Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Movie-- Here there be SPOILERS! - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 233 Old 08-16-2009, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cant believe they left out Voldemort's background. Ok he's in an orphanage, but how did he get there??? It doesn't seem like it would take much time to show the memory of the Gaunt house and explain about V's mom and dad. Also I wanted to see the scene where V comes back to ask for a job as def against the dark arts teacher and we can see the transformation from riddle to Voldemort.

Did anyone else like the Tom Riddle from chamber of secrets better?

What happened to Mcgonnugal getting stunned in the chest??

The btw Im the half blood prince from snape seemed so anti climactic.

So much is different in the movie. I just try to accept that the movies is it's own thing seperate from the book.

Is it a different director next time?

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#212 of 233 Old 08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

Wasn't McGonagal stunned in the chest towards the end of OotP?
#213 of 233 Old 08-16-2009, 05:50 PM

Oh you're right. They left it out of that movie too!

#214 of 233 Old 08-16-2009, 05:54 PM

I read this on wiki

Quote:
David Yates has announced that the Battle Of The Astronomy Tower will be in Part One of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows . Evanna Lynch, Bonnie Wright and Matthew Lewis are all confirmed to be in the scene. Also, the four heads of houses, Maggie Smith, Jim Broadbent, Miriam Margolyes, and Warwick Davis are confirmed to be there

#215 of 233 Old 08-17-2009, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I just saw this movie ... I must first admit that I have an ENORMOUS crush on Severus Snape. I mean, I loved the character before I knew Alan Rickman was going to play him. I have another huge crush on Alan Rickman.

So, just because of that, I'm 100% biased. I loved all the wonderful scenes with Snape in them. So sexy, lol.

I couldn't even be sad at the death scene because Rickman was just so good looking and sexy in it.
I love Alan Rickman as Snape. So dark and brooding. I wish I was Lily. And his voice is something else. He could read me the phone book with that voice of his and I would be in heaven.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#216 of 233 Old 08-17-2009, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambystoma View Post
I know what you mean. I pretty much blush every time he's on screen, and then I feel like I'm a teenager at the prom It doesn't help that DH knows all about my serious crush (on Snape the character and the lovely Mr. Rickman) and teased me during the movie. He leaned over to me during the unbreakable vow scene and said, "his hair looks really good like that" and I had to elbow him.
I think his hair looked better, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
I read this on wiki

Quote:
David Yates has announced that the Battle Of The Astronomy Tower will be in Part One of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows . Evanna Lynch, Bonnie Wright and Matthew Lewis are all confirmed to be in the scene. Also, the four heads of houses, Maggie Smith, Jim Broadbent, Miriam Margolyes, and Warwick Davis are confirmed to be there
Soooo -they're going to show a flash back? Well, that'll be nice, better than not portraying the battle at all. But it would have been so much more exciting to include it at the end of HBP, where it belongs.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#217 of 233 Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned

Wait a minute. They didn't want to include the battle at the end of HBP because it would be redundant and boring. But they're going to start off the next movie with it? On what planet does that make any kind of sense?
#218 of 233 Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
Wait a minute. They didn't want to include the battle at the end of HBP because it would be redundant and boring. But they're going to start off the next movie with it? On what planet does that make any kind of sense?
Yeah it makes no sense. And why is the worst director doing most of the movies.

#219 of 233 Old 08-18-2009, 09:53 AM

I think the problem in general with the harry potter movies is they haven't chosen directors who were fans. As a consequence, they are not interested in staying true to the vision of the books, they want to put their own stamp on it, carve their own ideas into it.

In contrast, the lord of the rings trilogy was done wonderfully by Peter Jackson - I think hugely because he was a big fan of the work. If you like the original work, you will be true to the original work. If you are just given something you could take or leave, you are going to try to "improve" on it. No being a fan themselves, obviously they can't understand what it is fans like about it, and they end up screwing it up.

This is true about some of the actors as well I think. The guy who plays Dumbledore - sure you are good at showing us shifty eyes and that you are concerned about what is going on or whatever. But that's not what I like about Dumbledore, what I love about Dumbledore is he's never rattled. He is always as calm as if he expected everything to happen precisely the way it does and he's exceedingly polite in clever ways. You cut out everything *I* liked about the character!

ETA - I think I blame Rowling a bit for this, since I believe she required they all be British, which I could understand, but I think from a director standpoint that was a severe limitation.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#220 of 233 Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM

ok there is just too much to read here! lol
i wanted to say i was totally disappointed in the movie. i have been with all of them. i felt the whole discovery that snape was the hbp was so disappointing. and the scene with malfoy in the bathroom was just blaaah. you never really got the idea that ginny and harry were serious and i just never felt connected to dd. also whole opening part when harry hides in malfoy's car on the train and then gets in trouble by snape... was just a non issue. and then what's her name destroys the great hall and burns down hagrid's hut... for what? lame! what was the point of having them all come thru the darn closet? and when dd died... nothing. the whole holding up the wands... so 80's rock concert. didn't like it one bit! the saddest part was when hagrid carries dd to funeral (in the book) it just made me cry when i read that, nothing nothing in the movie.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#221 of 233 Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 AM

I love Jim Broadbent as SLughorn. That is exactly how i pictured him, especially the eyes. That's about all I can say.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#222 of 233 Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
Yeah it makes no sense. And why is the worst director doing most of the movies.
My guess is he's the cheapest. He was the least well known and therefore they could offer him less money.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#223 of 233 Old 08-27-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
the whole holding up the wands... so 80's rock concert. didn't like it one bit!
I agree, it was awful!
#224 of 233 Old 08-27-2009, 10:10 PM

I just went on saw it for the third time and I like it better each time. I think I expected too much the first time I saw it, because of expectations of the book. The more I see it, the more I notice and the more I love it! I can hardly wait for 7.
#225 of 233 Old 12-30-2009, 05:17 PM

Ok, I finally saw it. Yes finally.

I was dissappointed, but also realized there was SO much information in the book that there was no way the movie could have followed it all. I felt like the movie raced along as it was trying to cover all the bases, there was so much material. I wish we had a few more of the Voldemort memories, but what can you do.

I don't think they did the potion drinking that well at. all. I expected alot more agony out of Dumbeldore. I mean I felt bad for Albus, but not the gut-wrenching horrific way I felt in the book. Also, I don't feel like he really begged Snape to kill him. In the book he was supposed to be pleading, but in the movie, he seemed to just ask with a little urgency.

I really wanted to see the fiery Ginny/Harry kiss. That little smooch did nothing for the buildup.

I wanted to see Snape fired up and telling how he's no coward.

And I'm bummed out by Slughorn. He was not the smooth, rotund talker, but a nervous nellie.

I like how Fred and George's Store looked! I was worried they would have cut it out.

I couldn't help thinking about Rolf and Captain Von Trapp in the scene where Malfoy was struggling to kill Dumbledore. Seriously, I almost expected nuns and nazis to show up rather than Death Eaters.

OH, I would love for them to get John Williams back on the score. I'm glad that they're putting in Bill and Fleur, because Bill is my 3rd Favorite Weasley (after the twins).

signature currently in transition
#226 of 233 Old 12-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Just re-watched it last week. I was (and continue to be) relieved that the scene with Dumbledore and the potion was less excruciating in the movie than in the book. I was so dreading watching that scnene. I'm such a wuss about representations of pain in books or on screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post

I couldn't help thinking about Rolf and Captain Von Trapp in the scene where Malfoy was struggling to kill Dumbledore. Seriously, I almost expected nuns and nazis to show up rather than Death Eaters.
:roflmao

I can totally see your point.

Now, the next time I watch Sound of Music, I'll be imagining death-eaters rampaging through the final scenes instead of the nuns and Nazis. Just imagine Bellatrix vs Maria! In a big musical number, of course....
#227 of 233 Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 PM

I've read that the next Harry Potter film will actually be done in two parts. Has anyone else heard that? If so, maybe they'll include the background of Voldemort's family in the first half...I hope.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#228 of 233 Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, it's absolutely in two parts. The first will be out next November!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#229 of 233 Old 01-01-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Also, I don't feel like he really begged Snape to kill him. In the book he was supposed to be pleading, but in the movie, he seemed to just ask with a little urgency.

Long time since I read #6, but I don't remember him pleading with Snape to kill him at all. In my recollection, we don't discover that he actually asked Snape to kill him until the end of the last book.

And FWIW (not just to be contrary with you, I promise ) I thought that one moment in the movie when Dumbledore's face almost twitches and he says "Severus ..." was really intensely done, particularly knowing what we know about his intent in saying it (not to ask to spare him, but to ask to kill him).
#230 of 233 Old 01-01-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Also, I don't feel like he really begged Snape to kill him. In the book he was supposed to be pleading, but in the movie, he seemed to just ask with a little urgency.

Long time since I read #6, but I don't remember him pleading with Snape to kill him at all. In my recollection, we don't discover that he actually asked Snape to kill him until the end of the last book.

And FWIW (not just to be contrary with you, I promise ) I thought that one moment in the movie when Dumbledore's face almost twitches and he says "Severus ..." was really intensely done, particularly knowing what we know about his intent in saying it (not to ask to spare him, but to ask to kill him).

Gotta go into the kids' room and dig out the book from under the mess ...
#231 of 233 Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
I love Alan Rickman as Snape. So dark and brooding. I wish I was Lily. And his voice is something else. He could read me the phone book with that voice of his and I would be in heaven.
I agree. I love him. love him.
#232 of 233 Old 01-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I love Jim Broadbent as SLughorn. That is exactly how i pictured him, especially the eyes. That's about all I can say.
I agree.

Worlds Best Mom
#233 of 233 Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post

Gotta go into the kids' room and dig out the book from under the mess ...
You're right, he doesn't beg Snape to kill him in the book. He just pleads with Severus - in a way that could mean "save me" or "do something." I don't feel he was really pleading the same way it was in the book.

I have to rewatch the movie... Maybe tomorrow night.

signature currently in transition

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page