June 2009 Book Challenge - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2009, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Have you read his book "Travels With Charley"? At the age of 58, Steinbeck sets out in a little camper to rediscover the country. He meets all kinds of interesting characters but the best part is getting to know what Steinbeck is like. I so would have liked to meet him. He is one of my heroes.
We read excerpts from Charley in my class, but I haven't read it cover-to-cover.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 02:45 PM

I put it on my hold list.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

#32 The Composer is Dead
by Lemony Snicket

My review of Composer can be found HERE

#33 Shakespeare's Kitchen: Renaissance Recipes for the Contemporary Cook
by Francine Segan

My review of Shakespeare's Kitchen can be found HERE

#1 The King in Yellow, #2 Ghost Story, #3 Twilight (Audio), #4 Nice Work, #5 The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged, #6 Collected Poems 1909-1962 (T.S. Eliot), #7 New Moon (Audio), #8 Selected Poems (William Carlos Williams), #9 The Pearl, #10 The Blackwater Lightship, #11 100 Selected Poems (e.e. cummings), #12 The Grapes of Wrath, #13 Eclipse (Audio), #14 A Bit on the Side, #15 East of Eden, #16 As I Lay Dying: Redux, #17 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance—Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!, #18 Breaking Dawn (Audio), #19 A Streetcar Named Desire: 25th Anniversary Edition, #20 The Short Stories: The First Forty-Nine Stories with a Brief Preface by the Author, #21 New British Poetry, #22 Brick Lane, #23 Maps for Lost Lovers, #24 The Silence of the Lambs (Audio): Redux, #25 Pride and Prejudice, #26 Poe: A Life Cut Short, #27 Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures, #28 The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obession in the Amazon (Audio), #29 Her Story: A Timeline of the Women Who Changed America, #30 The Bloody White Baron: The Extraordinary Story of the Russian Nobleman Who Became the Last Khan of Russia, #31 Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible, #32 The Composer is Dead, #33 Shakespeare's Kitchen: Renaissance Recipes for the Contemporary Cook

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 06-27-2009, 08:19 PM

The Stepmother by Carrie Adams

I made the same mistake with this book that I did with The Godmother -- I went in thinking it was going to be fluffy and light. The book takes the basic idea of a the ex versus the new wife (or soon-to-be new wife) and paints a very realistic picture, if not a very dark one at times. Tessa has finally found the love of her life in James -- unfortunately he comes with three kids and an ex-wife Bea who is realizing that he is still the love of her life. I look forward to more books from Adams in the future.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh YAY -- some good recommendations. I'm down to just 3 books in my stack so it's time to build it up again!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 06-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
How cool is this? I just got a free copy of Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma from Western Washington University. Apparently it'll be one of the texts I'll be teaching in English 101 up there this Fall.

The letter says that

That's pretty cool! I'm excited to be heading up there, now if only I can find a way to cover the moving costs ... :
That's cool!

Not that it helps now, but all those costs are tax deductible right? Maybe?

Quote:
Have you read his book "Travels With Charley"? At the age of 58, Steinbeck sets out in a little camper to rediscover the country. He meets all kinds of interesting characters but the best part is getting to know what Steinbeck is like. I so would have liked to meet him. He is one of my heroes.
We read that for my book club. I actually had kind of a hard time getting into it. Definitely he is an interesting character, but it read a little dry for me.

Quote:
Oh YAY -- some good recommendations. I'm down to just 3 books in my stack so it's time to build it up again!
Holy moly! How do you get your stack down to 3 books?!?! Nice work! You read much more quickly than I do
Old 06-29-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
Holy moly! How do you get your stack down to 3 books?!?! Nice work! You read much more quickly than I do
Thanks to some afternoons at the local pool with my dd's--got some extra reading in.

Some holds came in . . . it's up to 6 and climbing again . . .

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks to some afternoons at the local pool with my dd's--got some extra reading in.

Some holds came in . . . it's up to 6 and climbing again . . .
Nice We're not quite there yet with the being able to read while hanging outside with the kids. With one who is 4, the other just 1yr, I can read a tad bit when we are at the sandbox.

I'm ashamed to say what the pile of books next to the bed and on my dresser looks like! It's GI-normous!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM

I'm Down by Mishna Wolff

I was attracted to Wolff's memoir because of a similiar history -- I grew up a white "minority". I could relate to some of what she talks about especially using humor to fit in. But her whiter than white Dad suffers from a serious delusion that he is, indeed, Black. Not only that, he treats everyone around him like crap and he's a loser. I kept waiting for him to redeem himself but it never happend. Perhaps she will write another memoir because as it stands, I feel cheated out of most of the story.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
I'm Down by Mishna Wolff

I was attracted to Wolff's memoir because of a similiar history -- I grew up a white "minority". I could relate to some of what she talks about especially using humor to fit in. But her whiter than white Dad suffers from a serious delusion that he is, indeed, Black. Not only that, he treats everyone around him like crap and he's a loser. I kept waiting for him to redeem himself but it never happend. Perhaps she will write another memoir because as it stands, I feel cheated out of most of the story.
Oh, I just requested this from the library b/c it was written up in our newspaper. Looked interesting, especially since she grew up in Seattle. Too bad it left you wanting. I'm like 500th in line or something, so I'll let you know next year what I think
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM

Death Gets a Time-Out, Waldman

This is the fourth installment in Waldman's Mommy-Track Mysteries. Juliet has begun working as a PI. Her friend, Lily, a movie star, hires her because her brother Jupiter is accused of murdering his mother-in-law. Juliet discovers that the murder goes far deeper than it initially appears, involving repressed-memory syndrome, a new-age church, and a 30-year-old murder in Mexico. And, just to throw Juliet off, she's pregnant with #3. While this is a quick, fun read; I didn't love it as much as the others in the story. Juliet's affection for her children and struggles with balancing her career and family life just weren't as apparent. But the mystery is fun and the story is still filled with very likeable characters.

#1 Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, #2 Moosewood Restaurant New Classics, #3 Autobiography of God, #4 The Ghost Orchid, #5 The Poe Shadow, #6 Knit One Kill Two, #7 Citizen Girl, #8 The Fourth Bear, #9 The Third Secret, #10 Change of Heart, #11 Guardian Angels, #12 The Gore, #13 The Undomestic Goddess, #14 From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil T. Frankweiler, #15 Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, #16 Blood Memory, #17 A Thousand Splendid Suns, #18 Then we Came to the End, #19 - Feed, #20 - Paper Towns, #21 - The Sparrow, #22 - Swim, Bike, Run, #23 Field Notes from a Catastrophe, #24 Pillars of the Earth, #25 The Geographer's Library, #26 Lady Killer, #27 Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, #28 The Abstinence Teacher, #29 Under the Banner of Heaven, #30 Duma Key, #31 The Portrait, #32 Dirty Blonde, #33 Death Gets a Time-Out
Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain

This is the sequel to Heartsick -- not quite as horrifying as the first but it still has it's moments. Detective Archie Sheridan is still obsessed with serial killer Gretchen Lowell and when she escapes from prison and he and his family are taken into protective custody, he plots to escape to be with her.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. i'm continuing to heal. my back and my right hand are where the pain seems to be sticking around. i'm doing a bit of hunting and pecking for this post.
i've been trying to give my body the chance to rest, so i've gotten a fair bit of reading done. some of them got lost in the shuffle, but here are a few.

#63 the curious case of benjamin button by f. scott fitzgerald
#64 last night in montreal by emily st. john mandel
#65 i see you everywhere by julia glass
#66 nonviolent communication by marshall Rosenberg
#67 the unhealthy truth: how our food is making us sick and what we can do about it by robyn o'brien

first two were okay, i see you everywhere was nice --spans about 20 years in the lives of two sisters. NVC is something one could read 15 times, continuing to absorb it. i'd like to go to a class,workshop, conference with dh. i thought the unhealthy truth was great -- when the author discovers her youngest is allergic to eggs, a whole world is opened to her about the politics of processed food etc. for families who eat a lot of processed food she gives tips on how to make gradual changes.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:34 PM

fremontmama, i can totally identify with the to be read stack.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:28 PM

The irresistible revolution by Shane Claiborne
i had been interested this for a while, but put off reading it because i am not a christian and wondered how relevant it would be. i really enjoyed it. he writes about trying to truly live his faith as an evangelical christian who despairs that the message "love your neighbor as yourself" has been lost in the dominant US christian discourse. he refers to the christian bible in ways that were helpful to me, not heavy-handed.

i know one (or more) of you read it in the last few months, so sorry if the summary is redundant.

big stack of books awaits me, but dd has been keeping me up late, clingy...

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 06-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers

I won this book on YAnnabe . . . . thanks Kelly!

A high school senior girl has drastically changed from ms. popular/head cheerleader/A student to drunk/missing classes/no friends . . . all because of something that happened that she hasn't told anyone. A new boy in school tries to get through to her.

This was a good, fast read. One part didn't really make sense to me but overall good writing and a compelling read.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
fremontmama, i can totally identify with the to be read stack.
Yeah, the best part is my 1yr old pushing the stacks over on a daily basis

I have a short stack that's going pretty quickly right now though! Feeling good about that!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
Yeah, the best part is my 1yr old pushing the stacks over on a daily basis
Mine are stacked on the coffee table -- my hard part is finding a place to move them to whenever we have company.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 AM

55. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

"I knew it! This is nothing but an argument for Grand Design! A Grand Design we couldn't see because we were part of it. A Grand Design we only got occasional, fleeting glimpses of. A Grand Design involving the entire course of history and all of time and space that, for some unfathomable reason, chose to work out its designs with cats and croquet mallets and penwipers, to say nothing of the dog. And a hideous piece of Victorian artwork. And us."

I am happy to report that they have cell phones ("handhelds") in this book I liked Princess Arjumand (she writes cats really well) as much as I liked Montmorency from Three Men in a Boat.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

#34 Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned: Stories
by Wells Tower

My review of Everything Ravaged can be found HERE

#1 The King in Yellow, #2 Ghost Story, #3 Twilight (Audio), #4 Nice Work, #5 The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged, #6 Collected Poems 1909-1962 (T.S. Eliot), #7 New Moon (Audio), #8 Selected Poems (William Carlos Williams), #9 The Pearl, #10 The Blackwater Lightship, #11 100 Selected Poems (e.e. cummings), #12 The Grapes of Wrath, #13 Eclipse (Audio), #14 A Bit on the Side, #15 East of Eden, #16 As I Lay Dying: Redux, #17 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance—Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!, #18 Breaking Dawn (Audio), #19 A Streetcar Named Desire: 25th Anniversary Edition, #20 The Short Stories: The First Forty-Nine Stories with a Brief Preface by the Author, #21 New British Poetry, #22 Brick Lane, #23 Maps for Lost Lovers, #24 The Silence of the Lambs (Audio): Redux, #25 Pride and Prejudice, #26 Poe: A Life Cut Short, #27 Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures, #28 The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obession in the Amazon (Audio), #29 Her Story: A Timeline of the Women Who Changed America, #30 The Bloody White Baron: The Extraordinary Story of the Russian Nobleman Who Became the Last Khan of Russia, #31 Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible, #32 The Composer is Dead, #33 Shakespeare's Kitchen: Renaissance Recipes for the Contemporary Cook, #34 Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned: Stories

Old 07-01-2009, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

July's thread is up and running HERE (is it JULY already?! WTH happened?!)

Old 07-01-2009, 01:37 PM

I'm so behind posting my books for June, here's what I read:

34. A Year Down Yonder - Richard Peck
35. In the Hand of the Goddess (Song the Lioness, Book 2) - Tamora Pierce
36. City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) - Cassandra Clare
37. The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, Book 3) - Tamora Pierce
38. Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, Book 4) - Tamora Pierce
39. City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments, Book 2) - Cassandra Clare
40. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
41. Wild Magic (Immortals, Book 1) - Tamora Pierce
42. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith
43. Wolf Speaker (Immortals, Book II) - Tamora Pierce
44. The Emporer Mage (Immortals, Book III) - Tamora Pierce

Everything I read was pretty awesome! A Year Down Yonder was just as good as A Long Way from Chicago. Loved the Song of the Lioness quartet! I'm really enjoying the Immortals quartet by Pierce as well. Hunger Games kept me and DH up way past our bedtime - so intense. Can't wait for the sequel to come out in September! The Mortal Instruments is fun/intense YA paranormal. And I'm glad I finally made it through The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - I'll definitely read more in that series (especially since my mom has them all ).

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 07-01-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
55. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

"I knew it! This is nothing but an argument for Grand Design! A Grand Design we couldn't see because we were part of it. A Grand Design we only got occasional, fleeting glimpses of. A Grand Design involving the entire course of history and all of time and space that, for some unfathomable reason, chose to work out its designs with cats and croquet mallets and penwipers, to say nothing of the dog. And a hideous piece of Victorian artwork. And us."

I am happy to report that they have cell phones ("handhelds") in this book I liked Princess Arjumand (she writes cats really well) as much as I liked Montmorency from Three Men in a Boat.

Glad to see that you liked it!

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.

User Tag List