Movies that are better than the book - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 10-16-2010, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Remembered another one. The Scarlet Letter. I've seen a couple versions of the story and love it, but when I try to read the book I about die. I guess because of the language. 17th-century English is tough.
The Demi Moore Scarlet letter movie is very much changed from the book. They made Hester into more of an Anne Bradstreet. If you want to see a better film version.. track down the Meg Foster version.

I loved the book. Poor Hester, punished for loving.
#92 of 105 Old 10-23-2010, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first thought when I saw the topic was The English Patient. I could not make it through the book but loved the movie. I mean - Naveen Andrews!!

I am not a fan of LOTR but I forced myself to read the books (which I know is a terrible thing for true fans to hear). I loved the movies much better.

I hadn't known Mary Poppins was a book either! I never really liked the movie as a child but do like it now as an adult.

I was very interested to read what some of you said about Wuthering Heights because I just started the book and O-M-G am I finding it difficult. Maybe I'll just get the movie. It's mostly the language - I find I have to concentrate to even understand what is going on. So far I like the story.

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#93 of 105 Old 10-23-2010, 10:50 PM

I didn't really like WH, I do like the other Bronte's books so I don't think I would say it is a language issue.

WH is about two completely selfish people destroying everyone who did not let them have their way.

Cathy is only slightly redeemed by dying halfway through.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#94 of 105 Old 10-23-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
The Demi Moore Scarlet letter movie is very much changed from the book. They made Hester into more of an Anne Bradstreet. If you want to see a better film version.. track down the Meg Foster version.

I loved the book. Poor Hester, punished for loving.

The Demi Moore version of The Scarlett Letter is the WORST MOVIE EVER MADE.

#95 of 105 Old 10-24-2010, 03:05 AM

I picked The Scarlet Letter for my bookclub this month because I'd never read it and I am having a VERY difficult time with it. I don't get long stretches of quiet reading time and the LONG drawn out sentences make it difficult for me to get through. It's not that I dislike what he's saying, it's just not something that I want to jump back into. Since it was my selection however, I guess I'd better finish it!
#96 of 105 Old 10-24-2010, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I didn't really like WH, I do like the other Bronte's books so I don't think I would say it is a language issue.

WH is about two completely selfish people destroying everyone who did not let them have their way.
I agree! I loved Jane Eyre and liked several other Bronte books, but I read Wuthering Heights recently (when I finally realised I hadn't already read it!), and hated it. It was just nasty people being nasty to each other amidst a general atmosphere of nasty bleakness. I didn't see any redeeming features in it whatsoever. Most unexpected.

Quote:
Can I commit a heresy and say that I liked the movie of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince much, much better than the book? I felt like they did a better job with making Harry into the noble, likable hero in the movie. Not to slight anyone, who really loves the books, just my opinion. =)
It's funny, I just watched it the other day and thought it was one of the weaker adaptations. I'm not a ravening fan of the books, though I like most of them well enough and Goblet of Fire quite a lot. But for me the movies get progressively more irritating as certain of the young actors get worse at acting (or perhaps more fairly, have their powers taxed by more difficult material). Even in the Deathly Hallows trailer, which is mostly really short clips, Harry's acting seems distractingly bad to me. He did have a few funny moments in Half-Blood Prince when he was "on" luck potion, but I find his serious scenes really grating. And the whole Horcrux sequence seemed very out of place in the film... oh, and various other things. I think I like Prisoner of Azkaban best of the film adaptations.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#97 of 105 Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 AM

I agree with Holes and The Last of the Mohicans.

I'd add The Milagro Beanfield War to the list. It's not that the book is bad...it just is bitter and too sad somehow. The movie is really very good. I love it.
#98 of 105 Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecat View Post
My first thought when I saw the topic was The English Patient. I could not make it through the book but loved the movie. I mean - Naveen Andrews!!
See, this cracks me up! I almost didn't read The English Patient b/c I hated the movie so much. I have now read that book at least 15 times. The language is gorgeous. More poetry than prose, imo. There are passages that I have to read aloud b/c the words just taste good....

With you on Wuthering Heights, though. Bleh.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#99 of 105 Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
I thought of another one - The Bridges of Madison County.

Ick, I hated that book and wished I never would have read it.
Oh! I read this whole post just to see if anyone else would mention Bridges! YES! The book was shallow--but the movie made me cry like a baby!

The other one for me: The Lovely Bones. I would have never seen "heaven" as they created it in the movie--loved the movie, hated the book.
#100 of 105 Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think some of it has to do with which I do first. If I see a movie and love it, then go read the book. I might be disappointed, and vice versa. If I hated the movie, I probably would not read the book if I hated the movie.

That being said I agree with:
The Princess Bride
The Wizard of Oz

I would like to add:
The Shining
Schindler's List

I actually prefer the LOTR and HP books.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#101 of 105 Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
I picked The Scarlet Letter for my bookclub this month because I'd never read it and I am having a VERY difficult time with it. I don't get long stretches of quiet reading time and the LONG drawn out sentences make it difficult for me to get through. It's not that I dislike what he's saying, it's just not something that I want to jump back into. Since it was my selection however, I guess I'd better finish it!
I am a really big language person which probably why I love LotR so dearly. SL isn't something I could read in snatches, one does need some quite time.

I actually find Hawthorn to be a bit crazy but he sure does talk pretty. One of his forefathers was a judge that oversaw the Salem Witch Trials, I can't help thinking of that when I read his work.

#102 of 105 Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
I had to read it in high school and though I love love love reading, I could not read that book. I BSd my way through my paper on it. My brain would not accept the language.
#103 of 105 Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Funny. I found The Scarlet Letter... odd... myself. The language was implying a really creepy, shadowy kind of plot, but then nothing that eerie actually happened. I didn't love the book.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#104 of 105 Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4quiet View Post
See, this cracks me up! I almost didn't read The English Patient b/c I hated the movie so much. I have now read that book at least 15 times. The language is gorgeous. More poetry than prose, imo. There are passages that I have to read aloud b/c the words just taste good....

With you on Wuthering Heights, though. Bleh.
LOL I've given up on WH and have requested one of the movies from the library. Any recommendations on which version is the best?

I am not a language person at all. I am too literal and have no patience for paragraphs of beautiful language which really says nothing at all. At least that is how I see it. I know a lot of people love it. And it's not that I loved the movie of The English Patient. I just liked it a whole heck of a lot better than the book but I have always been a Naveen Andrews fan.

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#105 of 105 Old 11-01-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechella View Post
I also thought of Twilight and Lord of the Rings. I may be the only one, but in some ways I enjoyed the Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice better than that book. I know stuff was taken out and the dialogue was rushed in many places, but something about it makes the characters more "real" and endearing. I also loved the score!

I enjoyed the Watchmen book as much as the movie. There were many scenes in the film that were shot for shot the same as in the graphic novel, and the musical selection was great.

Blasphemer! haha. sorry. P&P is one of my all time favorite books. To be fair I haven't actually seen the keira knightly version...I DO really really LOVE the BBC p&p. Its like 6 hours long. I think it's as good as the book for sure. Maybe better because it's got Colin Firth eye candy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page