Hobbitses movies...IT'S HERE! WARNING: SPOILERS - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Faramir's hair: I don't like it either. I don't notice it anymore but it's awkward.

Smokering, we have started the first leg of our pilgrimage, the 4 of us, we'll be at your pace in about 18 hours. We won't take up any room, we'll be very quiet. We'll sleep on the floor. You have been to all those places! Thats so cooll! Lol!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Am I the lone holdout for Jackson/Wenham's Faramir?  *Sigh*

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I was smitten by David Wenhem. Not only is he very handsome, but his portrayal of being wounded to the core by his cruel father was really moving.  My couple of objections to him on seeing the movie the first time was that 1) he didn't look like how I imagined Faramir would look, and 2) I had a vague memory that in the book he was a more resolute character. Neither of those things are in Wenhem's control. I'm really glad I didn't re-read the books immediately before seeing the movies.

I LOVE Peter Jackson's LotR. Though there are lots and lots of things I would have done differently, I think the movies are epic and authoritative.  Though it would have been fun to see Tom Bombadil, I was never bothered that he wasn't included. They're right, his is one story that wasn't strictly necessary to include in the Ring's story.

I think movie-Arwen is Fran Walsh's idea, and it's brilliant.  The books sorely needed more significant, active women, besides Eowen all by herself. Movie-Arwen wasn't just this beautiful, ethereal elvish prop for Aragorn's story. she was much more interesting.  And making her an amalgamation of her brothers was perfect.  The movie didn't need more guys who'd show up for a few minutes, never to be seen again. People who'd never read the books, or who'd read them once years ago, would get them mixed up, "Wait, there's more of these guys, am I supposed to keep track of them?" Liv Tyler is very beautiful and looked the part.  She's just kind of a weak actor. 

I imagine that's why this Itaril character was created for the Hobbit movie.  She fills out the female dimension, something that many girls agree is sorely missing the first time they read Tolkien's books. 

I can't go on about these movies and have these conversations about the itty-bitty detailed comparison to the books, anywhere else in real life. 

Edited to add another criticism of the movie, because I can't really do this elsewhere,  I think the good-by scene at the end of RotK is probably baffling to people who haven't read the books. I think the music swells waay too much, they focus on Elija Wood's huge eyes uncomfortably too long, the whole thing is just over-wrought.  However, I know they were trying to portray the epic, aching, bittersweet feeling that pervaded that goodby in the book, and I appreciate it.  I cried when I finished reading the book; it felt like the world had ended.  It was a tragic loss for the whole world that the Elves were leaving never to come back, that Aragorn and that world of Men was fading into the past. 

So I know that's what they were trying to portray, and maybe it's impossible to translate that onto film.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I think movie-Arwen is Fran Walsh's idea, and it's brilliant.  The books sorely needed more significant, active women, besides Eowen all by herself. Movie-Arwen wasn't just this beautiful, ethereal elvish prop for Aragorn's story. she was much more interesting. 

This is another illustration of how different people's perspectives can be. I found Arwen to be a complete waste of screen time, and her charcter was annoying as crap. I didn't find her interesting in the least...unless I call the attempt to tack on some kind of personality by having her rush Frodo to Rivendell "interesting". I so, so, so wish they'd just left her completely out. I don't know anybody in real life who found her even remotely significant or interesting...and she was amazingly non-active (aside from the aforementioned, tacked-on race to save Frodo).

Sorry - just had to vent. I hate Arwen's character with a passion. I know some people who hate her because they hate Liv Tyler. I don't care about the actress, one way or the other. I simply can't stand Arwen. And, it kind of depresses me to know that was a woman's input. Seriously? "Oh, look - we've got LOTR to work with - let's try to make it play like a Harlequin romance". Blech.

(Mind you, I've also spent the last 15 years or so wondering where all the strong female characters are hiding in Wheel of Time. I must have overlooked them, too.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Smokering, we have started the first leg of our pilgrimage, the 4 of us, we'll be at your pace in about 18 hours. We won't take up any room, we'll be very quiet. We'll sleep on the floor. You have been to all those places! Thats so cooll! Lol!

lol.gif Hey, most of you lot live in the US, where celebrities are swarming like flies and every other film was shot. I'll revel in New Zealand's one little moment of glory. :p

Quote:
I found Arwen to be a complete waste of screen time, and her charcter was annoying as crap.

I tend to agree. I didn't hate all her scenes - like I said, the prophecy scene of Aragorn's eventual death, with Elrond's beautiful voiceover, was awesome. But that was despite her, not because of her. :p It was completely unnecessary to tack on the "Arwen will die if the Ring is not destroyed" storyline - like the stakes weren't high enough already? The flight to Rivendell... ehh, I can accept that, whatever. The "nearly leaving Middle-Earth but having a vision" bit I'm so-so on - with a better actor, her confrontation with Elrond could have been quite moving. The "sexy seethrough dress" scene? Eugh.

Mostly, I just didn't find her believable as an Elf. Cate Blanchett, yes. Hugo Weaving, yes - which is particularly impressive given that his face doesn't exactly scream "majestic elven beauty" to me. They had gravitas, intelligence, wisdom... I could see them as thousands of years old. Liv? Heck no. She came across as vague, not ethereal; dim, not mysterious; vacant, not deep. I don't hate Liv (I first saw her in That Thing You Do! and thought she was adorable), but her portrayal combined with the interviews I've seen make me conclude she just didn't have the intelligence or experience to pull off the part. She didn't get it.

Tolkien's work definitely does lack women - and we wouldn't even have Eowyn if his daughter hadn't objected to said lack - but honestly, it's a flaw I'd be happy to let stand in the movies, as just one of those things. I wasn't thrilled to hear about the Itaril character either, precisely because of how Jackson dealt with Arwen - I'm worried she'll come off as annoying and make most of the fans wish they'd saved the screentime for the actual plot.

I don't think I'd have wanted Arwen left out of the film altogether; I just don't like how she was done. Maybe it's another one of Kobayashi Maru situations. Like Storm Bride, nearly all the fans I know found movie-Arwen grating in the extreme. Gorgeous costumes though, I'll give her that...

Quote:
Edited to add another criticism of the movie, because I can't really do this elsewhere,  I think the good-by scene at the end of RotK is probably baffling to people who haven't read the books. I think the music swells waay too much, they focus on Elija Wood's huge eyes uncomfortably too long, the whole thing is just over-wrought.  However, I know they were trying to portray the epic, aching, bittersweet feeling that pervaded that goodby in the book, and I appreciate it.  I cried when I finished reading the book; it felt like the world had ended.  It was a tragic loss for the whole world that the Elves were leaving never to come back, that Aragorn and that world of Men was fading into the past.

I agree - and the whole scene feels like it's been slightly slowed down. The dialogue is really slow - "I triiieedd to saaave the Shiiiire" - and the scene could easily have had 30% lopped off in the editing room. But it was a noble effort, and it still works for me to some extent. (And I love Sam's little hobbit children when he returns home!)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that was the perfect ending!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 PM

Movie Arwen was kind of necessary, IMO, once they changed Aragorn's character from a man who was nobly biding his time until he could take his kingship properly, to a noble man who was hesitant to accept this duty.  With this change (Jackson talks about why they changed it in the making of specials included in the extended addition) I think they needed a new motivation for him to accept his kingship.  Arwen dying --clunky, annoying-- did the job.

Elrond was half-elven, so, yes, Weaving was perfect even though he was not beautiful.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

I have a relatively shallow knowledge of Elrond's background. I can never get him straight in my head.  He's written like he's the Elf Among Elves, equal to Galadriel. But he's 'only' half elf. Those two aspects don't jive right in my head.  He's how old in LotR?

...Looked it up, he's "well over 6,000 years old" at the time of LotR.  

Ah, OK, my confusion came from comparing him to Galadriel.  She's way more powerful.  How cool is this, she went into Mordor and cleaned it up with a tornado before leaving Middle Earth.  Apparently she was more than 8,000 years old at the time of LotR. 

Old 07-19-2012, 11:45 PM

Elrond isn't "half-elven" per se. He's an Elf. I'm a bit rusty on my Middle-Earth geekery, but he descended from one of the other two human/Elf pairs - Tuor and Idril, I think. Their children could all choose whether they wanted to be human or Elven. Elrond chose to be an Elf, so he's "full" Elf - immortal, all the bells and whistles - but yes, in theory he could have taken after the human/ugly side of the family in terms of looks, I suppose. :p Although most of the noble Men back then were supposed to be pretty good-looking. Certainly Idril was.

And yeah, Galadriel is hugely powerful.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Movie Arwen was kind of necessary, IMO, once they changed Aragorn's character from a man who was nobly biding his time until he could take his kingship properly, to a noble man who was hesitant to accept this duty.  With this change (Jackson talks about why they changed it in the making of specials included in the extended addition) I think they needed a new motivation for him to accept his kingship.  Arwen dying --clunky, annoying-- did the job.

I don't think they needed anything. The Ring crisis, including the all-out war on Men, would have been enough. Hesitant or not, he still had a sense of duty. Personally, I think Arwen was handled the way she was for the sole purpose of adding "chick appeal". That bites. I hate "chick flicks", and sure as hell wasn't looking for any of that crap in LOTR!

Oh, well - what's done is done. I do love the movies, but I can't help hoping that one day, someone will tackle them again...and leave out the Harelequin-esque romance crap, languishing Elf lady...and maybe not quite so many long, drawn-out camera shots on Frodo's wide eyes and soulful face. He honestly didn't come across to me as being capable of bearing the ring across a room, let alone across Mordor. (I think Elijah Wood did okay, but I didn't like him as a casting choice, and I didn't really care for the way Frodo was written.)

Elrond was half-elven, so, yes, Weaving was perfect even though he was not beautiful.

I didn't think most of the Elves were really beautiful, to be honest. I liked the way they were cast, though - I think that, for the most part, they were going for actors with unusual faces full of character, instead of just prettiness.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Correction: Galadriel tore down the walls of Dol Guldur, not Mordor.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I didn't think most of the Elves were really beautiful, to be honest. I liked the way they were cast, though - I think that, for the most part, they were going for actors with unusual faces full of character, instead of just prettiness.

They were going for tall, thin and androgynous with plenty of cheekbone. I agree, I didn't think most of them were beautiful per se - in fact I thought they were kind of odd-looking.

I wonder if another film version will ever be made? I'm dubious, just because these films have attained such classic, "definitive" status - it'd be like remaking Gone with the Wind or the Harry Potter movies. But then, with Hollywood's love affair with reboots, both of those might well happen someday. I'd certainly be interested in seeing another take on LOTR, but there are some aspects I doubt could be bettered - the music, some of the casting choices, the costumes and set design, etc.

Would love to see the Scouring of the Shire, though. I get why it was left out, but it was such a satisfying part of the books! Seeing Merry and Pippin really come into their own like that was awesome. Maybe a miniseries would suit the structure of the stories better.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:23 PM

I actually think a miniseries could be great. There's a lot of story to pack into any format. A miniseries could break in different places, emphasize storylines differently, etc. I'm guessing that if it gets rebooted, it won't be for quite a while.

And, personally, I'd love to see a reboot of Harry Potter. I don't think it will ever happen, because Pottermania has peaked (imo). But, I think the later films in that series really suffered from the fact that the book series wasn't finished when filming of the movies started. Anyone doing a reboot would know which "minor" details were going to end up being more important later on and things like that.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

And, personally, I'd love to see a reboot of Harry Potter. I don't think it will ever happen, because Pottermania has peaked (imo). But, I think the later films in that series really suffered from the fact that the book series wasn't finished when filming of the movies started. Anyone doing a reboot would know which "minor" details were going to end up being more important later on and things like that.

Like the shattered mirror.  When I first saw DH1, I had forgotten that detail from the 5th book, a detail they left out of the movie and ended up being pivotal in the 7th book.

I think a series of LOTR sounds fabulous.  "Cable" TV has shown recently that it can pull off good series (serieses..es....es..whatever) and people have bigger screens at home (well, other homes orngtongue.gif).   Still, I'm dying for my daughter to see the series on the big screen as I did (at the Cinerama in Seattle.....HUGE screen.  The Balrog scene was....wow!)

Old 07-20-2012, 11:48 PM

The big screen was awesome...but I went for popcorn refills during the big Shelob scenes - and unfortunately came back in just in time to see her stalking Frodo. *shudder*

I really don't like spiders, and that kind of size doesn't improve them even a little bit.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

It's officially a trilogy: 

http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-hobbit/peter-jacksons-long-awaited-filmed-adaptation-of-the-hobbit-to-be-a-trilogy/413954741973470

I'm excited!  1) I've never read the Silmarillion so these first two Hobbit movies were going to have unfamiliar material anyway.  2) I'd already accepted there's going to be more original content than in the LotR movies.  3) I want to enjoy the experience so I'm keeping an open mind as much as possible.  I already know there's going to be annoying stupid stuff. 

This should be fun!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM

If well done, it could be wonderful.  I'm not sure how well it will go over for my will-be-almost-8yo, who will be expecting The Hobbit and not much else.  She enjoyed LOTR, though, so she could have fun if, like you, she is prepared for the other stuff. I know she will like more of the Necromancer in the tale. Even though he is only mentioned in the book, she loves when they talk about it.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM

OK, uber-fans, let your geek-flag fly and tell me what I want to read for this trilogy.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:13 PM

Grumble grumble mutter. Yeah, I was hoping the trilogy idea would blow over... like when they briefly considered making Samwise a girl for LOTR (I kid you not). I really don't like the idea. Tolkien was hardly famous for his brevity, but even he knew well enough to put various backstories and tangents in the Appendices where they belonged, instead of bogging down the plot with extraneous detail.

Plus, the only bit of the Silmarillion I'd really like to see onscreen is Beren and Luthien, which presumably won't make it into the trilogy (well, hopefully, it's completely irrelevant!). Maybe the Fall of Gondolin. The rest, meh.

SweetSilver, it's hard to know what PJ's going to put in the films, but you should read The Hobbit and LOTR (obviously), the Appendices to LOTR - especially the story of Aragorn and Arwen - and, if you're really keen and want to cover all bases, the Silmarillion.

Heh - I just remembered I had a weird dream last night, in which I went to see The Hobbit and it was really awful. Pages from Aragorn and Arwen's (mutual) diary kept coming up onscreen, written in this Comic Sans-like font, and containing checklists and puns; and I was so mad I could hardly stop myself shouting out at the screen. And then I was in the movie and there was a forest full of Ents and a mental asylum, and this obnoxious guy I used to work with was there and kept trying to escape... you know how dreams are. But I guess my subconscious is pretty riled about the changes!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Denny's Hobbit menu:  http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-dennys-middle-earth-hobbit-20121023,0,4853088.story

I'm torn.  On the one hand this seems almost blasphemous.  On the other hand, this means there HAS to be a Tolkien fan somewhere in Denny's menu research & development.  lol.gif 

Old 10-24-2012, 10:20 AM

"Radagast's Red Velvet Puppies"?????  I'm a bit lost on that one. Because he loves animals?

Let's think of some more Hobbit-y (or LOTR-sy) menu items for them:

Frodo's Fragrant Mushroom Fricasee

Bilbo's Seedcake, Sausage and Tea

Lord of the Eagles Roasted Rabbit

Gollum's Sushi

Beorn's Continental Breakfast:  Bread, Clotted Cream and Honey

Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

lol.gif

Apparently there's a cafe in Texas that does something similar. 

I was thinking Smaug's Smoked Lamb Chops. 

Found it:  http://www.myhobbitcafe.com/index.php

Their menu is very clever!  They had the same idea, with the Smaug's Delight, smoked turkey sandwich.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Can't forget 'taters!  Boiled, mashed, or in a stew....

Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Ah, yes.  Sam's Coney Stew with Wild-Harvested Ithilien Herbs 

Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Or, almost here in the US.   My dd is going to a midnight show tomorrow.  We might see it Sunday. 

So, is anyone else going to a midnight show?

Heh!  The thread was started on 09/09/09, and today is 12/12/12.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DD is concerned that Rotten Tomatoes rated it at 70-something when KIng Kong was rated at 80-something. Can't recall the exact numbers. Doesn't bode well. 

She has asked for a ride to the theatre tonight. Not a problem. I'm less thrilled with the thought of having to pick her up in the wee small hours. DH flew out on Monday on a business trip. I had to be up at 4 a.m to drive him to the airport. I often have insomnia and disruptions to my sleep cycles tend to linger. Last night I finally had a good night's sleep. After tonight, it may be another few days before I get a good rest. If I seem a little cranky, there's a good reason.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Saw it last night with Dad. Consider this post spoilery.

All in all, I was disappointed - except not, because I had low expectations. It was very patchy, and clunky, and overlong.

Cons:

-Like I suspected, the tone was unsure. PJ was obviously trying to make the film "match" LOTR, down to adding scenes from the day of Bilbo's party (which didn't really work - Bilbo looked facelifted, and while Elijah Wood is pretty darned ageless, he had a slight moustache shadow.) So the film was mostly very dark and epic. But then there were some lighter, almost kiddie moments, such as the dwarves' dishwashing scene - which was pretty neat, it just felt out of place.

-The opening. Boring. Shouldn't have been. I think it should have just started in the Shire, with flashbacks to the downfall of Erebor later if need be - but I'm not convinced they were needed at all. If PJ had been forced to keep the film at a reasonable length (ie, not 9 hours to tell a straightforward story!), he would have left it out and nobody would have missed it.

-I hadn't realised how similar LOTR and The Hobbit are, in terms of plot. The Eagles saving the day... Rivendell and the Shire... giant spiders... wargs... orcs... It's fine in the book, but it felt very rehashed in the movie. Partly because of Howard Shore's leitmotif thing. Weird, because I LOVE his LOTR score, but it seemed too obvious here. "Oh, that music, the Eagles must be coming" - "Oh, Elves must be about to show up" - "Oh, the Lorien theme, Galadriel must be around". The dwarven theme was lovely, though.

-Too many cheesy speeches. Fellowship's "What to do with the time that is given to you" speech - good. Sam's patriotic speech at the end of TTT - cheesy and vaguely anachronistic. The Hobbit's "theme" speeches reminded me of the latter. They came across as very staged - "we're going to have a moment now in which someone wise says something wise that sums up the movie, k?" Annoying.

-Galadriel looked stunning, but too iconic, if that makes sense, with her dress wrapped around her ankles as she turned. It looked like the shot was designed for a trading card. It was too perfect.

-I didn't like the "sexy dwarf king" thing. Thorin didn't look like a Dwarf. The proportions were all wrong, and he just wasn't believable. Good actor and all, just not Dwarf-y. And in general, the dwarves didn't "match" - some were buffoony, almost cartoony, some looked like slightly short men of Gondor, some were halfway between. They didn't seem to come from the same universe.

-3D sucks. I knew this. Not the movie's fault. I won 3D tickets. But still, it's worth saying. Why do people make stuff in 3D again?

-The escape from the Goblin King's lair was way too Indiana Jones. No way they should have survived that. Spectacle over storytelling. Bah humbug.

-Radagast... what? Just what?

Pros:

-The "Riddles in the Dark" scene was very good.

-Martin Freeman. Perfect casting. Although in the first scene with Gandalf, he played a more obvious Bilbo - blustering, fussy, dignified - and after that he just kind of played a regular Martin Freeman character. Which fits in with Bilbo pretty well, so it was fine, mostly...

-It was nice to see Elrond doing something vaguely active.

-The dwarves' humour didn't bug me as much as I expected. It wasn't too juvenile. I quite liked the meal at Rivendell, in which the Elves came across as a little bit sappy and la-dee-dah.

-The stuff about the Necromancer annoyed me less than I expected. And the Ring wasn't the focus of the film, thankfully. Nor, I am happy to say, did Legolas, Arwen or Aragorn show up at any point.

-Some stunning scenery

-Bilbo's running after the dwarves and joining up on the adventure was done very nicely - one of the few moments that felt like an accurate representation of the book, to me, and didn't annoy me in some way!

-I liked the finding of Sting, Orcrist and Glamdring

So... yeah. I'll have to see it again at some point, but it's not something I'm dying to do. I'm glad I'm not in huge-obsessive-Tolkien-fan mode, or I'd be a lot more peeved - I have enough distance now to say calmly "Well, that could have been better".

I was surprised by how far through the story we got. I kept expecting it to end, and it didn't. Does this mean Film 2 will finish the Hobbit story, and film 3 will be the fanfictiony "transitional" film PJ threatened awhile back? Or will there just be a ton of fluff in Films 2 and 3? Bleh.

My father, who hasn't read The Hobbit for 30+ years and was enchanted by the free food we got with the tickets, apparently enjoyed the film very much. So there's that. I can't wait to talk to my little sister about it - she's 14 and just recently discovered the LOTR movies, and loves them. She saw The Hobbit at midnight and sent me an email saying it was "interesting" and she wanted to talk to me about it. I hope she wasn't horribly disappointed... although I hope she wasn't thrilled either. Good taste is important in a sibling. :p

Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

I will not read Smokering's post.  I will not read Smokering's post. I will not read Smokering's post.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I will not read Smokering's post.  I will not read Smokering's post. I will not read Smokering's post.

biglaugh.gif

DD loved it. Before I mention a few of her comments, here's a warning about the 3D. When the movie started, the 3D wasn't synced up. The audience almost rioted. They were shouting "fix it!' "FIX IT". There was a sudden, painful flash on the screen - she described her eyes burning (but DD is kinda dramatic) - and then the 3D was fine. So beware if the 3D isn't working and look away from the screen before that correction happens.

DD doesn't like 3D - it can give her headaches, although not so much since she worked with a developmental optometrist for convergence issues (uncovered by previous 3D viewing, btw).  So if anyone is really bothered by 3D, it may be worth getting it checked out because these issues can affect reading. It explained DD's fatigue with extended reading.  

Not sure what is spoiler-y (I don't think any of it is) but she said: 

- it helped to remember that this was NOT a LOTR film and to expect differences

- Martin Freeman was perfect

- she liked the use of Tolkein's songs, particularly when Thorin Oakenshield sang, and she liked the score, particularly the dwarves' theme

- she recognized some of the New Zealand scenery from the LOTR films - gorgeous, of course 

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM

I care not about spoilers, as I'm not expecting anything, so I read your post. :)

I have to comment on a couple things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

All in all, I was disappointed - except not, because I had low expectations. It was very patchy, and clunky, and overlong.

This is about where I'm at, but I'm a bit concerned that you still said you were disappointed. I hope that was a "disappointed, because I'd hoped my expectations were wrong", not a "disappointed, because it didn't even live up to my low expectations". .

Cons:

-The opening. Boring. Shouldn't have been. I think it should have just started in the Shire, with flashbacks to the downfall of Erebor later if need be - but I'm not convinced they were needed at all. If PJ had been forced to keep the film at a reasonable length (ie, not 9 hours to tell a straightforward story!), he would have left it out and nobody would have missed it.

I'm a little worred about this, overall. Even considering that he's adding in background from other material, nine hours for The Hobbit is nuts.

-I didn't like the "sexy dwarf king" thing. Thorin didn't look like a Dwarf. The proportions were all wrong, and he just wasn't believable. Good actor and all, just not Dwarf-y. And in general, the dwarves didn't "match" - some were buffoony, almost cartoony, some looked like slightly short men of Gondor, some were halfway between. They didn't seem to come from the same universe.

I've had this feeling from the trailers. I keep looking at various dwarves and thinking "wait - those are dwarves? What?". They just don't look or feel right in the trailers.

-3D sucks. I knew this. Not the movie's fault. I won 3D tickets. But still, it's worth saying. Why do people make stuff in 3D again?

I'm sorry. I hate 3D. It gives me a headache (I don't have depth perception and watching a movie in 3D seems to do weird things to my brain, but if I take the glasses off, it looks even worse. I also think movies are suffering, because too many scenes are being filmed so they'll look good in 3D, not so they look good, in general. (Harry's final "duel" with Voldemort in Deathly Hallows was a perfect example, imo.) I've gotten stuck with 3D a few times, and I hate it.

-The escape from the Goblin King's lair was way too Indiana Jones. No way they should have survived that. Spectacle over storytelling. Bah humbug.

I think Jackson has a real problem with this, in general.

-Radagast... what? Just what?

Pros:

-It was nice to see Elrond doing something vaguely active.

I think I'm looking forward to that!

-The stuff about the Necromancer annoyed me less than I expected. And the Ring wasn't the focus of the film, thankfully. Nor, I am happy to say, did Legolas, Arwen or Aragorn show up at any point.

I'm giving it one extra point on a 1-10 scale, sight unseen, just for this.

My father, who hasn't read The Hobbit for 30+ years and was enchanted by the free food we got with the tickets, apparently enjoyed the film very much. So there's that. I can't wait to talk to my little sister about it - she's 14 and just recently discovered the LOTR movies, and loves them. She saw The Hobbit at midnight and sent me an email saying it was "interesting" and she wanted to talk to me about it. I hope she wasn't horribly disappointed... although I hope she wasn't thrilled either. Good taste is important in a sibling. :p

BWAHAHAHAHA! Well said. (My own sister has no interest in LOTR or The Hobbit, either in book form or on film. What can you do?)

User Tag List