Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2009, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiZ View Post
Awww, not sad at all!

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
I totally thought there was no way Ian would see him again too theres lots more Rollo in this book than in the past ones and I LOVE it!

Are there enough people who have finished this book that we can start a discussion thread where we don't have to spoilerize everything? LOL Although it does feel naughty and fun to highlight those and read them
Nothing really important to say here, but I needed to try out the spoiler code. So, what do you all think is going to happen? Are Brianna and family all going to end up back in time during the next book? I'm really curious about what will happen with William too.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnylady303 View Post
I just finished it. How how how am I going to wait for the next book to come out? I can't believe the way she left this book hanging. This is worse than any of the others. Argh!! Someone share my frustration!!!!
I am just as frustrated as you. All the cliffhangers!!!! Argh!!!!! A friend of mine the next town over is finishing tonight. I am waiting to hear her scream of frustration.

Only one more book right? I mean really - can the author do anything else to her characters?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 PM

I finished it. I -did- care a little more about William and Lord John by the end of the book -- she sure makes a web of connections, doesn't she? -- but I stand by my first post: for the first few hundred pages, I was still meh about them.

I am kind of bummed about the cliffhanger - she usually has pretty tight endings! - and I think I would like to see just one more book and then done. I love Jamie and Claire, and I think it would spoil it for me if the series went off into a Brianna/Roger/Jem, etc., direction without J&C. One more would be good, though.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 10-29-2009, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tedious.

I found that I was forcing myself to continue reading this volume (never pleasant for a rabid reader!). All her other books (in "The Outlander" series) were a joy to read, they flowed. But, "EITB" was far too static (too many directions, dull new players and thin storylines). It's as though she was trying to please every reader's interests.

I didn't think some of the players acted as they have previously shown themselves to be. They seemed weak and out-of-character. I really couldn't see some of the main players doing what they did, in light of knowledge they possessed (and, the sharing of certain knowledge with others was really beyond belief).

And, at the end, when two characters got together because of circumstances and a couple of months passed. What about the other two, rather important, characters that disappeared for too many pages, only to, suddenly, reappear without any mention of what they had been living during the same time period (and, the reactions to such starnge and new adventures for one of them, in particular)?? It's as though DG was being pressed to hurry and finish the book.

((how's that for not giving out any spoilers?!))

No doubt I will read the last in the series (whenever it is published in the future). But, I can say that I am not particularly looking forward to it, fearing it may be the same as "EITB". ((Bleh, as Snoopy would say.))

I won't bother with any additional "Lord John Grey" books. His character just isn't that interesting to me.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiZ View Post
Are there enough people who have finished this book that we can start a discussion thread where we don't have to spoilerize everything? LOL Although it does feel naughty and fun to highlight those and read them
I'd love a discussion thread!

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
Old 11-02-2009, 02:04 AM

I just finished tonight--OMG!

As Jamie and Claire ended up leaving Scotland separately, I was thinking, "Okay, what can possibly happen on this voyage that she hasn't already written? We've covered pirates pretty exhaustively, not to mention the press gangs..." I totally did not see the marriage thing coming at. all. So do you think Jamie is going to be angry about Lord John's confession, or do you think he's going to take it in stride? I'll say this, Claire can't exactly get after him about Laoghire anymore! I also would like to see Jenny Murray get her comeuppance in the next book--she's been ghastly to Claire.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
It's as though DG was being pressed to hurry and finish the book.
I feel this same way. It seems the book goes on with several tedious explinations of things that I don't think made an ounce of difference in any of the plots and yet, towards the end of the book the plot goes into overdrive and several things just get skimmed.
I can understand that a couple are made to be clifhangers, but, truly, the book is so loooooong because of all the unnecessary (IMO) detail of description.

I did like it as a whole, but I am very upset with how....

Claire, Jamie, Lord John and the whole marriage thing.
I KNOW she was under duress as a spy, but, c'mom, after the way Jamie has been known for his survival through some pretty hazy miracles she thinks that one sinking ship in the middle of ocean nowheresville is going to kill him?!?!?! I would have believed a fight with the cracken from PotC more than a simple sinking ship.

And the way Jaime is just like, "Oh, ok. Cool. Whatever, man. Glad you could make use of her". Pfffffft.
I hope the next book makes a bigger deal of this.

I did think it was intersting how many spin off stories were left...
Like the way Jem and Mandy can sense each other!!
Do you think he'll "cross over" and will still be able to "talk" to Mandy....maybe they'll be the communications lines betwee the times?!?!
That would be cool!!!

I'm not so excited about the Ian/Rachel thing. They're just meh to me.

I 3> Rollo.....um.....Team Rollo. ROFLMAO.

Anyone else done!?!

Center
Old 11-13-2009, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am 300 pages in and I can not get interested in this book. I'm so BORED. It's so BORING. Nothing is HAPPENING. Oh my GOD there was like a nine hundred page letter from William blah blah blah my elbow itches blah blah nuns SHUT UP. No one CARES.

This book is making me so cranky. I'll still be reading it when the next one comes out.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:54 AM

It gets better. At the very end. Then everything happens all at once.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
Old 11-13-2009, 08:08 PM

"Team Rollo" *snort*

How do you pronounce that, anyway? Is it just like it's spelled, or is it like a guy I used to know who pronounced it "RAL-lee"?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:48 PM

I've always just pronounced it like the candy; Row-low.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:22 PM

I just finished it! I really, really liked it - found it much more engaging than the last two books, but can't believe the multiple cliffhangers. I don't recall the other books (with the exception of Voyager, I think) having big cliffhangers and I certainly don't think any of them had multiple ones! Having just finished, I'm feeling the need to process the intense last part of the book...I'd also like to reread some (or all of it) but alas, it was a library loan, and due, so my copy has already gone back. Drat!

So - yes! please! Let's start a discussion thread! I'll try to pop back later to do this if it hasn't been started already.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 PM

I've finally finished, and most of my thoughts are similar to what has already been posted. I think DG was just far too ambitious with this book. So many storylines, so many characters. The first 400? 600? pages were tedious with the amount of detail. And then once the story actually starts picking up, there's SO little detail in the end. And the cliffhangers... it's just so unlike the rest of the series.

The first section of the book struck me as quite similar to the LJG series. I've never found him that compelling of a character, and even after reading all of the books, John's love for Jamie never felt very authentic to me. After this book he seems like a more interesting character, but I'm still not all that excited about him.

It was obvious to me that DG did a TON of research about the battles of Saratoga, but I think she tried to cram too much historical detail into the book. The story really lagged at the beginning and like others I had to force myself to slog through it. And then once it got towards the end of the book, the lack of detail was striking in comparison to the start of the book. When the focus went away from military life, I expected the writing to continue to tell the details of the story. But there are months that are unaccounted for, as a PPer said. The thrust of the story goes away from the long-standing, established characters, and those were the people I most wanted to hear about. Given the truly life-changing nature of the events that happen to the main characters (marriage, leaving a family home), we hear very little about the motivation of the characters or about how they feel about their new circumstances.

As for what's happening in 1980... wow. Bree and Roger really grated on my nerves in earlier books, but they grew on me after rereading the whole series, and I feel generally pretty positive about them. I was enjoying their story until the very end. I wasn't surprised about the appearance of Roger's relative, I figured something like that would happen. But the big event that happened to Jem at the end of the story seemed like it just came out of nowhere. I was also incredibly annoyed that Bree would send Roger off without reading the rest of the letters. I would imagine that there could be some very important information there, and it seems very unlike logical Brianna to not prepare for the journey.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I skimmed a LOT of this book and I don't think I missed a thing. Well, I miss Claire and Jamie. They're like bad SNL versions of themselves. They're just so thin in this book. I agree that she tried to cram way too much and too many people in. All the individual story lines were thin, the characters were thin, nothing was very believable and there was so much unnecessary stuff. It was such a big fat honkin' book and I was still left thinking...is that all?

Spoilers if you haven't read:

The whole thing with LJG and Claire...just so not believable. I get that getting married seems the obvious choice, but I just can't imagine either of them would think it a good idea to actually sleep together. You'd think she would've just marched her butt back to the first available rock and gone home to her child.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:32 AM

Just finished. I found it really confusing in the beginning, so many characters introduced from previous books that I'd forgotten all about (Tom Christie etc.) and it was frustrating because I didn't remember who they were and these little incidents with them were not necessary to the plot at all.

All that with William and Lord John for the first part of the book - meh. I've always been fond of Lord John, but that storyline was just kind of boring. More Claire and Jamie!

I give her great kudos for getting Quaker plain language dead right. As a former Friend I always cringed when Quakers in books would say "Will thou marry me?" or some such. And it was nice to see some Quakers on the scene.

The book really picked up for me in the second half. But yeah, the marriage to Lord John? Not so much. I agree with pp that if she'd really thought Jamie dead she would have gone back to the future.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:37 PM

I'm a latecomer to the series (I am on the last few pages of Dragonfly in Amber I'm reading them AND listening to the Davina Porter unabridged recordings (LOVE hearing the different accents!) so that is slowing me down a lot.

Anyway, I was wondering if we ever learn what Frank did during his time while Claire was "missing" I learned a bit of his reaction to her being pregnant and the whole "time travel story" in DIA but I wondered if we ever hear it from his perspective.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake&zaxmom View Post
I'm a latecomer to the series (I am on the last few pages of Dragonfly in Amber I'm reading them AND listening to the Davina Porter unabridged recordings (LOVE hearing the different accents!) so that is slowing me down a lot.

Anyway, I was wondering if we ever learn what Frank did during his time while Claire was "missing" I learned a bit of his reaction to her being pregnant and the whole "time travel story" in DIA but I wondered if we ever hear it from his perspective.
This is a good ?, its been awhile since I've read Books 2 and 3, but I'll share what I remember/my interpretation and am curious what others will share. Claire/Frank have a pretty rocky relationship when she returned and she learned his secrets (adultery) and wondered if he would ever believe any of what happened to her? I think he did because he seemed to leave clues for Claire/Bree to follow to lead them to Roger and ultimately Jaime. IIRC, Bree thought it odd that Frank wanted her to learn markmanship; I felt they were hinting that he knew she'd want to go to the past to meet Jaime and would need survival skills, so he tried to guide her that way.

Personally I think we will "hear" from him again, either as a ghost, travel into the future/past (will make my head spin LOL), or perhaps a letter explaining what he knew?

Others feel free to correct me if I left something out/got something wrong, thats how I remember it anyway LOL

Curious what others have to say!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:46 PM

I thought the first two thirds of the book were rambling and totally disjointed. Was there back story to Lady Dorothea and the Quaker doctor in another book--because that seemed like the most unlikely coincidence ever. The last third really hung together and cracked along but I agree that there was WAAAAAY too much LJG.

I like William and Ian though.

I don't like Brianna, this book was just enough of her.

Too much of everyone else, not enough Claire and Jamie and JEEESH! All that work to get to Scotland and then it felt like they just picked up and came right back.

I do like the picture of the Revolutionary War though, and I still feel like Diana Gabaldon is just such a vivid writer, she can really make you feel like you are right in the middle of everything.

Someone mentioned the Sara Donati books--Claire and Jamie are actually in or mentioned in the first one. She is friends with DG and that was part of her "buzz" when the first book launched. It's a very brief scene or shoutout--it's been a while since I read it--but I know it's there!

I just went to search and see if I could find anything on that, for those who would be interested. Here's an interview with Sara Donati where she explains the connectiion:

http://januarymagazine.com/profiles/donati.html
Old 01-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Oh my goodness, I've been reading this book for months and hadn't seen this thread yet! I am almost finished, so I'm not sure if I should read this or not! I don't want to be spoiled!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Oh my goodness, I've been reading this book for months and hadn't seen this thread yet! I am almost finished, so I'm not sure if I should read this or not! I don't want to be spoiled!
Don't read the thread. There's a LOT that happens in the end of the book, most of it quite unrelated to the beginning of the book. The story moves much faster at the end. Keep reading, then come back and tell us what you think.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Now I am anxious to hurry up and finish!! I did get to the part near the end about LJG and Claire, and was totally flabbergasted!

The character of mandy is super annoying! She repeats back everything she hears in baby talk. really grating.

The part with Claire, Jamie and Ian on the boat near the beginning/middle of the book was reeeeallllly slow!

wow, I need to go re-read the first chapter and see what you all are referring to!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

So, I'm bumping this old thread to say that I just finished EitB. Now I want the next one dammit! In my quest to find it (I know it's not published yet) I dug up the old Outlander threads here and also checked out her site  where I found out that the next one will be called "Written in My Own Heart's Blood" and that Diana links to a page with excerpts!! here. Just thought I'd throw that tidbit out for you sharks if you hadn't found it already.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

User Tag List