Harry potter... do you ever wonder??? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 255 Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
. How can the Ministry tell that Fred & George are doing underage magic, in a house full of people doing magic...but the Ministry can't tell that it was a house elf (or whoever), not Harry, who cast the hover charm? They can either track who uses the magic (so Harry would never have received the warning), or they can't (so Fred & George would never have received their warning).

Maybe Fred and George did their magic "outside" of the house.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 255 Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I was nodding away in agreement and then I came up with the answer.

You see, they actually track ADULT wizards. So what they sensed was magic being used by an unauthorized person. Harry was personally warned because he was the only wizard in the house at all. For Fred and George, what probably happened is the Weasleys were given a warning and told to keep control of their kids.

And change all the above to : if we're certain that F/G got warnings specifically addressed to them.
in the 7th book they worried that harry still had the trace on him though... so i think the idea was that they tracked underage wizards.. if they tracked adult wizards wouldn't they have been able to find harry ron and hermione every time they use magic in book 7?
#183 of 255 Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
About Snape's potion puzzle:

http://www.zhasea.com/logic/snape.html

It's worth mentioning that Snape, the half-blood, made a logic puzzle.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#184 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 AM

1littlebit commanded me to see her HP thread, so here I am obeying her commands

(I need a mellow smilie lol)

I wonder exactly how Tonks and Lupin's love story began, I mean. Tonks is really depressed in the beginning of HBP and in the end we find out why. Then in DH she announces that she got married, and then she's pregnant and THEEENN...
little Teddy is born and that's the end of it, they die
And we don't even know exactly how they died I mean, it was really off. JK Rowling gave didn't gave them very honorable deaths, it was all so fast. I was upset by the lack of Tonks and Lupin material in the books.
It was like a dream come true to me when they finally got together.

Ugh now i'm upset (mellow).

Alee, mamma to Leon (2) and expecting #2 May '10 :
#185 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

: i totally agree. it was fast and we got no details just a few lines here and there of umm major events in the lives of major characters... i mean we get all that time devoted to bill a fluers wedding but nothing to lupin and tonks who are way more prominent characters?
#186 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM

You're right. Frankly, that was one of the most upsetting things in Deathly Hallows, the way JKR handled Tonks' and Lupin's deaths. They weren't upsetting the way Dobby's or Hedwig's tragic deaths were. The deaths were upsetting because they were awkward and didn't sit well. Just rushed. Like the whole book was rushed.

JKR wasn't really good with romantic story lines.

In my opinion Lupin had to die because all of the Marauders were going to die, and that generation would no longer be in Harry's life, that era was over. Tonks had to die so that Teddy would be an orphan. JKR wanted there to be an orphan of the final battle in the epilogue, at Platform 9 3/4 when Harry's generation is sending their children off to Hogwarts.

Which is all fine, but Tonks' death especially just stunk.

#187 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 12:53 PM

On the underage magic trace btw, Dumbledore says (in the HBP) that they trace underage magic, not grown-ups. That is why Harry was blamed for Dobbys hoover charm.
He also says, that they rely on Wizard parents to keep track of their kids and enforce the rule on them.

And I think it's quite plain throughout all of the HBP that Tonks is in love with Lupin, and the way she blurts out about it in the hospital wing, after Bill is bitten by Fenrir. I thought Lupin lost the "battle" there and then. And they get together at the end of the book, they are holding hands in Dumbledore's funeral. And then they get married that summer. Why wait when they have been in love for quite some time? And you know, pregnancy isn't that weird with two grownups in love, and even married.
But I do think it was too little about them too, but their deaths still made me very upset, bc they died and that was so sad and tragic. Two of my favorite ppl.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#188 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
You're right. Frankly, that was one of the most upsetting things in Deathly Hallows, the way JKR handled Tonks' and Lupin's deaths. They weren't upsetting the way Dobby's or Hedwig's tragic deaths were. The deaths were upsetting because they were awkward and didn't sit well. Just rushed. Like the whole book was rushed.
: After I read the book the first time one of the comments I made to a friend is that it seemed during the last book, and especially towards the end, that people were being killed off "just because". So many of the deaths seemed without reason and seemed like she threw them in there simply because she could ,especially during the last battle when Tonks, Lupin, Colin Creevy and Fred died.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#189 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM

I was disappointed with DH becuase of that All my favorite characters died...
Sirius, Fred, Lupin, Bellatrix.
But it was obvious that she was going to die

#190 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
On the underage magic trace btw, Dumbledore says (in the HBP) that they trace underage magic, not grown-ups. That is why Harry was blamed for Dobbys hoover charm.
He also says, that they rely on Wizard parents to keep track of their kids and enforce the rule on them.

And I think it's quite plain throughout all of the HBP that Tonks is in love with Lupin, and the way she blurts out about it in the hospital wing, after Bill is bitten by Fenrir. I thought Lupin lost the "battle" there and then. And they get together at the end of the book, they are holding hands in Dumbledore's funeral. And then they get married that summer. Why wait when they have been in love for quite some time? And you know, pregnancy isn't that weird with two grownups in love, and even married.
But I do think it was too little about them too, but their deaths still made me very upset, bc they died and that was so sad and tragic. Two of my favorite ppl.
I want Dobby's hoover charm. This place is a mess, dog hair everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleo View Post
I was disappointed with DH becuase of that All my favorite characters died...
Sirius, Fred, Lupin, Bellatrix.
But it was obvious that she was going to die
What a way to kill her off, too! I wasn't expecting that from Molly.

#191 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 05:06 PM

Molly's line before killing her was stupid as well. I don't know if it was just me but I remember reading/hearing that elsewhere.

#192 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I want Dobby's hoover charm. This place is a mess, dog hair everywhere.

(- an o then.)

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#193 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

i hate that bellatrix died. she is one of my favorite characters in the book and my absolute favorite in the movie. personally i thought molly killing her was very improbable... i think bellatrix could probably have out dueled her... but fred had already died so killing molly would have been a little much.

aleo those are my favorite characters too!!! i was so mad when sirius died... and the last book was brutal b/c by the end of it every character i liked was dead.

i keep reading about this alchemy thing that jk rowling did... so she apparently had certain plot points that had to happen with this? and this was more important then whether or not the plot points made sense with in the context of the characters personalities and such? like the father figure dying thing... it was like ok this has to happen so i'll introduce a father figure... they get close.... ok father figure died. wth? i thought i was over thinking the books.. but i am starting to think jk rowling did too. my favorites are the ones before everything gets all wonky.
#194 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Molly's line before killing her was stupid as well. I don't know if it was just me but I remember reading/hearing that elsewhere.
i think molly and arthur kept having kids until they had a girl... and molly wasn't about to let someone kill her only daughter.. the daughter she had always wanted... and the mindset that made ron constantly feel like his mother didn't want him.
#195 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
You heard that line in the movie Aliens when Ripley saves Newt from the alien:

Get away from her, you bitch!

Obviously Molly doesn't say that exactly, but it's what I immediately thought of.

#196 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
my favorites are the ones before everything gets all wonky.

Honestly, I think she just got sloppy in book 7. It was just a very disappointing ending to a great series.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#197 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
i keep reading about this alchemy thing that jk rowling did... so she apparently had certain plot points that had to happen with this? and this was more important then whether or not the plot points made sense with in the context of the characters personalities and such?
She might be writing a mystery novel. So if she doesn't have the alchemy framework in the way will her characters' relationships be a little more natural? I'm not sure they will! Really, she could have kept to the alchemy plot points and and still make Harry's relationship with Ginny more convincing (and make Hermione's and Ron's relationship more convincing).

Another odd thing that can be explained by alchemy: Ron's middle name is Bilious. Who the hell names their child Bilious? The word refers to bile, which is one of the ancient 'humors'. Someone who is bilious is cranky and peevish. Ron didn't seem particularly cranky to me, except when he was hungry. Perhaps in the ancient Greek tradition Bile has some alchemical reference that makes sense in terms of Harry and Ron's relationship.

It's true that, in Deathly Hallows, when they were wandering from camp site to camp site, Ron's empty stomach eventually got the best of him and he left in a low blood-sugar induced huff, which caused a lot of strife.

#198 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Really, she could have kept to the alchemy plot points and still make Harry's relationship with Ginny more convincing.
no kidding!!! she is really not good with writing about relationships.. they all just sort of come out of no where and then you don't hear anything else about it.

she spend more time on harry and cho... which i have never really understood. he was like totally infatuated with her for two years and he almost never spoke to her... they kissed before they had actually had a conversation... all they did was see each other play quidditch and he talked to her a bit at DA meetings.
#199 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 PM

I think the last book could have been better. I don't think it was bad, but it could have been better. I expected more from her.

But I don't think the relationships come out of nowhere, they are all pretty obvious to me.

#200 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post

Which makes me wonder... why have the mirror at all? It doesn't change the plot at all.
I don't think this was answered yet... the mirror is important in the last book when Harry uses a piece of it to communicate with Aberforth (although e doesn't know it's Aberforth at the time), and Aberforth sends Dobby to rescue Harry.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#201 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wasn't terribly upset by all the deaths in the end - it's war. People die. Deaths don't always have to mean something or make sense. Same with Sirius. Why does there have to be some great meaning behind it? He was killed during a battle. It happens.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#202 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 PM

only harry poter could get me to read an 11 page thread in one day..
LO is nursing like mad today, good thing because i'm loving all this hp talk! I wish I had some enigma of my own to bring up, but unfortunately i'm really a hook-line-and-sinker kind of reader..
keep it coming!!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#203 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

pssst.....ask about the mirror or erised and how those kids got out of the hogs head in book seven .. i asked but no one answered and i really want to know.. esp. since people are actually answering instead of just speculating and i really want to know!!
#204 of 255 Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 PM

ok!
Quote:
pssst.....ask about the mirror or erised and how those kids got out of the hogs head in book seven
so? any answers?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#205 of 255 Old 07-02-2009, 04:11 PM

1littlebit, remind us what your question about the mirror was specifically about?

I don't have access to my books at the moment, so I don't remember the circumstances pertaining to the students in the Hogshead. Are you referring to when Aberforth helps the Hogwarts students get in and out of the school?

#206 of 255 Old 07-02-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

when they send all of the under age wizards out of hogwarts at the end they send them to the hogs head... but what happens after that? they can't apparate they are under age!!
#207 of 255 Old 07-02-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
thats a good point! seamus finnegan was irish and i suppose he could have lived in england.. but i don't think there was a school in ireland was there? france and then wherever durmstrang was... so would wizarding kids from other countries have to get to england to catch the train?

and i still want to know how a bunch of underage wizards are supposed to disapparate our the hogs head

and if the mirror of erised made it so that only someone who wanted to find the stone but not use it could get it then wouldn't the stone have been safer if harry had never gone and tried to stop quirrel?

these are my questions. i am so glad i finally get to ask them. i didn't think of them when i first wrote the thread.. and the one about erised i have wanted to ask since i read the first book when i was 11
#208 of 255 Old 07-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
when they send all of the under age wizards out of hogwarts at the end they send them to the hogs head... but what happens after that? they can't apparate they are under age!!
i always figured either flu powder or port keys (or a combination of both, depending on where the kids were going and how many were going to a particular location). they also could have contacted parents via the flu network and the parents could have come and gotten the kids and apparated with them (what did they call that?). perhaps even some magical creatures, who knows? there are lots of magical ways to get around. and at that point in the story i doubt anyone was worried about the ministry monitoring things, they just wanted to get their kids home alive, so they would've used any means necessary.

as for the mirror... it might've been safer if no one were trying to stop quirrell, but it wouldn't have been a very interesting story
#209 of 255 Old 07-03-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
they also could have contacted parents via the flu network and the parents could have come and gotten the kids and apparated with them (what did they call that?).
Side along apparition. Good point about that. Port keys, I'm not sure about. For some reason ( and I could be wrong) I am thinking that it takes above average talent in magick to create a port key, but then again we don't really know much about Aberforth and his talent levels. We know he runs a bar and has gotten in some goat related trouble, but not much else regarding how powerful he is. I think the floo powder would be a better bet. My guess would be most wizard families have a fire place that is on the floo network.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#210 of 255 Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
My guess would be most wizard families have a fire place that is on the floo network.
Or one that is very accessible near their homes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page