November 2009 Book Challenge - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2009, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
Yeah, the night after my coworker recommended the book, she texted me and goes, "It's on the Disney channel right now!"
I thought so!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 PM

#79 Circle Round-Raising children in Goddess Traditions by Starhawk, Diane Baker, and Anne Hill

I enjoyed reading through this book. Some of it was a little earnest for me, but I definitely want to incorporate more appreciate for the seasons and the earth into our lives, so this is a nice introduction.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:15 PM

#125 Wings of Fire by Charles Todd
The second in the Ian Rutledge mystery series. I stopped in the middle to read some other library books that were due sooner and it took me a while (and some re-reading) to catch up with the plot again. I'm interested to see what the next one is like. Set in England soon after WWI

#127 Forest Born by Shannon Hale
the fourth in the Books of Bayern series. (Goose Girl is the first.) Good stuff.

#128 The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill
First in another mystery series The ending definitely took me by surprise. Again, set in England, but more or less current day.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:13 PM

Stop and Smell the Rosemary

Emeril's TV Dinners

I just inhereited a slew of cookbooks and may be obsessed for a week or so...promise to get back to something someone else might want to read soon .
Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 AM

102. The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

103. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

I picked up this book for my brother for Christmas and couldn't help peeking... and then (gently) reading the whole thing.

I was intrigued by the slang used in the book. A lot of the words are Russian or just made-up words. It's all pretty easy to understand from the context, and by the end of the book I was fluent and it all flowed together.

Here's the narrator listening to classical music.

"Then, brothers, it came. Oh, bliss, bliss and heaven. I lay all nagoy to the ceiling, my gulliver on my rookers on the pillow, glazzies closed, rot open in bliss, slooshying the sluice of lovely sounds. Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh. The trombones crunched redgold under my bed, and behind my gulliver the trumpets three-wise silverflamed, and there by the door the timps rolling through my guts and out again crunched like candy thunder. Oh, it was wonder of wonders..."

(gulliver = head, rookers = hands, glazzies = eyes, rot = mouth)

Make sure if you get it, to read the edition with all 21 chapters. The American edition originally left out the last chapter and it ends on a bad note that way.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
103. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

I picked up this book for my brother for Christmas and couldn't help peeking... and then (gently) reading the whole thing.

I was intrigued by the slang used in the book. A lot of the words are Russian or just made-up words. It's all pretty easy to understand from the context, and by the end of the book I was fluent and it all flowed together.

Here's the narrator listening to classical music.

"Then, brothers, it came. Oh, bliss, bliss and heaven. I lay all nagoy to the ceiling, my gulliver on my rookers on the pillow, glazzies closed, rot open in bliss, slooshying the sluice of lovely sounds. Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh. The trombones crunched redgold under my bed, and behind my gulliver the trumpets three-wise silverflamed, and there by the door the timps rolling through my guts and out again crunched like candy thunder. Oh, it was wonder of wonders..."

(gulliver = head, rookers = hands, glazzies = eyes, rot = mouth)

Make sure if you get it, to read the edition with all 21 chapters. The American edition originally left out the last chapter and it ends on a bad note that way.
I love this book. I first read it waaaaaaaaay back in high school. Perhaps it is high time I picked it back up again.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 AM

#71 - The Birth House by Ami McKay
Novel set in rural Nova Scotia during the First World War, about a young woman who essentially apprentices with the elderly Acadian local midwife. The author folds in a lot, about the increasing medicalization of childbirth, the war, the Halifax Explosion, domestic violence, alternative medicine. Some of it was a bit corny/quaint and kind of 1970s feminist, but overall I liked it and found it a good read.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:24 PM

I can't remember what I have posted and what I haven't posted lately.

Queene of Light by Jennifer Armintrout (Okay, not my favorite read.)
Ground Up by Michael Idov (Did not like!)
Revenge of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz (Loved, of course!)

Listened to:
Little House in the Big Woods
Little House on the Prairie
Laura Ingalls Wilder read by Cherry Jones
(Don't like the slightly southern accent Jones gives to the characters - it throws off the books for me.)

Read to DS:
The Name of This Book is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 11-30-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

#68 Rose Madder
by Stephen King

My review can be found HERE

#1 The King in Yellow, #2 Ghost Story, #3 Twilight (Audio), #4 Nice Work, #5 The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged, #6 Collected Poems 1909-1962 (T.S. Eliot), #7 New Moon (Audio), #8 Selected Poems (William Carlos Williams), #9 The Pearl, #10 The Blackwater Lightship, #11 100 Selected Poems (e.e. cummings), #12 The Grapes of Wrath, #13 Eclipse (Audio), #14 A Bit on the Side, #15 East of Eden, #16 As I Lay Dying: Redux, #17 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance—Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!, #18 Breaking Dawn (Audio), #19 A Streetcar Named Desire: 25th Anniversary Edition, #20 The Short Stories: The First Forty-Nine Stories with a Brief Preface by the Author, #21 New British Poetry, #22 Brick Lane, #23 Maps for Lost Lovers, #24 The Silence of the Lambs (Audio): Redux, #25 Pride and Prejudice, #26 Poe: A Life Cut Short, #27 Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures, #28 The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obession in the Amazon (Audio), #29 Her Story: A Timeline of the Women Who Changed America, #30 The Bloody White Baron: The Extraordinary Story of the Russian Nobleman Who Became the Last Khan of Russia, #31 Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible (Audio), #32 The Composer is Dead, #33 Shakespeare's Kitchen: Renaissance Recipes for the Contemporary Cook, #34 Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned: Stories, #35 The Ayatollah Begs to Differ: The Paradox of Modern Iran, #36 The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science: 64 Daring Experiments for Young Scientists, #37 The Road, #38 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, #39 How to Draw Washington's Sights and Symbols, #40 My Hippie Grandmother, #41 Alfred Hitchcock Presents 12 Stories They Wouldn't Let Me Do On TV, #42 My Favorite Horror Story, #43 Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America, #44 The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, #45 Dead Until Dark, #46 Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils, #47 'salem's Lot (Audio): Redux, #48 How to Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion (Audio), #49 Darwinia: A Novel of a very Different Twentieth Century, #50 Why Did It Have to be Snakes?: From Science to the Supernatural, the Many Mysteries of Indiana Jones, #51 Road Rage: Two Novellas (Audio), #52 The Science of Stephen King: From Carrie to Cell, the Terrifying Truth Behind the Horror Master's Fiction, #53 Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island (Audio), #54 Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, #55 Dragons of the Hourglass Mage, #56 Doctor Who: Pest Control, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #57 The Hunger and Other Stories: A Collection of Violent Entertainments, #58 The Spellman Files, #59 All the King's Men (Audio), #60 Doctor Who: Forever Autumn (Audio), #61 The Peshawar Lancers, #62 Doctor Who: The Nemonite Invasion, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #63 An Exaltation of Larks: The Ultimate Edition, More Than 1,000 Terms, #64 Star Wars: Death Troopers, #65 The Last Town on Earth (Audio), #66 The Lost Symbol, #67 Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned (Audio), #68 Rose Madder

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Old 11-30-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
#68 Rose Madder
by Stephen King

My review can be found HERE
Have you read Under the Dome yet? One of my coworkers is reading it and she wants me to read it next. I told her that I get to pick a book for her then - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (she claims she doesn't like Harry Potter even though she hasn't so much as glanced at the books). I think we will have another HP convert entering the fold soon. Anyways... 104. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone... I just had to reread it in case she has any questions.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you read Under the Dome yet? One of my coworkers is reading it and she wants me to read it next. I told her that I get to pick a book for her then - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (she claims she doesn't like Harry Potter even though she hasn't so much as glanced at the books). I think we will have another HP convert entering the fold soon. Anyways... 104. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone... I just had to reread it in case she has any questions.
I haven't yet. I had it from the library like a day or two after it was released, but I was just too pressed from school, so I had to return it. My Mom is getting it for me for Christmas, though, so I think I'm going to spend my break between quarters reading it.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:34 PM

Just finished "The Last Town on Earth"~by Thomas Mullen. I really enjoyed it. I believe there is already a review on this thread by someone since that is where I got the title to add to my list.

Also read "The Flying Troutmans" ~by Miriam Toews which is our December book for my book club forum. It was a good book. Here is the review on Amazon.

A road novel helped along by a lovably nutty cast, Toews's latest (after A Complicated Kindness) follows a ragtag crew as they crisscross America. Hattie, recently dumped in Paris by her moody, adjective-hating boyfriend, returns home to Canada after receiving an emergency phone call from her niece. Turns out, Hattie's sister, Min, is back in the psych ward, and her kids, 11-year-old Thebes and 15-year-old Logan, are fending for themselves. Thus the quirky trio—purple-haired, wise-beyond-her-years Thebes, recently expelled brother Logan and overwhelmed Hattie—embark on a road trip to the States to find the kids' long-missing father. What follows is a Little Miss Sunshine–like quest in which the characters learn about themselves and each other as they weather car repairs, sleazy motel rooms and encounters with bizarre people. Toews's gift for writing precocious children and the story's antic momentum redeem the familiar set-up, and if the ending feels a bit rushed, it's largely because it's tough to let Toews's characters go.

I am currently working on "The Great Influenza: The story of the deadliest pandemic in history"~by John M. Barry. Only about 1/3 into it. Has a lot of information on the formation of medical schools in the US and a lot of background on the individuals who were involved in attempting to stop the spread of the disease. Also talks about Wilson and the war propaganda being spread at the time. It also includes a lot of information on virus, bacteria, and the immune system.

Adrienne~SAHM to DS1~9, DS2~7, and DD1~4/08, partner in crime to DH since 98~
Old 11-30-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedqueen123 View Post
I am currently working on "The Great Influenza: The story of the deadliest pandemic in history"~by John M. Barry. Only about 1/3 into it. Has a lot of information on the formation of medical schools in the US and a lot of background on the individuals who were involved in attempting to stop the spread of the disease. Also talks about Wilson and the war propaganda being spread at the time. It also includes a lot of information on virus, bacteria, and the immune system.
After listening to Last Town, and as soon as I finish Dan Simmons' The Terror, Influenza is the next book on my TBLT (to be listened to) List, because Mullen's novel was so compelling that I want to know more about that period.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM

#80 Sara Book 1, by Esther and Jerry Hicks

I liked this book. It was a really easy to understand explanation of the law of attraction. It's presented in sort of a story book novel format, which makes it really easy to read. Good for an introduction to the concept.

#81 Under Deadman's Skin; Discovering the Meaning of Children's Violent Play by Vivian Gussin Paley

I like Paley and Katch's books about the preschool aged child and how they relate to each other. Paley's approach in the classroom is very even handed and empathetic. They have a very readable way of examining the issue at hand. I appreciated her analysis of violent dramatic play for young kids.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Here's December's Thread: http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...php?p=14741211

Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 PM

#129 That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo

by the author of Empire Falls.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post