Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Movie-- Here there be SPOILERS! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 233 Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just think it's cute that 6 movies into it, you all still expect the movies to be anything like the book. Hope spring eternal...

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#122 of 233 Old 07-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oooooooohh!! So glad I didn't do a pre-re-read this time. Learned my lesson last time.That made it to where I knew just enough of the plot to not be confused, but forgot just enough to enjoy the "new/rearranged" stuff.

Although, I can't understand how people who haven't read the book can get what's going on?!?! There's so many underlying details that explain what's going on in front of you?!? KWIM?

I seriously enjoyed though...heck, even my 4.5 yo sat still through the entire thing and was still talking about it all this morning after two days. He was even facinated with the Inferi. Loved that the most of the theatre jumped when I knew it was coming.

I LOVED the dark cinematography. It was very well shot. That alone was worth the money to see it.

All in all, it was great for what it is...a money maker. Me and the kiddo give it a

Center
#123 of 233 Old 07-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I just think it's cute that 6 movies into it, you all still expect the movies to be anything like the book. Hope spring eternal...
OMG. That's like the scene with the three and Professor Mcg. where she says something like, "Why is it after all these years you three are always there when something goes amiss?" and Ron says, "I wonder the same."

...er, uh, something like that....you get the point.
Best part of the movie...so to speak.

Center
#124 of 233 Old 07-20-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post
OMG. That's like the scene with the three and Professor Mcg. where she says something like, "Why is it after all these years you three are always there when something goes amiss?" and Ron says, "I wonder the same."

Yep, something like that.

And I liked that part, too!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#125 of 233 Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Beth, I just read Roger Ebert's review of HBP and he mentioned the same thing; it's difficult to follow the plot if you haven't read the books.

Has anyone read Mary Stewart's the Crystal Cave? I have not. But I believe it's the story of Merlin, and he has visions while in a cave of crystals. I noticed that the cave of the lake in HBP was full of crystals. The island is a big crystal formation and even the basin is crystal. And here is where Dumbledore has his visions. Cool, huh?
i imagine jk read hundreds of books in order to write hp. i know that alot of her plots, storylines, subplots, etc. are very similar to what other writers have historically written.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#126 of 233 Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
i imagine jk read hundreds of books in order to write hp. i know that a lot of her plots, storylines, subplots, etc. are very similar to what other writers have historically written.
Actually I was referring to the movie cave. In the book I believe JKR describes the island in the lake as flat (it's been a while since I read it). In the movie it's chock full of crystalline structures. So I'm pretty sure that's a little addition of the movie makers'. I like it.

Gellert Grindelwald has been cast already. It's the young man from Sweeny Todd,

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2570429/

He's also in the next Twilight movie. I'll have to tell dd. She's 14 y.o. She'll flip. A connection between HP, Sweeny Todd and Twilight!!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#127 of 233 Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 PM

Haven't quite gotten through the entire thread yet, but I wanted to point out two of the many, many things that annoyed me (because honestly, DH is sick of hearing it).

1. Michael Gambon. I just hate it. I was so relieved when he finally kicked it. I'll give you this-he didn't play Dumbledore like a linebacker this film, but, he just doesn't embody any of the magical-ness of Dumbledore.

2. After Harry gets the real memory from Slughorn and he and DD watch it-DD goes on to say that he never imagined that Voldy was making horcruxes. Two sentences later, Harry says "You've been looking for them all this time, haven't you," to which DD replies, "Yes. And I think I've found one." HUH? I thought you just said you didn't know what it was you were dealing with? That you had no clue about the horcruxes? W.T.F.????

More late. Computer's about to die!
#128 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 AM

I just want to say that it's nice to know that other people don't like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, either. DS1 and I have disliked his portrayal right from the beginning. The original Dumbledore was so much better. I read somewhere that Gambon deliberately didn't read the books, because he wanted to portray Dumbledore his way...big mistake, imo. The scripts don't really do justice to Dumbledore's personality, so the actor really has to do it properly. I like most of the casting in these movies, but not him.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#129 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgracefrank View Post
Haven't quite gotten through the entire thread yet, but I wanted to point out two of the many, many things that annoyed me (because honestly, DH is sick of hearing it).

1. Michael Gambon. I just hate it. I was so relieved when he finally kicked it. I'll give you this-he didn't play Dumbledore like a linebacker this film, but, he just doesn't embody any of the magical-ness of Dumbledore.

2. After Harry gets the real memory from Slughorn and he and DD watch it-DD goes on to say that he never imagined that Voldy was making horcruxes. Two sentences later, Harry says "You've been looking for them all this time, haven't you," to which DD replies, "Yes. And I think I've found one." HUH? I thought you just said you didn't know what it was you were dealing with? That you had no clue about the horcruxes? W.T.F.????

More late. Computer's about to die!
I thought he said something like "It's worse than I imagined" or something like that. Not that he didn't know about them at all. I've only seen it once though so I could totally be wrong!

DH doesn't like Gambon's DD either. He much prefers the first one. I don't care either way.

I'm really glad they kept the scene with Hermione conjuring the birds. I thought that was cute!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#130 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Yep, something like that.

And I liked that part, too!

And then Snape says something about Harry being the chosen one, and McGonagall gives the "Oh crap" look to Severus. I liked that scene!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#131 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 01:25 PM

At least it was better than the last one.
Order of the Phoenix was my favorite book, but I felt like they destroyed the movie. I'm relieved that they didn't do such a horrid job with this one!

I'm disappointed that there was no battle at the end. And I would've preferred for Harry to be frozen in place while Snape killed Dumbledore. I would've liked more Bill/ Fleur, Lupin/ Tonks, and Harry/ Ginny romance, and less of Lavender Brown. I don't like that the Burrow was burned to the ground. And I agree that the horcrux thing should've been better explained. Slughorn wasn't the way I imagined him at all.

But, still, much better than the last one! And that's all I really went in hoping for.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#132 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
At least it was better than the last one.
Order of the Phoenix was my favorite book, but I felt like they destroyed the movie. I'm relieved that they didn't do such a horrid job with this one!
But, still, much better than the last one! And that's all I really went in hoping for.
Totally agreed with all of the above. Yay, it didn't suck! :

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#133 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 03:17 PM

The more I think about it (and I'm just trying really hard to keep my mind off of Twilight ), the more I like the part where Harry wasn't frozen when DD was killed.

The book-reader part of me is a bit miffed, but the movie-goer in me is astonished at the total blatentency of Snape's betrayal to Harry...I don't think they could have found a better way to portray Snape's betrayal to those that haven't read the book.

Total trust on Harry's part; total back stabbing from Snape...much more powerful that way.

Center
#134 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 03:45 PM

I love Gambon as Dumbledore...and I loved Slughorn...Broadbent is fantastic.

I think 100 directors would film this pic 100 different ways.

I have to see it again, my 4 yr old dd was very bored and needed a bit of attention. She wasn't scared at all. My 8 yr old did yell out loud when the inferi grabbed Harry.

I though the burrow burning was terrible because there was so much stuff in the book they ignored and added that "pointless" scene.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#135 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Here are my thoughts, in no particular order :

The burning of the Burrow. That whole scene was very WTF for me. It was just a weird, disjointed addition. A waste of a valuable minutes that should have been spent elsewhere.

The cave scene: Is it just me or had anyone else pictured the Inferi differently? I was picturing something more like the dead marshes in the LOTR. And I thought Dumbledore's agony could have been played up more in that scene.

Overall, I thought that Gambon finally got Dumbledore right. And I have enjoyed watching Radcliffe, Grint and Watson all improve and develop in their acting. It was painful to watch them the first couple of movies, and even in the last couple they all had some distracting qualities to their acting, but I thought the three of them have finally gotten to a good acting place.

I think my major problem with the movie was the lack of the Gaunt storyline. I mean, these were things that are central to Voldemort's character development.

The Death Eaters lack of anything productive in the end. Seriously, Draco had been working so hard to get the cabinet fixed so they could stand around? Abimommy, I like your version of the Death Eaters

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#136 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

"Believe me, I've been asking myself the same question."

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#137 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 PM

I went to see it again today and enjoyed it even more the second time around.

I listened for the line where Hermione says "All hand on deck" but missed it again. Where is that line and why is it funny?

I really thought the color palette was gorgeous and the whole thing was beautifully filmed.

Even though I don't understand why they had to burn down the burrow ( maybe they wanted to show how vulnerable they all were?) it was visually very stunning. Made my stomach clench up even the second time around.

MAYBE they will start the next movie with the wedding scene? Or maybe they will have it all happen at Tonks and Lupin's wedding??? They change so much around...who knows what they will do...

I wish my brother would cease and desist with his personal protest and go WITH me to see it. He's still miffed that they delayed it from a Christmas release to a summer release...I get it, but wow, it's GREAT on the big screen!

:

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#138 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly View Post
I wish my brother would cease and desist with his personal protest and go WITH me to see it. He's still miffed that they delayed it from a Christmas release to a summer release...I get it, but wow, it's GREAT on the big screen!
I'm miffed, too. If it had come out at Christmas, I could have gone to see it. But, now I have a 3-and-a-bit week old nursling, and I can't leave her to go to a long movie. Grrr...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#139 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelofpeace View Post
I think my major problem with the movie was the lack of the Gaunt storyline. I mean, these were things that are central to Voldemort's character development.
I know! That really was my favorite part of HBP. For some reason I love all the "evil/bad" wizarding families. They're just so interesting. I would love a spin-off book series focusing on those families (back story).

Hopefully they will go all out with showing the creepy Gaunts in DH.
#140 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

It's when Slughorn slops his drink on Hermione at The Three Broomsticks. He says "All hands on deck, Granger!" I don't know why it's funny. It just it.

Here's the scene:
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/07/09...me-butterbeer/

#141 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I'm miffed, too. If it had come out at Christmas, I could have gone to see it. But, now I have a 3-and-a-bit week old nursling, and I can't leave her to go to a long movie. Grrr...
Can't you go and nurse through the movie? I did when mine was that age. He loved it... hours in the dark attached to me....

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#142 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

All my new babies have been to Potter films.

Also, I like how Emma Watson says "snogging". I walk around the house trying to capture the accent, but alas, I cannot.

#143 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Also, I like how Emma Watson says "snogging". I walk around the house trying to capture the accent, but alas, I cannot.
She has the loveliest voice and accent. In "The Tale of Despereaux" I can't help but see Hermione when the Princess talks!

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#144 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Here are my thoughts, in no particular order :

The burning of the Burrow. That whole scene was very WTF for me. It was just a weird, disjointed addition. A waste of a valuable minutes that should have been spent elsewhere.
The burning of the Burrow was unnecessary. DH who hadn't read the books thought some of the Weaselys died in the fire.

Quote:
The cave scene: Is it just me or had anyone else pictured the Inferi differently? I was picturing something more like the dead marshes in the LOTR. And I thought Dumbledore's agony could have been played up more in that scene.
I didn't picture the Inferi that way either. They just weren't scary to me. I expected them to be more frightening.

I expected much more from Dumbledore in that scene. The scene in the book where he has to drink the potion did me in. It was such an emotional scene. As a viewer it was easier to stomach the scene in the film because it wasn't played up enough.
Quote:
Overall, I thought that Gambon finally got Dumbledore right. And I have enjoyed watching Radcliffe, Grint and Watson all improve and develop in their acting. It was painful to watch them the first couple of movies, and even in the last couple they all had some distracting qualities to their acting, but I thought the three of them have finally gotten to a good acting place.
I haven't been too displeased with Gambon as DD. Although in the Goblet of Fire I felt it was so out of character to push Harry around when Harry's name comes out of the Goblet of Fire as one of the TriWizard contestants. DD would never be rough like that esp not with Harry.

The kids are much better actors esp Emma Watson. She was pretty awful in the beginning. Her eyebrow acting was too much. She overacted in many scenes when she was younger. She's more subtle now. The scene where she was crying on Harry's shoulder because Ron was gaga over Lavender was really well done. I thought Ron was marvelous. He was quite funny. So was Daniel. I loved his scenes after he took the good luck liquid. It was nice to see him comical.

Quote:
YES! The Gaunt storyline is so key to the link with the other Horcruxes and the Hallows. Also necessary was the revelation that Snape divulged the partial prophecy to Voldemort. Otherwise people who haven't read the book won't fully realize his lifelong regret and his promise to DD. Maybe they'll cover all that somehow in the next film but I'm not too optimistic because there's just SO much to cover in the last film.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#145 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
Can't you go and nurse through the movie? I did when mine was that age. He loved it... hours in the dark attached to me....
Quote:
hmm....do you two have theaters that are more quiet than ours? I suppose I could try it, but I can't see it going well. Our movies are loud.

#146 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just keep them in the sling and sat by the door. The noise didn't seem to bug them, and they were nestled down in the sling.

#147 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 PM

hmm...I don't have a sling...maybe the Ergo would work. I can't put her in it for more than a few minutes yet, but HBP should be in the theater for a while, I think.

#148 of 233 Old 07-21-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
It's when Slughorn slops his drink on Hermione at The Three Broomsticks. He says "All hands on deck, Granger!" I don't know why it's funny. It just it.

Here's the scene:
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/07/09...me-butterbeer/
Quote:
Yay! Thanks, annettemarie! It IS funny...like a nautical reference due to the slopping of the waves ( of butterbeer!)

Storm Bride, I hope you get to go! Is your little one easily distracted or is nursing through it, as others have suggested, a possibililty?

I may go one more time this week. After this week, it's back to our regularly scheduled stress and chaos.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#149 of 233 Old 07-22-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
hmm...I don't have a sling...maybe the Ergo would work. I can't put her in it for more than a few minutes yet, but HBP should be in the theater for a while, I think.
Can you borrow a ring sling or a moby off a friend? IMO there's nothing like a ring sling for getting a newborn nice and swaddled up against you. We called ours the magic sling because it put DD to sleep. I swear sometimes she was nodding off before I got the rails tightened up all the way

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program. . .

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#150 of 233 Old 07-22-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
hmm....do you two have theaters that are more quiet than ours? I suppose I could try it, but I can't see it going well. Our movies are loud.
Well, yeah, they are loud. I took a thick, fuzzy blanket to snuggle around him and he did not seem to mind.

I went back and read my blog about it and I mentioned that when he came up for air he liked the bright lights on the screen! So cute!

Ok, back to the HP thread!

ETA: I don't remember the movie being louder than the two-year-old toddler at home!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page