mother Ruth Ramsay, the sex ed teacher at the local high school, tells her class that oral sex can be enjoyable, the Tabernacle of the Gospel Truth church begins its crusade. Believable or not, the school agrees to an abstinence curriculum and in marches JoAnn Marlowe with her blonde hair and pumps to instill in Ruth the tenets of the new program. Gone are the days of rolling a condom over a cucumber; now Ruth is required to promote restraint, which she does wearily and halfheartedly.
(audio) Perotta has written an insightful look into a suburban community where two polar opposites collide. An exploration of how faith affects actions, and an interesting insight into an evangelical church.

Under the Banner of Heaven, Krakauer

Quote:
Ron and Dan Lafferty murdered the wife and infant daughter of their younger brother Allen. The crimes were noteworthy not merely for their brutality but for the brothers' claim that they were acting on direct orders from God. [Krakauer] tells the story of the killers and their crime but also explores the shadowy world of Mormon fundamentalism...while the mainstream church attempted to be more palatable to the general public by rejecting the controversial tenet of polygamy, fundamentalist splinter groups saw this as apostasy and took to the hills to live what they believed to be a righteous life.
Interesting book to read at the same time as the Abstinence Teacher, though totally unintentional. Krakauer looks at the extremes of religious faith and traces the history of Mormonism. Though I didn't like it as much as Into Thin Air, it was an interesting perspective.

#1 Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, #2 Moosewood Restaurant New Classics, #3 Autobiography of God, #4 The Ghost Orchid, #5 The Poe Shadow, #6 Knit One Kill Two, #7 Citizen Girl, #8 The Fourth Bear, #9 The Third Secret, #10 Change of Heart, #11 Guardian Angels, #12 The Gore, #13 The Undomestic Goddess, #14 From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil T. Frankweiler, #15 Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, #16 Blood Memory, #17 A Thousand Splendid Suns, #18 Then we Came to the End, #19 - Feed, #20 - Paper Towns, #21 - The Sparrow, #22 - Swim, Bike, Run, #23 Field Notes from a Catastrophe, #24 Pillars of the Earth, #25 The Geographer's Library, #26 Lady Killer, #27 Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, #28 The Abstinence Teacher, #29 Under the Banner of Heaven
Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
Well, it was definitely sensual and seductive in some places, but I'm not sure if most of that would just go right over her head. I never read Vampirates, and she's trying to convince me that those were pretty romantic. I like the idea of reading it aloud. That would be a fun summer activity for us, then maybe we could watch the movie when we're done. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 PM

Daughter of Heaven: A Memoir with Earthly Recipes by Leslie Li

A family memoir told through stories of food. I enjoyed the book but didn't love it. She does a great job of describing the dynamics in the relationship between herself and her father. There were times when I got a little lost following who was who -- but it might have been more my own fault.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 05-26-2009, 03:34 PM

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

I imagine most of you have read this or at least heard about it. It's as good as everyone has been saying. So inspiring to hear how one person really can make a huge difference.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

I imagine most of you have read this or at least heard about it. It's as good as everyone has been saying. So inspiring to hear how one person really can make a huge difference.
I listened to it on audio and while I appreciate what he did -- I didn't like the book. Maybe it was the narrator.

(1-04) (8-09)
Old 05-27-2009, 12:41 AM

Funny you say that -- I tried to read it once before and just couldn't get into the writing. This time--partly because I was writing an article about a boy that started a Pennies for Peace drive at my kids school so I wanted to know the background--I pushed past the writing and read it. There were parts where I'd be really into the book and others where the writing really bothered me . . .

Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM

The Red Leather Diary: Reclaiming a Life through the Pages of a Lost Journal by Lily Koppel

The true story of a young reporter who discovers the diary of a young girl from 1920s and 30s New York in a dumpster outside her apartment. The diarist Florence Wolfson writes about her life from age 14 to 19. She is overly obsessed with her appearance and considers herself to be an artist - not unlike a teen girl today. I loved "seeing" NYC through her eyes.

(1-04) (8-09)
Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 PM

#21 Salamander's Dream by Hope Larson

A short graphic novel about a young girl's friendship with a salamander in the forest. I liked the artwork.

#22 Real Food For Mother and Baby by Nina Planck

I really liked this book. She talks a lot about the Weston A Price diet, and how the industrialization of our diet is the problem, not fats, etc. I've sort of always felt that instinctually, so it's nice to read about it. Her commentary on foods for fertility and pregnancy and introducing foods to baby is pretty good too. Her examination of how the baby develops during pregnancy and birth and breastmilk, etc is pretty cool too. I wish her Farmer's Market Cookbook was still in print. I saw it for about $60 on amazon.

Have you read this Cathe? I was thinking about you and your book when I perused this one. BTW, I'm so excited to get cooking on some of those recipes of yours!

Oh, and Pennies for Peace, I've been trying to convince my daughter's preschool class to do this! I too liked the Three Cups of Tea book mostly for the subject matter, not necessarily for the writing. I did sort of plod through it at times.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post

#22 Real Food For Mother and Baby by Nina Planck

I really liked this book. She talks a lot about the Weston A Price diet, and how the industrialization of our diet is the problem, not fats, etc. I've sort of always felt that instinctually, so it's nice to read about it. Her commentary on foods for fertility and pregnancy and introducing foods to baby is pretty good too. Her examination of how the baby develops during pregnancy and birth and breastmilk, etc is pretty cool too. I wish her Farmer's Market Cookbook was still in print. I saw it for about $60 on amazon.

Have you read this Cathe?
Uh uh -- I'll have to check it out.

Quote:
I was thinking about you and your book when I perused this one. BTW, I'm so excited to get cooking on some of those recipes of yours!
Did it arrive yet?

Quote:
Oh, and Pennies for Peace, I've been trying to convince my daughter's preschool class to do this!
That would be great -- I don't think it was very hard to put together. All the stuff you need is on the Web site.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:31 PM

Oh yes! It did arrive! I knew there was something I was forgetting to post

I'm all excited about it Thank you!

I'm also reading Nina Planck's other book, Real Food. Same bent, traditional regional omnivore diet is good for you, new industrial foods are not.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM

#23 Ten Poems To Change Your Life by Roger Housden

I liked this. I've been wanting to read some poetry, and it was nice to have some interpretation along with the poems, even if I didn't always agree with what he thought.

User Tag List