Movies that are better than the book - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 105 Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lolita. the guy is a total pervert and pedophile in the book, in the movie he is a guy in love (although still weird)
#62 of 105 Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM

I thought of another one - The Bridges of Madison County.

I really disliked the book. I thought the woman was selfish, immature and living in some stupid fantasy world. I wanted to reach through the pages, shake her and tell her to grow up. I actually liked the movie a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNova View Post
lolita. the guy is a total pervert and pedophile in the book, in the movie he is a guy in love (although still weird)
Ick, I hated that book and wished I never would have read it.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#63 of 105 Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 PM

For me Harry Potter, because I just couldn't get through the books. Don't like her writing style. Same with The Jane Austen Book Club, love the movie but just can't stand her writing style enough to get through the book.
#64 of 105 Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
The Lord of the Rings trilogy? It ended up being his favorite book of all times. He really doesn't like the movies. He thinks it's nice they were willing to put a lot of money into it, but he feels they changed things just for the sake of changing things--that there were grotesque changes to the plot for NO REASON.
That is how I feel about Twilight series. They made completely unnecessary changes to the story and characters for no real reason other than the ego of the director. They aren't my favorite books of all time, but I am a big fan and reread the series 3 times in the last year. The movies are almost like spin offs or "based on" stories to me. I enjoy them somewhat, but I think of them as separate entities of the books and I've only seen 1 in the theater and it wasn't release day.

On the other hand I read LOTR in High School 25 years ago and reread it a few times in my early 20s but so much time had passed when the new movies came out that the changes didn't bother me much. Plus I enjoy the fact that I can FF past Frodo and Sam with Gollum because I find that utterly boring.
#65 of 105 Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci mom23boys View Post
The only movie that I have ever loved more than the book was *Chocolat*.
The book just wasn't that good and the movie is one of my favorites.
I though the book and the movie were both good, just different. In the book, the bad guy is the priest and Vivienne is a real witch who scrys in the chocolate bowl.
#66 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Absolutely Lord of the Rings. I tried to read it a couple of times and just couldn't do it. Once I made it 3/4 of the way through the first book and nothing. had. happened! The movies I liked, especially the last.

Mrs. Doubtfire. It was so much more believable that they wouldn't recognize him with the mask and all that. In the book, he basically just threw on some weird dress and a turban and suddenly they didn't recognize his face and the fact that he constantly smoked cheroots in both personas. It was just not well written at all, but Robin Williams was hilarious and it's one of my favorite movies.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#67 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 AM

From two completely different genres:

Brokeback Mountain

Olive, the Other Reindeer (I know, not a movie, but an animated tv special)

#68 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 01:15 AM

The Witches of Eastwick

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#69 of 105 Old 10-07-2010, 08:15 AM

Little Women. I.LOVE.THAT.MOVIE. One of my alltime favs.

I havent read it, but I also love Sense and Sensability. I imagine the read might be a bit boring, but Ive never tried.

Was there first a book for Steel Magnolias? Because if there was, i bet it paled in comparison to the movie. Only because there is nothing better then Julia Roberts, Sally Feild, Olympia Ducacus, and Shirley McClain all in the same movie. Darryl Hannah and Dolly Parton were just along for the ride.

ETA, I actually never read interview with a vampire. I saw the movie first, and fell inlove. I didnt bother to read the first one, and skipped right over to The Vampire Lestat. The whole series was not bad. I especially liked The Queen of the Damned. The movie adaptation was AWFUL! Tom Cruise made a WAY better Lestat then Stuart Townsend.
#70 of 105 Old 10-11-2010, 04:13 PM

Lord of The Rings I would consider better than the book.

Worlds Best Mom
#71 of 105 Old 10-11-2010, 04:35 PM

Last of the Mohicans. Movie was meh..ok but I don't remember it well. Book was

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#72 of 105 Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Was there first a book for Steel Magnolias? Because if there was, i bet it paled in comparison to the movie. Only because there is nothing better then Julia Roberts, Sally Feild, Olympia Ducacus, and Shirley McClain all in the same movie. Darryl Hannah and Dolly Parton were just along for the ride.
I believe it started life as a four-woman play. The whole thing takes place in the beauty salon in the garage. I'd quite like to see it.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#73 of 105 Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci mom23boys View Post
The only movie that I have ever loved more than the book was *Chocolat*.
The book just wasn't that good and the movie is one of my favorites.
Huh. I was so disappointed in the movie. I thought it lost all the the interesting things that the author had to say about religion, persecution and intolerance when they made the villain a politician rather than a priest. It seemed to miss the point of the book entirely. It shows how everyone can have different opinions .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly View Post
Practical Magic. The book was good, but the movie was...charming.
This is the one I came to post about. My sister says the book is much better, but somehow I can't seem to get into it. Yet I always watch the movie if it's on t.v. It isn't brilliant, but it's an enjoyable story. I'd love to own that botanicals shop!
#74 of 105 Old 10-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
Last of the Mohicans. Movie was meh..ok but I don't remember it well. Book was
OMG How can you not remember Uncas (Eric Schweig)? That man is my heart's desire. haha

signature currently in transition
#75 of 105 Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
OMG How can you not remember Uncas (Eric Schweig)? That man is my heart's desire. haha
Hot Damn! You're right! He does look familiar though. Hm, may need to rewatch Last of The Mohicans...

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#76 of 105 Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Holes

And I concur with Fried Green Tomatoes and The Princess Bride. Couldn't stand either of those books.

My husband would say Harry Potter. Rowling is a better story teller than she is a writer.

#77 of 105 Old 10-12-2010, 01:25 PM

One I haven't seen mentioned:
Children of Men.
I absolutely adore PD James as a detective writer and I love dystopian novels, so I thought this was a sure thing. There was so much that was right about the book, but the movie was more compelling and had a better sense of the dystopia. In comparison to the rest of her novels, this was by far my least favorite. The movie, however, is one of my top 5 favorite movies.

raising my two sunshine children.

#78 of 105 Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

Fight Club.

Still the only one for me. Most of the ones mentioned so far I haven't read the books (or I haven't even seen the movie either).

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#79 of 105 Old 10-12-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly View Post
Practical Magic. The book was good, but the movie was...charming.

I opened this thread to post this. Alice Hoffman is a lovely writer, but she was trying to do something different (and less charming) in her book. The film really managed to transcend the book there.

I agree with those who prefer Harry Potter in film, but only the films the first two novels. After that, I prefer the books.
#80 of 105 Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 AM

Chocolat. I felt like movie actually developed the characters better, had more to say, and was more endearing. I also have to agree with "The Princess Bride".

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#81 of 105 Old 10-14-2010, 01:34 PM

I agree about Fried Green Tomatoes. But not in the same way. I think the movie is better than the book, but the movie is my VERY favorite movie. The book is in my top 25 maybe.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#82 of 105 Old 10-15-2010, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
My favorite part of the movie.

I enjoyed the movie version of About Schmidt way more than the book version. I may be the only one who like the movie, however.
#83 of 105 Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 PM

I'll third Last Of The Mohicans...Daniel Day Lewis running through the forest with his rifle?

"No matter what occurs, I will find you!" --my old boyfriend used to quote that all the time. At the mall, in the parking garage, at the supermarket...it always cracked me up.

I also love it when the sister throws herself off the cliff in slow motion. I cry and cry, in a good way.
#84 of 105 Old 10-15-2010, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm going to agree with Last of the Mohicans. Beautiful film and the book, OMG, so dry dry dry. I had to read that thing in high school way back in the dark ages and could barely suffer through it. I'm sure I would probaby have more stamina for it now (no longer 17), but it was not a gripping read for me for sure. Even if the movie completely sucked (which it doesn't) looking at the beautiful Blue Ridge mountain scenery (and the actors) would make the movie better than the book IMO.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#85 of 105 Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 PM

Remembered another one. The Scarlet Letter. I've seen a couple versions of the story and love it, but when I try to read the book I about die. I guess because of the language. 17th-century English is tough.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#86 of 105 Old 10-15-2010, 11:34 PM

I haven't had time to read this whole thread yet, but I thought the movie "Stand By Me" was better than the book (a novella called The Body).

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#87 of 105 Old 10-16-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
My problem was how he treated the characters. Many of their shining moments he failed them.

Arwyn never faltered from her choice of mortality. That was where she was brave, not taking Glorfindel's roll or keeling over with that "Arwyn's fate is tied to the ring" blah.

Tolkien said her tale was the saddest and she CHOSE it. It wasn't that he tried to make her part bigger or her braver but he completely missed the point. She was already brave.
I could maybe see giving Arwyn a little more onscreen time, but the character in the movie sucked. I wanted to beat someone every time she came on screen. And, I have no idea why he put in that whole made up scene where she rescued Frodo, because her whole character otherwise came across as a particularly fatuous 14 year old fan of bad romances.

Quote:
Faramir was educated by Gandalf and in the books Frodo offers him the ring. Faramir said he wouldn't pick up the ring if he found it laying by the road.
I thought Jackson handled Boromir really well - managed to show the real underlying nobility of the character in his final confrontation with Frodo and his death. That made the way he savaged Faramir's character just annoying. That whole scene in Osgiliath when Frodo was standing there facing the Nazgul (who can sense the Ring, but didn't realize it was right there, and let Frodo go??) and all that was just sooooo annoying, in every way. TTT was a fiasco on the Frodo/Sam storyline, although the director's cut does a better job with Faramir, imo.

Quote:
That was the tragedy of Denethor, he sent the wrong son. Faramir is the one who should have gone and that is why Boromir died.His failure to see Faramir cost him Boromir. *Faramir had the dream several times before Boromir did*
All of which was left out, of course.

Quote:
If you go to http://www.theonering.com/ they have changes described in detail.Some are a bit hilarious
OMG - those are great. I can see where I'm going to be wasting time online once I'm done going through all the back articles on Cracked.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Ah, TORn. My very first forum. Back when Mum was convinced everyone on the internet was an axe-murderer.
Totally OT, but I was just thinking of this the other day. The changes in the way people view the net over the last 5-10 years blow my mind.

Quote:
I agree about the book-to-film changes, BTW. Aragorn's near-death scene with the Wargs seemed particularly fatuous. It's not like Tolkien didn 't give us enough near-death scenes in the book!
That entire sequence, from the moment he went off the cliff until he arrived back in Helm's Deep, made me want to tear someone's head off. And, that little romantic interlude with Arwen? UGH!

Quote:
And the Arwen thing particularly galled me because I didn't like Liv Tyler's acting.
See...I didn't mind her acting, exactly. I think she played the character exactly the way Jackson wanted it. And, it was awful. She just...made her miraculous rescue of Frodo, then languished for two whole movies!

Quote:
I did love the flash-forward scene in TTT, though, that took material from the appendices - you know, the "He will come to death, an image of the splendor of the kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world... But you, my daughter..." bit. Hugo Weaving acted his socks off there, and the cinematography was just lovely.
Quote:
I do like the movies. Well, I love Fellowship, have SERIOUS issues with TTT, and really like some parts of ROTK.
I'm about the same, except that I like almost all of ROTK...except that the "Oliphaunts" are stupid...absolutely stupid. I hate that kind of Hollywood-style overkill. If they'd actually been that big, there wouldn't have been anybody left on the Plain by the time Theoden arrived. Regular elephants, or even slightly oversized elephants would have been great. Those things were just asinine.

Quote:
I was pleased with how they conveyed Frodo's gradual decline after returning to the Shire - the "How do you pick up the threads of an old life?" speech was really classy, I thought. And I was SO freaking thrilled they put in the lines from the end of the book about the Grey Havens - "white shores, and beyond - a far green country under a swift sunrise". I know they relocated the line (no way around it, really), but golly, it WORKED. That moment, and the moment right at the start of Fellowship where Galadriel takes Treebeard's line - "The world has changed...", sent shivers down my spine. Brilliant stuff.
Agreed. I like the sequences in the Shire quite well, in general.

Quote:
Better than the books, though? Nah. In my opinion the goodness of the movies VERY closely correlates to their faithfulness to the books - with the odd exception, like the nuclear Galadriel freakout scene, which was technically faithful but executed very... strangely... visually. And I don't think I'm just saying that as a rabid Tolkien fan - the bits where the plot diverged seemed less artistically true in the films in their own right. I think. Hard to separate myself from the source material, though.
Yeah - that scene with Galadriel was way too weird for me. It was just so odd.

I do enjoy the movies. I tend to watch segments of them while doing step workouts and things like that. I just really don't like 99% of the stuff that was added, or changed.

And, on thinking about it a bit more, I'm going to say I do think The Princess Bride was a somewhat better movie. The book had the same feel, but I think it worked better as a movie.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#88 of 105 Old 10-16-2010, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
And, on thinking about it a bit more, I'm going to say I do think The Princess Bride was a somewhat better movie. The book had the same feel, but I think it worked better as a movie.
I don't feel too guilty saying I like the movie better than the book, because William Goldman wrote the screenplay. So any changes were HIS changes, not something done by a money-grubbing studio at the expense of the avant-garde starving artist. And it was a really good adaptation because he knew the medium of film; he wasn't just trying to cut and paste his immortal prose onto the silver screen. He left room for the actors to shine, for witty physical comedy... it was very un-ego-y, and it worked as an adaptation in a way that's extremely rare. Plus, Mandy Patinkin.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#89 of 105 Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 AM

I agree with those who have said "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Forrest Gump." I thought the movies were way better than the books. "Fried Green Tomatoes" was a dry book and the characters paled in comparison to how they were portrayed on screen. "Forrest Gump" was just a really weird book - and too long.

I highly disagree with those who have said the following movies are better than the books.

1. "A Clockwork Orange" I have seen the movie multiple times and only read the book about two years ago. I love, love, loved the book. It was so fun to figure out the language as you go along (author uses a made up language and you just have to learn as you go along what the words mean). Also, the movie has a lot of gaps and holes and leaves a lot of questions un-answered. In the book, everything is filled in and we learn a lot more about Alex's character. Lastly, the last chapter of the book, the redemptive chapter, is completely left out of the movie. I won't give it away for those who haven't read it, but the book ending is so much better.

2. "Lolita" Nabakov is a genius and his way with words is just breathtaking. I only read the book because I wanted to read, "Reading Lolita in Tehran" and DH said I should really read "Lolita" first if I wanted to understand it. I'm so glad I did. The book isn't anything like the movie. The characters and plot are crafted so meticulously. You just can't help but be moved when reading the book.

3. "The Godfather" Now, maybe it's because I read the book first but later, when I tried to watch the movie, I couldn't get through the first 10 minutes. The movie was so dated and boring. If they re-made the movie, I might give it another go.

4. "The Scarlett Letter" Again, I think the author is a genius. Nathaniel Hawthorne is a master at his craft and the intricacies that are weaved throughout the book are totally lost and cheapened on screen. I don't even think the movie is worth watching but would recommend the book to everyone with a serious interest in literature.
#90 of 105 Old 10-16-2010, 12:20 PM

Can I commit a heresy and say that I liked the movie of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince much, much better than the book? I felt like they did a better job with making Harry into the noble, likable hero in the movie. Not to slight anyone, who really loves the books, just my opinion. =)

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page