Old 05-01-2009, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Spring has sprung

The grass has ris

I wonder where

All the readers is?

Welcome to May's Challenge. Time to do a little spring cleaning and clear all the books you've been wanting to read off the shelves of the library or bookstore or your own shelves. I know that's what I will be doing, now that finals are over and I finally have my bachelor's degree, I will spend the summer reading what I want to read, instead of what is assigned to me to read.

Anyway...

Now, repeat after me...

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), new and improved guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

So, with that, avante and a happy reading May to everyone!

2008's Threads can be found HERE
January's Thread can be found HERE
February's Thread can be found HERE
March's Thread can be found HERE
April's Thread can be found HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks NCD.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 05-01-2009, 12:30 PM

I'm starting the Time Traveller's Wife today.

April Books:
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
The Red Scarf
Water for Elephants
Handle With Care
Picture Perfect
The Road
A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Red Tent
Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM

I like your May poem NCD

I'm just about to finish A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg. I've really been enjoying it. I also just got a bunch of poetry books from the library, not sure why they struck my fancy all of a sudden, but can't wait to start flipping through them.

I'm also reading The Hemingses of Monticello; it's interesting but a little scholarly for my mood right now.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Rope Burns by FX Toole
this book of 6 short stories about boxing includes "million dollar baby", which was made into a film with Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood. they are not for everyone, for sure.
i am a bit embarassed and confused by the allure of boxing for me. eventually i will write an eloquent collection of literary essays about how a granola-eating, peace-loving, meditation-practicing mama like myself can get immense pleasure out of slamming a heavy bag.
meanwhile, please PM me if you know other good boxing books

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 05-01-2009, 02:30 PM

I just had to register my disappointment: where is this month's misspelled title, NCD?!? Your poem does make up for its absence a little, I guess.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 05-01-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
I just had to register my disappointment: where is this month's misspelled title, NCD?!? Your poem does make up for its absence a little, I guess.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM

This is my first time participating in one of these threads, but I love to read!

1. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See (currently reading) - liking it a lot so far. Very readable and interesting.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Old 05-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Welcome Greeny! :
Old 05-01-2009, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
I guess it's kind of hard to misspell May, unless we want to do the Yam 2009 Book Challenge. Sorry to disappoint

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 05-01-2009, 06:31 PM

#48 Julia's Kitchen by Brenda A. Ferber
Short middle grades book -- Cara is 11 years old. While she staying overnight with a friend, her house burns to the ground and her mother and younger sister die. Her father doesn't want to talk about what happened, her best friend gets tired of her sadness. She takes over her mom's baking business secretly. I liked this. Oh, and her family is Jewish and she talks/thinks a lot about where God is in all this.

#49 Graceling by Kristin Cashore

I remember there was divided opinion about this one, but I don't remember specifically what people thought. I liked it -- I thought the idea of having a Grace was interesting.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 PM

kangamitroo, psst, another boxing book you might like is The Power of One. Don't be ashamed LOL
Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 PM

First book for May is

A Kiss of a Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton, This is the first book in a series 'Meredith Gentry' She is a princess of the high court of Faerie. I will post more about it when I am finished. (but so far I love it)
Old 05-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Lady Killer, Scottline

Quote:
Philadelphia attorney Mary DiNunzio, last seen in Killer Smile (2004), agrees to help her high school nemesis, Trish Gambone... Trish, whom Mary used to regard as the quintessential Mean Girl, has turned in desperation to the lawyer, the all-around Most Likely to Achieve Sainthood at St. Maria Goretti High School, because she wants to escape from her abusive, and possibly Mafia-connected boyfriend, Bobby Mancuso. Trish rejects Mary's practical suggestions for dealing with Bobby, but once Trish disappears, Mary finds herself under pressure from other high school classmates as well as people from her old neighborhood who blame her for not doing enough.
I love Lisa Scottoline for her mysteries, typically centering around one of the attorneys at the firm "rosato and associates." Lady Killer doesn't disappoint, either. It's a fast paced mystery, and the characterizations of Philadelphia are spot on and super-enjoyable.

#1 Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, #2 Moosewood Restaurant New Classics, #3 Autobiography of God, #4 The Ghost Orchid, #5 The Poe Shadow, #6 Knit One Kill Two, #7 Citizen Girl, #8 The Fourth Bear, #9 The Third Secret, #10 Change of Heart, #11 Guardian Angels, #12 The Gore, #13 The Undomestic Goddess, #14 From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil T. Frankweiler, #15 Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, #16 Blood Memory, #17 A Thousand Splendid Suns, #18 Then we Came to the End, #19 - Feed, #20 - Paper Towns, #21 - The Sparrow, #22 - Swim, Bike, Run, #23 Field Notes from a Catastrophe, #24 Pillars of the Earth, #25 The Geographer's Library, #26 Lady Killer
Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Haunted Ground by Erin Hart

this was mentioned on a previous thread. It's a mystery, actually two mysteries, that begins with a decapitated head found in a peat bog in Ireland, so it's incredibly well preserved. I enjoyed it, and I'm no usually a mystery buff. I though the love story aspect was a little too Nora Roberts-y, but the forensic/archealogical stuff made it a rather unusual mystery. I'd give it maybe 3 out of 5 stars.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:51 PM

3 Willows by Ann Brashares

A continuation of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series that focuses on three new characters. Follows the basic formula of her Sisterhood series which makes it seem a little repetitive. Its not a bad read and I do like the idea of a continuing series. Still, the book seemed a little stale.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 05-03-2009, 08:45 PM

Around the World in 80 Dates: Confessions of a Christian Serial Dater by Christa Ann Banister

A Christian chick lit book about a girl who is waiting to find Mr. Right while going through a string of bad dates. A quick read that while not earth-shattering, still provides some light entertainment.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
kangamitroo, psst, another boxing book you might like is The Power of One. Don't be ashamed LOL
thanks for the tip, karaboo--and the support

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM

2. A Ship Made of Paper by Scott Spencer - Really good. Easy to read, and good pacing, very interesting characters. Pretty intense.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM

#16 A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg

I loved this book. A series of short stories about her life punctuated by meaningful recipes related to the stories. I can't wait to try a few of these recipes, and I'm going to her blog to find a recipe she described but left out. Super fun read.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM

#50 The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne

I'm just finishing this one up. Certainly is a lot to think about and a lot of good prodding to think about the way one lives life. There is a lot I like about what Claiborne has to say.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:51 PM

34. Big Green Purse-Diane Maceache

Lots of internet links, background infos on companies who are green/not green...All in all, a nice reference book for shopping. Alas, I have no spare money for shopping right now but it's good to know for the times when I DO need to make purchases.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Great book - my dd and I both read this and loved it. I knew right away it was going to be good when it started out about a girl and her dad who love books -- but there are some dark secrets -- how did her mother mysteriously disappear and why won't her dad read aloud to her? My dd is reading the sequel Inkspell which I am looking forward to.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post
Rope Burns by FX Toole
this book of 6 short stories about boxing includes "million dollar baby", which was made into a film with Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood. they are not for everyone, for sure.
i am a bit embarassed and confused by the allure of boxing for me. eventually i will write an eloquent collection of literary essays about how a granola-eating, peace-loving, meditation-practicing mama like myself can get immense pleasure out of slamming a heavy bag.
meanwhile, please PM me if you know other good boxing books

kangamitroo, DS boxes and recently got this book as a gift:

Boxing's Most Wanted: The Top 10 Book of Champs, Chumps, and Punch-Drunk Palookas by Mike Fitzgerald

i haven't checked it out yet, but your post made me think of it. we have speed and heavy bags @ our house and i like using them too.

semi-crunchy mama to 1 unschooly, sometimes unruly, but mostly sweet and cool DS (17)
student reiki practitioner and aspiring /
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 PM

#20 Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doira Russell

I was loving this book. Really, great characterizations. Only needed a minor suspension of disbelief that this ordinary woman would have been in Egypt in 1920 and bumped into Churchill. The historical accuracy was fantastic!

Then, we reached the end. Honestly, this book would have been perfect for me if the last chapter had just been excised.

So, I'd still recommend it--just be warned.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:03 PM

35. Thin is the New Happy- Valerie Frankel

I respect her struggle and heartache but I don't agree with where she ended up. She is still fixated on size no matter what she says to herself about her journey. It's all there, in her own words.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:36 PM

3. Lost and Found by Carolyn Parkhurst

I was really excited to read this book, because I LOVED her first novel The Dogs of Babel. I wouldn't say this was disappointing, because I genuinely was interested throughout it, but it wasn't as good as her first book.

It did have an interesting premise - contestants on a reality tv show, similar to The Amazing Race. It was primarily about a mother and daughter who were a team on the show, and, of course, had some issues between them. And the book explored some of the other characters as well.

I think my biggest reservation about the book was that it didn't delve deep enough. It could have been.... more.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 PM

#17 Gossip of the Starlings by Nina de Gramont

I enjoyed this book, it moved quickly and the writing really took you right into the heads of the teenage characters. It's a story of boarding school upper crust teenagers in 1980's New England, how one group of kids got involved with drugs, and how they all navigated their lives. Fun read. Apparently inspired by a true story.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:05 AM

40. Harry, a History by Melissa Anelli

This chronicles the journey of how Melissa came to be the top Webmistress at the #1 Harry Potter Fan Site, The Leaky Cauldron. It's the story of a young journalist who goes from being kind of a loser to a real somebody because of Harry Potter. It's also the play-by-play account of Harry and how he started off rejected by nine publishers and then skyrocketed to fame. Wizard Rock, the Pottercast, the Christian fundamentalist Harry bookburning movement, Potter Puppet Pals, the advent of midnight book release parties at bookstores nationwide, how the NY Times bestseller list was split apart because of Harry Potter hogging the top slots, the movies, the relationship with fans to the WB, fan sites, fan fiction and shippers, and a foreword and interviews with JK Rowling are all included. The excitement everyone had over Harry Potter really comes across in this book and it's like you are experiencing it all for the first time. I personally waited until Deathly Hallows was published before I cracked any of the books so I could read them all straight through from the first time. So for me, a lot of the information in this book was new. I loved this book, thought it was hilarious and I think every Harry Potter fan should read it.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 AM

subbing. have to go back to April and get my last books, and update. i havent been on here much lately so im behind.

Just finished:
18. Harry Potter Book #2 (audio).
yeh, i know. i never read the books..though i have them all. its fun listening to the books now though.

1. Club Dead, Charlaine Harris. #3 of the Southern Vampire Series.
2. Dead to the World #4 of the Southern Vampire Series.
3. Dead as a Doornail, book #5 of teh Southern Vampire Series.
4. Holidays on Ice, David Sedaris.
5. Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins.
6. Life as We Knew It
7. Definitely Dead #6 of the Southern Vampire Series.
8. A Thousand Splendid Sunsets
9. All Together Dead #7 of the Southern Vampire Series
10.Graceling
11. David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall.
12. Star Beast, Robert Heinlein
13. Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
14. When You Are Engulfed In Flames, David Sedaris
15. From Dead to Worse, #8 Southern Vampire Series
16. Animal Vegetable Miracle
17. Pride and Prejudice, Austin
18. Harry Potter #2

User Tag List