Squeaky-clean, absolutely inoffensive movies for 10-12-year-old girls? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hope this thread is allowed... I blogged about my dilemma here and was wondering if any of you lot have any ideas.

Basically, I'm writing an article about very inoffensive movies for preteen girls. The kind you could show at a sleepover without inciting the wrath of any parent for introducing her child to profanity, scariness, the portrayal of hard drugs, witchcraft or anything otherwise controversial. And I'm having a hard time coming up with anything. Even a movie like The Princess Bride, which most parents presumably wouldn't object to, has a swear word and a fair amount of violence. (OK, and a torture scene. And death. Oh, and another swear word. I forgot about that one.)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#2 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, maybe a little old fashioned, but I loved Pollyanna, The Parent Trap, and a cute one with Kurt Russell , The Computer who wore Tennis Shoes, oh and That Darn Cat, and Herbie the Love Bug. All are good family fun, no cursing, rated G.
#3 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 AM

The Secret Garden?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#4 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

I dunno; what are the odds someone would object to the "magic" scene with the chanting and fire in The Secret Garden?

#5 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 01:52 AM

I was thinking about that just now.

#6 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ella Enchanted? The Princess Diaries?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 01:59 AM

Sound of Music?

Swiss Family Robinson?

#8 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:00 AM

I agree with the newer version of the Parent Trap, Ella Enchanted, and the Princess Diaries movies. Also Freaky Friday (again the newer version). Although Ella Enchanted has that one scary scene where she is forced to try to kill the prince.

I'd go with the newer Parent Trap or Princess Diaries. Cheaper by the Dozen (again newer - or isn't there an old version? I'm talking about the one with Steve Martin and Ashton Kutcher) is good, but the parents heavily flirt with each other. They are married for crying out loud, but you said squeaky clean...

I love Shrek or Shark Tales for cartoons. Depends on what 10-12 year olds.
#9 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:03 AM

The new version of Cheaper by the Dozen is not squeaky clean.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:03 AM

Nim's Island?

#11 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:04 AM

Nanny MacPhee
Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium (or whatever it's called)

#12 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:06 AM

Nanny Macphee is magicy too.

#13 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:07 AM

I was wondering if all magic was out or just explicit witchcraft.

#14 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 AM

See now that is what confused me, would talking animals count as magic?

I remember at the Camp Fire lock in we all watched the Seven Voyages of Sinbad!!!

#15 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:10 AM

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

#16 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:12 AM

The Water Horse
Kit Kittridge (any of the American Girl movies, really, but this is the only one that doesn't suck eggs)

#17 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:14 AM

You probably already know this, but pluggedin.com takes these movies apart and finds absolutely anything and everything that could possibly be considered offensive. I mean, ridiculously so, to the point where I often find myself thinking, "Man, you people have dirty minds because I never in a million years would have thought that was offensive".

#18 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:33 AM

My daughter saw Dreamer last week and loved it. Dakota Fanning. A horse story. Based on a true story, I think. Oh, but it's about horse racing. Gambling would probably rule this one out. Dang! You have a tough assignment.
#19 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 AM

The Tale of Despereaux

There is that Ice Princess movie, not brilliant film making but I don't recall anything offensive.

#20 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 AM

I haven't seen all of these, so I don't know quite how "squeaky clean" they are, but ...

The American Girl movies?
Akeela and the Bee?
Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken?
Little Women (the original or the remake)?
Fly Away Home?
The Rookie (w/Dennis Quaid)?
The Black Stallion?
Ice Princess?
The Man from Snowy River?
Father of the Bride (the remake w/Steve Martin)?
Cheaper by the Dozen (the original w/Myrna Loy)?
Belles on Their Toes (sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen)?

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#21 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:41 AM

"Labyrinth, but nope, David Bowie’s trousers"

Really - kids look at that - funny cause my 3 (ages 3, 6 and 19 days from 11) watched that this weekend and funny - no one pointed it out to me.

We also watched The Dark Crystal, The Princes Bride, and Karate Kid I and II.

My daughter loves The Prince and Me (the first one), as well as both of The Princess Diaries movies, for the "girly" factor, we also like Legend (aka Tom Cruise 80s fanasty flix), in addition to the fanasty movies names above, as well as the Harry Potter movies (but that is magic so surely a no-no)

ETA: Honestly i have my daughter choose a few movies and ask the moms of the girls invited if they have seen that movie before/or approve for their daughter to see it.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#22 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I dunno; I think talking animals would be fine (surely talking animals wouldnt' offend anyone... right?), but maybe not characters performing magic. And yeah, witchcraft is out. I'm trying to think of insanely inoffensive movies, but it's hard! Shrek has potty humour, Fly Away Home has a girl getting her nose pierced, The Parent Trap has some sexual references... I've only seen bits of Ella Enchanted, but doesn't she rip her skirt off (to a shorter version, I mean, not altogether) during the final dance? Is that offendable, do you think?

Isn't pluggedin the site that said The Fellowship of the Ring had mild sexuality because of the scene with hobbits dancing? Would anything pass the test on that site?
Quote:
Really - kids look at that - funny cause my 3 (ages 3, 6 and 19 days from 11) watched that this weekend and funny - no one pointed it out to me.
I was kidding. I disallowed it for the magic thing, which some parents might find offensive.

I hasten to add that I don't find these films offensive at all - I have a degree in film and have watched some truly foul and controversial cinema, so I'm not coming from a place of sheltered lily-whiteness here.

#23 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 02:55 AM

Oh - i was worried about teh pants - Whew - ROFL - COMPLETELY forgot about the "magic" aspect - ROFLMBO

I think i am going to have to check out this pluggedin site for a laugh or 2... LOTR is mildly secual!?!?!? LOL

#24 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustmamie View Post
Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken?
Oh yeah!!! I saw this one on a band trip when I was 13 and LOVED it! Thanks for the great memory.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#25 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
#26 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 AM

milo and otis, though there was a bit of controversy when it first came out..
homeward bound
shoot, i thought i had some more!

eta: what was that movie about the zebra/racehorse? racing stripes

the olsen twin detective series?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#27 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 03:42 AM

i was going to suggest Daddy Day Care - but pluggedin.com said this about it:

under Other Negeative Elements:
Marvin credits the liberal tome Dr. Spock’s Baby and Child Care for giving him insight into children.

:

#28 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 03:57 AM

The Anne of Green Gables movies - I think they are Canadian? It's a long set of movies, and unless they object to orphans for some reason, there is really nothing in the movies which could be remotely offensive.

When I was in college, we used to do marathons of the movies sometimes. They're quite well done and keep pretty true to the books.

Not all who wander are lost.
#29 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

I used to love Milo and Otis. Watched it so often as a kid. In fact I had the music, Schumann's Of Foreign Lands and People, played when I went down the aisle at our wedding. (Not because of the movie, I just loved the tune...) Then I found out they had horrific standards of animal care throughout the movies. Notice how the cat changes size several times throughout the film? Yeah... apparently when they were filming a scene where the cat jumps off a waterfall, they just kept throwing cats over until one survived and they could get the shot. Sorta put me off. Not that that would make it an unsavoury film for children to watch per se... BUT... it has live footage of the births of kittens and puppies. What do you think? Too salacious?

Quote:
Marvin credits the liberal tome Dr. Spock’s Baby and Child Care for giving him insight into children.
Maybe we should make an MDC pluggedin site. NEGATIVES: The adoptive mother in Juno reads mainstream tome "What to Expect When You're Expecting".

That said, Pluggedin is hilarious, but I do kinda admire their thoroughness. At least parents know exactly what's going to happen in the movie, down to the last tiny detail. It caters to a market, you know?

elanorh: Yup, got the Anne movies. I might have to add a caveat about the scene where she gets Diana drunk, acourse. I'm not trying to pick on all the suggestions here, incidentally, I'm looking them all up!

#30 of 124 Old 11-11-2009, 04:15 AM

i'm looking them up too. very amusing!

re: milo and otis- I read somewhere that the throwing the cat over the waterfall thing and other supposed animal cruelty allegations are stuff of urban legends. but i wasn't there, so i cant really comment.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page