let's talk kid music! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 01-03-2010, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

Is there anyone who doesn't do kids music. I am really not interested in it and would just as soon have DD listen to our music. I remember when I was little and would hang out with my cousins that their mom would only let them listen to kids music and even then I hated it!
We don't do kid's music, with the exception of They Might Be Giants. We like their Science CD/DVD very much. The Alphabet one is pretty good too, but the Science one is better.

I hated the kids' music my younger siblings would listen to (over and over and over) when I was growing up .... I think a lot of kids' music is condescending and annoying. Our kids love TMBG, and Talking Heads, and U2 (dd1 saw her first U2 concert at a little past two years of age and LOVED it) -- we take them to a local bluegrass festival every year. They get lots of music, and we do some sing-along songs, but not the jangly kids stuff.

Not all who wander are lost.
#32 of 47 Old 01-03-2010, 03:19 AM

Great suggestions. I've been looking for stuff that DD can listen and dance to.

I bought her both Renee and Jeremy albums before Christmas. They are sweet, folky with upbeat stuff and lullaby type songs.
#33 of 47 Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 PM

In addition to the ones that have been mentioned already my kids like Justin Roberts, Joel Frankel(he is local so I am not sure if his stuff is avaliable all over the place), Trout Fishing in America and the album Mermaid Avenue
#34 of 47 Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM

Barenaked Ladies- Snacktime

All putumayo cd's

Stevesongs

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#35 of 47 Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like Leah Salomaa's cds

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#36 of 47 Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 PM

I don't think I saw anybody represent Justin Roberts. The man is awesome. I can listen to his CD's OVER AND OVER AGAIN and I love them and so does my 2 year old daughter and my husband.

We listen to a lot of non-kids music with our daughter, too, like Brett Dennen, John Mellencamp, and Bob Marley, Steve ****** Band etc. because they are some of our favorites and she enjoys them too.
#37 of 47 Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM

My son is into reggae and pop dance music lately.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#38 of 47 Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Frances England!!! She's the best. Also check out Greg Brown's Bathtub Blues. Woody Guthrie if your're in to the old timey stuff, oh, and Sam Hinton also (especially the Frog Song). Renee and Jeremy have some beautiful songs for children. Trout Fishing in America is great and funny!

More good ol timey is Burl Ives and Doc Watson. And don't forget good Jazz singles like Bei Mir Bist du Schöen (1937 Single ) by the Andrews Sisters or What a Little Moonlight Can Do by Billie Holiday.
#39 of 47 Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Agent 23 Skidoo is a local artist here in NC that is doing fun upbeat conscious kids hip hop. Whenever we go to shows almost as many parents dancing as kids. You can check it out www.secretagent23skidoo.com/
#40 of 47 Old 01-06-2010, 05:02 PM

All we've been listening to around here lately are BNL's "Snacktime" & Martin Medeski & Wood's "Let's Go Everywhere". We also like Belle & Sebastian (all of it, but they have a track on "Colours Are Brighter" called "The Monkeys Are Breaking Out" which is fun), Jack Johnson's soundtrack to "Curious George", Putamayo stuff, and Weezer's Blue Album.
#41 of 47 Old 01-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maekati View Post
Agent 23 Skidoo is a local artist here in NC that is doing fun upbeat conscious kids hip hop. Whenever we go to shows almost as many parents dancing as kids. You can check it out www.secretagent23skidoo.com/
Love him! Such great hip hop.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#42 of 47 Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM

We listen to BNL Snaketime, They Might Be Giants, NO! and Flood, Garcia/Grisman -Not for Kids Only. I'm assuming you like Martin Medeski and Wood's CD? I've been meaning to get that one. I don't mind these type of kid's music, but I can't get into Disney music or toddler tunes type stuff. If I'm going to rock the kids music it might as well by be artists I enjoy and music I can get into, too. We've been to a couple concerts and my oldest attended a weekend music festival when she was 8 months old. They love it. Especially my youngest. She definitely has an ear for music

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebee View Post
All we've been listening to around here lately are BNL's "Snacktime" & Martin Medeski & Wood's "Let's Go Everywhere". We also like Belle & Sebastian (all of it, but they have a track on "Colours Are Brighter" called "The Monkeys Are Breaking Out" which is fun), Jack Johnson's soundtrack to "Curious George", Putamayo stuff, and Weezer's Blue Album.

Christine, Brain Aneurysm Survivor SAHM, recently stopped nursing my 4.5 yr old and 3 yr old selective and delayed vax, organic food mama to Rhiannon 4.5 and Brynn 3 ribbonburgundy.gif
#43 of 47 Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maekati View Post
Wow! Thanks for this! We are listening to the freebie songs on his website right now. I'm going to get this on IToons for DD and I. She loves to dance to music and needs something more upbeat. The acoustic stuff is great, but an energetic dancing toddler needs music that goes along with the energy!

I love this thread. I'd have no clue about the majority of these artists if it wasn't for all you wonderful mamas!
#44 of 47 Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM

we listen to The Beatles, The Cars and DH plays Nat King Cole for DS, but as far as actual kid music there is a local group out here that we absolutely love called The Bad Goods. They sing about green topics, organic food, recycling, etc. Love them! Here is their myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/badgoodsmusic

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#45 of 47 Old 01-19-2010, 03:51 AM

DS loves the Putamyo Caribbean Playground CD, he even dances around in his car seat to it. And DH and I love it too, it's not annoying or too "kid music" sounding. It's a very happy, upbeat CD.

For mellow music, I really like Jewel's Lullabye CD and play that when DS is sleeping in the car.

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).
#46 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM

DS loves really simplistic songs with silly words (he liked one we heard on Sirius that went "Banana, banana, banana" over and over again, but I can't find the artis). Or just really simplistic tunes like The Chicken Dance. He doesn't like the ones that tell a story, like anything geared toward the elementary school set (he's 4). So any reco's? We have some of the Putomayo ones and some old Music Together CD's but he's not into any of those anymore.
#47 of 47 Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 AM

We like Lori Burkner band, Bob Marley;B is for Bob, GoFish is really upbeat;Party like a preschooler and Snazy-Christian based. Jack Johnson is another favorite.

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page