June 2009 Book Challenge - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 203 Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pretty in Plaid: A Life, a Witch, and a Wardrobe, or, the Wonder Years Before the Condescending, Egomanical, Self-Centered Smart Ass Phase by Jen Lancaster

Funny as usual. This book details Lancaster's life from about age 8 to when she landed her second job at a dot.com company in Chicago. As usual, she is saracastic, self-absorbed and caustic at time -- all the things I have grown to love about her. I think her ability to laugh at her self helps balance out the egomanic. A perfect funny summer read.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#122 of 203 Old 06-18-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post
I love Connie Willis! I'd really recommend To Say Nothing of the Dog, which is a comedy set in the same universe as Doomsday.
I read Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome and then NewCrunchyDaddy mentioned that book. I have it in my TBR pile and I started it last night. The Doomsday Book looked so good that I read it first.

50. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
#123 of 203 Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM

I'm reading Three Men in a Boat now. That story about his Uncle Podger hanging the picture was so funny!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#124 of 203 Old 06-18-2009, 03:05 PM

#44 - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#125 of 203 Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I got this to read as well, but I feel soooo unworthy and capable when I started to read it. I really want to be creative and crafty, but I think that really, I'm just not.
Oh no!

I'm honestly not ALL that crafty, I just have the desire to be crafty (like you!) And yes, definitely, envisioning doing all this stuff she writes about is totally overwhelming. FWIW though, I think she is hoping that people will feel inspired to create no matter their abilities

ps. It made me feel good to see these photos on her blog (her kitchen is super messy! )

http://www.soulemama.com/.a/6a00d834...1e80970b-500wi
#126 of 203 Old 06-18-2009, 05:09 PM

Just got Pride & Prejudice and Zombies from the library! I know what I'm reading this weekend.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#127 of 203 Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just got Pride & Prejudice and Zombies from the library! I know what I'm reading this weekend.
It won't take that long. Really. A couple of hours at the most. It won't take that long.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#128 of 203 Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 PM

#32 - Why Darwin Matters by Michael Shermer

This was basically a refutation of the intelligent design movement and a broad-brush explanation of evolution. It was mostly interesting. Some of it was over my head, and some of it seemed a bit simplistic, which is a strange combination, but I'm happy enough to have read it.
#129 of 203 Old 06-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
49. Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

A woman goes back in time to the Middle Ages. I love historical fiction and this was right up my alley because everything was so vivid and real. There's even a little girl with a red cape and a fairy tale forest and then all of the scary plague stuff. Only thing I didn't like was the woman from the future was from 2054ish and the author didn't envision cell phones (the book was written in 1992). So a lot of the problems in the book are caused by people not being able to get in touch with other people because of there only being landlines. But that is my ONLY complaint - otherwise I couldn't tear myself away from this book and devoured it in two days.
i also really really liked this book. it's funny: the cell phone thing didn't occur to me. although even if there were cell phones, i don't think that would have solved their problems. there are lots of places where cell phones don't get reception, and can't cell towers fail due to an overabundance of traffic, just like landlines?
#130 of 203 Old 06-18-2009, 09:04 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Limbo by A. Manette Ansay

A memoir by the author of (the Oprah pick) Vinegar Hill.

I love memoirs in general, and this one is particularly well-written.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#131 of 203 Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Only thing I didn't like was the woman from the future was from 2054ish and the author didn't envision cell phones (the book was written in 1992).
I had a cell phone in 1991. Big brick-of-a-thing.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#132 of 203 Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
49. Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

A woman goes back in time to the Middle Ages. I love historical fiction and this was right up my alley because everything was so vivid and real. There's even a little girl with a red cape and a fairy tale forest and then all of the scary plague stuff. Only thing I didn't like was the woman from the future was from 2054ish and the author didn't envision cell phones (the book was written in 1992). So a lot of the problems in the book are caused by people not being able to get in touch with other people because of there only being landlines. But that is my ONLY complaint - otherwise I couldn't tear myself away from this book and devoured it in two days.
We own this one -- I guess I should pull it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
#29 The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule

Really fun read filled with ideas about infusing family life with a little more gentleness, peacefulness and creativity. I pretty much love Ms. Soule and her aesthetic and lifestyle. I aspire to it
I've been working my way through this, too -- I keep sending it back to the library when it's due and checking it out again. I like the gratitude alphabet and I want to try making natural glue. Even if I don't do what she's doing, it keeps me conscious of what I *am* doing.
#133 of 203 Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

Great recommendation . . . some parts were so hilarious I was laughing out loud. Kind of reminded me of an old fashioned version of A Walk In The Woods but on a boat.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#134 of 203 Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 PM

The Portrait, Ian Pears

Quote:
Pears scales down to a simple tale of vengeance told by a narrator obsessed with destroying the man he once called his friend and mentor. Henry MacAlpine has abandoned his comfortable life as a celebrated portraitist in early 1900s London and fled to a tiny island off the coast of Brittany. To that lonely spot he lures William Naysmith, the British art world's most famous critic, with the promise of painting his portrait.
An odd book...I wasn't sure I liked it but now I keep thinking about it. What's going to happen is evident from the beginning, but then when it really happens it feels explosive. The entire story is told in monologue, which is an inventive form for the novel.

#1 Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, #2 Moosewood Restaurant New Classics, #3 Autobiography of God, #4 The Ghost Orchid, #5 The Poe Shadow, #6 Knit One Kill Two, #7 Citizen Girl, #8 The Fourth Bear, #9 The Third Secret, #10 Change of Heart, #11 Guardian Angels, #12 The Gore, #13 The Undomestic Goddess, #14 From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil T. Frankweiler, #15 Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, #16 Blood Memory, #17 A Thousand Splendid Suns, #18 Then we Came to the End, #19 - Feed, #20 - Paper Towns, #21 - The Sparrow, #22 - Swim, Bike, Run, #23 Field Notes from a Catastrophe, #24 Pillars of the Earth, #25 The Geographer's Library, #26 Lady Killer, #27 Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, #28 The Abstinence Teacher, #29 Under the Banner of Heaven, #30 Duma Key, #31 The Portrait
#135 of 203 Old 06-20-2009, 05:25 PM

51. Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

About a young girl who lives with her mother and grandfather above the coffee shop they own. She has to become an adult prematurely once her family and most of the city of Philadelphia become sick with yellow fever. The French doctors cured yellow fever with rest and fluids and fresh air while the American doctors persisted in bloodletting and treating the patients with mercury. I wasn't emotionally invested in the story but it was interesting.
#136 of 203 Old 06-20-2009, 07:58 PM

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg

A recently widowed woman is having trouble coping with her loss. She's a successful author but can't write. She becomes overly dependent on her adult daughter and has to find a way to let go and get on with her life.

I had a little trouble getting into this but ended up liking it.

#137 of 203 Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimibella View Post

I'm almost done with "Freakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. I know it was a best seller but I have to say I really only find it mildy interesting.
Can I recommend Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely? : him.
#138 of 203 Old 06-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
48. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

This book is like when one of your friends is telling you a story and you are on the edge of your seat practically inside their head seeing it all happen while they are describing it and all the while they are going, "AND THEN... AND THAT'S NOT ALL.... HOLD ON THAT'S NOT EVEN THE BEST PART..." I was so caught up in the main characters thoughts and observations that I felt like I knew her and didn't even notice that the author never even gives her a name.
I love Rebecca (and I think your review is great). I actually had a big DuMaurier phase last summer when a friend lent me some of her favorites (The King's General, Jamaica Inn, and Frenchman's Creek) and they were all great. I highly recommend them all.

I'm till working on Infinite Jest, and I'm thinking it might be a better book for the winter. Not finding a lot of time to read right now. But had to check in on this thread!

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#139 of 203 Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 PM

My Life in France by Julia Child

A very fun look into the life of Julia and her husband Paul during their early years of marriage when she developed her love for France -- and French cooking. I am motivated to find the episodes of French Chef on DVD despite my own dislike for French food. Child has a way of writing -- and cooking -- that makes me feel like I might actually want to eat duck liver pate. Gourmet or not, I recommend this book.

(1-04) (8-09)
#140 of 203 Old 06-22-2009, 01:28 PM

#30 Love in the Time of Colic by Heidi Raykiel and Ian Kerner

A guide for new parents on how to get "back in the saddle". I thought it was full of good advice for both sides of the couple. They had a lot of different ways of looking at the issue, concrete advice, how to look at a dry spell from both partner's perspectives, etc. I thought the persistent pun jokes were a little tiresome, but other than that, pretty good.

#31 Lord John and the Hand of the Devils by Diana Gabaldon

3 short stories or novellas with Lord John Grey (from the Outlander series) as the main character. Kinda fun, but not ringing my bell too much this time. I usually really like Diana Gabaldon.
#141 of 203 Old 06-22-2009, 02:42 PM

I just started the book of short stories by Du Maurier . . . can't wait to read The Birds but I'm saving it for last!

#142 of 203 Old 06-22-2009, 04:06 PM

I had just finished Elizabeth Berg's latest book and when I picked this up I was expecting more of the same . . . a family mourning the loss of their mother. When I read the first line of this book:

"Two days after my father had a massive stroke my mother shot herself in the head."

Not only did that line hook me, I knew I was in for a violent ride. This book alternated between the present -- a 28 year old woman Alex returning to her family home after 10 years of no contact-- and the past --the story of abuse that caused her to leave in the first place. I thought the book was well written, full of secrets that are slowly revealed, and a real page turner.

#143 of 203 Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 PM

The self-sufficient-ish bible by Andy and Dave Hamilton

Really more of a guide to living lightly on the Earth, than self sufficiency.

The self-sufficient life and how to live it : the complete back-to-basics guide by John Seymour

The king of living a self sufficient life! You need to know it - it's in this book.

Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers

"When "Perfect" Parker Fadley starts drinking at school and failing her classes, all of St. Peter's High goes on alert. How has the cheerleading captain, girlfriend of the most popular guy in school, consummate teacher's pet, and future valedictorian fallen so far from grace?"
It's pretty impressive to have your book published at the age of 21! I enjoyed the way the story was told, but didn't really buy it.

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (audio) by Malcolm Gladwell

It wasn't until I finished this that I realized I had the abridged version. That would explain why it was so hard to follow. The other reason, was that I kept falling asleep. It is read by the author and his voice is very sleep inducing.
#144 of 203 Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

#30 The Bloody White Baron: The Extraordinary Story of the Russian Nobleman Who Became the Last Khan of Mongolia
by James Palmer

My review of Baron can be found HERE

#31 Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible (Audio)
by David Plotz

My review of Good Book can be found HERE

#1 The King in Yellow, #2 Ghost Story, #3 Twilight (Audio), #4 Nice Work, #5 The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged, #6 Collected Poems 1909-1962 (T.S. Eliot), #7 New Moon (Audio), #8 Selected Poems (William Carlos Williams), #9 The Pearl, #10 The Blackwater Lightship, #11 100 Selected Poems (e.e. cummings), #12 The Grapes of Wrath, #13 Eclipse (Audio), #14 A Bit on the Side, #15 East of Eden, #16 As I Lay Dying: Redux, #17 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance—Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!, #18 Breaking Dawn (Audio), #19 A Streetcar Named Desire: 25th Anniversary Edition, #20 The Short Stories: The First Forty-Nine Stories with a Brief Preface by the Author, #21 New British Poetry, #22 Brick Lane, #23 Maps for Lost Lovers, #24 The Silence of the Lambs (Audio): Redux, #25 Pride and Prejudice, #26 Poe: A Life Cut Short, #27 Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures, #28 The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obession in the Amazon (Audio), #29 Her Story: A Timeline of the Women Who Changed America, #30 The Bloody White Baron: The Extraordinary Story of the Russian Nobleman Who Became the Last Khan of Russia, #31 Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#145 of 203 Old 06-23-2009, 02:11 PM

52. The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

Kyra lives in a polygamous cult and one day while wandering around, she sees a bookmobile driving by. The bookmobile stops and she goes inside and gets a library card and returns every week to get a new book and discovers Harry Potter, Anne of Green Gables, The Borrowers. Her cult forbids her to read books other than the Bible and eventually she gets caught. As those kids in Reading Rainbow say, "If you want to know the rest of the story, you'll have to read it and find out for yourself!"
#146 of 203 Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As those kids in Reading Rainbow say, "If you want to know the rest of the story, you'll have to read it and find out for yourself!"
:

#147 of 203 Old 06-23-2009, 04:43 PM

I added it to my queue! I hope it comes in before we head to the beach.

(1-04) (8-09)
#148 of 203 Old 06-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Kyra lives in a polygamous cult and one day while wandering around, she sees a bookmobile driving by. The bookmobile stops and she goes inside and gets a library card and returns every week to get a new book and discovers Harry Potter, Anne of Green Gables, The Borrowers. Her cult forbids her to read books other than the Bible and eventually she gets caught. As those kids in Reading Rainbow say, "If you want to know the rest of the story, you'll have to read it and find out for yourself!"
Ooooh, sounds good!

And I LOVE Reading Rainbow

Butterfly in the skyyyyyyy, I can go twice as hiiiiiigh, take a look.......
#149 of 203 Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Did you like it? I thought it was a great book.

#150 of 203 Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
#8 - Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

A book about first impressions - how people gather information, form opinions, and make decisions based on just a few minutes or seconds of observation. One of the most interesting things about this process is that it's not conscious - in Gladwell's words, it takes place "behind a locked door." Sometimes our snap judgments are amazingly accurate, but Gladwell also talks about times when they're not.

I had heard of this book and thought it sounded kind of interesting, but not quite enough to make me read it. Then I read a recent article in The New Yorker by Gladwell that was so interesting it made me think I would probably enjoy his books. I did really like Blink. Now I want to read The Tipping Point.
I really like Malcolm Gladwell. I haven't read any of his books, but I've read a lot of his essays on the New Yorker website. He is very interesting and intelligent. I don't always agree with him, but he always makes me think.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page