2012 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-14-2009, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else seen it? I saw it tonight and was surprised at how decent it was. I haven't liked anything by Roland Emmerlich, so I was kinda shocked at how I didn't hate this movie.

That said, I didn't really like it. Sure, it did what it was supposed to do and kept me entertained and totally on the edge of my seat almost the whole time, so in that respect it was awesome. But I just can't handle disaster movies now that I'm a mama - thinking of what we would be doing in those situations, how scared Toby would be... nope, not for me. Not watching these things anymore, seriously.

The effects alone were worth seeing this movie though. Whew!! Also, the monk guy, the young one, he was kinda hot

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 11-14-2009, 07:19 AM

#3 of 25 Old 11-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My husband and 10 year old are going to see it right now. I am staying home with the 6 year old. I want to see it, but honestly, I'd have my hands over my face for half of it. I HATE giant waves and vast ocean scenes. I despise aircraft carriers. I can't watch flooding tunnels and all that. I had to close my eyes during the trailer for Disney's Ocean movie, coming out in April.
#4 of 25 Old 11-14-2009, 09:20 PM

We went and saw it with the girls last night. My girls are majorly into the sci-fi end of the world stuff and have been watching every special on it they could. So this was a special treat for them. It recieved the PG-13 rating because of the language, which doesnt affect my kiddos, and the action sequences of disaster. Nothing gory, and no sex stuff. I know a lot of kids that wouldn't be able to handle it, but our girls are into this kind of stuff. We couldn't take our son because of his anxiety, it just wouldn't go well for him as he'd be really worried about the "what ifs". But the girls really liked it and we enoyed it too. It was predictable though, which I kinda knew going into it. Lots of action. I found myself holding my breath a couple times, lol.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#5 of 25 Old 11-14-2009, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I came out of the theater with a sore neck from being so tense!! Yeesh there were parts that were insane!

The "what ifs" drive me nuts too. I should know better than to go see a disaster movie without DH to keep me grounded. Pooh.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#6 of 25 Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd like to go see it, but I have the idea that it's better to see it with someone rather than alone.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 25 Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 PM

We're going to see it next week. DD will stay at home.
I like disaster films. Tidal waves, earthquakes, ice storms, flooding,...none of that bother me. I can't handle horror films but disaster films don't bother me.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#8 of 25 Old 11-15-2009, 09:44 PM

I love disaster flicks and can't wait to see this one. I don't care how many plot holes there are. Bring on the giant city flooding waves, building shattering earthquakes, all that crazy stuff, the more the better.
#9 of 25 Old 11-15-2009, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
I love disaster flicks and can't wait to see this one. I don't care how many plot holes there are. Bring on the giant city flooding waves, building shattering earthquakes, all that crazy stuff, the more the better.
Seeing this thread made me go see the trailer (we don't have TV) online and this looks like something I would love! I love the end of the world type movies

Seriously?
#10 of 25 Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 PM
caj

I loved this film, I love disaster film and I was very very disappointed with Knowing and was glad that this film was so good!
I couldn't stop thinking about the "what if's" as well, especially with DD. We talked about those later on. He hated the fact that Queen Elizabeth had to survive

Mommy to Celeste (5)
#11 of 25 Old 11-15-2009, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DH and I have to see that. Not because we thought it looked any good, but because the first movie we saw together on our first date-that-wasn't-a-date (long story) was The Day After Tomorrow. So cheesy, overblown-budgeted disaster movies have a kind of twisted sentimental value to us.

Then again, we also saw Resident Evil III on our first wedding anniversary. And he proposed to me after an episode of Buffy (not a romantic one, the one where Faith stabs that guy). So we have sentimental associations with a lot of unlikely media.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#12 of 25 Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My husband and daughter really liked it. I don't know if I can handle it. If I close my eyes during the water scenes, I gather I'll miss a good portion of the movie, including most of the last half hour.
#13 of 25 Old 11-16-2009, 03:53 AM

#14 of 25 Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
DH and I have to see that. Not because we thought it looked any good, but because the first movie we saw together on our first date-that-wasn't-a-date (long story) was The Day After Tomorrow. So cheesy, overblown-budgeted disaster movies have a kind of twisted sentimental value to us.

Then again, we also saw Resident Evil III on our first wedding anniversary. And he proposed to me after an episode of Buffy (not a romantic one, the one where Faith stabs that guy). So we have sentimental associations with a lot of unlikely media.
Oh Buffy! We are watching it for the first time right now and loooving it.

How funny about Day After Tomorrow. DH proposed to me after we saw Poseidon, a similarly crappyish movie that was directed by the same guy I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrabella View Post
It sounds really good. I haven't seen the trailer, and will have to wait unti it's out on DVD anyway.

I love those sorts of movies.
But then, I really do believe that something is coming in 2012.
I kinda wish I had rented it instead of paying $9 to go see it, so I'd wait till it comes out on DVD The whole 2012 thing terrifies the crap out of me. If I start hearing about ritual mass suicides at Mayan temples, I am building a freakin' space ship. Yikes!

#15 of 25 Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 PM

#16 of 25 Old 11-16-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Are you me?

I feel the same way.

I have a fascination with disaster films. I can watch Day After Tomorrow; Deep Impact, The Core, etc. many times.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#17 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 PM

I loved it! But then, I love any type of disaster flick. I think I've seen The Day After Tomorrow about 37 times I love anything having to do with the end of the world, I watch all those specials on Discovery, History Channel, Nat Geo, etc. I love them.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#18 of 25 Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 AM

It was just okay for me. The disaster stuff was cool, but as a film it failed. I fell asleep twice and was begging for it to end.
#19 of 25 Old 11-19-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
Are you me?

I feel the same way.

I have a fascination with disaster films. I can watch Day After Tomorrow; Deep Impact, The Core, etc. many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaBeanie View Post
I loved it! But then, I love any type of disaster flick. I think I've seen The Day After Tomorrow about 37 times I love anything having to do with the end of the world, I watch all those specials on Discovery, History Channel, Nat Geo, etc. I love them.
My people!

Dh and I went to see it Sunday and I LOVED it! I have a high tolerance for cheezy fun!

I love horror, sci-fi and disaster films.

I love romantic comedies.

I cannot watch sad drama. I get so bummed and keep thinking about it for way too long afterward. My brother even warns me "You won't be able to handle this drama movie, it has a very sad ending."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#20 of 25 Old 11-21-2009, 02:36 AM

Hello friends,

I did enjoy it, though, like Leon, I actually got bored from it after a while. It dragged much too long. The first 30-40mins or so, were the most enjoyable scenes in the whole film. The overblown special effects, with moments where you just want to yell "YOU LUCKY" at the screen- but in a good way. I was almost in tears from how crazy that scene was where John Cusack was driving through California with a limo packed with his family.
Really, when they're trying to escape the Earth's clutches, it's intense with pretty hilarious moments. Well, hilarious if you find pedestrians running for their lives hilarious.
If I were to cut out the first half of the film, and make it into a movie of its own, It'd be called "Comic Relief: THE MOVIE".
My God, they tried really hard with their comic relief characters. Some even come out of the blue, like one lady who looks out her door and notices a giant crack in the ground and says "I told you we shoulda stayed in Wisconsin!".

For any characters I enjoyed in this film, it'd be Woody Harrelson. He was incredibly unnecassary, but he was the only one to get some good laughs out of me. Sometimes it's just so completely laughable that he's in the film because it's so utterly pointless.

At points in the film, it tried to take a serious tone, which just made the film even more awkward since you always have someone throw an unnecassary joke every once in a while. This movie was a joke, and basically one of those movies and everything bad that can happen DOES happen. Sometimes that wasn't enough, and they never gave it back to us. Which made the film just drag.
Then again, there wasn't really much you could do with this film. The fact that the movie is based on the END of the world, I sat there wondering, "How the hell will they end this movie, if they're all going to die?".
A happy ending doesn't seem to fit the concept of this movie.

Thank you!!

acai berry
#21 of 25 Old 11-23-2009, 12:10 AM

Saw it Saturday (on a date with DH - yippee!!), and was not impressed. I am a huge disaster movie fan (LOVED The Day After Tomorrow), and this one was just not disaster - y enough for me. I knew from the very beginning everything would turn out okay for ______ (no spoilers), and it was way too predictable. I hate to say it, but I love it when a main character dies senselessly (you know, not trying to save someone). The set up to the action was too fast but too shallow, too. Hard to explain that comment, but they focused on the wrong stuff for me.

Still we will buy it and watch it again on our big TV. I wasn't feeling well for the first part, so I'd like to see it again. Thought Woody Harrelson was funny, and probably fairly realistic for him (not so much acting...). Not worth $21 for one viewing.

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#22 of 25 Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 AM

I thought the special effects where great. I love a good disaster movie and having graphics that look real was a bonus. I truly believe one day Cali will fall into the ocean like that.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#23 of 25 Old 11-23-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I thought the special effects where great. I love a good disaster movie and having graphics that look real was a bonus.
I agree about the California disintegrating being well-done. I also noticed the people falling out of the torn-apart office buildings. Nice touch.

(I know, last comment is horrible. And I am a Buddhist. These types of movies are very escapist for me, though. I don't like to see real suffering, and I was very glad the movie wasn't gory. Can't help myself. I like shark movies, too.)

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#24 of 25 Old 11-23-2009, 12:27 AM

When I was watching that scene I was touched a bit by sadness thinking how possible that this would happen in the future I like when a movie can bring out strong emotion in me. Something that never happened before I had kids. I always thought people who cried at movies where silly now if I am not careful I do it

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#25 of 25 Old 11-25-2009, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

i was soooo disappointed. what crap. typical hollywood sentimentality and sensationalism.

loved the special effects though. its for that reason i am glad i saw it on the big screen. was definitely worth it.

but PEOPLE!!!!! please cant you have a better story line? REALLY!! noahs ark. the helicopters like the doves flying around. son swims to daddy and saves the day. puhlease!!!!

a good story line could have sooo turned this into a GREAT film.

i am a special effects gal so i loved that. but most of the time i was rolling my eyes.

i kinda knew what i was getting into. and all that 2012 crap and feeding into it really pisses me off. esp. the mayans who are one of our early scientists who discovered zero, who did some awesome stuff with astronomy with v. primitive tools. those people committing mass suicide?!!!! NO WAY!!! dont insult those poor people. they are not dumb!!!!

however today was my first break in a while. my choices were precious or 2012. i didnt feel emotionally strong this evening to watch precious so instead i chose 'entertainment'. however it comes at a cost and leaves me v. dissatisfied.

and excuse me!!! i dont believe we can create technology like noah's ark to 'save us' from destruction. esp. if you read the book or watched the movie 'the world without us'. how v. arrogant of us to think we can conquer nature. we can survive such a time on earth.

perhaps i am way too cynical.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page