October 2009 Book Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 135 Old 10-16-2009, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kitschy Crafts: A Celebration of Overlooked 20th-century Crafts by Jo Packham

If you're looking for a book full of crafts and clear instructions on how to do them, this book is not it. However, if you want an amusing walk down memory lane, with a few crafts thrown in, then this book is it. I LOVE the old photos and ads - it was great fun to look at.

2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes

While I love the idea of making the pair all at once, I'm too in love with my dpns to give this a try. The directions seem clear enough, and the method simple enough, but I'd rather give double knitting a go.

The Palace of Illusions: A Novel (audio) by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

Wordy, so many names to try to keep track of, but interesting enough.

The 13 Clocks by James Thurber

My first ever Thurber book. Quite amusing. Over my 6 year old's head, but not for long.
#62 of 135 Old 10-16-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post
Have you read Battle Royale? Japanese book that some say was "cribbed" for Hunger Games... I haven't read it so I don't know. I thought HG was awesome & am thinking about getting the next one to read on an upcoming trip!
I definitely recommend Chasing Fire.
I haven't heard about Battle Royale. Interesting...
#63 of 135 Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 PM

I recently discovered the urban fantasy author
Charles De Lint, http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/charles-de-lint/ http://www.sfsite.com/lists/cdl.htm
I really LOVE his style. I've just read Jack of Kinrowan which has two novels Jacky the Giant Killer and Drink Down the Moon. http://www.sfsite.com/10b/jack67.htm

After that I started the Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho. He is usually one of my favourite writers but I don’t like this one as much as the Alchemist or Veronica Decides to Die. I can't tell if it is just because ever since I got into Urban Fantasy this the summer regular fiction just seems dull.

I went on to another really good De Lint book called Moonheart http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/...art-desc01.htm
Kind of a cross between Tolkien,Carlos Castaneda,and X-files with a nice romance in it as well.

In the meantime books that I ordered ages ago from the library arrived: Queen Betsy Undead and Unwed as well as a book from Laurell Hamilton. I couldn’t get into either of them. I did not get past the first few chapters and went back again to yet another Charles De Lint Book: Widdershins.
#64 of 135 Old 10-17-2009, 12:31 AM

87. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Valentina and Julia inherit their aunt's apartment by Highgate Cemetery. The twin sisters get caught up in getting to know the eccentric tenants in the building - a scholar who is writing his thesis on the cemetery and a crossword-puzzle enthusiast who suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder. AND their flat is haunted by their aunt's ghost who is fascinated with them and tries to communicate with them in many creative ways.

I loved this. I did like The Time Traveler's Wife better, but this was a very fun ghost story that hit the spot. She is such a good storyteller. There is even a little ghost kitten! Read it! Before Halloween is over!
#65 of 135 Old 10-17-2009, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post

Valentina and Julia inherit their aunt's apartment by Highgate Cemetery. The twin sisters get caught up in getting to know the eccentric tenants in the building - a scholar who is writing his thesis on the cemetery and a crossword-puzzle enthusiast who suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder. AND their flat is haunted by their aunt's ghost who is fascinated with them and tries to communicate with them in many creative ways.

I loved this. I did like The Time Traveler's Wife better, but this was a very fun ghost story that hit the spot. She is such a good storyteller. There is even a little ghost kitten! Read it! Before Halloween is over!
I'm like 1,000,000,000,000th in line on hold for this at the library. (insert angry sigh)

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#66 of 135 Old 10-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Bird in Hand by Christina Baker Kline

Two couples who are best friends and the wife from one couple is having an affair with the husband from another. Good writing -- kind of slow book but enjoyable.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney

This was not as good as the first 3 . . . it wasn't actually until about 3/4 of the way through that I thought it got really funny.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#67 of 135 Old 10-17-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I'm like 1,000,000,000,000th in line on hold for this at the library. (insert angry sigh)
I'm up to #6 in the list at my library . . . getting there slowly but surely.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#68 of 135 Old 10-17-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
I'm up to #6 in the list at my library . . . getting there slowly but surely.
I placed my hold on the 26th of september and I'm #46 -- there are 61 copies, though.... for some reason I feel nervous that I'm not going to like it... good to hear that you did.
#69 of 135 Old 10-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
I placed my hold on the 26th of september and I'm #46 -- there are 61 copies, though.... for some reason I feel nervous that I'm not going to like it... good to hear that you did.
My library ordered 20 copies and not very many people had it on hold so I got a brand new copy to read right away. I was also nervous I wasn't going to like it, but I did... I wouldn't envy any author who had to follow up TTW, though.
#70 of 135 Old 10-17-2009, 06:21 PM

#61 - Consequences by Penelope Lively

A multi-generational story of three generations of women, beginning with Lorna in the 1930s, who leaves behind her stifling upper middle-class London existence to marry artist Matt Faraday and move to a small, rough cottage in Somerset - until the Second World War intervenes in their idyllic existence. Lively then moves on to the lives of Lorna's daughter, Molly, and granddaughter, Ruth.

I really liked this one. Parts of it felt a bit slight, because it's only about 300 pages, yet mult-generational, but everyone's writing such massive tomes for no reason lately that I enjoyed Lively's economical approach to writing. It's not a flashy book, but I also enjoyed the themes she explores - is life a matter of negotiation, or of chance? Finally, it was nice to read something that's unabashedly romantic and intelligently written, about fundamentally nice, good people.

FYI, the dust cover and most reviews contain far too many spoilers. Boo!
#71 of 135 Old 10-17-2009, 10:11 PM

#76 Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal by Julie Metz
A reviewer on GoodReads put it, "This book sounded interesting to me: the memoir of a woman who discovers her husband has a secret life... after he drops dead on their kitchen floor. I wanted to learn about his secrets and kept turning the pages until Metz uncovered them for me. But after that, I didn't really feel like I cared enough about Metz to keep reading," and that's how I felt too.

#77 Cartwheels in a Sari: A Memoir of Growing Up Cult by Jayanti Tamm
This was a bookclub book for me, and it was mildly enjoyable. I feel like the author merely skimmed the surface of her life, and it was hard to feel connected. And, as I was reading, I really wanted to know more about her mother's and father's decisions to stay with the cult.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#72 of 135 Old 10-18-2009, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

#60 Doctor Who: Forever Autumn (Audio)
by Mark Morris
read by Will Thorp

My review can be found HERE

#1 The King in Yellow, #2 Ghost Story, #3 Twilight (Audio), #4 Nice Work, #5 The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged, #6 Collected Poems 1909-1962 (T.S. Eliot), #7 New Moon (Audio), #8 Selected Poems (William Carlos Williams), #9 The Pearl, #10 The Blackwater Lightship, #11 100 Selected Poems (e.e. cummings), #12 The Grapes of Wrath, #13 Eclipse (Audio), #14 A Bit on the Side, #15 East of Eden, #16 As I Lay Dying: Redux, #17 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance—Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!, #18 Breaking Dawn (Audio), #19 A Streetcar Named Desire: 25th Anniversary Edition, #20 The Short Stories: The First Forty-Nine Stories with a Brief Preface by the Author, #21 New British Poetry, #22 Brick Lane, #23 Maps for Lost Lovers, #24 The Silence of the Lambs (Audio): Redux, #25 Pride and Prejudice, #26 Poe: A Life Cut Short, #27 Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures, #28 The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obession in the Amazon (Audio), #29 Her Story: A Timeline of the Women Who Changed America, #30 The Bloody White Baron: The Extraordinary Story of the Russian Nobleman Who Became the Last Khan of Russia, #31 Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible (Audio), #32 The Composer is Dead, #33 Shakespeare's Kitchen: Renaissance Recipes for the Contemporary Cook, #34 Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned: Stories, #35 The Ayatollah Begs to Differ: The Paradox of Modern Iran, #36 The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science: 64 Daring Experiments for Young Scientists, #37 The Road, #38 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, #39 How to Draw Washington's Sights and Symbols, #40 My Hippie Grandmother, #41 Alfred Hitchcock Presents 12 Stories They Wouldn't Let Me Do On TV, #42 My Favorite Horror Story, #43 Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America, #44 The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, #45 Dead Until Dark, #46 Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils, #47 'salem's Lot (Audio): Redux, #48 How to Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion (Audio), #49 Darwinia: A Novel of a very Different Twentieth Century, #50 Why Did It Have to be Snakes?: From Science to the Supernatural, the Many Mysteries of Indiana Jones, #51 Road Rage: Two Novellas (Audio), #52 The Science of Stephen King: From Carrie to Cell, the Terrifying Truth Behind the Horror Master's Fiction, #53 Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island (Audio), #54 Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, #55 Dragons of the Hourglass Mage, #56 Doctor Who: Pest Control, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #57 The Hunger and Other Stories: A Collection of Violent Entertainments, #58 The Spellman Files, #59 All the King's Men (Audio), #60 Doctor Who: Forever Autumn (Audio)

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#73 of 135 Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 AM

Seven Types of Ambiguity, Perlman

Quote:
this second novel by Perlman, an Australian writer, presents seven first-person narrators—whose lives are all nudged off course by a man's abduction of his ex-girlfriend's young son—in a compulsively readable tangle. At the center is a psychiatrist who treats several of the characters, and whose narrative provides some basis for assessing the partial perspectives of the six others. The abductor's self-justifying rants about truth, literature, and poststructuralist theory win over his shrink and, it seems, everyone else.
I kept getting intimidated by this book sitting in my TBR pile, because it's so long and looks so intimidating. It is long, but is still quite a readable book. The book follows seven narrators, all of whose lives are changed dramatically when a man abducts the son of his former girlfriend. Interesting to see the different perspectives and how things change depending on point of view.
#74 of 135 Old 10-18-2009, 10:50 AM

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

An orphaned boy living with a crazy old soldier visits a fortuneteller and finds out the sister he thought was dead lives. To find her he must "follow the elephant." But who ever heard of an elephant in the dreary cold of Baltese. But then a magician, in an unprecedented feat of magic, conjures an elephant that comes crashing through the opera house roof.

This was a beautiful story--dark but hopeful, poetic but very readable. DeCamillo is such a great writer. I highly recommend this story --- it would be a great read aloud.

#75 of 135 Old 10-18-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:

An orphaned boy living with a crazy old soldier visits a fortuneteller and finds out the sister he thought was dead lives. To find her he must "follow the elephant." But who ever heard of an elephant in the dreary cold of Baltese. But then a magician, in an unprecedented feat of magic, conjures an elephant that comes crashing through the opera house roof.

This was a beautiful story--dark but hopeful, poetic but very readable. DeCamillo is such a great writer. I highly recommend this story --- it would be a great read aloud.
I have this one on hold. Can't wait to read it!
#76 of 135 Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:

For what age would you say?
#77 of 135 Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
For what age would you say?
For kids to read themselves, I'd say 4th - 8th (and up). For read aloud, you could go younger . . . maybe 7 years old and up, depending on the attention span of the kid. It's kind of old fashioned language . . . really beautiful though.

#78 of 135 Old 10-19-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

#61 The Peshawar Lancers
by S.M. Stirling

My review can be found HERE

#1 The King in Yellow, #2 Ghost Story, #3 Twilight (Audio), #4 Nice Work, #5 The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged, #6 Collected Poems 1909-1962 (T.S. Eliot), #7 New Moon (Audio), #8 Selected Poems (William Carlos Williams), #9 The Pearl, #10 The Blackwater Lightship, #11 100 Selected Poems (e.e. cummings), #12 The Grapes of Wrath, #13 Eclipse (Audio), #14 A Bit on the Side, #15 East of Eden, #16 As I Lay Dying: Redux, #17 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance—Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!, #18 Breaking Dawn (Audio), #19 A Streetcar Named Desire: 25th Anniversary Edition, #20 The Short Stories: The First Forty-Nine Stories with a Brief Preface by the Author, #21 New British Poetry, #22 Brick Lane, #23 Maps for Lost Lovers, #24 The Silence of the Lambs (Audio): Redux, #25 Pride and Prejudice, #26 Poe: A Life Cut Short, #27 Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures, #28 The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obession in the Amazon (Audio), #29 Her Story: A Timeline of the Women Who Changed America, #30 The Bloody White Baron: The Extraordinary Story of the Russian Nobleman Who Became the Last Khan of Russia, #31 Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible (Audio), #32 The Composer is Dead, #33 Shakespeare's Kitchen: Renaissance Recipes for the Contemporary Cook, #34 Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned: Stories, #35 The Ayatollah Begs to Differ: The Paradox of Modern Iran, #36 The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science: 64 Daring Experiments for Young Scientists, #37 The Road, #38 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, #39 How to Draw Washington's Sights and Symbols, #40 My Hippie Grandmother, #41 Alfred Hitchcock Presents 12 Stories They Wouldn't Let Me Do On TV, #42 My Favorite Horror Story, #43 Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America, #44 The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, #45 Dead Until Dark, #46 Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils, #47 'salem's Lot (Audio): Redux, #48 How to Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion (Audio), #49 Darwinia: A Novel of a very Different Twentieth Century, #50 Why Did It Have to be Snakes?: From Science to the Supernatural, the Many Mysteries of Indiana Jones, #51 Road Rage: Two Novellas (Audio), #52 The Science of Stephen King: From Carrie to Cell, the Terrifying Truth Behind the Horror Master's Fiction, #53 Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island (Audio), #54 Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, #55 Dragons of the Hourglass Mage, #56 Doctor Who: Pest Control, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #57 The Hunger and Other Stories: A Collection of Violent Entertainments, #58 The Spellman Files, #59 All the King's Men (Audio), #60 Doctor Who: Forever Autumn (Audio), #61 The Peshawar Lancers

#79 of 135 Old 10-19-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Oh that looks like fun! I didn't even realize she had a new book!

Quote:
I can relate! : That's the problem with living in a well-read area. Lines for new books are ALWAYS huge in Seattle, I'm sure it's similar in Bellingham.

Quote:
My library ordered 20 copies and not very many people had it on hold so I got a brand new copy to read right away. I was also nervous I wasn't going to like it, but I did... I wouldn't envy any author who had to follow up TTW, though.
Yeah, no kidding! TTW was her first book right? I always think it must be hard to follow up a first novel that was a smashing success. Strangely, a lot of people in my book club did not like this book. Too science fiction-y or something. Can't remember exactly what they didn't like.

Quote:

Oh that sounds cool! I loved her book Despereaux the mouse, at least what little I read to dd. She just turned 5 though, so had a hard time staying engaged, the writing was a tad advanced to keep her attention. I'll save these ones for later I guess

Just about done with Chocolat, which is lovely. And also have a few non-fiction books I need to flip through before returning them to the library. Fun fun.
#80 of 135 Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
I can relate! : That's the problem with living in a well-read area. Lines for new books are ALWAYS huge in Seattle, I'm sure it's similar in Bellingham.
Being familiar with the SPL, I can say that it is actually worse in Bellingham, because there are only +/-10 libraries to draw from across Whatcom County instead of the 30+ just in the city of Seattle, not to mention the King County Library System ... so, Seattle is actually a little better than Bellingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
Yeah, no kidding! TTW was her first book right? I always think it must be hard to follow up a first novel that was a smashing success.
That's probably why Harper Lee never tried it.

#81 of 135 Old 10-19-2009, 09:53 PM

Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz

What can I say more than this: I love these books!

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#82 of 135 Old 10-20-2009, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post

This is the second one, right?

#83 of 135 Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 AM

Edgar Allen Poe Audio Collection

Quote:
The pieces illustrate several themes for which Poe was well known. For example, he felt that the death of a beautiful woman was the most poetical topic in the world. "The Raven," which made him famous, shows the incantatory or hypnotic quality of his rhythm, especially with Basil Rathbone's reading. Other horror tales included are "The Pit and the Pendulum," "The Black Cat," and "The Fall of the House of Usher." The people in his novels often die and then mysteriously return to life, usually after they have been entombed. In "The Imp of the Perverse," Poe expounds on his theory of humanity that we often do something simply because we should not. The literary world is grateful for his unique vision.
I expected to like this more than I did. I thought many of the stories chosen were similar and then were read by the same reader, so I started getting tired of stories of people being buried alive. However, it's worth a listen if for nothing else than the reading of "The Bells."
#84 of 135 Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
For kids to read themselves, I'd say 4th - 8th (and up). For read aloud, you could go younger . . . maybe 7 years old and up, depending on the attention span of the kid. It's kind of old fashioned language . . . really beautiful though.
We'll have to give it a try. My kids are 4 and 6, but we are reading "The Hundred Dresses" right now, which is a little challenging for them, but they are enjoying it and my 6 year old is especially getting a lot from it. Good old-fashioned anti-bullying book.
#85 of 135 Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:

#1 in the holds list for this one!
#86 of 135 Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
This is the second one, right?
Yes. I was feeling lazy when I posted my "review".

(1-04) (8-09)
#87 of 135 Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post
I expected to like this more than I did. I thought many of the stories chosen were similar and then were read by the same reader, so I started getting tired of stories of people being buried alive. However, it's worth a listen if for nothing else than the reading of "The Bells."
I LOVE The Bells! One of my favorites!
#88 of 135 Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Being familiar with the SPL, I can say that it is actually worse in Bellingham, because there are only +/-10 libraries to draw from across Whatcom County instead of the 30+ just in the city of Seattle, not to mention the King County Library System ... so, Seattle is actually a little better than Bellingham

That's probably why Harper Lee never tried it.
I didn't think about that with Bellingham!

And yeah, no kidding on the Harper Lee thing. tough book to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post

Can't wait to check these out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendtoall View Post
We'll have to give it a try. My kids are 4 and 6, but we are reading "The Hundred Dresses" right now, which is a little challenging for them, but they are enjoying it and my 6 year old is especially getting a lot from it. Good old-fashioned anti-bullying book.
I put this on my list. Sounds good!

#73 Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Oh, I just love a good Joanne Harris book. I think we probably all know the synopsis of this one, since it's also a movie. Big thumbs up

#74 Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

Interesting, same viewpoint as the Real Food books. Some of it was a bit too radical for my tastes, but I like the idea of going back to pre-industrialized types of foods, whole fresh foods, not manufactured boxed fast foods. It makes sense. I might try and buy this book for the recipes.
#89 of 135 Old 10-20-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post

I'll grant you that the stories are very similar (looking back on it) but still ... you gotta love a Poe collection read by Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price. That's gotta count for something!

#90 of 135 Old 10-20-2009, 10:01 PM

Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky

Quote:
Dana Clarke has always longed for the stability of home and family—her own childhood was not an easy one. Now she has married a man she adores who is from a prominent New England family, and she is about to give birth to their first child. But what should be the happiest day of her life becomes the day her world falls apart. Her daughter is born beautiful and healthy, but no one can help noticing the African American traits in her appearance. Dana’s husband, to her great shock and dismay, begins to worry that people will think Dana has had an affair.

The only way to repair the damage done is for Dana to track down the father she never knew and to explore the possibility of African American lineage in his family history. Dana’s determination to discover the truth becomes a poignant journey back through her past and her husband’s heritage that unearths secrets rooted in prejudice and fear.
Fairly predictable right at the beginning. I felt like some issues were opened up (Dana's father) and not really explored as well as it could have been. Not a bad book but not the thought-provoking one it was touted as being.

(1-04) (8-09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page