June 2009 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 203 Old 05-29-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to June's Challenge. Summer time is almost here. Time to dust off your "beach reads" and head for the hills, the coast, the mountains, wherever and settle down and read some brain candy for the next three months.

Anyway...

Now, repeat after me...

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), new and improved guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

So, with that, avante and a happy reading May to everyone!

2008's Threads can be found HERE
January's Thread can be found HERE
February's Thread can be found HERE
March's Thread can be found HERE
April's Thread can be found HERE
May's Thread can be found HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 203 Old 05-29-2009, 07:14 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Odd Hours by Dean Koontz.

Really entertaining read.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 203 Old 05-29-2009, 11:09 PM

Please don't tell me it's June already!

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#4 of 203 Old 05-30-2009, 01:28 PM

subbing...i may still get one more book in for may.
#5 of 203 Old 05-30-2009, 06:15 PM

Knife of Dreams by the late Robert Jordan (I'm going to read it again)

This is the most recent book in the Wheel of Time fantasy series. There are 11 books so far with 3 more to come in November 2009, November 2010, and November 2011. (The first book in the series is The Eye of the World.) This is an awesome series for both men and women. Too often, women are minor characters in fantasy. Not so in Jordan's books. Really, these books have the best of everything.

Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#6 of 203 Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM

Happy June, everybody. I started reading Nonviolent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg this weekend. I have a feeling that it's going to be one of those books that is so rich that it takes me a while to work through it!
#7 of 203 Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 AM

The Most Beautiful Girl in the World by Judy Doenges

After Robin's mother dies, she is left with her Dad, a junk and drug dealer, and her Grandma, a former Vegas showgirl who has an endless supply of male "friends". Even in a small, depressed town like Lilac, IL, her family stands out as particularly dysfunctional. Add to that Robin's almost obsessive like love for her best friend Lynn. A coming of age of sorts, I found the end to be lacking. I felt like the author never really invested herself into any one of the characters.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#8 of 203 Old 06-01-2009, 12:09 PM

I had a rough time last month.

I finished all the Harry Potter series except the last two which I will be picking up today. And I reread the Twilight series this weekend.
#9 of 203 Old 06-01-2009, 06:19 PM

Joining ya'll! I guess my first book will count as a May/June read though, as I started it on Sat. and haven't finished it yet. It's The Shack by William P. Young
#10 of 203 Old 06-02-2009, 12:48 PM

Whoa! What's up with the new format? Yikes! ::::::
#11 of 203 Old 06-02-2009, 03:05 PM

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Wow. A wonderful book. The characters are so rich and the plot is delivered at a nice steady pace. But, this is not a cheery book. It tells the tale of four people living in India during "The Emergency" in the 1970's. We follow their lives before they meet, and while they know eachother, and what happens to them after they drift apart. It IS a fine balance between hope and despair.
#12 of 203 Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM

May books (just because I feel like listing them!):

1. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
2. A Ship Made of Paper by Scott Spencer
3. Lost and Found by Carolyn Parkhurst
4. Atonement by Ian McEwan
5. Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
6. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
7. Kaaterskill Falls by Allegra Goodman
8. The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank
9. The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai

June is starting with me reading The Ladies' Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis, which so far I am really enjoying.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#13 of 203 Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
Whoa! What's up with the new format? Yikes! ::::::
New format?

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#14 of 203 Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
New format?
The Mothering.com new format. Doesn't the forum look different? I'm annoyed because none of the drop-down menus work for me anymore. I can't figure out how to fix it.

ANYWAY.

33. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) - Rick Riordan

YA/Fantasy - 2.5 stars. Percy Jackson is a troubled kid at a school for troubled youth, suffering from dyslexia and has ADHD. On a field trip, his math teacher warps into an evil creature and tries to kill him, but he kills her first with a pen that changed into a sword...or did he? Percy finds out that he's a Half-Blood, meaning that one of his parents is a Greek God/Goddess. In this case it's his dad, because he knows his mom. When supernatural beings start trying to kill him in full force, it's up to Percy to save himself - and the world from World War III.

I found this to be kind of boring, derivative, and just unoriginal. Too many Harry Potter similarities to mention. The premise sounds kind of cool, but I don't know, the story just did not do it for me at all. Maybe 8-12 year old boys would really dig it? But since I'm a 30 year old woman (who loves YA, nonetheless) I won't be continuing this series unless I hear of drastic improvements.

1. One Foot In the Grave - Jeaniene Frost 2. Shadow Kiss - Richelle Mead 3. Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooling Life - Rue Kream 4. Lord of Misrule (Morganville Vampires, Book 5) - Rachel Caine 5. Sunshine - Robin McKinley 6. Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) - Jim Butcher 7. Magic to the Bone - Devon Monk 8. Bone Crossed - Patricia Briggs 9. Impossible - Nancy Werlin 10. I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone - Stephanie Kuehnert 11. Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand - Carrie Vaughn 12. At Grave's End (Night Huntress, Book 3) - Jeaniene Frost 13. Beguilement (The Sharing Knife, Volume One) - Lois McMaster Bujold 14. Legacy (The Sharing Knife, Volume Two) - Lois McMaster Bujold 15. Passage (The Sharing Knife, Volume Three) - Lois McMaster Bujold 16. White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, Book 7) - Kim Harrison 17. The Official Ubuntu Book, 3rd Ed - Benjamin Mako Hill, et al 18. Graceling - Kristin Cashore 19. Holidays are Hell: "Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel" - Kim Harrison 20. Dates From Hell: "Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil" - Kim Harrison 21. Hunted (House of Night, Book 5) - P.C. and Kristin Cast 22. Hotter Than Hell: "Dirty Magic" - Kim Harrison 23. Greywalker - Kat Richardson 24. Horizon (The Sharing Knife, Volume 4) - Lois McMaster Bujold 25. Taking Charge of Your Fertility - Toni Weschler 26. The Girl Who Could Fly - Victoria Forester 27. Those Left Behind (Serenity, Vol. 1) - Joss Whedon, et al 28. Scent of Shadows(Signs of the Zodiac #1) - Vicki Petterson 29. Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse #9) - Charlaine Harris 30. Crouching Vampire, Hidden Fang (Dark Ones) - Katie MacAlister 31. A Long Way from Chicago - Richard Peck 32. Alanna: The First Adventure - Tamora Pierce 33. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) - Rick Riordan

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#15 of 203 Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
New format?
You don't have a whole new format? My mdc used to be a beige and purple and kinda soft edged. Now it's blocky and all purple and white and green. I'm so confused! :
#16 of 203 Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 PM

#29 Grave Peril by Jim Butcher
Book #3 of the Dresden Files is, I think, a stronger book than the first 2. I enjoyed the first 2, but this one had a little more heft to it and was more than just a "monster of the week" type book.

#30 Summer Knight by Jim Butcher
Also, enjoyable. Quick read though. Book 4 of the Dresden Files.

#31 Children of God by Mary Doria RussellThis is a sequel to The Sparrow, and it was just as good as the first. A little better stylistically even. I really enjoyed this book, and I hope that there is another one in this universe. Although, to be fair, I've enjoyed everything I've read that she's written, and really, I just hope that she continues to write more, period.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#17 of 203 Old 06-04-2009, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
The Mothering.com new format. Doesn't the forum look different? I'm annoyed because none of the drop-down menus work for me anymore. I can't figure out how to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
You don't have a whole new format? My mdc used to be a beige and purple and kinda soft edged. Now it's blocky and all purple and white and green. I'm so confused! :
I don't go through mothering.com. I come straight to MDC through either the email links I get or www.mothering.com/discussions. That might explain it.

Also down at the bottom left corner is a box that lets you change the color of the MDC boards.

#18 of 203 Old 06-04-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post

ANYWAY.

33. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) - Rick Riordan

YA/Fantasy - 2.5 stars. Percy Jackson is a troubled kid at a school for troubled youth, suffering from dyslexia and has ADHD. On a field trip, his math teacher warps into an evil creature and tries to kill him, but he kills her first with a pen that changed into a sword...or did he? Percy finds out that he's a Half-Blood, meaning that one of his parents is a Greek God/Goddess. In this case it's his dad, because he knows his mom. When supernatural beings start trying to kill him in full force, it's up to Percy to save himself - and the world from World War III.

I found this to be kind of boring, derivative, and just unoriginal. Too many Harry Potter similarities to mention. The premise sounds kind of cool, but I don't know, the story just did not do it for me at all. Maybe 8-12 year old boys would really dig it? But since I'm a 30 year old woman (who loves YA, nonetheless) I won't be continuing this series unless I hear of drastic improvements.
I'm not having issues with MDC either....?
I actually really enjoy this series, I think something about the brand of humor in it really appeals to me -- I'm getting ready to read the most recent one. But yeah, I think DH feels much the way you do.
#19 of 203 Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 AM

1. The Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis

I really liked this book! It took place in a very tight Orthodox Jewish community in Memphis. Everyone is very religious and most of the people have lived there for a very long time. Everything is shaken up when a single mother and her daughter come to live there. She is a Jewish convert and definitely more of a free spirit than everyone else.

I loved reading about the community, about their traditions, and about how someone who was different affected the way they interacted with her and with each other.

(Also, the name Tova is one of my favorite girl names ever! If dh liked it more, I'd name our baby that if it's a girl. )

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#20 of 203 Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I don't go through mothering.com. I come straight to MDC through either the email links I get or www.mothering.com/discussions. That might explain it.

Also down at the bottom left corner is a box that lets you change the color of the MDC boards.
I usually come here from my email links too. And it was different when I arrived the other day. It's been a few days, so I'm a little more used to it now. It was a big surprise the other day though! It's not just the colors that look different, but the format is slightly different too, for me anyway.

#26 Just Do It, How One Couple Turned Off the TV and Turned On Their Sex Lives For 101 Days (No Excuses) by Douglas Brown

Kinda cute book, I liked it. Funny anecdotes about their living through what they called "the marathon". Kinda inspiring really for someone also with 2 kids and more than 7 years into a marriage.

Okay, so I went down to the design selection thing, and it looks like my format went automatically to the "new design". I used to use the "tan design". The new design is just a tad blockier I think?
#21 of 203 Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 PM

Just picked up a bunch of holds at the library! : Going to try to get through:

Inkheart
Water for Elephants
The Undomestic Goddess

in the next three weeks!

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#22 of 203 Old 06-05-2009, 10:39 AM

hmm...fiestabeth, i forgot about water for elephants...once upon a time i thought i'd read that one.

greeny, i felt as you did about this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
#9 The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai

I barely finished this in time to make the May list! I know this book won all kinds of awards, but I found it really hard to get through. Not very compelling. I didn't find myself caring about the characters much. The history/cultural aspects of it were interesting, but the story itself and the characters left, for me at least, a lot to be desired.
i finished Instructions to the Cook by Bernie Glassman, a zen teacher and social activist. he used the story of his community's work and the zen metaphor of using the ingredients available, what you have right now (not in the past or future) to "cook" your best possible life. it was good, but not highly exciting. i enjoyed John Daido Loori's Zen and the Art of Creativity much more.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#23 of 203 Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 AM

my last book of May was audio of Me talk pretty one day by David Sedaris. (Not my first listen.) I think he is very, very funny. I had a 7 hour drive to go to a funeral, and still I was able to escape into giggles.

for that hypothetical "what 5 famous people would you invite to a dinner party", he might make my list.

speaking of dinner parties, I want to read I like you: Hospitality under the influence by his sister Amy Sedaris.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#24 of 203 Old 06-05-2009, 01:22 PM

This is the first time I've ever posted to the book club I'm kind of excited b/c this is the first week in a long time that I've been able to finish more than one book in a week in quite a while
1. On Borrowed Wings by Chandra Prasad
2. Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch
3. Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris

currently reading Bad Mother by Ayelet Waldmen & Atlas Shrugged (b/c I promised another MDC member that I would )
Happy Reading Everyone!
:

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#25 of 203 Old 06-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post

speaking of dinner parties, I want to read I like you: Hospitality under the influence by his sister Amy Sedaris.
This book is hilarious.

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#26 of 203 Old 06-05-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listipton View Post
This book is hilarious.
Totally. She is one of my favorite celebrities.
#27 of 203 Old 06-05-2009, 06:16 PM

#32 The Spy Who Haunted Me by Simon R. Green

Book #3 in the Drood saga, and this one was much better than the second. Still not as enjoyable as the first. Good beach reading.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#28 of 203 Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Inkspell by Conella Funke

Sequel to Inkheart -- this one takes place inside the book -- good but in some places I had trouble keeping track of all of the characters. Ended in the middle of a scene which I don't like. Didn't really get into this one as much as the first one -- kind of felt slow to get through. Dd is reading the last one but isn't that into it . . . don't know if I'll bother.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#29 of 203 Old 06-06-2009, 12:45 PM

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

Historical fiction about a young teen girl in Philadelphia during the yellow fever epidemic. Fast read and well written. Think this would be for upper elementary/middle school age. I'm going to pass it to my 4th grade dd.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#30 of 203 Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 PM

Oh -- and Fremontmama -- I totally noticed and was thrown by the new format too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page