Squeaky-clean, absolutely inoffensive movies for 10-12-year-old girls? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even pluggedin gave the Kiery Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice a decent review. It's not babyish at all and the girls would probably see it as very grown-up. Good luck searching! It can be tough!

ETA: What about Newsies? It's a musical from the mid-90's, I can't remember any questionable content. Maybe violence. Hm. maybe not.

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
#62 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Ratatouille is the only Pixar film I will not let my sons watch yet, due to a very brief scene in which we see a tangential lovers' spat that involves a couple yelling at each other,and one partner pointing a gun at the other! then a moment later they've made up and all is well. When I saw that I was like, WTH?!??!!?

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#63 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Good point. I see it as a good tense/violent situation, though, because she is empowered and saves herself, so, wholesome role modeling for girls.
Yeah, that's why I like it so much too. It's one of the few movies where the girl rescues herself. I just don't think it would pass the "no violence" standard that the OP is looking for.

I honestly think nature documentaries may be the way to go. Many history documentaries would probably fail - too much violence.
#64 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 05:52 PM

I didn't see these listed and its been ages since I've watched them so I could be off-base but what about the Shirley Temple Movies?

My step-dad gave me the complete set(15?) for Christmas last year because he thought DD and I might like to watch them together as she gets older. But we haven't done them yet and I'm uncertain of their appropriateness.

How about Music Man? Carousel? State Fair? Meet Me in St. Louis? Too romantic?

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is sweet but the whole pregnancy issue might be too mature for your assignment.

And I the American Girls movies. I'm such a tween!

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#65 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

I love Meet me in St Louis! I don't think the romance would be a problem, but the Halloween thing might. Seven Brides is probably a bit risque. Hmm... it occurs to me I've never seen The Music Man! Or the American Girls movies (are they related to the American Girls books, the historical ones with Samantha and Felicity and Addy? We had those as younguns.). Shirley Temple could work, if you think they'd be interesting to 12-year-olds; any thoughts?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#66 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
Oh, in the same spirit as Cirque du Soleil, how about the ABT production of The Nutcracker, with Mikhail Barishnikov and Gelsey Kirkland? STUNNING dancing, no dialogue and hence no dirty words, seasonally appropriate. The only thing even the most dedicated prude could possibly object to is Barishnikov's tights ... and the word "Nut" in the title ...
...and the witchcraft used to turn the title character from a doll into a person.

Carousel is weird and creepy and not a good message for tween girls! Even though I love it.
#67 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 07:04 PM

i went through a shirley temple phase. i remember them being clean.. probably some smoking and drinking in the background though.
I used to love the adventures af natty gann. and the pippi longstockings movies. but i cant for the life of me remember how clean they were.
what about the flight of the navigator or mac and me- do aliens count as magic??

rookie of the year? angels in the outfield? the sandlot? (i think I do remember a kiss in the sandlot.. )

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#68 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPie View Post
A bound human about to be devoured by rats while an ampitheater full of rats looks on and cheers didn't bother you? Seriously, that movie was both boring and horrifying to me. An odd combination

My mom let my dd watch that, I didn't actually watch it.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#69 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I loved Newsies!!! But it might turn them into communists.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#70 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I loved Newsies!!! But it might turn them into communists.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#71 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
The Anne of Green Gables movies - I think they are Canadian? It's a long set of movies, and unless they object to orphans for some reason, there is really nothing in the movies which could be remotely offensive.
This.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#72 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Ratatouille is the only Pixar film I will not let my sons watch yet, due to a very brief scene in which we see a tangential lovers' spat that involves a couple yelling at each other,and one partner pointing a gun at the other! then a moment later they've made up and all is well. When I saw that I was like, WTH?!??!!?
Wow...I've watched this movie multiple times and had never noticed this!
I'm alway busy watching the rats.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#73 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 09:03 PM

what about harriet the spy or the new nancy drew

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#74 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 PM

the transformation in the Nutcracker isn't witchcraft! It's A) the magic of Christmas or B) all a dream, depending on how much of a killjoy you are.
#75 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 09:18 PM

The most recent "Ballet Shoes" didn't suck. (the older version is equally inoffensive, except it left out all the best bits!)

"Railway Children" based on the book by E. Nesbit.
#76 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
i was going to suggest Daddy Day Care - but pluggedin.com said this about it:

under Other Negeative Elements:
Marvin credits the liberal tome Dr. Spock’s Baby and Child Care for giving him insight into children.

:
O.M.G.

Someone offended with that, I'd want them to keep their kid out of my house. I can just see them having conniptions because their child came home talking about seeing the title "A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" (and I'd hope to goodness it'd be the "Birth" part that freaked them and not the "thinking woman" part._
#77 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post

Carousel is weird and creepy and not a good message for tween girls! Even though I love it.
Is it? Why don't I remember that...

Oh Natty Gan! I adored that when I was younger!

And while I'm mentioning musicals what about Oklahoma, Calamity Jane(this might have innuendos...can't remember), Bye, Bye Birdie, My Fair Lady and Brigadoon.

I lived for musicals when I was that age!

Also, Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang might potentially be OK. The car floats but its not magic.

Annie?

The Three Lives of Thomasina? Although at first they consider the grown woman lead a witch (and change their minds later) so that might be questionable by the standards you need.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#78 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 09:48 PM

Carousel is basically all about an abusive relationship. Some fun songs, but it's definitely dark.

Bye Bye Birdie-- also fun, but a lot of sex. 50's sex, but still... They also talk about smoking reefer.

Annie has drinking, sexual allusions, and orphan abuse. I'm OK with it, but the OPs audience might not be.

The new Nancy Drew has ghosty supernatural stuff.

5 Children and It? It has magical stuff but not witchcraft.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#79 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I second Little Women, the newest one. Wonderful!

Quote:
I think that's supposed to demonstrate typical French passion, swinging from one end of the spectrum to the other in seconds flat. (Suppose that doesn't make it alright, but it's an explanation).

The Kiera Knightly Pride and Prejudice has a moment where she's pointedly admiring (awestruck, really) some sculptings of muscly nekkid men. My 12 y.o. dd noticed enough to be a little embarrassed. But, then, 12 y.o. girls are the world's most embarrassed people on the face of the earth.

Edited to add, about the Black Beauty movie from a few years ago, we talked about it over on the sad-movies-thread. I was on the verge of tears through out the movie, and people are horrible to horses. But then, I might not have been traumatized by it when I was 12! That seems to be one of those themes you can handle 'before children' and not so much 'after children'.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#80 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 01:31 AM

I liked The Lizzie McGuire movie. There is a very chaste kiss between two pre-teens but that's about it for sex. There is some blasphemy and sass though. plugged in review for LMcGM
#81 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
the transformation in the Nutcracker isn't witchcraft! It's A) the magic of Christmas or B) all a dream, depending on how much of a killjoy you are.
OK, I haven't seen that particular version. Most of the productions I've seen have the uncle do some kind of spell to cause the transformation, and the spell may or may not be part of a dream.
#82 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Edited to add, about the Black Beauty movie from a few years ago, we talked about it over on the sad-movies-thread. I was on the verge of tears through out the movie, and people are horrible to horses. But then, I might not have been traumatized by it when I was 12! That seems to be one of those themes you can handle 'before children' and not so much 'after children'.
The book was very upsetting to me at 12. If they showed the horribleness, the movie would've been upsetting too.

Anyone know if National Velvet would fit the criteria?
#83 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
5 Children and It? It has magical stuff but not witchcraft.
That's a movie? ooooooooooo
#84 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
Haven't seen it since I was a kid, but what about National Velvet?

It's a bit lame, but there's a new version of Ballet Shoes (based on the Noel Streatfeild novel). It's totally inoffensive, that I can think of, and it does focus on girls of around that age, which is a bonus.
I apparently had no new ideas.

We've been discussing The Nutcracker, but how about other ballets? Like, um....welll Swan Lake has magic, Pygmalion too. Drat. Nevermind.
#85 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
That's a movie? ooooooooooo
It's a really fun movie with Freddie Highmore.

If nothing else, we all are getting some good movie recs.

#86 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Picky parents tend to give ballets a pass, for some reason. I guess because it's Culture. Also, Shakespeare -- presumably because they haven't read him!
#87 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 03:08 PM

This thread is bringing back some great memories!

I, too LOVED Wild Hearts Can't be Broken at that age. Doesn't a horse get hurt though?

Also loved musicals: Bye, Bye Birdie, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (although the mass kidnapping scene probably makes that one highly inappropriate).

Lately around here we have been watching my favorite Christmas movie Prancer. The only bad things I can think of are the girl's dad is kind of mean (makes for a great pay-off in the end though), you see a fairly graphic shot of a bullet wound in a reindeer's leg, and there is some religious elements (two girls have an argument about whether heaven is real and there is a scene of a church service), and a girl falls out of a tree....hmm, probably not appropriate! It's so magical though, I love it!

ETA: This also reminds of all the inappropriate movies we were shown in school. I remember watching A Christmas Story in 4th grade (had already seen it at home), the Twilight Zone movie with the scary thing on the wing of the plane in 7th grade (scarred for life), and I also just learned my parents took me with them to the theater to see Romancing the Stone when I was 3!!!
#88 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 PM

I watch a lot of Bollywood movies with my daughter, but I can't think of one offhand that would be completely unobjectionable -- especially if, like the Plugged-In reviewers, they are offended by any presence of non-Christian religious beliefs. Plus, there is never any actual sex (very conservative cultural values) but you do see many, many belly buttons.
#89 of 124 Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Picky parents tend to give ballets a pass, for some reason. I guess because it's Culture. Also, Shakespeare -- presumably because they haven't read him!
So true! Yes, I suspect the Nutcracker would be OK. Kind of December-specific, but that's fine...

I think I have a list long enough for my article now; I'll let you all know the final tally so you can say "No wait, I just remembered that one has guns in it!" and make me start again.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#90 of 124 Old 11-13-2009, 01:50 AM

I just had to make a note of the fact that I had never heard of plugged in before. Since I saw it mentioned here, I had to go check out some of the recent movies we had watched. According to these people, I may have damaged my kids for life. They found things that flew over my head, and I'm 35!

Learning that crunchy is a whole different ball of wax with my big kids, Trace 11, Zane 10, and Saxton 7

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page