Revisiting 100 Years of Solitude - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-30-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I apparently need to look at G. G. Marquez's book again since I just found a paper I wrote about it in high school where I added a handwritten note at the end about how I "quite enjoyed" the book.
#2 of 8 Old 10-01-2009, 04:28 AM

Heh. I haven't read it since a college class several years ago, but it was what decided me on a Spanish major.
#3 of 8 Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 AM

It is one of my favorite books even though I only read it once and don't remember all that much of the plot I just remember it really made an impression on me. It set me off on a GGM kick that lasted all through high school and into college. I would also recommend Love in the Time of Cholera and Of Love and Other Demons if you want something of his that's different but similar in style and atmosphere.
100 Years of Solitude is really epic in a way that his other books aren't though.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#4 of 8 Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I remember feeling as if I had endured 100 years of solitude by the time I finished it. I enjoyed Love in the Time of Cholera immensely, and some short stories too. For some reason, I never became hooked into the story in 100 Years of Solitude.

It's funny that you should mention it, because I was listening to an interview yesterday on the radio with an author who was inspired by GGM and that particular book. It almost made me think I should try to re-read it and figure out what I missed.
#5 of 8 Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM

A while back there was a thread about naming your 5 favourite books.
100 years of solitude was on my top 5 list. I have read it several times over the years and enjoyed it each time. I liked Love in the Time of Cholera just as much. I like the way Gabriel Garcia Marquez weaves real life and magic together.
#6 of 8 Old 10-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
For some reason, I never became hooked into the story in 100 Years of Solitude.
When I read it, it was at the rate of about a page a day for quite a while. Like, half the book I just forced myself to keep going and in the end it was so worth it.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#7 of 8 Old 10-02-2009, 11:15 AM

I didn't like 100 Years nearly as much as I liked Love in the Time of Cholera. That is one of the best books ever written, as far as I'm concerned.

I also liked Of Love and Other Demons, not as much as Love in the Time of Cholera, but more than 100 years.
#8 of 8 Old 10-03-2009, 01:09 AM

Oh, I love this book! I've read it 3 times - at least. He's an amazing author (obviously!). 100 years is my favorite book by him.

First special delivery - April 2010 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page