Favorite quotes from children's books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought this would be a good thread in general, but I have a specific idea I'm looking for too. My mom just passed away and I'm planning her funeral. EVERYONE does Bible verses. My mom was a children's librarian, and I thought if I could find a bit of wisdom about life and death, or life in general, from a children's book, that would be good to either put in the memorial service bulletin, or read at the funeral, that would be fantastic.

9/14/09--Now x-posted with Spirituality, with additional idea involving flowers and theme of rebirth.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6#post14382156
#2 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My sympathies for your loss.

What a lovely idea. I'm afraid most of our children's books are packed up due to a recent move. I've been racking my brains trying to dredge up some ideas. One favourite is from The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery:

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.

Take care.
#3 of 11 Old 09-12-2009, 12:08 PM

This is such a lovely way to memorialize your mother.

I was going to put in the exact same quote as the PP...there's lots of really beautiful stuff in the The Little Prince about saying goodbye & friendship that would make a lovely reading. I suggest taking a look at the last third of the book. I looked up the quote above, & here it is in it's entirety:

And he went back to the fox.
"Good-bye," he said.
"Good-bye," said the fox. "Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
"Anything essential is invisible to the eyes," the little prince repeated, in order to remember.
"It's the time you spent on your rose that makes your rose so important."
"It's the time I spent on my rose...," the little prince repeated, in order to remember.
"People have forgotten this truth," the fox said. "But you mustn't forget it. You become responsible forever for what you've tamed. You're responsible for your rose..."
"I''m responsible for my rose...," the little prince repeated in order to remember.

Here's more from The Little Prince:

"What makes the desert beautiful," the little prince said, "is that it hides a well somewhere..."

I was surprised by suddenly understanding the mysterious radiance of the sands. When I was a litle boy I lived in an old house, and there was a legen dthat a treasure was buried in it somewhere. Of course, no one was ever able to find the treasure...But it cast a spell over that whole house. My house hid a secret in the depths of its heart...

Yes," I said to the little prince, "whether it's a house or the stars or the desert, what makes them beautiful is invisible."

"I'm glad," he siad, "you agree with my fox."

As the little prince was falling asleep, I picked him up in my arms, and started walking again...It was as if I was carrying a fragile treasure...By the light of the moon, I gazed at that pale forehead, those closed eyes, those locks of hair trembling in the wind, and I said to myself, What I am looking at is only a shell. What's most important is invisible...

Here's another favorite quote about the heart, this one is from A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, when Sara says good-bye to her papa:

Then he went with Sara into her little sitting-room and they bade each other good-bye. Sara sat on his knee and held the lapels of his coat in her small hands, and looked long and hard at his face.
"Are you learning me by heart, little Sara," he said, stroking her hair.
"No," she answered. "I know you by heart. You are inside my heart."

Two other longer suggestions: The very end of The House at Pooh Corner (AAMilne) has a lovely almost-good-bye dialogue between Christopher Robin & Pooh. The Velveteen Rabbit (Margery Williams), just at the end, when the nursery fairy makes the velveteen rabbit real - all about transformation.

Finally, a piece I love from Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Richard Bach), although I'm not sure if this book is considered children's lit (I read it to my 5yrd old):

They came in the evening, then, and found Jonathan gliding peaceful and alone through his beloved sky. The two gulls that appeared at his wings were pure as starlight, and the glow from them was gentle and friendly in the high night air. But most lovely of all was the skill with which they flew, their wingtips moving a precise and constant inch from his own.

Without a word, Jonathan put them to his test, a test that no gull had ever passed...He folded his wings, rolled and dropped in a dive to a hundred ninety miles per hour. They dropped with him, streaking down in flawless formation...He recovered to level flight and was quiet for a time before he spoke. "Very well," he said, "who are you?"

"We're from your Flock, Jonathan. We are your brothers." The words were strong and calm. "We've come to take you higher, to take you home...One school is finished, and the time has come for another to begin."

As it had shined across him all his life, so understanding lighted that moment for Jonathan Seagull. They were right. He could fly higher, and it was time to go home.

He gave one last look across the sky, across the magnificent silver land where he had learned so much.

"I'm ready," he said at last.

And Jonathan Livingston Seagull rose with the two star-bright gulls to disappear into a perfect dark sky.

Many blessings to you and your family. I'm sure you will find the right way to say good bye.

Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

#4 of 11 Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 PM

I'm so very sorry about your loss. I'm sure she's very honored that you're seeking such a personal way to remember her.

This is a Christian quote so ignore me if you like.

From The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis:

Quote:
"Oh, Aslan," said Lucy. "Will you tell us how to get into your country from our world?"

"I shall be telling you all the time," said Aslan. "But I will not tell you how long or short the way will be; only that it lies across a river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder."

computergeek2.gif

#5 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My favorite children's book quote is in my signature.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." ~The Hobbit

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#6 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 05:50 PM

I am sorry for your loss and I think this is such a wonderful way to honor your mother's life.

One quote has shaped my life since I heard it. It gives me the confidence to assert my opinion and stand up for what I believe in. It is from a Dr. Seuss book but I cannot recall which one.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind".

\m/

#7 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you zoo. Although I'm not Christian, she was so I am planning a Christian service, and that one sounds perfect. Keep them coming though!
#8 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 PM

"It is not often that someone comes along who is both a true friend and a good writer."

-Charlotte's Web
#9 of 11 Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM

What a great way to remember your Mother's life! I'm so sorry for your loss.

"Inside all of us is a wild thing."-Where the Wild Things Are

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” -Shel Silverstein
#10 of 11 Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM

So sorry for your loss. I think this is a wonderfull idea for a service though.

You could maybe use this quote in reference to after death (I'm not sure what your belief is or what hers was)

This is from Dr. Seuss "Oh, the places you'll go!"

"Be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!"

SAHM to my baby girl Ella (12/09) wife to the love of my life practicing/believing in
#11 of 11 Old 09-16-2009, 01:42 PM

"Everyone has bad days. Even in Australia."

Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page