Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Movie-- Here there be SPOILERS! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone else going to the midnight showing of Half-Blood Prince?!?!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going!
#3 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 PM

I'm not going until 4:15 tomorrow! I am JEALOUS of you midnight madness people!

Have fun!!! :

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#4 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe before I leave for the theater I'll change the title to let people know there might be spoilers within.

I'm going on a date with my ten-year-old.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
All our showings are sold out.
#6 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
All our showings are sold out.
We bought our tickets Sunday. If you can get to PA by 11, I'll just tell Michael I couldn't wake him up in time.

#7 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 07:53 PM

Can't do midnight showing anymore. Am too old. I'll be falling asleep at my desk at work the next day.
We're going on Friday. DH and I are going to leave work early to see it.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#8 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 PM

We're not going 'til this weekend. I'm jealous of all you midnight goers! I feel like I've already seen the movie in bits and pieces with all the clips that have been released. Our movie theater is not showing any other movies this week but HP... every 30 minutes a new one starts.
#9 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

There were an awful lot of clips released, weren't there? Still, I'm really looking forward to seeing the whole thing. It's a nice long one too.

#10 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
We bought our tickets Sunday. If you can get to PA by 11, I'll just tell Michael I couldn't wake him up in time.
Ha ha!

I just called my friend who I know is going, and she's finishing up her costume.
#11 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 PM

I know!!! Except I have to wait until tomorrow! Can't wait, so excited!!!!
#12 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 PM

Only, what, two more hours? Are you lining up at the theatre yet?
#13 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

We'll leave at 10:45. I tried to sleep but was too excited. How pathetic is that (don't answer).

I have decided once this baby starts moving, I will refer to it as the Snitch.

Then later, it can be a Bludger.

#14 of 233 Old 07-14-2009, 11:40 PM

Not going but very jealous of the midnight crowds!
Enjoy
#15 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 12:24 AM

We are going Dh and I for the midnight showing, and depending on how it looks like we are taking the twins.
But it premiere is the 16 here

Have fun!!!

Lorna, mommy to Leonor & Leonardo (31/10/01) and Riccardo (14/11/07), wife to Ignacio (98')
#16 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone back yet? I really liked it, although there were several WTF? moments.

#17 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Anyone back yet? I really liked it, although there were several WTF? moments.
just several? Try dozens. My main issue:

Spoilers:

WTF? Where was the Battle of Hogwarts? And it was supposed to be just Snape, Draco, Harry, and Dumbledore in the room when Snape finished Dumbledore off. And Snape was supposed to "escape" with Draco. And, WHERE WAS THE BATTLE OF HOGWARTS??? You know, the climax of the freakin' story??? Gah!

/spoilers

I think it was a great movie. The cinematography was fan-freaking-tastic. The acting was top-notch, and I thought Lavendar Brown was played wonderfully hilariously. Alan Rickman was awesome. I think, if I hadn't read the book, and especially if I hadn't reread it before the movie, I would have enjoyed it more. I will reset my expectations before I see it in IMAX 3D (we already have our tickets!)

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#18 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

I put spoiler in the title so we don't need to do spoiler tags,

Yates said they didn't do the Battle of Hogwarts because there's a huge Battle at Hogwarts in the last book and they didn't to be redundant. Which is still WTFifying, but at least they thought it through.

My big thing was no funeral. Just that little Wizarding Grateful Dead concert-type thing at the end.

One thing they changed that I liked was Harry/Ginny taking place more in private.

The other thing that confused me was the Burrow burning down. You could have taken that part out, and it really would not have changed the story at all. So why did they put it in?

I agree about the cinematography. And Jessie Cave was an amazing Lavender Brown, nothing like I expected, but perfect. I was reminded again why people have Snape fantasies. I had forgotten in the last few movies. And they made excellent use of the castle setting.

I'd love to hear your thoughts when you see it at the IMAX!

#19 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 AM

But it just strayed so far from the book, it's practically fanfic!

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#20 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I love fan fic.

OK, and I have a question. When they were talking about the Potions textbook and Ron accused Harry of taking it to bed with him, did he (Ron) say something like "It's like sleeping with Hermione"? Or did I imagine that?

Also "All hands on deck, Granger" = funniest movie line ever.

#21 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Which is still WTFifying, but at least they thought it through.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#22 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 PM

Good movie - but I will have to see it again without having read the book so close...there was alot of change (which I do understand)

1. The Burrow buring - totally didn't make sense. Looked good...but I was totally WTF.

2. No mention of Bill and Flure(sp?) when the wedding is a big point in the next book?

3. Lupin and Tonks are a happy, together couple? What about the sad Tonks?

4. No Marvolo memories? Or mention of him at all?

5. WhereTH was the Hogwarts battle!!??!!

I also thought the end was not in line with Harry's character. In the book the reason he dosen't intervene is because he is frozen under the invisiblity cloak. I really don't think he would have just stood there and watched otherwise...he isn't that good at following orders now is he. I also didn't like the other Death Eaters being there...that wasn't in line with the feeling of the end of the book.

And hiding the book, he hid it there and then remembers the key Horcrux for the end of the next book *because* it was where he had hidden the book??

I also didn't like the more private Harry and Ginny....

BUT like I said, I can apprecaite the movie as a movie and the book as a book. I will watch it again and try not to think about the book LOL!

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#23 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Not going til Friday and can't wait! I think I may be ruined though after watching Harry Potter The Musical.
#24 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 PM

the burrow burning was to make the point that they could get to harry very easily (as Hermione explained just after the cut scene back to school)

My problem? The fact that some people brought children younger than my youngest to a midnight movie (my youngest is 4)

One mother I passed on the way out was holding the hand of her bawling little girl that I could only guess was around 3 years old and telling her not to be a baby!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#25 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceoc View Post
Good movie - but I will have to see it again without having read the book so close...there was alot of change (which I do understand)

1. The Burrow buring - totally didn't make sense. Looked good...but I was totally WTF.

2. No mention of Bill and Flure(sp?) when the wedding is a big point in the next book?

3. Lupin and Tonks are a happy, together couple? What about the sad Tonks?

4. No Marvolo memories? Or mention of him at all?

5. WhereTH was the Hogwarts battle!!??!!

I also thought the end was not in line with Harry's character. In the book the reason he dosen't intervene is because he is frozen under the invisiblity cloak. I really don't think he would have just stood there and watched otherwise...he isn't that good at following orders now is he. I also didn't like the other Death Eaters being there...that wasn't in line with the feeling of the end of the book.

And hiding the book, he hid it there and then remembers the key Horcrux for the end of the next book *because* it was where he had hidden the book??

I also didn't like the more private Harry and Ginny....

BUT like I said, I can apprecaite the movie as a movie and the book as a book. I will watch it again and try not to think about the book LOL!

Ah! I went at midnight, it was madness. Fun though! I agree with the non-frozen harry. It was way more dramatic in the book that he was only able to move after Dumbledore died. And the no Bill/Fleur thing was annoying, especially since Greyback was not explained at all either.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#26 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I still don't think The Burrow made sense. There were lots of ways to show Death Eaters could get Harry (you know, like them showing up at Hogwarts and bumping off Dumbledore).

Non-frozen Harry annoyed me too. I forgot that oart!

And I agree about no explanation of Remus/Tonks, Bill/Fleur, Greyback. I was thinking that if you didn't read the book, a lot of things wouldn't make sense, and if you did, a lot of things would piss you off.

#27 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 04:56 PM

I saw it at midnight! It was absolute madness-playing on all 21 screens in the theatre. They also had a 3:30am showing and the place was packed for that too!

I loved the movie but was more disappointed, mainly for the same reasons as other posters have mentioned. They did not do a good job of explaining the Horcruxes at all and they left out the Battle!

The acting was a bit off in this one. I was bored.

I hope they do a much better job on the next 2 movies. The last book is so rich in detail, I will be so sad/mad if they mess it up.

Overall, I think I have to say: Movie FAIL.
#28 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 PM

I cannot express my level of frustration that the relationships between Fleur/Bill and Tonks/Lupin were left out. I agree with the PP who said the wedding is so huge in the 7th book, and it is! Unless they completely move that entire story line to the 7th movie, I can't see how they are going to make it work. (And as an aside, I was annoyed that Tonks only had a bit part. SHE was supposed to discover Harry on the HW Express. But I guess that all goes back to me missing out on her relationship w/Lupin.)

I was also disappointed that there was no skirmish at Hogwarts at the end. Greyback wasn't elaborated on at all. I always thought the scene between Fleur and Mrs. Weasley in the hospital ward after the attack on Bill was so moving, I was sad they didn't include it.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#29 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM

Well, I really enjoyed it, BUT I haven't read the book in a very long time! So, even though I knew "stuff" was missing and messed up, since I couldn't remember exactly WHAT had been tampered with, I enjoyed the whole movie experience more than when I go in and have re-read the book to get ready.

Instead, this time I rewatched the movies.

Less stress for me.

I'll re-read the book now.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#30 of 233 Old 07-15-2009, 11:32 PM

My friend and I are theorizing that the Burrow blaze, plus no buildup of the Fleur/Bill thing= no wedding scene in next film. Which, yes, sounds like blasphemy but with the changes we saw today...who knows?

Amazing cinematography though. And i thought Snape was done in the perfect way, with all his subtle "stuff" in there.

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page