Anyone else loving the Black Dagger Brotherhood? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 94 Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been a long time since I was really, really addicted to a series.

Probably Twilight was the last series I just couldn't put down.

I started reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward and I'm on the 3rd book and still loving them. The characters are fantastic and the stories so unique and interesting. I'm loving them.

Anyone else reading them?
#2 of 94 Old 11-25-2009, 04:03 PM

I just read them all this past week!
#3 of 94 Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 AM

Tell me more. I'm looking for something wonderful and diverting...
#4 of 94 Old 11-30-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, to me, they're fantastic. Completely absorbing. It's the story of The Black Dagger Brotherhood - they are vampire warriors who are defending the vampire race from a group who want to kill them. They're very much a classic good vs. evil story but, in a really fascinating way.

You get each brother's story. They're definitely romance and they do have explicit sex in them so be aware that these are no Twilight books. But, they're also action packed, lots of twists and turns, lots of unexpected events - I can't tell you how many times I was holding my breath reading as fast as I could to find out what happened next. For me, they are so engrossing. The characters are so interesting. There's nothing formula about these books. You know how vampire stories are a dime a dozen these days - well, these books are unique and interesting. I was hooked within minutes of starting the first book.
#5 of 94 Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 AM
crl

I really liked those as well. Sadly I finished them. JR Ward just started another, vaguely related, series; Covert is the first book.

Catherine
#6 of 94 Old 12-01-2009, 01:43 AM

I have read the first and started the second, I really like them too. After all the "fade to black" in Twilight it is nice to read something that doesn't have that.
#7 of 94 Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Oh. man I want to read these books so bad! I think I might have to give them to myself for Christmas.
#8 of 94 Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely give them to yourself for Christmas!

You know, I think I've figured out what I love about these books - the characters are super flawed. Usually in vampire stories, the vampires are perfect - they're gorgeous, intelligent, rich, perfect..... But, in these books, each brother has had a really rough life, they've survived a lot. And each character has a lot of baggage. It's so fascinating to me to read the back stories on how they came to be who they are at this point in their stories. There's lot of dark secrets, internal demons that drive them.
#9 of 94 Old 12-03-2009, 12:43 PM

I've been thinking about this series a bit more. I think the writing is superior to Twilight. The content is obviously more adult. I definitely preferred it, and at the rate I was reading them--one a day and ordering on my Kindle as soon as I finished one, the series definitely kept me interested!

But, I do think she was a bit formulaic in the storyline. I haven't decided yet if that is a good thing or bad thing. Each book is about one of the Brothers and his True Love. Each Brother has a traumatic history. Each Brother finds healing through their True Love. Each Brother almost loses True Love. All True Loves find a way to live a really, really long time too. Also, it seemed that all True Loves except for Beth were in some kind of social or medical service work.

I am eager to see what happens in the next book, though, so I guess the formula works after all.

Holli
#10 of 94 Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Holi - very true assessment.

You know, I was discussing these with a friend and she didn't think they were as deep as I do. And after reading your thoughts, I wonder if they speak more to me because I'm a social worker and worked in the medical field? I never thought about it before but, after reading your thoughts, maybe I relate more with the characters so that's why I find it so much more interesting? I don't know???
#11 of 94 Old 12-03-2009, 04:31 PM
crl

I agree that they are formulaic. But I like the formula. I think part of the attraction for me is, as a previous poster pointed out, the male vampires are far from perfect. I actually think the females are rather varied in personality/history/looks, which also appeals to me. Overall I find the main characters pretty likeable, which is a big part of whether or not I like a book.

The true love heals all thing is a bit annoying though, especially if I think about it much. Honestly though, for me these are fast, easy reads that don't require a ton of thought. And that's a good part of the appeal. They are definitely for an adult audience, but not in the orgy-as-distraction-from-lack-of-plot way that Laurell K. Hamilton books are.

Catherine
#12 of 94 Old 12-04-2009, 01:02 AM

I read them and LOVE them! I agree with Holli that they are very, very formulaic. I'm not crazy about that but I try not to overthink it. Like Catherine, I just like that they are quick, easy reads and extremely interesting.

I think my favorite brothers so far are Rhage, V and Z. I'm loving Qhuinn too!

I have trouble with John Matthew though because I somehow picture him in my head as DJ Qualls circa "Road Trip." Not even remotely tough.
#13 of 94 Old 12-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Okay, I'm getting the first one for Christmas, so I'll pop back in here once I've read to give my 2 cents. Can't wait!!
#14 of 94 Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 AM

I just started this series and love it so far. Is the one that came out last April, Lover Mine, the last one?

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#15 of 94 Old 09-29-2010, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I finally found the Black Dagger Series. Yes, I've been under a rock all this time. I've read quite a number of vampire series, but I absolutely love the BDB series the best. A PP post said it best. There's nothing perfect about these vampires. They're so flawed.

Has anyone gone on YouTube and looked up the Black Dagger Brotherhood? There are quite a number of clips of what people think the brothers look like. Unfortunately a lot of the people use famous actors which ruins it for me, but there's one gal who has an amazing upload. Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQGUvcxmVY
She even went so far to so colorize the eyes right and give Zsadist his scars.
Her other clips about Vishous and Jane are good too. I love Vishous and Zsadist the best.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#16 of 94 Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 PM

The clip is great! Now I have even better pictures in my head. I am in love with this series. I couldn't believe I hadn't discovered it before either since I've read quite a bit of vampire lit. I like this series even better than the Sookie Stackhouse books which is saying a lot. I'm taking my time with the books (am reading other books at the same time, too) and am only just now finishing up the third one, Zsadist (and Bella's) story and so far he is my favourite but I also love Vishous and can't wait to get to his book.

I do agree about the formula for the love stories but there is enough other interesting stories going on at the same time and that carry through each book that keep me really interested. Which is part of what I like - how there are stories carried between the books. One of my complaints is that it seems that once a brother's story is told then we rarely see them or their mate again! I really like Wrath and Rhage and now they and Mary and Beth are hardly in the books anymore. LOL

I was not expecting Wellsie to be killed. Yikes. I was wondering if there are going to be anymore books after Lover Mine. Specifically if there will be a story for Tohr. I didn't think there would be considering he was in a happy "marriage" but now that Wellsie is gone...

#17 of 94 Old 09-29-2010, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecat View Post
The clip is great! Now I have even better pictures in my head. I am in love with this series. I couldn't believe I hadn't discovered it before either since I've read quite a bit of vampire lit. I like this series even better than the Sookie Stackhouse books which is saying a lot.
Hey, me too! I came to BDB from the Sookie Stackhouse series.
Quote:
I do agree about the formula for the love stories but there is enough other interesting stories going on at the same time and that carry through each book that keep me really interested. Which is part of what I like - how there are stories carried between the books. One of my complaints is that it seems that once a brother's story is told then we rarely see them or their mate again! I really like Wrath and Rhage and now they and Mary and Beth are hardly in the books anymore. LOL

Yep, same here. It's like they drop off the face of the BD world after their story is covered.

Quote:
I was not expecting Wellsie to be killed. Yikes. I was wondering if there are going to be anymore books after Lover Mine. Specifically if there will be a story for Tohr. I didn't think there would be considering he was in a happy "marriage" but now that Wellsie is gone...
I hope there's a Tohr romance.

One of the things I like about the series is that Ward isn't afraid to kill off characters. In a major war like the one between the vampires and the lessers, there are bound to be casualties among those the Brothers love. I was sad when Wellsie died. She was a strong secondary character.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#18 of 94 Old 09-30-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
One of the things I like about the series is that Ward isn't afraid to kill off characters. In a major war like the one between the vampires and the lessers, there are bound to be casualties among those the Brothers love. I was sad when Wellsie died. She was a strong secondary character.
I agree.

I *just* finished Lover Awakened and was crying at the end when Bella tells Zsadist she is pregnant. Very touching.

I've ordered (used) copies of the next two from Amazon - can't wait to get them!

#19 of 94 Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM

OK, i read to much of this thread. lol

Im on book two. I am coming off of the sookie books, then twilight, so the sex has me a bit .

So far I like them though. I will have to check out that link of who the brothers look like when i get home.

I think its kinda funny that I keep trying to picture rhage as looking like a young Brad Pitt, and then Mary described brad having NOTHING on Rhage. so ok, guess I was off the mark.

And for some reason, I cant picture Wrath without also picturing him wearing a black mini cowboy hat. Like the ones Brett Michaels likes to wear all the time. Not sure why. . Im awful at pcituring characters in my head.
#20 of 94 Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM

I love Zsadist. I could have read 1000 pages about him alone.

Thanks to this thread, BTW- I ordered all 8 and read them in a week

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#21 of 94 Old 11-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Zsadist has been my favourite so far but I am only on the 4th book. I am taking my time with these as I love them so much! I can see Vishous is becoming a favourite of mine, too, as there's quite a bit of him in book 4.

I can't wait to read Rehvenge and John Matthew's books, too.

LOL Gina about your pictures!

#22 of 94 Old 11-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Its like Im picturing Wrath looking like that guy from Full tilt poker. lol only bigger. I think thats it.

I actually ordered the set from LTD commodities, but it only went up to book 6. I will have to buy the other 2 (or 3?) seperatly. How many are there exactly?
#23 of 94 Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 PM

I just bought the first 7 books for $20 off a bulletin board - I picked them up last night!  I also got the audiobook of Lover Avenged from the library so I will put that on my iPod.  I wonder how the narrator is...

I believe the book that came out earlier this year is the 9th and there is another scheduled to come out in April (?) 2011.  I am not sure how many more are planned.

Still finishing up the 4th book - just read 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

where Vishous jumped off the ledge.

I just love these books!

#24 of 94 Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 AM

DAMN IT!  I had this big long post and it disappeared on me.  AGH!

#25 of 94 Old 11-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Oh that is too bad!  I would like to read it.

I just found a deleted scene and some other scenes that she calls "slices of life" on J.R. Ward's website.

Just started Vishous' book!

#26 of 94 Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 AM

I just finished Z and Bella.  Holy Happily Ever After!  LOL  I really enjoyed it though, my fav so far. 

I started Butch and Marissa Saturday night.  That guy cracks me up!  I love him and V together, they are a hoot. 

The Lessers bore me to death.  I always want to skip their pages.  But I force myself to read on because I know there is going to be some hidden clue in there somewhere.  OH, and I knew X would be back.  That guy drove me bonkers. 

#27 of 94 Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

I loved Z and Bella!  I've reread that one a couple times.

I didn't like John Matthew's story at all.  I don't really like him, I don't really like Xhex.  I didn't believe their "love" story was about anything more than sex. 

Didn't  love how that Youtube video portrayed the guys!  In my mind, they're massive, rugged, super masculine men.  Those guys were all model pretty boys.  Not at all my idea of what the Brothers look like. 

#28 of 94 Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 AM

i actually still havent had a chance to veiw that youtube yet.  I keep forgetting about it when i get home at night.  lol  plus I dont want to get on the computer again, I want to pick up my recent copy of BDB.  ROTFLMAO.gifI did google BDB and look at some of the images that came up.  One website was fanpop.com.  OMG, some of them were FUNNY.  I seriously cant think of Z and not think of Vin Deisel.  But then I try to imagine Phury and cant come up with anything.  Because Vin with long, multicolored hair just looks silly, not sexy.  lol 

I havent gotten to much of John Matthews story yet, I mean, I already know WHO he is, because Im a cheat.  But its not grabbing me.  I kinda felt the same way about Rhage and mary.  THat was just some raunchy, hardcore SEX rather then passionate love.  Atleast I thought so. 

#29 of 94 Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 PM

I've just started Vishous' story but from what I know (I could be totally wrong) I think they are one of the few love stories where there seems to be common interests as opposed to just sex. :lol  Rhage and Mary...um yeah.  Haven't gotten to John Matthew and Xhex yet thought I know the characters and am getting tired of John's whining.

I actually do like the lesser stories too.  It's a lot of why I like these books - they aren't just romance with some other silly storyline(s) thrown in.  I really enjoy almost all the other storylines and the romances are almost secondary to me.  They are a tad too much good vs. evil to me which I find boring but that is why I like reading some of the lesser's side too.  I wish there was more.

Agreed the brothers are not model types except maybe Rhage.

Can we talk about actual storylines/plot points here or should we spoilerize them?

#30 of 94 Old 11-18-2010, 04:23 AM

Since there is only a handful of us, i say why not?  LOL  Also, I tried to start a thread in Book clubs I think, and it got moved here, soooooo shrug.gif

I purposly ruin things for myself sometimes, so it doesnt bother ME.  So my opinion is subjective. 

John is also getting on my nerves.  Let it out, man, just let it OUT. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page