Movies that are better than the book - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 105 Old 08-08-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so usually the book is better than the movie, right?

But can you think of any examples where you think the movie is better than the book?

For me, Interview With the Vampire is one. (Don't hate me!!)

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 105 Old 08-08-2009, 05:20 PM

The Firm with Tom Cruise. They changed the ending for the movie, amen!! One of my top 20 all time favs, I that movie!!

The Iron Giant! Just saw it, what a doll of a movie.
#3 of 105 Old 08-08-2009, 05:33 PM

The Princess Bride
Jaws
The Shawshank Redemption
The 13th Warrior
#4 of 105 Old 08-09-2009, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The English Patient

I love the film. The book is poetic but it's so sparse. The author is a family friend but I love the film better. :

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#5 of 105 Old 08-09-2009, 02:16 AM

Jurassic Park is about as good, better in parts, and the sequel is definitely better because you can tell he wrote the book as a screenplay. :roll

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#6 of 105 Old 08-09-2009, 02:23 AM

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, since I still think the book is better than the movie. But, for me, the Lord of the Rings trillogy is my favorite movie of all time. The books, while better than the movie, are not my favorite books.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#7 of 105 Old 08-09-2009, 02:48 AM

I hated the Twilight books, but actually thought they did a good job with the movie. At least, Bella seemed to have more spunk in the movie. However, I really like the actress Kristen Stewart, so I could be biased due to that. I think she's fantastic in everything.

I liked watching the Harry Potter movies better than I did reading the books.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#8 of 105 Old 08-09-2009, 05:01 PM

A Walk To Remember, that book was boring...
#9 of 105 Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Jurassic Park is about as good, better in parts, and the sequel is definitely better because you can tell he wrote the book as a screenplay. :roll
I agree, in the book I had no sympathy for the Grandfather who was only interested in money. In the movie each of the kids had their talents, and the Grandfather wanted to show dinosours to everyone, not just the rich. In the book I wanted everyone to get eaten by the dinosours.
#10 of 105 Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 PM

twilight the books kinda seemed like they were written by someone who wasnt the greatest writer
#11 of 105 Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 PM

The two that come to mind are Interview With the Vampire (the book was booooooooring!) and Fahrenheit 451 (got about three chapters in before I got fed up with the way that guy writes).

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#12 of 105 Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Don't hate me, but I preferred Stardust the film to Stardust the book. I saw the movie first and loved the charisma of the actors: by comparison the book's characters are a bit flat and don't have nearly the same chemistry. I know a lot of people love the book, so perhaps it was due to expectations: but still, Stardust is in my top 20 - maybe even top 15 - favourite films, and the book doesn't even count as one I like.

I like Jurassic Park way better as a book, though. I read the book first, and then got disappointed that the dinos in the movie didn't look as real as the ones in my imagination. Oh, and I couldn't stand Interview with the Vampire in either format. We get it, drinking blood = sex, enough already! I think Buffy spoiled me for pretentious vampire lore.

I like Breakfast at Tiffany's far better as a film, but I wouldn't say it's better than the novella: just very, very different.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#13 of 105 Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 PM

Forrest Gump.
The book is weird. Forrest is kind of a perv. And there are some events that are even more ridiculous and totally unbelievable compared to the ones they used in the movie. Plus you don't have the soundtrack or score.
#14 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 AM

the origianl charlie and the chocoalet factory. I loved the movie, but the book was just okay - but i also saw the movie as a kid,and read the book aloud to my own kids as an adult. I wonder if I would feel the same if I read the book first...
#15 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutiekitties View Post
The Firm with Tom Cruise. They changed the ending for the movie, amen!! One of my top 20 all time favs, I that movie!!
Totally agree! I loved the way the writers changed the ending--it was perfect! Much better than the book.

I almost like the LOTR movies better than the books. The changes made...work. They do.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#16 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Fahrenheit 451 (got about three chapters in before I got fed up with the way that guy writes).
Oh, say it ain't so, MD!!!
Quote:
In the book I wanted everyone to get eaten by the dinosours.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#17 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
the origianl charlie and the chocoalet factory. I loved the movie, but the book was just okay - but i also saw the movie as a kid,and read the book aloud to my own kids as an adult. I wonder if I would feel the same if I read the book first...

I felt this way about Mary Poppins. I mean I know the movie was a musical and they tend to be syrupy and upbeat but I really disliked the book. I read it to my daughter a year or two ago and found it so dark. I couldn't find anything likable about MP and couldn't understand why the kids liked her so. I mean, she was magical and all in the book but she also came across to me as more unkind than lovingly firm.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

#18 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 AM

I have to agree with both Forest Gump and Mary Poppins. I found both books somewhat strange.

I would also add Bridget Jones's Diary.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#19 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Oh, say it ain't so, MD!!!
After the nth hundered thousandth "living but not living, breathing but not breathing" type of crap I just tossed it across the room and said screw it. Last time I checked there was more then one type of writing device to use when authoring a book.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#20 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 AM

Nooooo! Bridget Jones' Diary is way better than the movie! I read the book, saw the movie and was like "Why is this popular?" The book (and the original column) is witty and well-plotted. The movie is Renee Zellweger being amusingly fat - which isn't that funny and also entirely misses the point of the book, which is that she obsesses about her weight despite not being fat. And then there's the sequel, which I think is even better (book) and worse (movie). I really do not get the movie hype. What am I missing?

#21 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 AM

3rds on Mary Poppins. Of course I could do the movie by heart and just read it to the boys last summer, but in the book, I didn't like her very much. Of course, Julie Andrews could probably make you like Hitler! (At least if he sang )) I've never read Princess Bride, but I LOVE the movie so I can't imagine that the book would surpass the movie. My theory has always been that if you see the movie first, the movie stands a chance because you're not thinking of all that you're missing but involving yourself in the story at hand. If you've read the book first, the movie is always a tough sell.

It's not better, but To Kill a Mockingbird is fabulous in both formats. )
#22 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM

Ugh. The Wizard of Oz. Maybe cause I'm biased from growing up with the movie, but I just couldn't go back and get through the book.

Wuthering Heights. The movie came across with the dark feeling I think the book should have had...the book was just creepy and disjointed for me...and not because of the writing style, I like books of that era very much.

Center
#23 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
The English Patient

I love the film. The book is poetic but it's so sparse. The author is a family friend but I love the film better. :

OMG yes! Before I openned this thread, it was the first movie that popped into my mind.

The first time I saw the movie, I didn't get what all the hype was about. I watched it some time later and then I "got it"

I had to sort of force myself to finish the book.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#24 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Bridget Jones' Diary is way better than the movie! I read the book, saw the movie and was like "Why is this popular?" The book (and the original column) is witty and well-plotted. The movie is Renee Zellweger being amusingly fat - which isn't that funny and also entirely misses the point of the book, which is that she obsesses about her weight despite not being fat. And then there's the sequel, which I think is even better (book) and worse (movie). I really do not get the movie hype. What am I missing?
Colin Firth. Enough said. : I agree with you that the book was better than the movie, but the whole Colin Firth/Mr. Darcy casting was so awesome that, to me, it made up for any of the movie's shortcomings. Although, I still don't understand why, with all the talented actresses in Britain, they had to cast an extremely petite American as Bridget.

Another movie I enjoyed more than the book: Revolutionary Road.

And I also liked the movie Gone Baby Gone better than the book. I still didn't agree with the choice that Patrick made at the end, but at least in the movie, I understood why he made it.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#25 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't even know Mary Poppins was a book!

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#26 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 03:42 PM

I agree with The Shawshank Redemption. LOVE the movie! I couldn't get through the book. Just too graphic for me.

I disagree w/ Bridget Jones' Diary. The book was hilarious and better than the movie.

Don't hate me, but The Secret Life of Bees. For some reason I just couldn't get into the book. I read about half. I love all her other stuff, though. I loved the movie!

Wicked. Not technically a movie (yet?) but the book is sooooo much better than the musical. And I even loved the musical. I just REALLY loved the book.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#27 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
I didn't even know Mary Poppins was a book!
I agree with pp - the book is pretty awful, and I happen to LOVE classic children's lit - hardly ever read anything printed after 1970. But that book just wasn't very good at all - and teh movie is one of my all time favorites.
#28 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 PM

I didn't even realize some of the classics were books as well. I guess the fact that we saw them as a movie and they took a special place in our hearts overrides the book part. So many modern movies fail to live up to the book though
#29 of 105 Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 PM

I remember really liking one chapter of Mary Poppins (it's several books, actually: haven't read them all). It was a chapter about how the baby (babies?) could talk to the sparrow on the windowsill, and it warned them that soon they'd grow up and wouldn't be able to understand birdsong anymore. And the baby was adamant that it would, but a few days later it had lost the ability and the sparrow was sort of sadly philosophical about it... Something like that, I read it a long time ago. But it was really well written, and I'm a sucker for the lost youth theme (Peter Pan makes me cry buckets), so I like the books for the sake of that one poignant chapter.

But yeah, I do remember Mary being very harsh and... odd... in the books. And wasn't there one plot about someone going to the moon, or... something? Man, it has been a while!

I LOVE the Princess Bride book. I love the movie more, because I saw it first and the actors are phenomenal (plus it's purer and less cynical), but the book is hilarious. I got such a kick out of people telling me they wanted to read the unabridged version.

#30 of 105 Old 08-11-2009, 06:44 PM

Interview with the vampire for sure!

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I like the book a lot, but I think the movie is even better. Same with Trainspotting.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page