June 2009 Book Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 203 Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
Well, I suppose it was rather depressing, in that it's not a happy book filled with happy people. Yates is not an emotional writer, but an observant one, and I enjoyed his observations (some of them rather stinging, if understated) very much. It's not a book to wallow in, more of a book to think about.
Okay, that makes sense. I was on the fence about adding it to my list, but I think that tipped me over.

So many books, so little time! And speaking of, I think my goal this year is 75 books again, and I think I'm only at 26. I better get to work! :
#62 of 203 Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 PM

3. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

*sigh* So I read all four books, and enjoyed them. But it's like eating candy. I feel slightly sick and like I filled my body with junk, even though it was fun while it lasted. The writing is horrible (I mean come on - nobody can argue that these books are great literature), but the story is fun and interesting. And I'm glad that I finished the series. =)

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#63 of 203 Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestabeth View Post
The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

Very fun. I was definitely laughing out loud at times. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it turned into a movie. It reads a little like a screenplay.
when i read the book description, it reminded me of the madcap stuff that happens in the 1945 movie Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck--just that she's a writer not a lawyer.

i have not tried Sophie Kinsella...because the book covers look so fluffy...but this sounds fun. i can always use laugh. too much heavy-heavy in my book choices.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#64 of 203 Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post
when i read the book description, it reminded me of the madcap stuff that happens in the 1945 movie Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck--just that she's a writer not a lawyer.

i have not tried Sophie Kinsella...because the book covers look so fluffy...but this sounds fun. i can always use laugh. too much heavy-heavy in my book choices.
You know, it's funny, because I am a lot more forgiving of books than I am of movies. But this reminded me more of the romantic comedies that I actually like, such as Bridget Jones. I am not a big fan of romantic comedies because they're usually so formulaic, but the main characters here had enough depth to them and there were enough funny moments to keep me interested. The secondary characters are pretty flat and/or stereotypical, but eh, still a fun read.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#65 of 203 Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I really enjoyed this. I liked the back and forth between past and present, and the story was solid and well researched. It wasn't especially moving or life changing, but just a good read.

#66 of 203 Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this book. One of my top five favorites. I try to read it every October. That seems to be the best time for it, at least I think so.
Yeah, I was thinking while I was reading it that I should have read it during Halloween. Glad to hear you like it too.
#67 of 203 Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 AM

Cathe, I'm glad to hear that you liked Still Alice!
#68 of 203 Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
Oh, I always think Colorado sounds pretty nice too. Outdoorsy and stuff
I will certainly be reporting on the pizza from her place. I was so excited when I found out she still lived here in Seattle and was opening a place. Her recipes all sound so good. I've got the lemon cake and chocolate ginger banana bread on my to be cooked agenda.
We've only lived in Colorado for three years -- sometimes it seems unreal to me, still.
I made the chocolate ginger banana bread -- it was good. I want to make the berry pound cake and try to freeze it, as she suggests, to take camping this weekend. Trying to decide if I really need the kirsch.
#69 of 203 Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 PM

#27 Free-Range Knitter The Yarn Harlot Writes Again by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Fun little short stories with the focus on knitting, or from a knitter's perspective. I like Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. She's witty and her stories are fun. Quick read, good stuff.
#70 of 203 Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
Cathe, I'm glad to hear that you liked Still Alice!
Yes. It was great. Just recommended it to all my local reading friends.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#71 of 203 Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I read this after Pride and Prejudice, and it is SO much better. It's refreshing to have a protagonist who faces actual adversity, not just silly societal issues. I love the transformation of character that Rochester goes through. I felt much sympathy for him by the end.

Next up is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, so I might not be back until July.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#72 of 203 Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmann View Post
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I read this after Pride and Prejudice, and it is SO much better. It's refreshing to have a protagonist who faces actual adversity, not just silly societal issues. I love the transformation of character that Rochester goes through. I felt much sympathy for him by the end.

Next up is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, so I might not be back until July.
I have to respectfully disagree ... I HATED Jane Eyre and actually enjoyed P&P. Austen is just a much better writer than Bronte.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#73 of 203 Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 PM

:

#74 of 203 Old 06-11-2009, 12:28 AM

I'm back. I forget to post on these threads so often, but I get so many good ideas from them, and I want to return the favor. My goal for the year is to finish 100 books, and I may just make it!!! Bring on the lazy summer days

June books read so far:
39. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown Fast paced mystery. I enjoyed this, but found a few of the details at the end to be very predictable.

#40. Born Again by kelly Kerney This is the story of a 14 year old girl growing up in a fundamentalist Christian family. It follows her journey as she loses hold of her faith while reading Origin of the Species by Darwin. From the description on the back of the book I thought it would be more of a comedy. Although it had comedic moments, I would characterize this as more of a coming-of-age story.

41. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier I read this after seeing the movie a few years ago. This story takes place during the Civil War and follows two main characters: an AWOL confederate soldier as he tries to make his way home and an educated young woman whose father dies, leaving her alone to manage a farm. I found both stories interesting, and especially enjoyed the description of the flora and geography of GA and NC.

42. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen I'd heard this book mentioned several times on MDC and decided to read it. When I first picked it up, I assumed that 'Water for Elephants' was metaphorical. I was a bit surprised when I realized it was about a circus, but I enjoyed the book.

43. Pandora by Anne Rice Vampires seem to be all the rage these days, and I've never read any of Anne Rice's vamp novels, so I figured why not? This is the first of the New Vampire Tales books. I had a hard time getting into the book at first, because it referred to so many different characters of whom I have no prior knowledge. Although I figured it out eventually, I think it would've made more sense if I'd read her first vampire series. After I got over that hump, I enjoyed the book and didn't want to put it down. I finished it off in a few hours.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#75 of 203 Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 AM

I can't figure out how to delete this post . . .:

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#76 of 203 Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree ... I HATED Jane Eyre and actually enjoyed P&P. Austen is just a much better writer than Bronte.
In case you haven't read NewCrunchyDaddy's fine print on the rules -- you are not allowed to like Jane Eyre on this thread

But many of us are closet Jane Eyre fans anyway -- including me. I love that book.

#77 of 203 Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post

43. Pandora by Anne Rice Vampires seem to be all the rage these days, and I've never read any of Anne Rice's vamp novels, so I figured why not? This is the first of the New Vampire Tales books. I had a hard time getting into the book at first, because it referred to so many different characters of whom I have no prior knowledge. Although I figured it out eventually, I think it would've made more sense if I'd read her first vampire series. After I got over that hump, I enjoyed the book and didn't want to put it down. I finished it off in a few hours.
Didn't know she was doing a new vampire series. I was really into Lestat and her other series when I was in my 20's. I even stood in line for 3 hours to get The Body Thief signed! I sort of lost interest when she did her witch series. I'll have to check this one out.

#78 of 203 Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Didn't know she was doing a new vampire series. I was really into Lestat and her other series when I was in my 20's. I even stood in line for 3 hours to get The Body Thief signed! I sort of lost interest when she did her witch series. I'll have to check this one out.
I started reading Anne Rice when I was about 14. I used to sneak her books into class. My favorite was the Vampire Lestat, but it's probably better if you read Interview with the Vampire first. And I liked the Witching Hour, but the rest of the witch series is pretty weak. It's been years since I picked up one of her books, though.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#79 of 203 Old 06-11-2009, 11:47 AM

Lestat was my favorite of the series too.

#80 of 203 Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 PM

#60 Savvy by Ingrid Law
I enjoyed this one -- I know others here read it too, right? It sort of seems set up for a sequel. Everyone in Mibs' family, on their 13th birthday, begins to evidence his or her own unique "savvy" or magical power.

#61 Free at Last: The Sudbury Valley School by Daniel Greenberg
Very interesting stuff. We are considering a school based on this model for our daughter. DH will read it this weekend while we are camping...
#81 of 203 Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 PM

#62 Hugo Pepper by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell
A read-aloud with DD that we'll finish this weekend (if not this afternoon!). Same authors of the Edge Chronicles. First one (by these authors) that I've read with DD and it's a grand success. I like the storyline. Good stuff. Whole 'nother world with great characters.
#82 of 203 Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

#27 Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
by Bill Schutt

My review of Dark Banquet can be found HERE

#28 The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon (Audio)
by David Grann

My review of Z can be found HERE

#29 Her Story: A Timeline of the Women Who Changed America
by Charlotte S. Waisman, Ph.D. and Jill S. Tietjen, P.E.

My review of Her Story can be found HERE

#1 The King in Yellow, #2 Ghost Story, #3 Twilight (Audio), #4 Nice Work, #5 The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged, #6 Collected Poems 1909-1962 (T.S. Eliot), #7 New Moon (Audio), #8 Selected Poems (William Carlos Williams), #9 The Pearl, #10 The Blackwater Lightship, #11 100 Selected Poems (e.e. cummings), #12 The Grapes of Wrath, #13 Eclipse (Audio), #14 A Bit on the Side, #15 East of Eden, #16 As I Lay Dying: Redux, #17 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance—Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!, #18 Breaking Dawn (Audio), #19 A Streetcar Named Desire: 25th Anniversary Edition, #20 The Short Stories: The First Forty-Nine Stories with a Brief Preface by the Author, #21 New British Poetry, #22 Brick Lane, #23 Maps for Lost Lovers, #24 The Silence of the Lambs (Audio): Redux, #25 Pride and Prejudice, #26 Poe: A Life Cut Short, #27 Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures, #28 The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obession in the Amazon (Audio), #29 Her Story: A Timeline of the Women Who Changed America

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#83 of 203 Old 06-12-2009, 09:25 AM

#31 - Old Goriot by Honore de Balzac

It took me a little bit to get into this, as Balzac sets the scene with lengthy descriptive passages at the beginning of this novel, but by the end I couldn't put it down. Written in the 1830s, this is one of a series of 90 or so novels that form Balzac's "La comedie humaine" series - apparently he planned 145 in the series!!

This one focuses on life in a rather tatty Parisian boardinghouse, where the provincial law student Rastignac comes to know the old man of the title, who is habitually mocked by the other boarders. In fact, Goriot's two daughters, now a baroness and a countess by marriage, and continue to milk him dry financially while shunning him socially. The novel was melodramatic, but had some quite shattering observations about society, and I enjoyed it.
#84 of 203 Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
#27 Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
by Jane Austen
Wow, Jane Austen is really getting into that gory stuff . . .

#85 of 203 Old 06-12-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#86 of 203 Old 06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

This novel intertwines the lives of the 19th wife of LDS prophet Brigham Young and the 19th wife of a modern-day polygamist, who allegedly kills her husband.

The modern-day story was fascinating to me, but I found the early-LDS polygamy story a little redundant since I was raised LDS and already knew the history.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#87 of 203 Old 06-12-2009, 12:36 PM

maybe i can make one more library stop before my beach visit...The 19th Wife sounds very intriguing!

i am on a wait list for all of my fiction choices. i have The New Kings of Nonfiction to finish tonight. edited by Ira Glass, the stories are journalistic ones that would qualify for inclusion on This American Life, my favorite program. even the introduction had me laughing out loud. he referred to the way that most news reporting sucks the life out of stories, whereas a good writer uses a story to illuminate life.

as for Pride and Prejudice vs. Jane Eyre: years ago i really enjoyed Jane Eyre, but when i tried to read it recently, not so much. P&P, while a tale with a soap-opera-quality plot, had me laughing out loud.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#88 of 203 Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

#89 of 203 Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

This was an incredible memoir of a muslim woman who grew up in Somali and other African countries and eventually escapted to Holland where she became a political activist fight for rights of muslim women. Amazing woman and great book.

#90 of 203 Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 PM

48. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

This book is like when one of your friends is telling you a story and you are on the edge of your seat practically inside their head seeing it all happen while they are describing it and all the while they are going, "AND THEN... AND THAT'S NOT ALL.... HOLD ON THAT'S NOT EVEN THE BEST PART..." I was so caught up in the main characters thoughts and observations that I felt like I knew her and didn't even notice that the author never even gives her a name.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page