Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Movie-- Here there be SPOILERS! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 233 Old 07-16-2009, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Curious to hear the answer on this, too.

After seeing the trailer, I abandoned the idea of taking a younger relation to see it. I think this movie may be too scary for *me*, much as I love the books and previous movies.

I really have a hard time re-reading the scene of Dumbledore drinking the potion, etc. I don't think I will enjoy watching it, either
#62 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Ds really wants to see it (he's not quite 7 yet). He's watched all the other movies and was completely fine with them (no scared, etc).

Is this one seriously scary (more so than the others)?
Is there anything else that would not be appropriate for a 7 yr old?

I could have swore I posted. I would not take my 7 yr old. But my 7 yr old hasn't seen the 5th one.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#63 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
it certainly wasn't "You can keep me in your bed if you want" but I do believe it wasn't "You can have this locked up in here too if you want" but very very close to it. I remember the first thing I thought after hearing that was that she wanted much more than a kiss though.
I saw it again tonight. She said (and not a direct quote, as I wasn't taking notes) "You can keep this hidden in here as well if you'd like".

Quote:
Ds really wants to see it (he's not quite 7 yet). He's watched all the other movies and was completely fine with them (no scared, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

After seeing the trailer, I abandoned the idea of taking a younger relation to see it. I think this movie may be too scary for *me*, much as I love the books and previous movies.

I really have a hard time re-reading the scene of Dumbledore drinking the potion, etc. I don't think I will enjoy watching it, either
Emotionally, it's deep stuff. I don't really like the fact that pluggedinonline is run by Focus on the Family, but they do an excellent job of listing anything and everything anyone could possibly be offended or bothered by.

Here is their play-by-play of Half-Blood Prince:
http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movie...s/a0004650.cfm

I could never, in good conscience recommend that anyone take a 7-year-old to see it, no matter how mature they think their kid might be. It's heavy, emotional, scary stuff.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#64 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
I could have swore I posted. I would not take my 7 yr old. But my 7 yr old hasn't seen the 5th one.
Yep, it was upthread to my inquiry.

Took 7 year old, despite better judgement not to. We lasted 5 minutes then left and went to see Up in 3D.

The previews alone were brutal. The first scene is Harry with blood on his face - that pretty much did it for DS.

10 year old DD LOVED it. 7 year old DS loved Up.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#65 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

So, saw it again tonight.

A couple more thoughts:

I love, love the beginning, in the aftermath of the ministry when Dumbledore puts hand on Harry's arm.

Also, what was the waitress saying about seeing herself in the Prophet?

I also loved how Hermione's hair got bushier and bushier in the Potions scene.

And I loved the hospital wing scene even more tonight.

I also realized that the lack of emoting on Daniel Radcliffe's part kind of went hand-in-hand with what seemed wrong with him hiding under the Astronomy Tower-- it just seemed kind of opportunistic, like he was obeying Dumbledore because it served him. Granted, this could have to do with Dumbledore saying multiple times about him being special, irreplacable, The Chosen One, etc.

So, those are my second-time around thoughts.

Oh, except for the Dumbledore freaking rocks. He's like the Moses of the Wizarding world, parting a lake of flambe Inferi. Awesome.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#66 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Also, why the hell did the costumer decide that Harry Potter pretty much only wears plaid flannel shirts?!?! That's not canon.

#67 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluebird View Post
I saw it and LOVED it. Reading the comments, I am *so* glad I didn't re-read the book again recently. I like to be able to enjoy the movie for what it is. They're always going to have to leave stuff out and make changes - those books are so darn long they won't fit in a regular movie. I will say, the movie was 2.5 hours and I didn't feel it at all. I should have been tired (midnight showing, been up since 8am) but I was so engrossed in the story.

I thought the scene with Dumbledore in the cave was positively epic in terms of visuals. A slightly morbid thought occurred to me later: when that actor passes away one day, that scene will show up in all the montages paying tribute to him. It has to. It was just gorgeous. And who didn't want to stand on their chair and cheer when Dumbledore kicks ass again??
Um... the theater I was in was whooping and hollering and clapping when it cut back to Dumbledore standing on the rock in the whirlwind of fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummies View Post
I actually liked the wand tribute thing to DD. I thought it was really cool to see and there just wasn't enough time for a funeral. I mean, really, the funeral (even in the book) didn't do anything to move the plot forward.

I do wish the kiss would have been a little bit more than just a peck because of all the buildup.
I LOVED the wand thing. The symbolism of the peaceful protest and the light casting out the dark was really powerful. I totally bawled at this part.

I was actually pleased with the innocence of the kiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

Now I feel old. When I saw the first movie, I took my six-month-old daughter along and was 28!
This is the typical reaction when I talk about HP I think I come at this series in a TOTALLY different way because I was almost 11 when I read the first book so I grew up literally with Harry. KWIM?

Quote:
So, saw it again tonight.

A couple more thoughts:

I love, love the beginning, in the aftermath of the ministry when Dumbledore puts hand on Harry's arm.

Also, what was the waitress saying about seeing herself in the Prophet?

I also loved how Hermione's hair got bushier and bushier in the Potions scene.

And I loved the hospital wing scene even more tonight.

I also realized that the lack of emoting on Daniel Radcliffe's part kind of went hand-in-hand with what seemed wrong with him hiding under the Astronomy Tower-- it just seemed kind of opportunistic, like he was obeying Dumbledore because it served him. Granted, this could have to do with Dumbledore saying multiple times about him being special, irreplacable, The Chosen One, etc.

So, those are my second-time around thoughts.

Oh, except for the Dumbledore freaking rocks. He's like the Moses of the Wizarding world, parting a lake of flambe Inferi. Awesome.

Lucky! I want to go again. I loved the hand at the ministry thing too. I thought it set the tone really well.

The waitress' comment was something like "odd paper you read, I swear the other day I saw a picture move!"

The hair thing cracked me and my BFF up. We were in stitches over that one!
#68 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Also, why the hell did the costumer decide that Harry Potter pretty much only wears plaid flannel shirts?!?! That's not canon.
Plaid, cardigans, haven't you heard? Harry, Ron, and Hermione are HIPSTERS!

Oh, on that note, did anyone notice at the start of year feast as they panned over the students there was totally a scenester wizard (looked like a member of the cure!)
#69 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 10:08 AM

I get to go again on monday!! WOOHOO!!!

I also really liked how they picked up at the Ministry, it was awesome.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#70 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going tonight on a date with my hubby!

OMGosh, my other fave part-- watching the professor's faces during the hospital scene. Snape was all "Hormones. Ew."

#71 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Are plaid shirts hip now? They're what the FFA kids wore at my high school 20 years ago.

And OK, I thought I saw a picture move makes more sense.

#72 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I'm going tonight on a date with my hubby!

OMGosh, my other fave part-- watching the professor's faces during the hospital scene. Snape was all "Hormones. Ew."

hahahahaa yeah, dh was laughing pretty hard at that part there, between Slughorn and Snape and then Lavender! LOL

Have fun on your date! Does this make your 3rd showing?

#73 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
Yes, you posted. But my son has seen all the previous movies and was not bothered in the least.

He wouldn't be bothered by blood on the face (he knows it's just a movie. Plus, he sometimes watches Ghost Whisperer with me. LOL)

I'll go to see it on my own.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#74 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yes. But in my defense I won't get to see it at all next week because I'll be chaperoning 8 youth group kids in New Orleans.

Well, maybe Monday.

#75 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, you posted. But my son has seen all the previous movies and was not bothered in the least.

He wouldn't be bothered by blood on the face (he knows it's just a movie. Plus, he sometimes watches Ghost Whisperer with me. LOL)

I'll go to see it on my own.
I had looked back up thread a couple times and went right past it each time : I hope he enjoyed it I know mine will, but he's not ready for 6, and I'm not quite ready to show him 5. We've recently had deaths in our family, so if his reaction to Diggory's death is any indication, we won't be seeing 5 with him for some time, much less 6

Quote:
Yes. But in my defense I won't get to see it at all next week because I'll be chaperoning 8 youth group kids in New Orleans.

Well, maybe Monday.
Well, then you certianly deserve the mental break before the trip!

#76 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 12:19 PM

My 7 & 9 year old have seen them all and I will take them this weekend. I swa it already and think they will do fine. I really just depends on the individual child. I would not take them to see it without seeing it myself first.

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#77 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM

We loved it! Its been a tradition to go on opening night since the first one. We took the girls 6 and 9 to it. My kids have seen all the previous ones adn they aren't bothered by that stuff. But they are also big on understanding how movies are made and have a really good understanding that none of it is real. In fact, my 6 year old was so unnaffected she leaned over near and the end and said "Mom, is it ok if I fall asleep in here?" lol. She always sleeps in the movie theater.

There was someone who brought a 2 or 3 year old a few rows back. OMG that kid was SOOOO loud! Talking non-stop and then crying and whining. It kinda ticked me off.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#78 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

What did you all think of the soundtrack? I really enjoyed it! I'm listening to it now, actualy.

#79 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 05:54 PM

Saw it with 7 year old DD today. She loved it, she was standing up the whole time in awe, she didn't talked. And when I tried to tell her something, she'll tell me to shush

But, we were a little late, and we got there the instant Harry and Dumbledore where in the station, what happened before that?

I loved the wand thing when Dumbledore died, DD cried. She was really upset that he died. She went like "NOOOOOOOOOO" when Snape killed him, you all know the rest lol.
The only thing I'm going to say, is that I hated that they changed the Remus/Tonks thing. I mean, she called him sweetheart that was lovely, was not expecting that. But I wanted to see the hospital scene, and where in the world were Bill and Fleur?
I think I'm missing something that I didn't liked...
Yeah, I'l have to think about it later.

DD was a little scared about the Inferi scene and I have to read the book again becuase I read it sometime ago when it came out, 2 years ago I think or 3.

Lorna, mommy to Leonor & Leonardo (31/10/01) and Riccardo (14/11/07), wife to Ignacio (98')
#80 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
What did you all think of the soundtrack? I really enjoyed it! I'm listening to it now, actualy.
I can't wait to get it!!

#81 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 PM

I was just discussing this thread with ds1 (he and I spend a lot of time tearing apart the HP books and the movies). DD1 was listening. She's six, and contributed this:

"It will be just like all the other Harry Potter movies. Talk, talk, battle, magic, talk, talk, there's Voldemort - what difference does it make?"

ummm...ooookay.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#82 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsaratea View Post
My friend and I are theorizing that the Burrow blaze, plus no buildup of the Fleur/Bill thing= no wedding scene in next film. Which, yes, sounds like blasphemy but with the changes we saw today...who knows?
I've been wondering about that for a while. Except for their names being mentioned, Bill and Charlie have both been conspicuously absent from the movies. In the books, Rowling started to work them in a little bit with GoF, but they just haven't been there at all in the movies.

I won't be seeing this one until it comes out on DVD (new nursling makes going to a movie very impractical right now...wish it had come out in November, the way it was originally supposed to). But, I'm already concerned about the last one/two. I think Rowling brought in too much new stuff (all the heavy wand lore, Dumbledore's past & the Hallows, plus elaboration on a lot of older stuff) in Deathly Hallows, anyway, and it sounds like there are going to have to be a lot of changes. What about Shell Cottage? That's one of the main refuges that Harry, Ron & Hermione use - heck, it's where Dobby is buried! I'm also worried about Kreatur (sp?). I can't remember if he appears in Half-Blood Prince or not, but he was barely present in the OotP movie. The house elves are pretty important in the last book.

I have a bad feeling that the last two movies are going to be a mess.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#83 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 07:52 PM

alrighty, caught up.
saw the movie with my dad and son. there are a couple of parts i am disapointed in. the whole tonks/renus relationship just gone. and i liked lavender but honestly i could have seen less of her and ron and more of harry and ginny. normally i wish for more of the other characters and less of harry so me thinking that says alot. i think its an important plotline. as a whole the movie felt like a skmimmed over version of the book, now i understand you cannot put every detail of a long long book into a single film, however, i feel as thought some important details were left out. although, now weritten out i seem like i wish for a literal translation of the book onto the screen. i'll be seeing it again soon, for sure. i fully enjoyed it.

imdc is a great site for helping judge is a movie is good for a certain age group, without a religious bias like focus on the family, it very carefully spells out the number of time a swear word is used, deaths, smoking, druguse, drinking, sex etc. etc. etc. and so far the only movie in years ive been disapointed in seeing i didnt check with imdc for a description. really try it out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417741/

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#84 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm bride View Post
i was just discussing this thread with ds1 (he and i spend a lot of time tearing apart the hp books and the movies). Dd1 was listening. She's six, and contributed this:

"it will be just like all the other harry potter movies. Talk, talk, battle, magic, talk, talk, there's voldemort - what difference does it make?"

ummm...ooookay.

too funny!:d

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#85 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
What about Shell Cottage? That's one of the main refuges that Harry, Ron & Hermione use - heck, it's where Dobby is buried!

Well, they've been building it...

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Shell_Cottage

http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/picture/235942

#86 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 09:59 PM

I didn't care for the movie. I tried to go in without any expectations but it still bothered me. Even my kids were complaining. We're not going to go see the next two movies. We'll just wait for them to come out on DVD.

My 5 yo wanted to come and see it with us (I took my 9 and 11 yo). I didn't bring him because I thought it would be scary and too long. I don't think it would have scared him but I think he would have been bored and fidgeting and talking. Of course, he wouldn't have been the only one talking and the people involved were much older than 5.
#87 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

They've already filmed tons of stuff at Shell Cottage.

So, third time and I noticed:

If you look behind the Professors' table in the Great Hall, you can see the hourglasses for house points!

Also, even though it's supposed to be after eleven when they go to Slughorn's, the clocks all say 10:35.

#88 of 233 Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 PM

I went to the midnight premiere for the first time! What a hoot!

Hubby has a theory on the stuff that was missing, such as the Bill/Fleur thing and the Hogwarts battle. He says since Book 7 is two movies they likely saved some Book 6 stuff to put in the next movie where there will be more time for it. After all, this movie was already 2.5 hours...

I TOTALLY agree that Harry not being frozen was waaaayyy wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. And would have been so easy for them to do it right. Sheesh.

All in all I liked it though. Maybe it was the popcorn.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#89 of 233 Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
I TOTALLY agree that Harry not being frozen was waaaayyy wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. And would have been so easy for them to do it right. Sheesh.

All in all I liked it though. Maybe it was the popcorn.
yep.:
#90 of 233 Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
They've already filmed tons of stuff at Shell Cottage.

So, third time and I noticed:

If you look behind the Professors' table in the Great Hall, you can see the hourglasses for house points!

Also, even though it's supposed to be after eleven when they go to Slughorn's, the clocks all say 10:35.
Loved that. When the great hall was all smashed and empty at the end, I looked at that and whispered "at least Gryffindor is winning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
Hubby has a theory on the stuff that was missing, such as the Bill/Fleur thing and the Hogwarts battle. He says since Book 7 is two movies they likely saved some Book 6 stuff to put in the next movie where there will be more time for it. After all, this movie was already 2.5 hours...

I agree with both of those things

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page